Here are some ways DC can improve. Feel free to add.

john9618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By john9618

1. The cartoon/anime movies such as flash point and son of batman are really high quality. If DC could somehow manage a few seasons of a TV series with the same high quality voice acting, stories, and computer graphics/visuals, there would be more interest in DC. btw there are plenty of stories to choose from in dc comics.

2. I like how the injustice game is being produced along side the comic and that method could be used to introduce another series.

3. There are some CW TV shows that are lacking in the visual effects department. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The quality of the animated films have been consistently bad or mediocre, a result of either shoestring budgets (the New 52 filmverse) or pandering hard to the lowest common denominator (The Killing Joke).

The Injustice comic is a just cash-in being used to piggyback off the success of the game.

The CW shows are never going to improve in visual quality, not when they have to put out over 20 episodes a season, and air on network TV.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@john9618: .... These are not the problem at all !

1. Son of Batman is one of DC's worth animated movie ! And I hate the CGI they use in there recent movies !
  2. There are too many comics in DC more and more around there games and movies is too much
  3. The Show are TV Shows ! And it's CW producing them so as CW to put in more money !

No what DC needs is:

1. Stop doing so many crossovers, the New52 was full of it. Sometimes it was pointless (Batman crossovers), sometimes it made the titles undreadable if you didn't buy the other titles (Green Lantern crossovers).
  2. Stop having so many titles. Batman, All-Star Batman, Detective Comics, Batwoman, Batgirl, Nightwing, Birds of Prey, Harley Quinn, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Batman Beyond, ... currently only for the Bat-Familly !
  3. Use the other good heroes they have ! Captain Marvel/Shazam! , Lobo, The Question, Stormwatch, Jonah Hex, Orion, Immortal Man, Vandale Savage, Animal Man, The Ray, Doom Patrol, Azrael, The Forever Peole, Challengers of the Unknown, ...
Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jb681131 said:

@john9618: .... These are not the problem at all !

1. Son of Batman is one of DC's worth animated movie ! And I hate the CGI they use in there recent movies !
  2. There are too many comics in DC more and more around there games and movies is too much
  3. The Show are TV Shows ! And it's CW producing them so as CW to put in more money !

No what DC needs is:

1. Stop doing so many crossovers, the New52 was full of it. Sometimes it was pointless (Batman crossovers), sometimes it made the titles undreadable if you didn't buy the other titles (Green Lantern crossovers).
  2. Stop having so many titles. Batman, All-Star Batman, Detective Comics, Batwoman, Batgirl, Nightwing, Birds of Prey, Harley Quinn, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Batman Beyond, ... currently only for the Bat-Familly !

Because money. that's why.

1. Use the other good heroes they have ! Captain Marvel/Shazam! , Lobo, The Question, Stormwatch, Jonah Hex, Orion, Immortal Man, Vandale Savage, Animal Man, The Ray, Doom Patrol, Azrael, The Forever Peole, Challengers of the Unknown, ...

I coudn't agree more! But it seems they want want to highlight the more known heroes *cough because of the movies/tv shows cough*. I bet if there was a Booster Gold movies/tv-show we'd have had an ongoing. Unfortunately, (not always) that's how it works these days.

touma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just want them to bring back constentine show.

FreedomZebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john9618:

1. Just going to have to disagree with you there. Their recent animated movies are awful, with the exception of Gods and Monsters. (I haven't seen JL Dark, so maybe that as well)
  2. I don't particularly care for tie-in comics, but I do like the alternate world set up. DC needs to do more Elseworld stories.
  3. Effects are not the Cw's biggest problem. Flash and Arrow are no fun to watch anymore with the exception of crossover episodes. They need to harness the pure comicbook-energy they use in those episodes and make their shows exciting again. They don't need the big budget, they just need some imagination and a change in tone.

@jb681131: I get what you're saying, but I must point out Doom Patrol is being used, and it's the best thing coming out of DC right now. And I would say each Batfamily title is different enough to justify their existence. Still, you are right. They should give us more variety in characters.

