Voltron Returns to Comics

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

I remember the first time I discovered Voltron as a kid. In the Chicago area, we had a couple cool (non-cable TV) channels that showed a bunch of old syndicated shows. A lot were of the Japanese flavor such as Speed Racer, Spector Man and Johnny Socko and his Flying Robot (or was it just called Giant Robot?). Voltron came a little later and I really dug it. At least I liked the first series, with the robot lion ships. Dynamite Entertainment has announced that they are bringing Voltron back to comics.

Sean Chen cover
Sean Chen cover

Coming in December, the series will feature covers by Alex Ross and written by Dynamite's own up and coming writer Brandon Thomas. The show was first released in 1984 and became an immediate hit. Featuring five young pilots (you can see them and get a tiny bit of information on them here, note that art doesn't represent this series) commanding five robot lions which could be combined into one cool looking giant robot, Voltron. The Voltron Force was in charge of protecting the planet Arus (ruled by Princess Allura) from the evil King Zarkon (from the plaent Doom). Zarkon's son Lotor and the witch Haggar would also cause mischief and just be a giant pain in the rear.

'Voltron is one of the most well-known cartoons of all-time,' says Dynamite President Nick Barrucci. 'Classic Media and World Events Productions are working with a wide-range of licensing partners to ensure Voltron's success. With the upcoming cartoon and a feature film in the works, now is the perfect time to launch a Voltron comic book for a new era, which will feature amazing Alex Ross covers! Our acquisition of this incredible brand is another step in Dynamite's exciting growth and builds on the ongoing success of our line.'
Alex Ross cover A
Alex Ross cover A
'I grew up loving the big robots from Japan,' says legendary artist Alex Ross. 'And Voltron is one of the coolest-looking of them!'

Who else is excited for the return? I'm looking forward to this. Check out the other covers to the first issue.

Wagner Reis cover
Wagner Reis cover
Alex Ross cover B
Alex Ross cover B
frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By frozenedge2

They're bringing back a classic! I'm so excited for this. Let's go, Voltron Force

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Or35ti

Dynamite rules!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The last comic book series had amazing art and great twists of the characters (like Keith being a martial arts instructor and having about 5-6 black belts) but the story went a little too far into a mystical aspect of what Voltron is. The final arc with them traveling back in time was just plain confusing. 

I saw the first few episodes of the new cartoon and its horrible compared to the 80's. Like alot of old cartoons given a modern twist the new Voltron cartoon worked too hard to invite kids into watching it and so had 3 kids be part of the team. This took the focus off the main story and put it on the kids which ruined the overall pace of the show. Add the fact that the show's Voltron could combine into different forms based on which lion was being used as the body (a huge slight against canon in favor of a toy line) and the show was pure bad all around. 

I'm not saying the new comic book series has to start with an origin arc, I think just a few backstory pages will do it, but I don't think it should be a direct sequel to what came before. Start with the team established and used to piloting the lions and create original stories from there.
Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

Those covers look very good. I should check this out. Good on Dynamite for bringing back old franchises.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Wow I shouldn't say I am surprised, but I don't think we go two weeks without getting something new out of Dynamite. I don't know if I'll pick it up, it will really depend, I loved the series growing up, but most everything that I grew up loving that has been re-released, ie GI Joe, Thunder Cats, I just haven't been able to get into because its been changed to much.

Also is it just me or has anyone else thought about the Voltron He-Man dynamic?

If you haven't Voltron is the Defender of the Universe... He-Man is Master of the Universe.. does that mean Voltron has to listen to He-Man?

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By CATPANEXE

I've said this before and I will again.
Companies like Dynamite and IDW have our, the readers best interests in mind and are doing comics
the way they should be done.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Trodorne
@CATPANEXE said:
I've said this before and I will again. Companies like Dynamite and IDW have our, the readers best interests in mind and are doing comics the way they should be done.
lol if that is the case, I want Vol 4 of Masters of the Universe, and a new Thundercats comic. Oh and Bravestarr.
CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CATPANEXE
@Trodorne said:

@CATPANEXE said:

I've said this before and I will again. Companies like Dynamite and IDW have our, the readers best interests in mind and are doing comics the way they should be done.
lol if that is the case, I want Vol 4 of Masters of the Universe, and a new Thundercats comic. Oh and Bravestarr.
The Thundercats are currently held by Warner Bros, Masters Of The Universe is currently in entertainment limbo with no current series or toys, and Bravestarr? Um, I'd hold your breath on that one as much as a new Inhumanoids series. (yes, I'm alluding to the fact that I would bet you'll see a new Thundercats series by DC or Dark Horse. ;))

