• 56 results
Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

Yesterday the news broke about Steve Rogers returning to his Captain America guise. We'll have Steve and Sam Wilson using the name. Nick Spencer will be writing both series. We'll get to see Steve's return in FCBD CAPTAIN AMERICA #1.

That's not all we'll see. Who will be DEAD NO MORE? Our first thought was Wolverine but with X-23 going by the name and Old Man Logan running around, that may not be too likely. Plus check out the description in the press release.

No Caption Provided

The biggest heroes, the biggest creators and the biggest stories in comics are coming to FREE COMIC BOOK DAY! And Marvel is bringing a second all-new title to comic shops this year!

Steve Rogers is returning to comics this May, and you can get your first taste on FREE COMIC BOOK DAY. Today, Marvel is pleased to unveil FCBD CAPTAIN AMERICA #1, featuring the reinvigorated Steve Rogers as Captain America! Nick Spencer and Jesus Saiz bring you one of Steve’s first adventures since his dramatic return in the pages of AVENGERS: STANDOFF and get you caught up just in time for the release of Captain America: Steve Rogers #1, coming to comic later that month!

But that’s not all! FCBD CAPTAIN AMERICA #1 will also feature a second all-new story and a special prelude to DEAD NO MORE, giving fans their first look at the blockbuster storyline coming later this year. If you got a chance to bring back someone who died, would you? And how will CLASSIFIED deal when ones they thought long dead once again walk the earth? Find out on FREE COMIC BOOK DAY!

This May, be there as Steve Rogers re-enters the fray and witness the startling secrets of DEAD NO MORE. No fan can afford to miss out on Marvel’s two all-new FREE COMIC BOOK DAY offerings this year – available May 7th at participating comic shops nationwide!

FCBD CAPTAIN AMERICA (JAN160037)

Written by NICK SPENCER & TOP SECRET

Art by JESUS SAIZ & TOP SECRET

Cover by JESUS SAIZ

Coming Free Comic Book Day!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#1 Posted by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio

It's free and I still can't bring myself to care.

#2 Posted by Figgs216 (131 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean at least Sam gets to stay Cap for a little longer but having two Caps running around just seems weird still. I mean when Steve came back from the dead he didn't suit back up right away he let Bucky do his thing it was only until he thought Bucky was dead again then he suited back up. So your telling me as soon as Steve gets his strength back he's gonna suit up again I find that very hard to believe especially when he's still fighting anyway on the uncanny avengers

#3 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

@figgs216: Well, when Bruce came back, Dick was still Batman for a bit in BATMAN INC.

#4 Posted by illmatic4177 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man: Also there are usually multiple Green Lanterns at any given time.

#5 Posted by Aliltron (234 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! So excited to have Steve back as Captain America. Now I can read a CA book again.

#6 Posted by deadpool25mm (864 posts) - - Show Bio

@aliltron said:

Yes! So excited to have Steve back as Captain America. Now I can read a CA book again.

Avatar image for victorcheenoanleu
#7 Posted by victorcheenoanleu (330 posts) - - Show Bio

There's like 20 Spider characters right now. Two wolverines, hell three or four give or take. Two Thors, one is unworthy. War machine is iron man in a different colored armor. Two black widows, three Hawkeyes, I can continue for days. Two Captain Americas should be okay, Steve Rogers & Sam Wilson are very different characters.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
#8 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (3366 posts) - - Show Bio

@figgs216 said:

I mean at least Sam gets to stay Cap for a little longer but having two Caps running around just seems weird still. I mean when Steve came back from the dead he didn't suit back up right away he let Bucky do his thing it was only until he thought Bucky was dead again then he suited back up. So your telling me as soon as Steve gets his strength back he's gonna suit up again I find that very hard to believe especially when he's still fighting anyway on the uncanny avengers

For some characters it works... Others not so much. Cap I think can work, I mean... Originally there WERE going to be multiple Captain Americas anyway, Steve has said so. He was never meant to be unique, just one of many.

#9 Posted by Figgs216 (131 posts) - - Show Bio

@smart_dork_dude: yeah I guess that's true you're right at the very least I'm glad Nick Spencer is writing both

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
#10 Posted by MattyDaveHalPeo (665 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93 said:

I'm a bit like that. Steve has been on/off Cap for so long it's got tedious. He wasn't Cap in the 50's, then he quit for a bit to be 'The Captain' and 'Nomad', then after Civil War Bucky took over, then Steve came back and magically aged 50 years for Sam Wilson to take over.

#11 Edited by DrThanos91 (227 posts) - - Show Bio

That was really quick,I mean I gave Sam a shot(I honestly thought he was doing fine),but this isnt the first time steve stepped down or was depowered before,so for people to still pouting about this and now instantly happy("yay the true caps back!!","now I'm gonna read it again" etc etc) is annoying.

maybe Rogers will the uncanny avengers captain america,but that's asking for too much.But I think I see a potential Captain America corps story coming XD

#12 Posted by capelibra (98 posts) - - Show Bio

There's like 20 Spider characters right now. Two wolverines, hell three or four give or take. Two Thors, one is unworthy. War machine is iron man in a different colored armor. Two black widows, three Hawkeyes, I can continue for days. Two Captain Americas should be okay, Steve Rogers & Sam Wilson are very different characters.

THIS!

#13 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (3366 posts) - - Show Bio

@figgs216 said:

@smart_dork_dude: yeah I guess that's true you're right at the very least I'm glad Nick Spencer is writing both

I'll fully admit, there are times I will say there are limits. Green Lantern Corps? It works with multiple GL's. The Flash, specifically Jay Garrick and Barry Allen. VASTLY different costumes and one of them was active in the 40's on a well known superhero team. People in DC recognized Jay as the ORIGINAL Flash... Also he was active in Keystone City, whereas Barry was in Central City.

I see it like this. It depends on what the identity means and what's being done with it.

Green Lantern= Name of an intergalactic police corps. Heck, some Lanterns don't even BOTHER with a secret identity anyway.

Batman= Again, this can work, Bruce even started Batman Inc which had some having their own unique identities and others just literally going by Batman of "Insert Country Here" and legit calling themselves Batman.

The Flash= It works... The problem being of course it works best with Jay and Barry/Wally. You throw in Barry and Wally, who's Flash costumes look BARELY different aside from some minor cosmetic differences and it starts getting... Kinda off.

Spider-Man= With Peter Parker now running an entire company and having HIS Spider-Man identity as the "mascot" of said company and being more worldwide now, having Miles Morales in New York and who of course has a different costume lets that sharing of a codename work.

The Hulk= We've had She-Hulk, Red Hulk, Red She-Hulk, basically the term Hulk just applies to gamma powered individuals that LOOK like the original Hulk AKA Bruce Banner. It works in that aspect.

And finally we've got Hawkeye= Clint Barton and Kate Bishop... Kate just flatout refused to give up the name and Clint was fine with it and they fight crime together.

Like I said it can be tricky, but it's not all that hard depending on the character.

#14 Posted by benwoodtweet (48 posts) - - Show Bio

@figgs216 said:

I'll fully admit, there are times I will say there are limits. Green Lantern Corps? It works with multiple GL's. The Flash, specifically Jay Garrick and Barry Allen. VASTLY different costumes and one of them was active in the 40's on a well known superhero team. People in DC recognized Jay as the ORIGINAL Flash... Also he was active in Keystone City, whereas Barry was in Central City.

I see it like this. It depends on what the identity means and what's being done with it.

Green Lantern= Name of an intergalactic police corps. Heck, some Lanterns don't even BOTHER with a secret identity anyway.

Batman= Again, this can work, Bruce even started Batman Inc which had some having their own unique identities and others just literally going by Batman of "Insert Country Here" and legit calling themselves Batman.

The Flash= It works... The problem being of course it works best with Jay and Barry/Wally. You throw in Barry and Wally, who's Flash costumes look BARELY different aside from some minor cosmetic differences and it starts getting... Kinda off.

Spider-Man= With Peter Parker now running an entire company and having HIS Spider-Man identity as the "mascot" of said company and being more worldwide now, having Miles Morales in New York and who of course has a different costume lets that sharing of a codename work.

The Hulk= We've had She-Hulk, Red Hulk, Red She-Hulk, basically the term Hulk just applies to gamma powered individuals that LOOK like the original Hulk AKA Bruce Banner. It works in that aspect.

And finally we've got Hawkeye= Clint Barton and Kate Bishop... Kate just flatout refused to give up the name and Clint was fine with it and they fight crime together.

Like I said it can be tricky, but it's not all that hard depending on the character.

Yes It can work but the whole Jay to Barry to Wally thing worked because one stepped down or died and the other took over. Same thing With Allen Scott to Hale Jordan and the other corps members of the Earth. There's never any case where characters stay out off the roles permanently anymore or at the vary leas for a long stretch of time. When Bucky was done being Cap it felt like he didn't have enough time. Sam is wearing the costume and there's enough difference between his and Steve's, but his days as Cap are numbered.

#15 Posted by Dernman (25909 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man said:

@figgs216: Well, when Bruce came back, Dick was still Batman for a bit in BATMAN INC.

Personally that is a check bad idea box.

@g_man: Also there are usually multiple Green Lanterns at any given time.

Why do people keep using this as an example when they're not the same thing. Green Lantern is more than a code name? Green Lantern is a term like police officer.

At best you can use the Alan Scott example but by then he was more known from his real name then GL like the rest of the JSA. Even then they changed his name to Sentinel to differentiate.

Avatar image for misternefarious
#16 Posted by MisterNefarious (149 posts) - - Show Bio

@capelibra: It's still a fair criticism, though. But yes, Marvel is now totally the Noah's ark of comics.

Every hero comes in two's

#17 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (3366 posts) - - Show Bio

@benwoodtweet: But Jay and Alan WERE active in the JSA still so....

#18 Posted by benwoodtweet (48 posts) - - Show Bio

@smart_dork_dude: Point taken but they were only in the JSA books, never having there only solo series, almost like they were background characters. With what Marvel's doing we will have All-New All-Different Captain America for Sam, and plain Captain America for Steve. Ultimately, one will outsell the other, which will lead to a cancellation, and fan backlash, and so many other things that gives me a migraine just thinking about it.

#19 Posted by CaptainRex (305 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok I do not understand how people can be ok with multiple heroes sharing the same codename. A hero is someone you look up to, they are unique, they are special, you here their name and you are automatically recognise who you are talking about.

Having multiple heroes with the same identity robs the hero of his/her uniqueness. And whatever argument anyone can make against it, well let me ask you something. If I say "Wolverine" who's the first person that comes to mind? If I say "X-23" who do you think of? If I were to go up to an average person on the street and ask them who Thor is, would they not say he's a dude who swings a hammer?

My point is, If anyone can just share the title, were the heroes really that special to begin with?

Avatar image for misternefarious
#20 Posted by MisterNefarious (149 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainrex: Because it lets people who want change have it without getting rid of the thing they loved growing up?

I love Peter Parker. I don't want him gone. But I want new life and perspectives integrated in. I like Miles. I get to have my cake and eat it too.

#21 Posted by donmeca2020 (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

Im glad Steve is back, he is and will always be the one and only REAL Captain America. hell i haven't even been a regular follower of Cap, but im happy they're (Marvel) has finally thought to bring him back. Now we need the REAL Thor, and Banner hulk back as well. if they want to keep producing these "diverse" versions of them so be it but bring the originals back for us Long time fans already....

They want to keep 2 titles going with Steve as one version and sam as the other so be it.... no harm in that, however i just had some idiot quote me saying im "racist" because i think these new character mash ups that marvel has been spewing out are just garbage mockeries of the the real ones. the whole Amadeus Cho hulk, She Thor, and capfalcon are just a desperate attempt from Marvel to try appealling to crowds that may or actually may not be there.....

#22 Posted by CaptainRex (305 posts) - - Show Bio

@misternefarious: Thats why they introduce characters that relate to the main character. Hulk, Red Hulk, She Hulk. Iron Man, War Machine, Rescue. Hell even Spider Man, Scarlet Spider, Spider Woman.

characters that relate the the title character, but are there own unique characters themselves without having to sponge off the main hero. I like change, but I like smart creative change. This is just lazy writing to quickly promote new characters instead of building them up the right way.

Avatar image for germancomicidiot
#23 Edited by GermanComicIdiot (68 posts) - - Show Bio

PIf not the real Wolverine, then at least Odinson unworthy.

#24 Posted by Dernman (25909 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainrex: Because it lets people who want change have it without getting rid of the thing they loved growing up?

I love Peter Parker. I don't want him gone. But I want new life and perspectives integrated in. I like Miles. I get to have my cake and eat it too.

Sorry but that's kind of a stupid thing because it wouldn't be a problem if they didn't do the whole replacement thing in the first place. Especially when 99% of them are a terrible idea.Worse even when you know the original is coming back. The better way to do it is develop the characters in their own name. They shouldn't sacrifice the larger MC story just for the smaller one.

Side note: You had it both ways in a almost acceptable way when Miles was in another universe. Then they had to muddy the waters by combining them in the same universe.

There excuse is to bull about they didn't want to put a wall up for the character because he wasn't in the main universe. Total bull considering it was part of the charm and they don't seem to have problem doing that with SPider-Gwen.

#25 Posted by Haloprogram (228 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Edited by Kid_jakeriv (410 posts) - - Show Bio

So can we actually talk about the free comic book? I want to talk about this as much as the next guy, but this article isn't about that. Anyways anyone else think some this a retcon of Winter Solider? We'll find out that Bucky was actually still dead, but now he's alive. And the one that is running around now is like a clone or something. This theory is probably crap though lol

#27 Posted by lb70145 (263 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok I do not understand how people can be ok with multiple heroes sharing the same codename. A hero is someone you look up to, they are unique, they are special, you here their name and you are automatically recognize who you are talking about.

Having multiple heroes with the same identity robs the hero of his/her uniqueness. And whatever argument anyone can make against it, well let me ask you something. If I say "Wolverine" who's the first person that comes to mind? If I say "X-23" who do you think of? If I were to go up to an average person on the street and ask them who Thor is, would they not say he's a dude who swings a hammer?

My point is, If anyone can just share the title, were the heroes really that special to begin with?

But how about Dr. Who, James Bond, or even Batman/Robin? Multiple incarnations and ask someone who that person is to them, you will get different answers. Heroes are special and they are recognizable, but not everyone likes/looks up to their hero for same reason. Some people love Batman for the Nolan Films, some grew up with the Bruce Timm Animated Series, some with the Adam West TV series. All of those incarnations are still Batman, but they do focus on different aspects of Batman.

I imagine we are going through similar experiences as the readers that transitioned from Jay Garrick to Barry Allen or Barry Allen to Wally West (and vice versa).

I don't think multiple incarnations rob a character of their uniqueness, I think it just adds to their importance and creates more layers to those characters.

#28 Posted by CaptainRex (305 posts) - - Show Bio

@lb70145 said:
@captainrex said:

Ok I do not understand how people can be ok with multiple heroes sharing the same codename. A hero is someone you look up to, they are unique, they are special, you here their name and you are automatically recognize who you are talking about.

But how about Dr. Who, James Bond, or even Batman/Robin? Multiple incarnations and ask someone who that person is to them, you will get different answers. Heroes are special and they are recognizable, but not everyone likes/looks up to their hero for same reason. Some people love Batman for the Nolan Films, some grew up with the Bruce Timm Animated Series, some with the Adam West TV series. All of those incarnations are still Batman, but they do focus on different aspects of Batman.

I imagine we are going through similar experiences as the readers that transitioned from Jay Garrick to Barry Allen or Barry Allen to Wally West (and vice versa).

I don't think multiple incarnations rob a character of their uniqueness, I think it just adds to their importance and creates more layers to those characters.

That is completely beside the point. Im not talking about who played the character Im talking about the character themselves. Each actor who has played Dr Who is still the Doctor just played by different actors. The same can be said for James Bond, different actors, still James Bond. And for the Batman franchise, sure there are many different adaptations, but at the very core of it all they are all still Bruce Wayne.

Comparing them to the different Flash's is like comparing Coke and Milk, both drinks but entirely different. Jay Garrick, Barry Allan and Wally West are three entirely different characters that inherited the Flash title at DIFFERENT times. Thats clever writing right there.

What Marvel is doing is having multiple characters exist in the same time that all share their titles. Thats not clever, thats just lazy writing to promote New heroes quickly without putting any effort in what so ever. (Except for X-23, her character and story are just amazing. Call it a guilty pleasure of mine.)

#29 Posted by mtrakos (581 posts) - - Show Bio

@illmatic4177: apples and hotdogs.

Green Lanterns intergalactic police with numerous members. Captain America historically has been one.

If Mavel wants to turn guys into little "sentinels of liberty" then give it to brand New guys.

Bucky Sam Clint Walker all in my opinion have more than enough character to develop them into bigger names.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
#30 Posted by superior_prime_maybe (1360 posts) - - Show Bio

@figgs216: two captain America, two spider-men, soon we'll have 2 thors and iron man too.

Avatar image for davidearlhutchinson01
#31 Posted by davidearlhutchinson01 (0 posts) - - Show Bio

That is fantastic Marvel! Now give me back Namor and we should be all squared. Also get a writer than can write him properly for F*ck sake!

#32 Posted by Kokemabb200 (3400 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93 said:

#33 Posted by Kokemabb200 (3400 posts) - - Show Bio

That is fantastic Marvel! Now give me back Namor and we should be all squared. Also get a writer than can write him properly for F*ck sake!

Yes please!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#34 Edited by The Impersonator (8473 posts) - - Show Bio

Steve wasn't dead.

#35 Posted by lb70145 (263 posts) - - Show Bio

@lb70145 said:

That is completely beside the point. Im not talking about who played the character Im talking about the character themselves. Each actor who has played Dr Who is still the Doctor just played by different actors. The same can be said for James Bond, different actors, still James Bond. And for the Batman franchise, sure there are many different adaptations, but at the very core of it all they are all still Bruce Wayne.

Comparing them to the different Flash's is like comparing Coke and Milk, both drinks but entirely different. Jay Garrick, Barry Allan and Wally West are three entirely different characters that inherited the Flash title at DIFFERENT times. Thats clever writing right there.

What Marvel is doing is having multiple characters exist in the same time that all share their titles. Thats not clever, thats just lazy writing to promote New heroes quickly without putting any effort in what so ever. (Except for X-23, her character and story are just amazing. Call it a guilty pleasure of mine.)

Each Doctor incarnation has a different personality, but every time there was a new Doctor it didn't diminish or make the previous one worse. Tennant's Doctor is very different from Capaldi's Doctor. Same thing with James Bond. Craig's Bond is very different from Brosnan's Bond. Can you honestly say that Kevin Conroy's Batman is the same as Diedrich Bader's Batman? Or Bale's and West's? Even writers can change how the character is portrayed. While some love Waid's take on Daredevil, others feel it is a complete betrayal of the character. Yet, it is all Matt Murdock all the same no? And everyone will be drawn to something different from all these incarnations.

Your lack of Flash knowledge is also showing because there was overlap when multiple Flashes operated at the same time. Jay was quite active whether it was on the JSA or acting as a mentor to other Flashes, despite Barry and/or Wally's presence (Barry and Wally were even Flashes at the same time). No one felt the need to change their code name to accommodate the other. Heck it was even the case with Batman when Bruce was brought back (though short lived). Hulks and Ghost Riders have operated simultaneously and Spider-Men currently operate at the same time.

Do I wish Steve just stuck to the whole Commander Rogers thing, yeah. But does Steve and Sam being Captain America at the same time make them any less special or make Captain America less recognizable? No. Sam is doing his thing acting as a free agent while Steve is the Government's Captain America, so they do actually serve different purposes.

#36 Posted by CaptainRex (305 posts) - - Show Bio

@lb70145 said:
@captainrex said:
@lb70145 said:

Each Doctor incarnation has a different personality, but every time there was a new Doctor it didn't diminish or make the previous one worse. Tennant's Doctor is very different from Capaldi's Doctor. Same thing with James Bond. Craig's Bond is very different from Brosnan's Bond. Can you honestly say that Kevin Conroy's Batman is the same as Diedrich Bader's Batman? Or Bale's and West's? Even writers can change how the character is portrayed. While some love Waid's take on Daredevil, others feel it is a complete betrayal of the character. Yet, it is all Matt Murdock all the same no? And everyone will be drawn to something different from all these incarnations.

Your lack of Flash knowledge is also showing because there was overlap when multiple Flashes operated at the same time. Jay was quite active whether it was on the JSA or acting as a mentor to other Flashes, despite Barry and/or Wally's presence (Barry and Wally were even Flashes at the same time). No one felt the need to change their code name to accommodate the other. Heck it was even the case with Batman when Bruce was brought back (though short lived). Hulks and Ghost Riders have operated simultaneously and Spider-Men currently operate at the same time.

Do I wish Steve just stuck to the whole Commander Rogers thing, yeah. But does Steve and Sam being Captain America at the same time make them any less special or make Captain America less recognizable? No. Sam is doing his thing acting as a free agent while Steve is the Government's Captain America, so they do actually serve different purposes.

Ok Ill give you that one, my knowledge of the Flash is limited. But I still stand by my statement that despite different actors, whether its Dr Who, James Bond, Batman or any number of character portraits over the years, at their core, they are the same character. Same goals, same personality, same traits and the same identity. Different, but the same.

The comics are not doing that at all. Sam is Falcon, he will always be recognised as Falcon. Just as Laura will always be known as X-23, Kitty Pryde will always be Shadowcat and Amadeus Cho will always be... well Amadeus Cho. This isn't a case of a different actor coming in to assume a role for a new franchise. A Hero's Title is his/her identity, it is the role they play in our minds and imagination. By simply having them share the Title it does rob them of that uniqueness. Sam as Falcon stood for something different than Captain America, just like every other character in the Marvel Universe. They each have their own goals and their own journeys. Don't have them take over someone else's goal, let them grow as their own character and build their own mantles, instead of putting them in the shadows of another.

#37 Posted by illmatic4177 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainrex: How is it lazy writing? They have been building Sam up, they have established how he is differnt then Steve, and now finally they are bringing Steve back.

#38 Posted by CaptainRex (305 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainrex: How is it lazy writing? They have been building Sam up, they have established how he is differnt then Steve, and now finally they are bringing Steve back.

Sam has been built up as Falcon and while he was a lesser known her for a long time in his comic run. Thanks to the movies and TV series, he was starting to rise in popularity. But instead of having him as a well established, unique character. They strip him of him moniker and instead, give him the Title of a well known A-list hero as a publicity stunt to create more diversity in the comics. Yeah people tend to forget that this only happened for diversity sake. Thor, Hulk, Iceman, all great hero's now reduced to gimmicks to satisfy the PC crowd and SJW's

To Quote Stan Lee himself. “It has nothing to do with being anti-gay, or anti-black, or anti-Latino, or anything like that,” Lee said. “Latino characters should stay Latino. The Black Panther should certainly not be Swiss. I just see no reason to change that which has already been established when it’s so easy to add new characters. I say create new characters the way you want to. Hell, I’ll do it myself.”

#39 Posted by lb70145 (263 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainrex: Don't get me wrong, I disagree with how some Marvel Legacy characters are being handled. I just don't think it waters down the characters or their mantles. Not to mention, some characters have been able to transcend their original role. Dick Grayson was able to evolve from being Batman's sidekick and I want more characters to be able to do that. It just depends on the character. I loved Kitty being a headmistress and felt that role is better than being the new Star Lord. I like X-23 being the new Wolverine even though it is super ironic that the clone of Wolverine has chosen to embrace that role rather than become her own person. And while Cho being the new Hulk is super random, so far his book has been fun so there is not much to complain about.

I still think even with Sam and Steve both being Cap, they still represent American Ideals but in different lights. I think that makes it really interesting. Sam is more of the traditional superhero, saving people and working with other heroes to do the same. He represents the average modern american and therefore looks out for the common man. Whereas Steve is more of SHIELD/Government Operative and is working to fight credible threats. He represents an idealistic american and is more out to protect American interests through security. At least that is how I have read into Sam's current series and how Steve has been portrayed when he was Commander Rogers and Old Man Rogers. And maybe I am looking to much into it, but to me the fact that there can be two Caps and they are doing different things and represent different ideals and demographics yet coexist says a lot about the respect Sam and Steve have for each other. It shows that cooperation and unity can be achieved despite being different and while doing different things can work toward a better tomorrow for all.

Again, I think all this conversation and many others like it prove is that everyone gets something different from the characters they enjoy. I have been reading Cap for a while now and the state of Captain America is always just an indicator for the time in which it is written. To me, it makes sense that there are 2 Caps.

