• 72 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Pretty much everything that held Constantine's pilot back from really leaving an impression (for me, at least) is fixed in its second episode, "The Darkness Beneath." Gone is the forced exposition and overwhelming need to deliver buildup. Instead, this second episode deals primarily with a single investigation and introduces the new character, Zed Martin (Angélica Celaya).

Instead of being like Liv Aberdine ("What's this? What's that? Tell me about this magical world, Constantine."), Zed can actually help Constantine's mission instead of simply being there to make sure everything is spelled out for viewers. The attraction between the two is certainly obvious, but thankfully, they avoid going the cliche route and instead blatantly joke about it. We're told just enough about this character to make us interested in seeing what else the show will reveal about her, but what's really great is how she's there to enhance John Constantine's story. Not only can she give us a wee bit of insight into him, but she's a useful partner, too. They gave us just enough of this character and made sure her role didn't overshadow Constantine's scenes. It is only the second episode with him, after all.

Speaking of John, Matt Ryan once again gives us a charismatic performance. He may be sarcastic and he may be blunt, but he's never abrasive or unlikable. Everything from dishing out dark magic when it's game time to lighthearted banter is delivered well. He's a great, engaging lead and, just like I said in the review for the first episode, is easily the most appealing part of the show. Simply put, the dude's lovable.

The special effects and thrills were awesome in this episode. They'll never make you jump or legitimately frighten you, but there's some really cool shots (loved the one of the spirit emerging from the ground and the hand popping out of the liquid) and the CGI remained impressive. Obviously, it's not on par with a blockbuster movie, but it's still good and never took away the illusion.

No Caption Provided

Focusing on one investigation means there's less fan service (from what I spotted, that is), but this allowed them to focus solely on what made the situation unique while also shining more of the spotlight on John and his new partner, Zed. There's scenes here and there which attempt to give the locals a little more depth, but they never overstay their welcome and it's mostly there in an attempt to enhance the mystery. That said, the "big reveal" was very predictable for a good amount of time before it was dropped. Even though it was pretty obvious, the handling of the conclusion was still mostly satisfying.

Minor gripe: It seems silly how they keep finding ways to avoid showing him smoking but still make it abundantly clear that he does smoke. In this one, there's a shot behind him and we can all tell he's smoking, but right when the camera approaches for a side shot, he's conveniently done with the cigarette. We can see characters burned to death, drowned, and strangled, but a guy smoking is too much? Look, I don't smoke, but it feels odd to censor that in a show like this.

"The Darkness Beneath" is a good fit for Halloween. The episode may never really scare you, but they make good use of the thrills and there's some pretty exciting shots. It won't make you scream out loud or give you nightmares, but it sets the right atmosphere and they make the situation spooky enough at times with some solid CGI. The "investigation-of-the-week" probably won't surprise many, but it's still a good time and they didn't neglect focusing on character. John Constantine continues to be an excellent lead and Zed's been given a proper introduction. I wasn't the biggest fan of the the pilot, but this second episode shows Constantine has a lot of promise. As long as they keep focusing on Constantine's personality and all of the mystical craziness this world has to offer, Constantine is looking like it'll be a lot of fun.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Loved this episode, I said it before and I will say it again, Matt Ryan is perfect in this role. This is the only comic book show on TV that's actually got my interest and is keeping it. Unlike the other shows I genuinely feel invested and entertained.

I'm actually really happy they make an effort to show he's a smoker without him actually smoking.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@captainmarvel4ever said:

Loved this episode, I said it before and I will say it again, Matt Ryan is perfect in this role.

I'm actually really happy they make an effort to show he's a smoker without him actually smoking.

It just feels really forced to me. It doesn't impact the score, but it seems silly they can show gruesome deaths, but showing a cigarette in his mouth is apparently crossing the line.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Honestly I feel like they pull it off very very well, and so far for me it hasn't felt forced. If I had to choose between hints of him smoking or, no smoking at all, I'd much rather have this.

That doesn't seem silly to me, but what does is that you can still smoke a cigar on TV, but not a cigaret

WeAreMany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

This show might be better than gotham

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By longbowhunter

I'm trying to give all the new shows a fair shake. Each get 3-4 episodes to win me over. I thought this was significantly better than the pilot. Zed is the kind of female character I wanna see; strong, smart, capable, pretty much the opposite of Liv. They couldn't seem to avoid the trope of love interest though, shame. I found the washed up priest pretty likable too.

Minor gripes: Gotta agree with Gregg here, the smoking thing is...odd. I don't mind seeing him put out a cigarette. It's when he pulled the one out of the pack, put it in his mouth and decided "nah", and put it back in the pack. I was a smoker for years. Tasting the butt of an unlit cigarette does not cure the craving, you have to light it. Either have him smoke or don't. Stop trying to have it both ways. Also the way John entered the mine the first time. Distracting the guard by dumping the bucket on the backhoe and sneaking in just seemed out of character. He can cast spells and exorcise demons, but he can't swing a simple mindf**k on a security guard and waltz in?

Major gripe: This show feels like Supernatural. Not knocking the show, I loved the first few seasons of Supernatural. But this show has no balls. Being on a major network didn't stop shows like the X-Files or Millennium from being dark, creepy and innovative. So, what's the problem?

Good review Gregg. I'm glad the show is getting covered on the site.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#6  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@k4tzm4n said:

Loved this episode, I said it before and I will say it again, Matt Ryan is perfect in this role.

It just feels really forced to me. It doesn't impact the score, but it seems silly they can show gruesome deaths, but showing a cigarette in his mouth is apparently crossing the line.

You know the system. It's downright stupid. In the show Hannibal, they show people getting gruemly killed and Hannibal chopping up people and eating them. It is easily the most violent show on TV, but yet they can't show sex or someone smoking.

No Caption Provided

Just gotta live with the stupid rules and laws I guess.

WilliamYates8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WilliamYates8

@longbowhunter: In regards to the security guard, when I read Hellblazer, John wouldn't use magic for simple stuff like that. Yeah he could use some spell and get by easily, but I don't think he would unless he had to.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By SynCig

Loved the pilot and loved this episode. Matt Ryan is really what sells it for me. His on-screen charisma is intoxicating. After only two episodes, this show is looking to become my favorite comic book tv show going right now. I'm hoping the quality remains consistent and I have faith that it will.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@longbowhunter: In regards to the security guard, when I read Hellblazer, John wouldn't use magic for simple stuff like that. Yeah he could use some spell and get by easily, but I don't think he would unless he had to.

I'm not even necessarily suggesting magic. But John is a con man. I expect him be more sly than that. That stunt just reminded me of something you would have seen Michael Knight or MacGyver pull back in the day.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: Well this is a PG show, besides there wasn't any particularly violent or sexual material in this episode. At any rate we should just be happy we get a really good Constantine show.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: Meh, I'm sure some people won't enjoy this series, but quite frankly I think it's going to be the best comic book TV series on the air (for actual comic readers that is) at any rate you should still watch the episode, because NBC has a worse cancellation rate then Fox.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WilliamYates8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter: Didn't think of it from the con man aspect. You make a good point.

Some of the critics are going to hate it, but I think the comic fans will keep this show floating. There are a lot of critically panned shows that survive so those don't worry me too much.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Transformers1024

I think this has potential to be better than Arrow.

Reminds me of a Supernatural and Dr. Who crossover with Constantine as the main character.

KINCART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 35

This show might be better than gotham

This show is WAY better than Gotham.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@williamyates8: Yeah but this is NBC, so chances of survival are at there worst. That's why we (fans) have to get as many people as we can to watch, we need to buy the DVDs, and we need to Tweet good things about the show with the hash-tag #Constantine when the show is on (networks have begun using Twitter to monitor ratings).

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Halloween time watching Constantine :)

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

@k4tzm4n: Well you can't really blame DC. It's NBC's rules and they did the same thing in the original scene of the pilot. Constantine was putting cigarette buds on the ash tray in the bar. I guess that's the limits within NBC, they are allow to show cigarette buds being throw around and stuff, but seeing him smoke is a no-no, lol. I really don't get NBC when Hannibal is one of the most gruesome shows with eating humans and people dying and for God sakes they are sometimes even NAKED in the show, lol. -___-

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@madeinbangladesh: Meh, I'm sure some people won't enjoy this series, but quite frankly I think it's going to be the best comic book TV series on the air (for actual comic readers that is) at any rate you should still watch the episode, because NBC has a worse cancellation rate then Fox.

i just watched it. I'm siding with AV Club. It was boring... almost fell asleep. Also didn't like ZED. The actress couldn't act that great. I'm gonna give it 2 more episodes just because I like Matt Ryan as Constantine. After that, I'm sticking with the other DC comic shows.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iceslick said:

@k4tzm4n: Well you can't really blame DC. It's NBC's rules and they did the same thing in the original scene of the pilot. Constantine was putting cigarette buds on the ash tray in the bar. I guess that's the limits within NBC, they are allow to show cigarette buds being throw around and stuff, but seeing him smoke is a no-no, lol. I really don't get NBC when Hannibal is one of the most gruesome shows with eating humans and people dying and for God sakes they are sometimes even NAKED in the show, lol. -___-

it is not just nbc. Whole network tv is stupid. CHannels liek ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC piss me off.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was good but quite better than agents of shield initial episodes <shudder>

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved this episode, I said it before and I will say it again, Matt Ryan is perfect in this role. This is the only comic book show on TV that's actually got my interest and is keeping it. Unlike the other shows I genuinely feel invested and entertained.

