No doubt!

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By NiteFly

If a mod can find time to look into it my last seven subs haven't hit the "new comics" page yet.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#53  Edited By gmanfromheck

Okay so before I make any announcements, there's something I wanted to add that could slightly change things a little. Oh, but look at the time, I gotta get going to the airport. Thanks to EVERYONE that contributed. You helped me out big time (and allowed me to do some FABLES submissions in my spare time). So I guess I'll go into this tomorrow.

Oh and now that you see how easy it is to earn POINTS with the new comics, don't be afraid to continue. Tomorrow is Wednesday, after all.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#54  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

What a tease.

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By NiteFly

Slightly change things a little? Not cool.

BTW, yea I'm planning on doing more in the future.

Evil-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By Evil-G

MWAHAHA...

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Le Francais says:

"Damn, their should be a contest like that every week, we'll be so up to date !!"

Yeah, I vote for a contest every week G-Man. My gods you have so many comics at your house. Give them to the needy!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By gmanfromheck

Okay so I've made my decision. I assume it's not too hard to figure out who won. I looked at the points mainly but also looked at the number of issues added and also the write-ups (which also added to the points). You guys did an excellent job. Blue Shield had a strong start but it became neck and neck with NiteFly and Buckshot.

SO the winner is....NiteFly.

I decided to be generous and make a second prize which goes to Buckshot. I'll send ya some comics, just obviously not as much.

Oh heck, why not do a third place too?

So NiteFly, Buckshot, and Blue Shield, pm me your mailing addresses and I'll send out some comics to ya's in the next few days. Hopefully you'll enjoy the random comics I'll be sending. Thanks again. Keep up the good work. Maybe we'll do this again soon.
Post Edited:2007-06-27 13:13:55

Superkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By Superkitty

I'm just curious, about how many comics come out in a week, and how many issue submissions (new and old) are put in here in a week?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

About 20 (commonly read) comics come out and get on the site. That's mainly just the Big Two (and sometimes Image and Wildstorm). You can check the Fans/Stats page for how many are put up in a week.

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By NiteFly

G-Man says:

"Okay so I've made my decision. I assume it's not too hard to figure out who won. I looked at the points mainly but also looked at the number of issues added and also the write-ups (which also added to the points). You guys did an excellent job. Blue Shield had a strong start but it became neck and neck with NiteFly and Buckshot.SO the winner is....NiteFly.I decided to be generous and make a second prize which goes to Buckshot. I'll send ya some comics, just obviously not as much.Oh heck, why not do a third place too?So NiteFly, Buckshot, and Blue Shield, pm me your mailing addresses and I'll send out some comics to ya's in the next few days. Hopefully you'll enjoy the random comics I'll be sending. Thanks again. Keep up the good work. Maybe we'll do this again soon.
Post Edited:2007-06-27 13:13:55"

Yay! Everyone rocks! Anyway, I'd like to say good job to everyone else that participated. Buckshot, that was some fierce competition man. Good job.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By gmanfromheck

Superkitty says:

"I'm just curious, about how many comics come out in a week, and how many issue submissions (new and old) are put in here in a week?"

I think I counted like 87 new comics that came out last week. That's not including magazines. There's a lot of other comics that come out. You can see for last week's submissions that they had to start reaching towards the end to get more up. I usually buy about twenty or so a week myself.

cwpolzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By cwpolzel  Moderator

I think was a great idea. My approach was to add comics that were less likely to be done by others(non-Marvel and DC), while also adding more volumes to the 'Vine. NiteFly and Buckshot were machines, nice job guys!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By gmanfromheck

Thoughts on doing a MONTH LONG version? I know I'd have to up the stakes a little. Maybe I wouldn't have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. It'd be some more comics. I have a sealed copy of Tony Hawk's American Wasteland for PS2. Maybe I could dig out some sealed action figures too.

Any takers? This would be starting next week for the month of July.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Insanity. I'd give it a shot though. :P

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By NiteFly

I might try, but I don't think I can keep up the steam for an entire month. What figures for what place?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By gmanfromheck

That's the big question. Throwing ideas around with LAMP. The thing is, with a month, you have more time to spread it out. You don't have to be rushed to get it done over a couple of days.

cwpolzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By cwpolzel  Moderator

I'd do it, sounds great.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By gmanfromheck

Okay any thoughts, complaints, etc about the last contest? I won't be judging solely on the number of comics entered. I did also look at quality (rather than just quantity). But I don't want one ten page entry either. I don't want people to get discouraged if they get a late start (hence making it a month long). I'll take your ideas and thoughts and either implement them or completely ignore them. It'd be nice to get more involved. I did like how there were a bunch of comics that I normally don't read entered. This place isn't just about the Big Two.