I think DC should have a Brave and The Bold title. That way they can do crossovers and team-ups without interrupting story-arcs and annoying fans.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What DC needs to do to improve is to invest in their talent. Stop relying on writers like Dan Jurgens, Scott Lobdell, Ben Percy, Bryan Hitch, Sam Humphries, etc to write books just because they can pump out scripts on a deadline while barely meeting a near-nonexistent threshold of quality. Character pandering at the expense of interesting and challenging stories will not work in the long run. DC needs to focus more on unearthing talents like Tom King, Mark Russell, and Steve Orlando, while also holding onto them (instead of letting them go like with Charles Soule and Genevieve Valentine). They need incentives for accomplished writers like Jeff Lemire to actually care enough to write for DC.

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

• Fix the movies. I am not at all excited about seeing a middle-aged Batman fighting along side a goddess that never ages and a Superman in his prime. Suicide Squad and BvS: DoW was not successful enough and Marvel is beating the shit out of us when it comes to the movies (not animated series though, hell no). The only way we're still competing against Marvel is because of Nolan's well crafted Dark Knight Trilogy.
  • Hire better directors for movies, Zack Snyder was good in Watchmen and Man of Steel, but his style isn't working with the DC from the comics, at least for me.
  • Don't kill off characters that were so relevant in previous stories just because they don't fit into the current timelines. I hated the way they killed of Anti-Monitor in Darkseid War Act, just having him disintegrated by Steve Trevor because he had some Anti-Life power from Grail.
  • Continue to make awesome characters but don't make them irrelevant. For example, Grail and the Phantom Lantern in Rebirth, both looking to be very intriguing characters but seriously where did Grail go with baby Darkseid and what will happen to Laminski now that the Phantom Ring is off of him.
  • Where is Shazam Rebirth still damn it!
  • As others have said, don't sacrifice quality for quantity, get writers that actually can craft masterful stories and not just meet a deadline and appeal to fans who just like to see their characters look high and mighty.

I say we because I like DC more than Marvel when it comes to Comics and I'm a huge DC fan and would side myself with DC, if DC vs Marvel was an actual war. Not that I necessarily hate Marvel, just like DC more.

Avatar image for name_already_chosen
name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. To everyone involved with DC: Stop wishing you were Marvel! When I want to see a Marvel superhero story on the silver screen, I watch a Marvel movie. When I watch a DC movie, I would like to see a DC superhero story, not an insincere imitation of a Marvel movie but using DC-owned characters. When I want to read a Marvel superhero story, I purchase a Marvel comic book, not the New 52. I would like my DC comic books to have DC stories in them and to stop giving me desperate imitations of Marvel.

2. Never allow Zach Snyder near any property owned by DC ever again. Never. Again.

3. Stop apologizing for the idealism, nobility, and mythic grandeur that are the heritage of DC comics and that set it apart from Marvel's adolescent angst, pessimism, and street-level groundedness. I want a live-action cinema Superman who can give me the famous "world of cardboard" speech that still thrills us all these years after the cancellation of JLU. I want a Wonder Woman who is not merely a warrior princess (those are a dime a dozen any more) but also an ambassador of peace who treasures it as a victory when she can solve a problem non-violently. I want a Batman who genuinely wants to rehabilitate Riddler, Clayface, The Scarecrow, The Mad Hatter -- and who occasionally succeeds at it! I want a Legion of Superheroes that leaves me gaping with awe at the universe in a way no Marvel comic book or film can ever hope to manage, instead of these constant LoS reboots that give me Legionnaires spouting tired stock phrases about cynicism and "outgrowing" optimism. I want a live-action television series Supergirl who never again spouts "girl power" cliches as though her writers were pandering men who have never met a real flesh-and-blood female teenager before and who should see a therapist about their condescending form of gender guilt. I want a live action cinema Green Lantern who never again sounds like he is competing on Road Rules or The Real World.

