Preview: AVENGERS #1

• 68 results
Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

AVENGERS #1

No Caption Provided
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7

(W) Mark Waid (A) Mike Del Mundo (CA) Alex Ross

The time has come! Their ranks shattered by Civil War, their spirits weighted down by a toll both personal and spiritual, Earth's Mightiest Heroes must find the resolve to stand united one final time against their greatest foe! Captain America! Thor! The Vision! The Wasp! Spider-Man! Hercules! When the dust settles, not a one of these valiant heroes will make it to the final page alive! This is KANG WAR ONE!

Rated T+

SEP160885 In Shops: Nov 02, 2016 SRP: $4.99

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#1 Posted by Tantani (2945 posts) - - Show Bio

We know Nadia Pym for like 3 issues and she is already an avengers

But Riri (iron hurt) which we know is becoming friend with almost all the Champions roster and is the main current iron hero don't get to be a champion??

#2 Posted by nickschuff (31 posts) - - Show Bio

May pick this up for Mike Del Mundo's art alone but I only read the first three issues of Waid's last run on Avengers. Can anyone recommend or give a solid overview of the previous Avengers issues? I'm sure this run will have storylines based off of existing stories from the previous volume.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#3 Posted by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is Hercules using a gun? And why does he look like a DBZ character?

#4 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd buy this book of it was Real Thor and Cap....because this is an otherwise cool line up. Way to frick it up Marvel

#6 Posted by Manchine (6329 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd buy this book of it was Real Thor and Cap....because this is an otherwise cool line up. Way to frick it up Marvel

#7 Posted by BKole (591 posts) - - Show Bio

Despite the incredibly charitable comments from above, I'll be buying this book because I enjoy the characters in it even if they're not the "real" Captain America or Thor. Interested to learn more about Wasp, and see Hercules again after the not-quite-up-to-par ending for his last Solo.

Incidentally, @sprior93: Herc is using a gun because he has moved into a modern age. He is trying to fix himself, no longer drinking, and focus on being the hero he used to be, rather than the laughing stock he was.

#8 Posted by waezi2 (25450 posts) - - Show Bio

@tantani said:

We know Nadia Pym for like 3 issues and she is already an avengers

But Riri (iron hurt) which we know is becoming friend with almost all the Champions roster and is the main current iron hero don't get to be a champion??

Surprisingly many of the Avengers had their first appearance in an Avengers series, then became part of the team, like Vision and Wonderman. No big dea.

#9 Edited by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

@bkole said:

Despite the incredibly charitable comments from above, I'll be buying this book because I enjoy the characters in it even if they're not the "real" Captain America or Thor. Interested to learn more about Wasp, and see Hercules again after the not-quite-up-to-par ending for his last Solo.

Incidentally, @sprior93: Herc is using a gun because he has moved into a modern age. He is trying to fix himself, no longer drinking, and focus on being the hero he used to be, rather than the laughing stock he was.

Did you read Gods of War? His series directly continues into that and finishes off the Uprising Storm arc. Thought it was pretty good if a bit rushed toward the end.

#10 Posted by Joey Ravn (439 posts) - - Show Bio

@tantani: She has her own solo ongoing, to be fair.

#11 Edited by Tantani (2945 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but she is the primary armored character

Nadia is the secondary wasp

#12 Posted by RabumAlal (5443 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Herc depowered?

#13 Posted by BKole (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@Feartheliving: I did, I thought it was a bit of a wasted opportunity for the Uprising Storm, to be honest. They were good characters and really worked as a juxtaposition to the old world Gods. Shame they got shuffled off so easily.

#14 Posted by MAZAHS117 (13645 posts) - - Show Bio

*sigh* I miss the days I used to buy this book ?

Avatar image for spiderhyphenman
#15 Edited by spiderhyphenman (110 posts) - - Show Bio

Good premise and great art. I still believe Waid is a great writer even if ANAD Avengers initially underwhelmed but was much better at the end.