Seriously, Dynamite and IDW have hit on such an obscene amount of beloved properties and characters in the past year alone that it's unbelievable, and put them out 
with top quality and the best talent they could grab in the industry. I think a lack of the magnanimous Bravestarr isn't hurting the point I tried to make, honestly.
GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GrimoireMyst

Great news. I loved the show as a kid and will look for this one.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By NightFang3
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By danhimself

awesome!!! I love these throw back series!!!

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GrimoireMyst

@ltbrd said:

The last comic book series had amazing art and great twists of the characters (like Keith being a martial arts instructor and having about 5-6 black belts) but the story went a little too far into a mystical aspect of what Voltron is. The final arc with them traveling back in time was just plain confusing. I saw the first few episodes of the new cartoon and its horrible compared to the 80's. Like alot of old cartoons given a modern twist the new Voltron cartoon worked too hard to invite kids into watching it and so had 3 kids be part of the team. This took the focus off the main story and put it on the kids which ruined the overall pace of the show. Add the fact that the show's Voltron could combine into different forms based on which lion was being used as the body (a huge slight against canon in favor of a toy line) and the show was pure bad all around. I'm not saying the new comic book series has to start with an origin arc, I think just a few backstory pages will do it, but I don't think it should be a direct sequel to what came before. Start with the team established and used to piloting the lions and create original stories from there.

You have got to be kidding me.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Trodorne
@CATPANEXE: Problem with MOTU (masters of the universe.) is the fact its owned by mattel, and they won't put out anything unless there is a cartoon and a toyline to go with it. Right now the closest thing we got is MOTU Classics line which is awesome by the way. But If they could get Val staples and Emiliano Santalucia on a new series again that would be AMAZING!
Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Sold. I Loved Voltron as a kid.
Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

I hope they go old school Voltron, not a fan of the new Nick Toons version as much

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Daveyo520

Voltorn was one of my favorite shows as a kid. I tried to watch it again a couple years ago; let's just say it has not aged well.

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Osiris1428

CLASSIC YOU BASTARDS!!!!!!!!

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CATPANEXE
@Trodorne said:
@CATPANEXE: Problem with MOTU (masters of the universe.) is the fact its owned by mattel, and they won't put out anything unless there is a cartoon and a toyline to go with it. Right now the closest thing we got is MOTU Classics line which is awesome by the way. But If they could get Val staples and Emiliano Santalucia on a new series again that would be AMAZING!
Exactly. And that's sad that they're still stuck in such an old mentality. MOTU is well enough known and has such an immense fanbase, particularly in the nostalgic end where
it doesn't need these things to sell a product, though clearly it's more a matter of Mattel wanting theirs. It's silly because of the DC Vs MOTU line they just pushed an the fact that each of the first figures bolstered a comic book with it, which was a large part of the series popularity. What I'm saying is I actually think MOTU could thrive solely as a comic book+action figure property without an animated/live action vehicle to go with it, and I'd think profit is just profit anyway you look at it. But it's clear still that Mattel just doesn't feel this way.
Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Dynamite's done it again! Gosh, I'm starting to wonder if I should really consider getting some more Dynamite once again like I used to because of great moves like this. LOVE Voltron...

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I guess they are making a comic book because of the success of the new show

maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By maxicere

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CATPANEXE
@haydenclaireheroes said:

I guess they are making a comic book because of the success of the new show

that and the upcoming film
Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Sobe Cin
@ltbrd

Have you watched the New Thundercats, because that has been fantastic, better than what anybody around where I live expected.
Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#24  Edited By The Impersonator

What can I say? Alex Ross is the best artist there is. LET'S GO VOLTRON FORCE!

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#25  Edited By SC  Moderator

D'awwh, now I won't feel as hip when casually referring to Voltron in my posts. 

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CATPANEXE
@SC: You will however be hip for casually making reference to Voltron. Just ask Busta Rhymes.
LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LP

Another victory. And is there anything Alex Ross can't make awesome?

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Primmaster64

Cool
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ssejllenrad

At first I was like meh... But then I saw the Alex Ross Cover and then I had a nerdgasm.

ALdragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ALdragon17

"And I formed the Head"

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers