NAME MY SUPER-TEAM: The First-Ever RaptorFrat-Party Contest!

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By RaptorFratBoy

YO!!! As you know, my name is RaptorFratBoy and I love comic books. But did you know I created them, as well? Well now you do! 

Anyhoo, the point of this is that while I came-up with a brand-new, awesome space-themed Super-Team for my own special little Universe, I'm stuck to come-up with a great name for them. To help things out, here's a brief explanation of what exactly is going on...

Veni Vidi Vicci is basically a cross between Dr. Doom, Apocalypse, and Baron Mordo, and he's decided to take-over the World. Without any Superheroes, well, he does this rather easily, thanks to his genetically and magically-created Army code-named The Unlimited. Also, there are mutants in my Universe, but they're so new none of them have decided to be Superheroes yet, they pretty much have to immediately decide to either be good or evil, or die on the spot. Anyway, before the War for Earth can completely spill into America, a scientist grabs his lab-assistant, best friend, and a mechanic friend with an adopted daughter, and get the hell off-planet in an experimental space shuttle the scientist invented.  Not having an exact destination, the team Cryogenically-freeze themselves, with the shuttle programed to seek-out a planet containing intelligent life and awaken the team when it does so. However, the shuttle is struck by an unknown source, and crash-lands on Mars.

I know, I know...other than the part about Mars, this probably sounds like "Age of Apocalypse" or "Empire" mixed with the origin of The Fantastic Four, and you'd be pretty-much correct because AoA is what inspire my Universe in the first place. But, continue on for the rest of the plot...

PLOT: A team of astronauts jettisoned themselves into space to avoid Veni Vidi Vicci's conquering of Earth, crash-landed on Mars, badly wounding them all. Emerging from a hidden cavern underneath the ground, several Martian scientists came to their rescue, rebuilding them with whatever crude technology they could find from both their own reserves, and what could be salvaged from the astronauts' shuttle. The Martians hide the truth of what has happened on their planet, as the squad of scientists are the sole surviving members of their race, hidden from the savage beasts that roam above, as well as a terrifying secret. The astronauts agree to help the Martians re-establish control of the surface in thanks for their rescue, however they soon find-out that's not such an easy task: The rest of Mars' population has been turned into flesh-eating zombies by the scientists, an accident that occured when a flu vaccine mutated...or at least, that's the story they're going with.

Roptix - Clara Hendrickson: Mars crash-landing blinded her; scientists replaced her eyes with crude robotic tech that enable to her to see, but are a constant source of pain unless she fires deadly, steel-melting beams of heat from her corneas, a side-effect from the cosmic radiation the shuttle was hit with. Naturally, she does a lot of target-practicing. Clara is battle-hardened, and places the safety of her adopted daughter Katie Sherman above all-else; she also serves as the team's mechanic.

Frankentelligent - Arthur Von Drakes: The crash completely destroyed Arthur's arms and legs; the Martians replace his arms with those from two Martian criminals who had donated their bodies to science (so the scientists claim), and his legs with mechanical ones harvested from a primative Sentry Droid. Being the group's organizer from the beginning, Von Drakes becomes the team's field leader almost by default, his genius-level intellect also coming in handy. Early-on, he's bitten by one of the Martian zombies on one of his arms, but as the arm isn't directly connected to the rest of his body, only the one limb becomes infected. Every so often, though, usually during bouts of extreme anger or frustration, the zombie-virus will override the cyber-programming in Von Drakes' body, forcing a need to consume the flesh of the living before the virus completely takes control. The infected arm has the tendency to act on it's own at times of rest, the virus being so powerful it can sense living things outside the host, making the arm a bit grabby.

Neon Comet - Katie Sherman: As an infant she was orphaned when Unlimited Soldiers killed her parents, and she was rescued and adopted by Clara Hendrickson who witnessed it. When the shuttle crashed, Katie's Cryo-Chamber was the only one that didn't open and so her body was physically fine. However the Chamber absorbed a bombardment of cosmic radiation from Mars' atmosphere, which combined with the Cryogenic chemicals sealed Katie's body, transforming her into a living statue. The scientists pur her into a special incubator that used multiple combinations of radiation-treatments and heat that eventually allowed Katie to break her frozen shell. When fully recovered she had become a being of pure energy, now able to absorb, generate, and control all types of radiation, as well as fly at amazing speeds. At the age of twelve, Katie has come to grips with her new life remarkably well, and was the one responsible for assigning "Superhero Names" to the group, who rarely personally use them.

King Crab - "King" Louis Claymore: The shuttle crash left Claymore badly needing a blood-transfusion, with nobody else onboard sharing the same blood-type. The Martians did what they could, using the blood from a native animal whose DNA closely resembled that of humans, and mixing it with nanobots programmed to fill-in the genetic code. The side-effect was that Louis mutated into a hybrid, his entire genetic structure now shared with the Martian beast; his skin was now plated with reddish armored scales, spines grew from his arms, neck and back, his eyes glowed yellow, and his teeth were now fangs. Due to his previous nickname of "King" and his new appearance, Katie Sherman code-named him King Crab; to complete the package, Claymore had the Martian scientists fashion him two massive, mechanical claws constructed from spare shuttle-parts.

