Why I think Bakugo is a better character than Vegeta

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for hoboswagginssidekick
HoboSwagginsSidekick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Huge character breakdown incoming so ignore if you want to, although I would appreciate the read. Also, huge warning, there are OPINIONS ABOUT DRAGON BALL in this so procede with caution lol.

No, they aren't the same character, infact, they are very different in how they are written. I'll start with Vegeta, then Bakugo, then explain why they are soooooo different.

Vegeta is the prince of all Saiyan's, his pride is driven by the heritage of his people and the tragedy of his races extinction. His aggresiveness and drive to get better is driven by the two afformentioned reasons but also the guilt he has about not being able to stop it. He is built up as a super strong character for his world, and continues to grow alongside Goku. Vegeta's story is all about having pride in your heritage and realising that you aren't better than everyone, a story of how to balance pride and tolerance.

Bakugo is the golden child, the prodegy and what people see as the future number 1 hero. His pride is because of built up compliments and praise he had aquired throughout his life. His aggressive attitude is a result of him seeing everyone around him as inferior, and someone who needs protecting due to being too weak themselves. He also grows in power alongside Deku. Bakugos story is about picking up the shattered pieces of his unending belief that Deku was weak, and learning to live with it and acknowledge his own weaknesses and short comings. His is a story of how to develop a sense of humility.

Where these two differ is how they are fundimentally written. Vegeta is built up to be so powerful to show how powerful Goku is, he is written to be perpetually weaker than Goku to emphasise how powerful Goku is. Bakugo is built up to be so powerful to show how WEAK Deku is by comparison. He is something for Deku to strive to be, a driving force for our protagonist and a very powerful motivator (even if Bakugo doesn't want to be.) Vegeta has been and always will be weaker than Goku because that's how his character is written, Bakugo will be better than Deku for a long time as he has always been to show how much Deku needs to grow. Most people see these two and think "well they yell and are angry and have spiky hair so they MUST be the same" but I hope I have illustrated why they aren't. I believe that Bakugo is a better character than Vegeta, by far for one simple reason, we don't know how the rivalry between him and Deku will go. In the actual opening of the show it states that Deku will be the greatest Hero, not the number 1 hero, so Bakugo might actually end stronger than Deku as he always has. On the flip side, Vegeta will never be stronger than Goku for an extended period of time.

I'm not debating who is stronger, that isn't a debate. Vegeta is infinitely stronger than Bakugo and probably will be forever (unless adult Bakugo gets OFA or something and even then Vegeta will be alot stronger) but that is something I like about the my hero academia characters and something I don't like about the dragon ball characters. In MHA you can't just blow up the planet your on when your in a bind, your not destroying galaxies with every strike like you so in dragon ball (but I'm not saying Dragon Ball is a bad show, I'm just not into it. Like JoJo, I'm not into the show but I can tell it is a good show.) But I digress, the point is, please don't put in the comments something like "well Vegeta would still win in a fight" because I know that, everyone knows that, and if they don't then they need a new brain cuz that one is clearly failing them.

Who do you guys think is the better character, who do you think is cooler, do you like dragon ball or my hero academia more, do you think that Bakugo should be shipped with Kirishima or Mina (idk, I couldn't come up with another question lol but I'm choosing Mina, idk why.) A long read I know, but thank you for reading.

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Fall1n1

I used to really like Vegeta, until Beerus showed up and he turned into a sycophantic coward. I was so disappointed. It seems like he abandons his pride as soon as a god-or-angel-tier character shows up. Autonomous Ultra Instinct Goku is one of the coolest forms Ive ever seen, if not the dopest

*A long read but a mad interesting one.

Risk0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hoboswagginssidekick: I think it comes down to portrayal, if Vegeta wasnt portrayed as always being weaker than Goku, he'd probably be seen in a better light. Awesome breakdown.

HoboSwagginsSidekick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fall1n1: thank you for taking the time to read man

HoboSwagginsSidekick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risk0608: thank you for the support, first time doing something like this on comicvines, usually I just live in the battle forums lol

Risk0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Say what you will but Bakugo at the very least feels like a good rival instead of someone always slacking behind

Crimson_COMET

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vegeta is an odd character since he is used as a rival character but he never keeps up or can keep any lead.

Vegeta is better as an antihero rather than as a rival, while someone like Bakugo covers that rival spot much better, where he and Deku actually connect together in many ways.

Vegeta is simple, but his antihero ways do alot for the story, and makes arguably the biggest impactor towards the story of every saga he is in. He doesn't beat the big bad, but he does so much through Z.

Due to Vegeta's development being made to finalize in Z it cases him in DBS to be that finalized product which doesn't hold up to his massive character changing arc he had in Z, with his Antihero aspects no longer being around cause Z concluded Vegeta.

Bakugo and Vegeta are more different than people give credit for, with both having different rolls int their show.