4. Bring back the red trunks. Right now, a trunkless Superman alternates between looking like a caped streaker or exhibitionist with a Ken doll anatomy and looking like a Silver Surfer wanna-be or Marvel clone. DC, you got rid of those trunks for one of the most cynical, dishonorable reasons possible; have the courage and self-respect to bring them back.

5. Stop the hackneyed iconoclasm: I want Oans who share the wisdom and credibility of a Gandalf, a non-ironic Merlin, a Yoda from the original trilogy, maybe even an Aslan, instead of your giving me yet another retread of the tired old idea that we should never trust anyone, especially not people in power like the Oans. Yes, there are terrible people in power sometimes, as our recent election shows, but not everyone in power is a bad person.

6. Create more original characters that bring diversity to DC comics, rather than change original characters. I don't want to see any more people of color forced into hand-me-down superhero identities -- create new ones, and don't keep centering any such new identities around racial cliches! (I really miss Milestone Comics.) I don't want to see any more women or transgendered individuals forced into left-over superhero identities that happened to be lying around unless it's a "family" sort of thing (such as a Supergirl as part of the S-family or a Batwoman as part of the Bat-family) -- let's see some original female characters! I don't want to see any more characters have their sexuality determined by whatever was trending this week, and if a character does come out as gay or lesbian, leave that character as gay or lesbian! (And no more coming out in an issue that looks as though it should have an NC-17 rating for its artwork.) Finally, when it comes to religions and lack thereof, if a superpowered character is allegedly atheist, I want there to be a genuinely reasonable, rational, believable reason that any sane superhero would be an atheist in a reality in which he or she has met gods, faerie folk, wizards, actual Biblical angels, and visiting ghosts. How about a character who is an apatheist instead (i.e. neither a believer nor an atheist but simply someone who doesn't care, either way)?

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Klaus

@princeleif: The only thing Marvel is winning in, in the movie department is reception. People make the mistake of comparing phase 1 DC movies to phase 3 Marvel movies, but if you compare the box office return of the first three DC movies to that of the first three Marvel movies, DC has made more money so far.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john9618: I'm going to assume you mean the DC movie are 'high quality' in terms of animation/voice acting (because they haven't been great on a story level). Movies (even direct to video) have a much higher budget than animated tv shows so that level of quality is generally unobtainable for TV.

Generally speaking, DC has fix many of their issues with Rebirth. However if they were to do more:

• Get Snyder (and his cronies) off of the Batman books. They have been a mess for a while and not one of the Rebirth Bat books have been more than mediocre.
  • Fire Scott Lobdell. Not only is he a terrible writer, but fans hate him and having him still work for DC is a black eye on the company.
  • Avoid going down the Marvel 'SJW diversity for diversity sake' route and respect your characters and readers more than prioritizing getting social justice brownie points.
  • Be sparing with the big events; they ruined N52 Justice League.
  • Let other characters than Batman shine in big events.
  • Don't let big events jerk around the stories of characters like it was just an afterthought. Nightwing has always gotten this really badly from Bludhaven getting nuked for Infinite Crisis to his circus getting torched for Death of the Family to him losing his secret identity in Forever Evil.
  • Don't be afraid to try new things, but be respectful of the characters and their history when you do so.
  • Stop killing off characters if you are just going to bring them back in a year. Comic fans don't fall for it anymore and it isn't shocking.
  • Rather than publishing books that are guaranteed to sell terribly like Prez and Green Team, give Shazam and other formerly popular characters their own books.
  • Bring back the real JSA and Power Girl because Earth 2 has been a mess since James Robinson left years ago.
ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: Gonna have to disagree with some of your points.

I think Batman: Beyond and Red Hood & The Outlaws have been fun books to read. And while it is shocking, Scott is doing well on the book.

And I think two of your points contradict each other. World-shattering events like Forever Evil and Infinite Crisis should have big implications and impact characters.