#40 Posted by CaptainRex (305 posts) - - Show Bio

@lb70145 said:

@captainrex: Don't get me wrong, I disagree with how some Marvel Legacy characters are being handled. I just don't think it waters down the characters or their mantles. Not to mention, some characters have been able to transcend their original role. Dick Grayson was able to evolve from being Batman's sidekick and I want more characters to be able to do that. It just depends on the character. I loved Kitty being a headmistress and felt that role is better than being the new Star Lord. I like X-23 being the new Wolverine even though it is super ironic that the clone of Wolverine has chosen to embrace that role rather than become her own person. And while Cho being the new Hulk is super random, so far his book has been fun so there is not much to complain about.

I still think even with Sam and Steve both being Cap, they still represent American Ideals but in different lights. I think that makes it really interesting. Sam is more of the traditional superhero, saving people and working with other heroes to do the same. He represents the average modern american and therefore looks out for the common man. Whereas Steve is more of SHIELD/Government Operative and is working to fight credible threats. He represents an idealistic american and is more out to protect American interests through security. At least that is how I have read into Sam's current series and how Steve has been portrayed when he was Commander Rogers and Old Man Rogers. And maybe I am looking to much into it, but to me the fact that there can be two Caps and they are doing different things and represent different ideals and demographics yet coexist says a lot about the respect Sam and Steve have for each other. It shows that cooperation and unity can be achieved despite being different and while doing different things can work toward a better tomorrow for all.

Again, I think all this conversation and many others like it prove is that everyone gets something different from the characters they enjoy. I have been reading Cap for a while now and the state of Captain America is always just an indicator for the time in which it is written. To me, it makes sense that there are 2 Caps.

Ok let me put it like this. Captain Americas story is, in spirit, the story of America. Something that started out weak is then made strong in defence of its country. Steve journey from War Hero to Avenger and fighting for the freedom is a great and inspiring story. Passing the mantel onto Falcon was a good character development for him. But aside from being more culturally diverse, Sam didn't really bring much to the table. He was an interesting character before he got the shield and he'll be an interesting character without it.

But the thing is, I never saw Falcon as Caps sidekick. That role only applied to Bucky, who is basically the Marvel version of Dick Greyson (Or more accurately Jason Todd). I always saw Sam as Caps friend and partner, equals and his own character. If they truly wanted him to be Caps sidekick I'm pretty sure they would have named him Eagle. But while Sam as Cap felt like a natural development, I feel like its run its course. The Cap Falcon comics just don't interest me anymore, so it only feels right to have Cap return and have Sam go back to being Falcon.

Having 2 Cap's dose not seem like the way to go. If anything this just makes me see a Civil War every time this comes up. Seriously 2 Americas, that butt heads on occasion and believe that their way is the right way. Am I the only one that sees this?

There can be and should be, only 1 Captain America. And his name is Steve Rogers.

Thats the opinion that I'm standing by. You can agree with me or not, doesn't really matter. We are all entitled to our own opinion.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
#41 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (4461 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man: When is Free Comic Book Day?

#42 Posted by TheValiant (150 posts) - - Show Bio

This could be interesting... and not from a comic-story standpoint, but rather a "Do people REALLY hate the PC/SWJ-ification of Marvel?"

While I'll personally be buying both (though I'm not really digging Spencer's current run on SW Cap) here is the prime opportunity to see if a majority folks are REALLY unhappy about the changes or if its just a loud minority. Here is the chance to let your dollar be heard. If sales for SR Cap crush SW Cap... or will we see that most of these folks complaining don't read (or at a minimum don't buy) the comics about the characters they are lobbying for.

Get your popcorn ready.

#43 Posted by just_john (9 posts) - - Show Bio

THE REAL CAPTAIN AMERICA IS BACK!!!!!!!!

#44 Posted by lb70145 (263 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok let me put it like this. Captain Americas story is, in spirit, the story of America. Something that started out weak is then made strong in defence of its country. Steve journey from War Hero to Avenger and fighting for the freedom is a great and inspiring story. Passing the mantel onto Falcon was a good character development for him. But aside from being more culturally diverse, Sam didn't really bring much to the table. He was an interesting character before he got the shield and he'll be an interesting character without it.

But the thing is, I never saw Falcon as Caps sidekick. That role only applied to Bucky, who is basically the Marvel version of Dick Greyson (Or more accurately Jason Todd). I always saw Sam as Caps friend and partner, equals and his own character. If they truly wanted him to be Caps sidekick I'm pretty sure they would have named him Eagle. But while Sam as Cap felt like a natural development, I feel like its run its course. The Cap Falcon comics just don't interest me anymore, so it only feels right to have Cap return and have Sam go back to being Falcon.