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By NiteFly

Perhaps so that some of us don't blitzkrieg all the good books that are new each week we can put a one comic a day limit per person? This doesn't mean, of course, that you couldn't come back and re-edit a book once you have added it, however anyone participating in the contest can only edit the books they add. Starting on the first Wednesday in July have it go through the last Tuesday in July. This will limit the entries to a possible 28 per person (still a lot of entries especially if multiple people are playing along), making it easier for enough good comics to remain (earlier) each week so that anyone else who wanted to participate could without feeling like they had the table scraps by the time they get their books. Basically each day you call dibs on a book that doesn't have dibs called. For the purpose of this contest, then, you own this book and can do whatever you please with it from that day forward.

Since there will only be one book allowed per day we will have the added bonus that the number of comics entered will be a part, but not a huge part of the judging as the substance and completion of the entries will be what counts. It will give us time to add the description, detailed but not ten page long spoilers sections, and if any of the particular book's creators are not in the database add them too (otherwise lacking such information should count against you).

I think that this would make a month long comic contest run very smoothly, and give just about any member of the site the ability to play as large a part as they want. Just my $.02.

P.S. I'm not wearing my glasses right now so excuse any spelling/grammar problems--I can't see what I'm writing.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By gmanfromheck

Interesting...

I do want to do something so other people don't get discouraged. On the other hand, I also want new comics up on the page. What if only three people "entered"? That'd mean only 3 new comics on Wednesday. Maybe 2 a day? Two longs and one short?

I was also thinking of maybe having a sort of lottery. Like a long, full description would be worth maybe three entries and a short one worth one. Then I could do a random drawing.

Maybe doing two a day would be the way to go. That way more could get involved. It'd give time to do the full description. Less stress for the rush. I suppose you could even pre-write them like in a word document or something and then submit the next day. Although, then you run the risk of someone else adding it before you could.

Hmmm...

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By NiteFly

G-Man says:

"Interesting...I do want to do something so other people don't get discouraged. On the other hand, I also want new comics up on the page. What if only three people "entered"? That'd mean only 3 new comics on Wednesday. Maybe 2 a day? Two longs and one short?I was also thinking of maybe having a sort of lottery. Like a long, full description would be worth maybe three entries and a short one worth one. Then I could do a random drawing.Maybe doing two a day would be the way to go. That way more could get involved. It'd give time to do the full description. Less stress for the rush. I suppose you could even pre-write them like in a word document or something and then submit the next day. Although, then you run the risk of someone else adding it before you could.Hmmm..."

There's always a risk. I like the raffle style idea a lot, however if your going to do it that way you may want to have a few places for prizes. Proposed rules:

RULES:

1. Contest starts on the first Thursday of July (comics don't come out on the fourth of July holiday).
  2. Only two entries allowed per person per day (Entries don't roll over. You miss your two on one day, you've lost them). Additional entries don't count towards the contest, so if you want to go above and beyond: go ahead, but past your FIRST TWO it won't give you more chance of winning.
  3. To call dibs on a comic simply leave a message on the appropriate forum calling dibs on either (or both) of your two books for that day. As long as you call 'em first on the forum, they are yours. If you call dibs on a book you must start working on it (do at least the short entry for it that day) or else it is fare game for someone else. Spoilers, however, can always be done later. This does not extend to things that don't exist in the system. If a character or creator is not in the system to add to the book then you can add them in after the fact, but you should work on get them submitted so that your entries are complete. More information about what constitutes a short entry comes later in this list.
  4. You get one raffle entry for a short entry (short entries consist of all creators listed, actual cover shot of the book, company's overview of the book, and character appearances). You may be awarded an extra raffle entry for doing a more detailed (spoilers) section of the bio (as a general rule of thumb this should be longer than the average overview).
  5. The contest will end at the end of the day on July 31st, leaving four weeks (27 days) for entries, so any member of the vine can upload a maximum of 54 books during the month of July that count towards the contest.
  6. Editing someone else's entries for completion is smiled upon, but will not earn you any additional points for this contest.
  7. Once the following Wednesday comes around the comics from the previous week will be off limits for the purposes of this contest (but are still worth adding in your spare time).
  8. Prizes will be drawn on August first. Since entries are raffle style just because you believe that you added the most doesn't necessarily mean you will win. All it may take to win first place is one entry.

Thoughts?
Post Edited:2007-06-28 13:30:57

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By gmanfromheck

That looks pretty good. I'll make it officially next week.

I mailed out the comics today. Not sure how long it will take. I shipped over ten pounds of comics so I didn't go with overnight delivery. Hopefully all of you will enjoy them. (Too bad this week's New Comic page isn't as full as last week's).

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By NiteFly

So is this happening?