Bakugo as an amazing Rival, someone with talent and determination who's rival looks up too for his power and ability. Deku and Bakugo are opposites with the same goal and their own roads to reach it. Sure Goku and Vegeta somewhat have that concept, but they don't focus much on competing, which is more so just a side element. Goku at this point just wants to get stronger, and Vegeta see's this training as a sense of self-duty. But Vegeta is an antihero first, and a rival second. Making this comparison an odd one, where of course Bakugo will be the better rival since he embodies the roll.

JohnBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vegeta is an odd character since he is used as a rival character but he never keeps up or can keep any lead.

Vegeta is better as an antihero rather than as a rival, while someone like Bakugo covers that rival spot much better, where he and Deku actually connect together in many ways.

Vegeta is simple, but his antihero ways do alot for the story, and makes arguably the biggest impactor towards the story of every saga he is in. He doesn't beat the big bad, but he does so much through Z.

Due to Vegeta's development being made to finalize in Z it cases him in DBS to be that finalized product which doesn't hold up to his massive character changing arc he had in Z, with his Antihero aspects no longer being around cause Z concluded Vegeta.

Bakugo and Vegeta are more different than people give credit for, with both having different rolls int their show.

Bakugo as an amazing Rival, someone with talent and determination who's rival looks up too for his power and ability. Deku and Bakugo are opposites with the same goal and their own roads to reach it. Sure Goku and Vegeta somewhat have that concept, but they don't focus much on competing, which is more so just a side element. Goku at this point just wants to get stronger, and Vegeta see's this training as a sense of self-duty. But Vegeta is an antihero first, and a rival second. Making this comparison an odd one, where of course Bakugo will be the better rival since he embodies the roll.

DoctorDaMn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DoctorDaMn

Bakugo is a crappy, edgy, shitty character who told his best friend (whom adored him for years and did nothing but support him) to go and jump off a roof because he was quirkless... while still holding on to delusions that he's going to be a hero with that attitude.

Vegeta went from cold blooded murderer who exterminated races on a whim to a somewhat likeable father figure; even more so than the protagonist of his series. Even had to put all his hopes and dreams on to a lowly commoner when the tyrant who tortured, enslaved him, and ended his entire race finally killed him.

Also, after acknowledging that goku is better than him, he still trains just as hard in hopes of at least keeping up. No one else in dragon ball does that, not even piccolo goku's previous rival.

There's no comparison, vegeta is the better character/ rival by miles... take away bakugo and shoto could replace him easily. Meanwhile, take away vegeta and dragon ball doesn't work well anymore for what it is.

Edit: hell the only reason bakugo is even a rival to deku in the 1st place is because they gimped deku so hard. He's only had his quirk for less than 3 years meanwhile bakugo has has his for over 10

Knutcracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bakugo is a crappy, edgy, shitty character who told his best friend (whom adored him for years and did nothing but support him) to go and jump off a roof because he was quirkless... while still holding on to delusions that he's going to be a hero with that attitude.

This

Monstar572

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@doctordamn said:

This

Decaffeinated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too like Bakugo more but this is subject there is no "x is better than x" only "I like x more"

gelato_exotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disrespectful af to compare BAKUGO to the Prince of All Saiyans, delete this thread.

Decaffeinated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright you guys are simping for Vegeta too hard calm down. Dude is like 4 foot tall.

hulksmashtoaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disrespectful af to compare BAKUGO to the Prince of All Saiyans, delete this thread.

DoctorDaMn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DoctorDaMn

@decaffeinated: you're triggered, did the 4 feet tall guy spit or piss in your drink or something???

Avatar image for theoneabovelife
TheOneAboveLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this was originally gonna be bait. Ended up agreeing with everything the OP said.

AldoronTHEGOAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AldoronTHEGOAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vegeta like 5 feet 5 btw

Morningstar999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vegeta went from cold blooded murderer who exterminated races on a whim to a somewhat likeable father figure; even more so than the protagonist of his series. Even had to put all his hopes and dreams on to a lowly commoner when the tyrant who tortured, enslaved him, and ended his entire race finally killed him.

Also, after acknowledging that goku is better than him, he still trains just as hard in hopes of at least keeping up. No one else in dragon ball does that, not even piccolo goku's previous rival.

There's no comparison, vegeta is the better character/ rival by miles... take away bakugo and shoto could replace him easily. Meanwhile, take away vegeta and dragon ball doesn't work well anymore for what it is.

Edit: hell the only reason bakugo is even a rival to deku in the 1st place is because they gimped deku so hard. He's only had his quirk for less than 3 years meanwhile bakugo has has his for over 10

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for calljhonthanapp
calljhonthanapp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By calljhonthanapp
Avatar image for calljhonthanapp
calljhonthanapp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A bully vs a guy who went from take prude in burning a whole worlds and laugh at them to being shamed of what he did and eats his prude for his family