And I doubt a book like Prez or Green Team impacts whether another book is written. And Earth-2 has been a very different and compelling book up until recently. I don't see any real need aside from Nostalgia to have the JSA.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they wrote their characters how they actually are in the comics instead of changing them and had someone who's creative who knew the characters and could oversee everything they'd be fine a lot of their characters are cooler then marvel ones and more creative but WB is horrible at managing and hiring right personell

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: Beyond, a book that isn't influenced by Snyder, has been decent. However I don't really count that as a Bat book per se. Yes, it is a 'Batman' book, but it isn't influenced by mainline continuity. It might sound weird, but that's my reasoning.

As for Red Hood, I wouldn't know. I refuse to read anything by Lobdell ever again. I think many comic fan would probably agree with me on that.

Yes, big events should affect characters. However, the events in particular that I mentioned drove an axe into the solo stories that were being told at the time. I'm sure similar things have happened to other characters, but those are the ones I remember most vividly.

I have to admit, the JSA bit was because I absolutely adore the real JSA; they are my favourite super team. I don't think bringing them back would be just to appeal to nostalgia. Rebirth is suppose to be about DC returning to form to appeal to long-term fans. Bringing the proper JSA back would be just a big as when they brought back pre-Flashpoint Superman. Hell, DC can keep Earth 2 if they just reintroduce classic WWII-Johns era JSA back into main-Earth.

I always bring up Prez and Green Team because DC spent money hiring writers and artists for those books when those funds would have been better spent on books more people would have cared about and bought. DC doesn't have unlimited funds and one book being published affects the possibilities of other books being made.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: As someone who was not happy to see Scott on RHaTO Rebirth, I understand your aversion. Still, it's been a surprisingly good book. I'd ask you give it three issues and see what you think.

As for your Event vs Solo argument, I think it's more a question, I feel, of the solo stories or event repercussions being more interesting. I think the approval Grayson got justified ending Nightwing.

And as for the JSA, I just don't know if a WWII team has much appeal in 2016. And I would even say bringing back Superman pre-Flashpoint was a nostalgia move. That's what Rebirth has been to me for most books. Green Arrow with Canary, Superdad, Wally West, Lobo, Titans, it all just seems done to appeal to older fans so you're right, but it's done through bringing back old stuff.

But there's something to be said about variety. Books like Green Team and Prez may not have been your cup of tea, but the books did have fans. I don't like Titans or and JL has been a bore. None of the Young Animal books look good to me either, but there is always a chance to find success if a book has a chance. I want a good Ragman book. Some want Shazam. They may not sell well and we probably won't blame the characters. But I think it's cool to see new books even if I don't read it.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: I don't want just the original WWII JSA characters, I want the Geoff Johns era team or a team with the same philosophy. What that means is a multi generational team with older heroes (golden age through bronze age) teaching the next generation of heroes. That is a unique premise, especially in DC where teams are generally segregated into age groups.

Seeing WWII heroes react to and operate in this paranoid and divided world is full of story potential, IMO, much more so than just another copy of the JLA in another universe.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: I think there is potential in that premise. However, I'd rather it be done in a new team. Or even a version of Infinity Inc.

john9618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: it looks like youre a real fan and not just trolling dc like a few others. still im going to have to half heartedly agree with you on the diversity for diversity's sake for a few reasons. before i respond let me ask you have you seen gotham? Im a fan of the cw shows but i just actually seen a episode of gotham on fox and its a really good show, and thats without all of the super hero effects in the action packed cw shows anyway..

1. if they want to be a global box office youve gotta make the movie more diverse, theres no other way. but i think they can still make a good movie. they just have to put forth the same film expertise and acting effort with the diverse casts right?

2. youre criticisms of snyder are partly correct. snyder directed man of steel and i know you like that movie...i figure something happened between that movie and BVS, maybe the type politics you mentioned lowered the qulity of the movie. maybe movies are like companies, the bigger they get, the less they focus on quality and start becoming bogged down by the system.

3. even though i i have more than a few good recently released comics, im just going to have to agree with you on the opinions about the comics and i think dc could use a good watchmen-like comic books

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john9618: Are you sure you tagged the right person because I never said anything about Zach Snyder.