Totally agree with this. I am really entertained by the show, invested in this version of John Constantine as much as I am his comic counterpart(the Hellblazer one, & from JLD, his solo book needs some work to make it..well...more Constantine.) I know they can't go full-on Hellblazer because the comic is actually pretty graphic, but it still feels like the Constantine I know- maybe a lil' Constantine with a touch of classic Kolchak the Nightstalker,(also liked the Supernatural & Dr. Who comparisons made by another poster as well) I guess..always liked shows like that. I think a lot of credit goes to Matt Ryan, he IS Constantine. (Well, maybe not literally, since Alan Moore seemingly met the real deal...well, you know what I mean lol) I think as the show progresses we're going to get more & more of the characters, of John & his world, & I feel that if anybody is bringing their A game to this show, it's Ryan. This episode may have been slow in some places, but it's only the second episode; I think it'll definitely get "legs" as people get a feel for the character & more characters/themes from the comics are able to be brought in. Glad to see the smoking nods too...that's one of John's defining traits, glad they're finding a way around the stupid smoking ban for us fans!! I actually hope the show has some reverse inspiration for the comic, to take Constantine back to his roots & what makes him unique, not just another DC character, not just another DC book, but one that stands out, as it always did during its Vertigo days, as it always should.

Next week should be awesome with Papa Freakin' Midnight!! Can't wait!!

Avatar image for mister_sensational
Mister_Sensational

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may be in the minority but I found this episode to be so transparent it was almost unwatchable. Was it not obvious to anyone that it was the miner's wife who summoned the demon? I know I realized it the minute she and Constantine had that exchange in the bathroom.

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

waaaaaay better than episode 1 c:

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Better than episode 1. Still, it's not that great though. If this wasn't Constantine. I wouldn't be interested in what happens at all.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Step right up, folks! Place your bets! Gimme a name and number on which side character you think is gonna die and how many episodes you think they'll last!

But remember: This is not a "I want this character to die" betting ring, no sir, it is a "Constantine is a slimy, backstabbing death-trap and so everyone around him dies" ring. We do not predict their deaths because we hate them, we predict their deaths because Constantine is a motherf***er.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_stegman  Moderator

Still not great, better than Gotham and AoS, worse than Arrow and Flash.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crap...

BeholdtheVison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Have to disagree on the better than AoS...

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman said:

Have to disagree on the better than AoS...

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bigcimmerian

Is Constantine set in separate univrse from Gotham? From Arrow and Flash? And does he smoke in show?

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

Ah this is a much better episode than the pilot. Mostly compotent though a bit obvious in formula (though that could be just watching NCIS and all that).

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Is Constantine set in separate univrse from Gotham? From Arrow and Flash? And does he smoke in show?

They are all separate from each other bar Flash and Arrow. Yes he does smoke but you only ever see him put a cigarette in his mouth or stumping one out not what happens in between.

JoshuaDBr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JoshuaDBr

@bigcimmerian: I don't know if he's in the same universe as those shows, but I sure hope they make it like that. They show you that he smokes, but they don't actually let you see him smoking. So, does he smoke in the show? Well...sort of.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people think way too much about these shows, just enjoy it while it all lasts. Stop hurting your head trying to put it all in line

LuffyDUzumaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@k4tzm4n:

@k4tzm4n said:

I really dont get that, Hannibal airs on the same channel and its more gruesome than most shows I've seen. I dont get the problem with smoking, its 2014 if people wanna smoke they'll smoke.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for tylerdurden7272
TylerDurden7272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a little to early for me to juge but this is starting to become my favorite comic book show.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@bigcimmerian said:

They are all separate from each other bar Flash and Arrow. Yes he does smoke but you only ever see him put a cigarette in his mouth or stumping one out not what happens in between.

Not necessarily true. The studios might have a crossover but nothing is confirmed yet. Honestly it would benefit them both to do it. Gotham might be the only one left out to dry considering it takes place in the past

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous said:

@bigcimmerian said:

Not necessarily true. The studios might have a crossover but nothing is confirmed yet. Honestly it would benefit them both to do it. Gotham might be the only one left out to dry considering it takes place in the past

They are all at different studios, there is no way they will crossover.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@saint_wildcard said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@bigcimmerian said:

They are all at different studios, there is no way they will crossover.

I've heard rumors (but of course that's just rumors) and Geoff John's comments make it seem like the DC tv stuff is gonna be part of the DC multiverse which could connect itself to the movies. Honestly the studios only gain from being connected and it would benefit them all. Constantine is small enough to take place somewhere in the world that it won't affect the CW shows (unlike what happened in MoS). It could tie into Arrow and Flash there wouldn't be any problems. Only ones that might stand out are Supergirl and Titans.