I wish they won't interrupt this book with events and let him properly test this line up against Kang.

#16 Posted by ia0delond (199 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93: because Hercules uses weapons and guns are efficient weapons.

If you read the books you would have known that

#17 Posted by mrkareemruiz (477 posts) - - Show Bio

Only getting this for Sam wilson.

#18 Posted by BKole (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@ia0delond: Not everyone can afford to read every book, which is why forums were invented. So people could talk about comics they do read, and also, that they don't read. No need to be offensive to someone 'cause they asked a question.

Of course, I may be misreading your statement, but it seems a bit snarky without the benefit of actual verbal dialogue.

#19 Posted by SlimeBeherit (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Really looking forward to Del Mundo sprucing up this series. The previous run wasn't terrible but it lacked focus, so I hope having a single artist will aid with that at least. Still I hope Waid has a particular story he wants to tell and its not just monster of the week stuff. We shall see.

#20 Posted by HercuThor (270 posts) - - Show Bio

*sigh* my love for Hercules, wish he was getting a solo again, battles with my dislike for much of this team...If only it was Thor Odinson and Steve Rogers it would've be an auto buy for me...

#21 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93 said:

Why is Hercules using a gun? And why does he look like a DBZ character?

God, you just hating on Marvel is so funny. I am sorry.

On topic, I love the colorful artwork, probably will pick this up.

#22 Posted by Mooty_Pass (10706 posts) - - Show Bio

YAY! A team of Avengers that I don't really care about...COOL.

*Except Hercules....I likes Hercules, the rest not interested*

#23 Posted by werst9 (201 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm here for Hercules, Vision and Nadia. Jane Thor is 50/50. Captain falcon meh. Vision has to much to live up to aftereceive kings run. Can't live up.

#24 Edited by MadGohan (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooops...Looks like someone turned off the ink layer before sending the art file to print.

#25 Posted by waezi2 (25450 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Herc depowered?

That's a good question. He lost his godhood in Chaos War in order to save existence and was reduced to badass normal. But it seems like he regained super-strength off screen. But it seems like he isn't as powerful as he used to be soAAAAND I'm rambling, sorry about that.

#26 Posted by kid Apollo (961 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93: in his current run, Herc might be transformed into a new god of war (new/modern pantheon being created) so they gave him a bunch of Ares weapons. no comment on the DBZ scouter though

#27 Posted by Wowlock (907 posts) - - Show Bio

'' When the dust settles, not a one of these valiant heroes will make it to the final page alive! ''

Oh screw you with these buzzwords, Marvel...

#28 Posted by Dedpool (692 posts) - - Show Bio

@kid_apollo: Ok I was about to say isn't he currently in a series? And I want Ares back! but if he's getting to be like his brother that'd be cool!

#29 Posted by ILostTheKey (993 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manchine said:
@nerevarine_11 said:

#30 Posted by Cagnazzo82 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manchine said:
@nerevarine_11 said:

My thoughts exactly.

#31 Posted by waezi2 (25450 posts) - - Show Bio

@dedpool said:

@kid_apollo: Ok I was about to say isn't he currently in a series? And I want Ares back! but if he's getting to be like his brother that'd be cool!

Ares was recently resurrected in the Contest Of Champions series and is about to form an European superhero team.

#32 Edited by Ezekael (88 posts) - - Show Bio

@ilostthekey said:
@Manchine said:
@nerevarine_11 said:

I'd probably even enjoy it more if it had this whole line-up PLUS the real Cap and the real Thor. But we couldn't have that, it might diminish the SJW agenda!

#33 Posted by WastelandMan (8856 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, at least it's a step up from the kiddie Avengers they had previously.

#34 Posted by RabumAlal (5443 posts) - - Show Bio

ASSEMBLE BITCH

#35 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@tantani said:

Yes, but she is the primary armored character

Nadia is the secondary wasp

Really? I'd argue Doctor Doom supersedes Riri by a fair margin, as being older, probably smarter, magic, experienced in this sort of thing, and being Doctor F'N Doom.