I like Gotham more than it deserves. It has gotten significantly better after the first season since they went crazy with the show instead of it being just a cop show. If you want to watch it and you're a comic fan, you need to really convince yourself that it is a completely different story than you're used to. Though I still hate their constant usage of pre-established villains rather than creating their own more. I really hate their Joker.

There's nothing wrong with diversity; American media needs more diversity (other than segregated black shows/movies and token minority characters). However, there is a right, organic way of getting things more diverse and then there is the Marvel comics way. Race/gender/sexual orientation changing of pre-established characters is the wrong way. Killing off/depowering character and giving a minority character their name is the wrong way. Promoting existing minority characters or creating new ones with their own identity who aren't Mary-Sues is the right way.

I like both MoS and BvS, but I totally understand why people hate them. The mainstream audience still has the Christopher Reeve version of Superman in their heads, but that kind of movie wouldn't work in modern day. BvS's theatrical edit was a mess that the extended cut mostly fixed.

DC doesn't necessarily need another watershed comic like Watchmen, they just need to focus on telling good stories that respect their characters and readers.

Avatar image for name_already_chosen
name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

I like both MoS and BvS, but I totally understand why people hate them. The mainstream audience still has the Christopher Reeve version of Superman in their heads

Almost every comic fan I know hates them, and they hate them specifically because they do not see them as true to the way Superman has been depicted in the comic books themselves for at 3/4 of his history as a comic book character.

Most of us see MoS and BvS as betrayals of the comic books -- and as sell-outs, movies that intentionally ignored the comic books in order to imitate the darker side of Marvel films (and to imitate them badly) and to cater to particularly juvenile pretenses of cynicism and pessimism.

One of the most noteworthy characteristics of the DC universe (more often than not) has been its uplifting optimism or hopefulness and its mythic grandeur, even in its Batman titles, and both MoS and BvS seemed to be in a panic to disavow any connection to hopefulness and to neutralize any hint of mythic grandeur from its depiction. They seemed to be ashamed of the heroism of their heroes, apologizing that they couldn't find some way to make Superman and Batman even more bloodthirsty and petulantly grim and emotionally constipated.

Don't pretend that people who hated MoS and BvS were simply mired in nostalgia for Christopher Reeves' impressive performance as Superman. The people who hated MoS and BvS were people who had hoped to see characters with some fidelity to the comic books and found none.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By adamTRMM

People who whine about the idea that an overpowered alien isn't wholeheartedly accepted by humanity as their ultimate champion make me amused. Snyder got the right and engaging idea on the matter. It's just that the execution had its problems, tone wise? Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

But when you see some consider the absence of red diapers an actual problem, there's no point of arguing anymore.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@name_already_chosen: Read all the big event comics of the last 15 years and tell me DC is hopeful and optimistic. Identity Crisis was about a rape victim being murdered. Forever Evil was about the evil Justice League taking over the world and causing mass chaos. Hell Infinite Crisis was about the Golden Age Superman wanting to destroy the current DCU because it was too dark.

Watchmen is DC's gold standard.

I didn't go into MoS and BvS expecting a representation of the comics. As a comic fan (especially a DC fan) I am used to different interpretations of DC characters through Elseworlds and such. I accepted that the world they were showing was a lot less trusting than the world many people are used to seeing Superman inhabit. I also accepted that MoS Superman has doubts and trust issues of his own.

The average film goer has never read a comic in their lives. DC comics only ships a couple million comics a month. The average person going to see MoS only has experience of Superman through Christopher Reeve and maybe the cartoons. Thus, my arguement.

john9618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: yes. And theres so many really good stories in dc to choose from. It looks like fans need to be more vocal like this instead of just dogging the shows and movies so we can get what we want :)

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to make death matter. I don't want to see superheroes keep coming back to life

john9618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: apologies about that snyder mix up.

john9618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By john9618

@name_already_chosen: i think the darker stuff such as watchmem might be geared toward mature audiences. But still I totally agree with your idea that they can make a succsesful series with a positive feel