Respect Cyclops (testimonials from fans on the web)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By phisigmatau

Alright, haters, listen up. Cyclops was Right. Cyclops was ALWAYS Right. Was he an %^$%^# about being right? Yup. But guess what: %^&$%^ your feelings, he's going to save you, he's going to save the human race, he's going to save the mutant race, and if he was doing it for appreciation or pity he would have thrown in the towel and $%^# off to space to hang out with his dad decades ago because $%^&$ ALLLLL these ingrateful little $%^$%^ on Earth. Think I'm wrong on that? What is the FIRST THING young time traveled because Bendis shouldn't be trusted with previous character history Cyclops does the minute he realizes his dad is alive, right AFTER traveling halfway across the damn galaxy to save his sweetheart the new young sociopathic Jean Grey? "BYE ERRYBODY! I'M GOING OFF TO SPACE TO HANG OUT WITH MY DAD!"

Guess what &*^&*$, the young Cyclops and the old Cyclops, two totally different people. OG Cyclops, the original, the one inked down decades ago, that guy was an ORPHAN. Every single other member of his team had a family who sent them away to live with manipulative Patrick Stewart looking *&%^&U% Professor X. Cyclops? Nah, man, Cyclops got shoved out a crashing plane, got separated from his only brother because the system is a *&^%, and when his powers activated dude burned down his orphanage. When Professor X picked him up, Cyclops straight up didn't HAVE anything, so this child abducting wheelchair weirdo says, "No worries little Dahmer-in-training, I'm going to make you a NEW family!" Wanna know why Cyclops was in charge? You want to know why he was always the leader? Because little orphan &^%#'s background WAS the X-Men. His backstory WAS the X-Men. Xavier pumps him full of his dream, Xavier gives the kid who has no family a family, and then keeps throwing that family into danger, and guess who's going to fight like hell to pull his family out of danger every-$^$&$&-time? Cyclops.

So yeah, he had his pissing contest with Wolverine. The *%# you think was going to happen when some rabid hairy midget Canadian lumberjack reject comes in and starts drunkenly peeing on the furniture and trying to do his Grizzly Adams routine on Cyclops' boo? Yeah he butted heads with the rest of the team, but when you've got wheelchair Patrick Stewart whose idea of therapy consists of sending a bunch of teenagers against a PTSD-addled Magneto or some sentinels, there's going to be some unresolved personality conflicts; its not like Xavier, the man who basically raised Cyclops, did him any favors like teaching him social skills. The wheeled baldy taught him to be a second in command and a drill sergeant, not everybody's BFF. The actual taking leadership happened after Xavier decided to tapdance his way out of everyone's life and leaving them with grenade after grenade (Oh, btw, the danger room's a sentient being I enslaved, sorry 'bout that! Oh, and I almost got your brother killed and erased your memory of it, whoopsie! Oh, and when you're at your weakest being consumed by the Phoenix Force, instead of reaching out to you like only I could, I threatened to turn you into a vegetable, teehee!)

So now he's dead. Dead as a doornail. Dead after he was called a monster for teaching kids to deal with the same threats he's been fighting since he was younger than they were. Dead after he's called a rogue crackpot dictator for putting together a team who's stated goal was to save humanity from extinction-level events (with horrendous branding. Seriously. Salvation Squad would have been much more preferable to Extinction Team, and would have given the hyper-religious purifier types an aneurism for &#&* and giggles). He gets called a flying flaming demon for disarming the continent of Africa and giving free electricity to all of eastern Europe which I guess to Captain America sounded just a BIIIT too much like a communist utopia, so of course he fought a guerilla warfare tooth and nail against the gods a hungover Iron Man accidentally created. He gets called a terrorist for freeing a black kid who was being heavily interrogated for curing an entire cancer ward with his newfound powers (look it up, I'm not actually kidding). Dead after one of his time traveling students gave him a thoroughly well-deserved kick in the @$$ telling him to straighten up, making him do the single greatest act as the leader of the mutant race and assembling thousands of mutants on the steps of the lincoln memorial to... assemble, peacefully.

So what do Cyclops fans get out of this? Do we get a 'Death of Wolverine' style series? Nope. Do we get a big countown set of issues? Nope. We get another couple months of buildup of the entire Marvel universe calling Cyclops Hitler (quite literally in many cases), we get a miniseries where Cyclops is killed off screen in a move so telegraphed people were calling it by issue 2, and we get no memorial. We get no heartfelt moments of remembrance. We get no remembrance series. We get whiny young Cyclops who gets bullied by the other teen heroes for being baby Hitler after having our favorite character nosedived right into the ground for years. So yeah we're going to look back on Whedon's run as a golden age, of a Cyclops so committed to saving his team and humanity he was willing to die to make his plan work. Yeah we're going to see the best Cyclops moments of recent history as the scenes from series Cyclops wasn't even the main character in (Wolverine and the X-Men, where Cyclops and Wolverine tear the crap out of a sentinel-filled SHIELD base and crack open warm beers in a storage closet.)

We didn't even get a Cyclops issue for Generations and Cyclops isn't even fucking given a sidelong glance in Legacy, but you know what, Cyclops fans, we're a resilient, stubborn bunch . If we wanted to be thanked for being avid supporters of one of the pillars of the Marvel Universe, we'd have moved on by now. Which, given teen cyclops' solo series was down to 16k issues in sales by issue 9 and X-Men Blue has dropped 10k in sales from 50k in June to 40k in August, and his other team series Champions has nosedived to 16k sales in August, well, looks like we have. Whoops.

-bigkr88 (reddit)
https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/comments/73x4j8/dear_joss_whedon_thank_you_for_making_cyclops_a/
Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Salute!!!

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By phisigmatau

First as Xavier's first student.. he exemplifies exactly Xaviers dream. The self sacrificing person in the service for the em-betterment of others lives.

Beyond that he's also the classic hero. He's what makes guys like Supes, Batman, Cap, Spidey etc so incredible: their incorruptible integrity. Not an anti hero nor a grey area guy, but a figure with polarizing morals.

Furthermore, Cyke's been thrown into Superhero work his whole life, and thrives on it. Since a teen he's seen more and more heartache and battles but strives on. He's the guy staying after practice for a few more drill reps. He's the guy who wakes up first thing in the morning asking how can I be better? Then goes to sleep wondering What could have done today to be better.

He's the dad out on the lawn with his bat when the gangbangers crawl into the neighborhood. He's the the doctor who stayed behind when the town got infected with a viral disease. He's the guy you want in your corner in a brawl fight.

unknown

Appreciate Cyclops

Cyclops is the type of football player that even if hes the star qb of the team he still goes out during halftime to thank the band for their support.

Hes the first guy on the field for practice

The last guy to leave.

He hosts team dinners and is always in the study room examining film on the next opponent and team tendencies

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.'

-Warren Ellis
god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

These can be shown in the discussion thread. I don’t think there needs to be a thread about angry random rants. Some of the rants break the language rules here anyway.