And I'm not gonna lie. I don't know how people are pretending this sounds any better if it were Steve Rogers and Odinson instead. It'd be a pretty similar series. Just less reason to arbitrarily complain.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
#36 Posted by superior_prime_maybe (1360 posts) - - Show Bio

@tantani: You will like Nadia Pym! Whether you want to or not. Just like Inhumans! Soon there will be a random virus that will kill Janet and there will be only one wasp.

#37 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16725 posts) - - Show Bio

Stan Lee is "the man", he´s awesome and the best creator, but why is he mentioned in the cover instead of Joe Simon as a creator of The Avengers ??

#38 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82: Because Stan Lee is always assumed to create everything Marvel related as he's the only person MCU Marbleites know about. Not Ditko, or Kirby or others but only Stan Lee.

#39 Posted by mangakid1995 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93: To paraphrase the author of the short lived Hercules solo series from last year Hercules is a warrior and throughout his very long life he like any warrior in his position would has adapted to and learned the skills of the time to improve himself, i.e. no weapon is off the table for the God of Heroes because why would they be?

#40 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

@mangakid1995: Because he has magic weapons at his disposal instead of normal guns, not to mention his own strength and abilities. If I'm a guy who can physically handle Hulk level opponents and have access to Olympian weaponry among other things, I'm not gonna resort to guns. That's boring as frick and again given greater context may as well be a downgrade. His gun here looks like a Halo assault rifle lol. I mean it's just there to "look cool".

#41 Posted by Tantani (2945 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: it doesn't matter who is the stronger between the 2

She is the primary armor character for now

#42 Posted by kid Apollo (961 posts) - - Show Bio

@dedpool: I'd much rather have Ares back then have Herc turn into the all new all different god of war. that being said, I do like Hercs series because everyone treats him likes hes a (drunk) child thats about to screw up, but hes sober and trying to take back his life. I liked it up until the CWII tie-ins, after those dropped they kinda lost me

#43 Posted by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

@bkole: I was surprised as well, but this is comics I wouldn't be surprised if they come back at some point in some form or another.

#44 Posted by mrkareemruiz (477 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Edited by Inglewoodian (102 posts) - - Show Bio

"His journey seems to have taken much out of him, but he remains impervious to the might of Mjolnir. Disappointing." That's because you ain't Thor bitch. Gods above bring back the real Thor please...I'm beyond done with this She-Thor PC crap.

I want Hercules to get another solo. His story before & during Civil War 2 was excellent & I was sad the ending was rushed because like others above said it was cool seeing the Old & New Gods. Really Herc's solo & Kingpen's solo were the best things about CW2. I honestly don't care about this team at all outside of Hercules & I'll be damned if I chip out $4.99 to Marvel since they've let me down with just about everything but Vision, The Ultimates & Black Panther. They seriously need to take note from Rebirth. Consistently beautiful artwork, excellent stories & fair price. Half the Marvel books out now have weak to OK stories with shitty artwork but cost $5! It's ludicrous. The covers look beautiful (especially this Alex Ross one!) but then you open the book & it's like it was written by teenage fanfic writers & drawn/colored by blind folks.

#46 Posted by g2_ (12819 posts) - - Show Bio

Im here for Spidey.

#47 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, another Avengers title. Sorry but after all the other Avengers titles that have come and gone in the past few years I can't get excited about yet another spin off from the franchise.

Avatar image for allaboutmarvels
#48 Posted by allaboutmarvels (41 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if hurcules got his god hood back?

#49 Posted by waezi2 (25450 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if hurcules got his god hood back?

It's one of those things we aren't suppose to know how works, it seems.

#50 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16725 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82: Because Stan Lee is always assumed to create everything Marvel related as he's the only person MCU Marbleites know about. Not Ditko, or Kirby or others but only Stan Lee.

That sucks for the others who had a part in creating the characters.