Chain-Smoker - Desmond Wright: Caught in the worst of the fires within the shuttle, Demond's entire body was severely burned, with almost total nerve-damage. Refusing to die, he was able to hold-on long enough for the Martians to rig a makeshift robotic body to download his mind into, a skill using ancient Martian magiks and virtual reality. Being a young man already rather annoyed with life, this dramatic new twist did little to change Demond's gruff disposition on things. His robot body was soon enhanced with super-strong hydraulics and bodyarmor, as well as an on-board weapons system comprised of various items of death. Katie names him Chain-Smoker, thanks to his somehow still finding time to smoke cigarettes despite no-longer possibly needing to, and his chainmail-like chestplate.

6-6-Sixteen - Chapel Goodwynn: A teenage girl stowed-away aboard the astronauts' shuttle, barely managing to seal herself in a Cryo-Chamber in time as the team were already sleeping. Unfortunately, Chapel hadn't been injected with the pre-sleep formula; a chemical necessary to help prepare the body for Cryo-Sleep. The effects of the cosmic-radiation on her body after the crash was far-different than the team of astronauts, as her skin was totally melted away and replaced by a sheath of jet-black anti-matter. Anything Goodwynn attempted to make contact with instantly exploded, as she quickly found-out upon awakening and in a panic, detonated one of the Martian scientists who tried to help her up. Further going mad at the sight of aliens, the wreckage surrounding her, and the general carnage of the scene, Chapel instinctively phased between-dimensions, thanks to her anti-matter skin, and found herself in her own, private pocket in-between realities. However, due to her crazed state of mind, the girl thought she had died and gone to Hell, her powers meaing she was a wraith and the aliens were, to her, demons. Goodwynn remained hidden within the pocket, no longer needing to breathe, eat, or sleep, vowing not to return. But over time she began getting bored, testing the extent of her powers; Chapel was now able to project her anti-matter energy into deadly beams of darkness, as well as cut small holes back into her home dimension, enabling her to steal materials. This particular power is very limited, and she needs to rest for a few hours between each venture; being completely back in the pocket-dimension recharges her, this is why her new body phased her there when in a state of shock. Her mind more focused but still quite insane, Chapel decided it was time to face-up to the demons, thinking if she over-powered them and proved herself strong, perhaps it would indeed be better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven if this was her fate. By the time she re-phases completely back on Mars, the team of astronauts are neck-deep in Martian zombies, but the battle litterally screeches to a hault at Chapel's appearance. Pausing only for a moment, Goodwynn unleashes her full-fury at the zombies, the more obvious-looking demons, wiping them out almost instantly. Quickly noticing the new look of the astronauts wasn't much more Angelic, Chapel turned on them, but thankfully the team was prepared and avoided her attack. Wisely attacking all at once, the team was able to knock Goodwynn away long enough to escape, knowing full-well they weren't ready for the fight. After safely returning to base, Katie Sherman nicknamed their new adversary 6-6-Sixteen, fitting considering she's one Hellish Teenager. With a brand-new vow to erradicate the "demonic" astronauts, Chapel Goodwynn returned to her pocket-hideout she constructed of the stolen materials, laying-in-wait for the next moment to strike.

OK, so...Now what do you think? Pretty neat, or total garbage? At any rate, I still can't think of a cool name. Of course, the theme is Katie Sherman names everyone/thing, so the name would probably be something along the lines of the individuals'...Silver-Agey, I guess is the proper term. 

This is an actual, honest-to-Bob contest with a prize and everything, if the winner chooses to trust a completely (non-dangerous/violent) crazy person with their mailing address. I'm trying to get an upstart Web Comic Company up-and-running within the next couple years, and this will be one of the Flagship strips! HELP ME NAME MY SPACE-THEMED SUPER-TEAM!!! YOU WILL WIN...

The winning name will receive a QUALITY Marvel, DC, Image, or "Other" comic, you choose the Company, I pick the book. But I promise it'll be good and not a "Marvel Tales" reprint feature or anything like that. SO GET TO NAMING!!! The contest will end Wednesday, September 15th, as that's when I plan on drawing this doozy up and presenting it to a collaborator. THANKS AHEAD OF TIME!!!

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By geraldthesloth

Vandals!

robbiesol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By robbiesol

"Overhaul"  -- They all had upgrades/repairs
or 
"Repomen" -- They will most likely clean up Mars and then reclaim Earth and Repomen sounds like people that would have had mass augmentations

Sounds like a good story.
Drafta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Drafta

Wow Raptor!  This is cool!  I really like it!.

Now, uh, I suck at this, and I really wasn't intending to do a contest, but it can't hurt, right?

So, I was thinking The Limit.  As in a limit to The Unlimited, this is where they end.  Also a double entendre, in that they're THE best, none are better.  Not very Silver-Agey, but it was my first thought so I'm going with my gut.

So, The Limit.

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
@geraldthesloth: It's a good name, but if you can help me understand why this particular group would call themselves "The Vandals", that would be awesome. I'm not being a jerk, I'd just honestly like to know your reasoning...

@robbiesol: I'm letting you know right now, because you named them after my favorite pro wrestling villain of the early-90's, you've earned Eleventy-Billion bonus points. However, I just can't see a 12-year-old girl even knowing what a "Repoman" is, let alone finding a reason to name the group that. But for your choice alone, you get an incredibly-exciting Runner-Up Prize! PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK!!! I haven't decided what this is yet, but let me know your preferred comic company, and that will help. PM me your mailing addy if you so choose to receive this prize...

@Drafta: You sir are wrong about your ability to name things, because in fact that's absolutely brilliant, for various reasons. So I suppose out of three choices so far, you're at the top!
geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By geraldthesloth
@RaptorFratBoy: It just sounded cool :p  I'll think of another name soon, do you have a date when you want it?
RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
@geraldthesloth: The contest ends Wednesday, the 15th...
Avatar image for future_conquerors
Future Conquerors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Future Conquerors

Specification - Each one feels as if they have similarites but with their own abilities, when working as a team each one has a specification of making the squad a great unit. 

Right now that's the best I could come up with at this time...if I find something better I shall post it XD

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By geraldthesloth
@RaptorFratBoy said:
" @geraldthesloth: The contest ends Wednesday, the 15th... "
alright
Drafta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Drafta
@RaptorFratBoy: Awesome awesome!  ^^  Now to wait until Wednesday and hope no one comes up with anything better...
robbiesol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By robbiesol
@RaptorFratBoy said:
"@geraldthesloth: It's a good name, but if you can help me understand why this particular group would call themselves "The Vandals", that would be awesome. I'm not being a jerk, I'd just honestly like to know your reasoning...

@robbiesol: I'm letting you know right now, because you named them after my favorite pro wrestling villain of the early-90's, you've earned Eleventy-Billion bonus points. However, I just can't see a 12-year-old girl even knowing what a "Repoman" is, let alone finding a reason to name the group that. But for your choice alone, you get an incredibly-exciting Runner-Up Prize! PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK!!! I haven't decided what this is yet, but let me know your preferred comic company, and that will help. PM me your mailing addy if you so choose to receive this prize...

@Drafta: You sir are wrong about your ability to name things, because in fact that's absolutely brilliant, for various reasons. So I suppose out of three choices so far, you're at the top! "

Haha, thanks.  I think I remember Repoman, didn't he beat up Virgil (Million Dollar Man's Butler) once? 

I like both DC and Marvel so either will do.  DC is a little ahead recently cause I'm digging Blackest Night. 
RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
@Future Conquerors: Like gerald's, it's a good name, but I couldn't see a little girl coming-up with it. 

Remember, the idea is these people are astronauts stuck between a rock and a hard place; the only one that thinks they're Superheroes is Katie. The others have no use for code-names as they're on an alien planet, but sometimes humor the girl or use them ironically or as insults towards each other, except King Crab who decides he might as well be called that. 

@Drafta: Hahaha, indeed...

@robbiesol: Sounds good, I'll figure out just what it is I'll send you sometime over the weekend...And yes, Repoman got I believe his one and only win over Virgil...
Fleonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By Fleonix

Im putting my thinking cap on.............. 
 ..........processing..................
.............................................result

Astronmen      

My idea is that Katie see's herself as a great astronaut (ASTRON) and since its a team MEN to make it plural..
Hope it helps.

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
@Fleonix: Hehheh, I like it...points for originality, but Katie DID already name herself "Neon Comet"...
RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

Bump~!

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Legacy_

The Travelers - It's something a little girl could come up with instead of using big words away from her vocabulary and something simple minded.

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
@Closure: I actually like that quite a bit, too...Good logic behind it...
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

The Unconquerables!

(taken from the villains name they escaped from and the fact they all survived the crash)

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Legacy_
@RaptorFratBoy said:
" @Closure: I actually like that quite a bit, too...Good logic behind it... "

Do I win anything XD
RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

OK...'Tis Wednesday, and the contest is officially OVER.

Thanks to everyone who suggested a name for my Super-Team, as honestly there were a couple I really had to think about. However, someone nailed it almost immediately, coming-up with a name that followed all the necessary criteria: It had to be simple, something a 12-year-old girl would come-up with, and make sense as far as the characters and their situation was concerned. With that said, of course, the winner is...

DRAFTA~!!! 

Congrats, sir. The official name for my team is THE LIMIT, which if you so desire, will be credited to you in the comic when it debuts hopefully sometime within the next year. Also, as promised, you get a gloriously-free comic book from the company of your choice...So let me know, and I'll get that sucker in the mail! THANKS!!!

Drafta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Drafta

YAY!

I am so great.  There were some other great names, though.

Thank you thank you!

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
@Drafta: Congrats, dude. And again, thanks to everyone who played...Expect another contest...

...eventually!