Having 2 Cap's dose not seem like the way to go. If anything this just makes me see a Civil War every time this comes up. Seriously 2 Americas, that butt heads on occasion and believe that their way is the right way. Am I the only one that sees this?

There can be and should be, only 1 Captain America. And his name is Steve Rogers.

Thats the opinion that I'm standing by. You can agree with me or not, doesn't really matter. We are all entitled to our own opinion.

Should there be one Cap? Like I said, the way that the country is right now it makes sense there are two. One for the people and one for the system that represents and protects that people. Do they butt heads? Of course. But are they at odds with one another? Not necessarily. There is definitely a play on Freedom versus Security here (which if done on purpose is brilliant) and it is so relevant it hurts.

I just don't want Marvel to bend to the status quo. It sucked when it happened to Bucky and it will suck just as much if not more if it happens to Sam. I want progression dammit. I want students from the Xavier/Jean Grey School to graduate and become heroes in their own right. I would love to see Franklin and Valeria allowed to grow up rather be de-aged for whatever reason every few years. I want Peter Parker to get married, have kids, and be an adult (yeah I am one of those people). And yes, it would be great if Sam stayed on as Cap.

It just frustrates me whenever some characters get to move up or change, while others are left to stay the same. Like Agent Venom, I would never have thought that Flash would still be in the suit. Not to mention the amount he has accomplished whether it is serving on the Avengers, running with the Thunderbolts, or flying through space with the Guardians. But at the same time, the Future Foundation went back to being the Fantastic Four because... reasons. Or the fact that it seems Moon Knight is being reinvented for like the billionth time despite Ellis/Wood's run being fantastic and their established mythology being a great jumping off point for Lemire.

For now Marvel has me with Sam as Cap. I won't be picking up Steve's run and If Sam loses the mantle, I still wouldn't be picking up Steve's run to get my Cap fix. From a business perspective having these two at the same time is smart, this way they cater to two groups of readers. I am just afraid if both these books do well, we will have and Odinson (which I wouldn't be too against), Banner Hulk, and revived 616 Wolverine before you know it in their own titles. I think Spider-Man will not be the same case, but Miles' book hasn't come out yet so who knows.

#45 Posted by jimmyjames (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Cover Art is Daniel Acuña.

#46 Posted by PScully (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Why don't they just call it Captain America - One More Day?

#47 Posted by CaptainRex (305 posts) - - Show Bio

@lb70145 said:
@captainrex said:

Should there be one Cap? Like I said, the way that the country is right now it makes sense there are two. One for the people and one for the system that represents and protects that people. Do they butt heads? Of course. But are they at odds with one another? Not necessarily. There is definitely a play on Freedom versus Security here (which if done on purpose is brilliant) and it is so relevant it hurts.

I just don't want Marvel to bend to the status quo. It sucked when it happened to Bucky and it will suck just as much if not more if it happens to Sam. I want progression dammit. I want students from the Xavier/Jean Grey School to graduate and become heroes in their own right. I would love to see Franklin and Valeria allowed to grow up rather be de-aged for whatever reason every few years. I want Peter Parker to get married, have kids, and be an adult (yeah I am one of those people). And yes, it would be great if Sam stayed on as Cap.

It just frustrates me whenever some characters get to move up or change, while others are left to stay the same. Like Agent Venom, I would never have thought that Flash would still be in the suit. Not to mention the amount he has accomplished whether it is serving on the Avengers, running with the Thunderbolts, or flying through space with the Guardians. But at the same time, the Future Foundation went back to being the Fantastic Four because... reasons. Or the fact that it seems Moon Knight is being reinvented for like the billionth time despite Ellis/Wood's run being fantastic and their established mythology being a great jumping off point for Lemire.

For now Marvel has me with Sam as Cap. I won't be picking up Steve's run and If Sam loses the mantle, I still wouldn't be picking up Steve's run to get my Cap fix. From a business perspective having these two at the same time is smart, this way they cater to two groups of readers. I am just afraid if both these books do well, we will have and Odinson (which I wouldn't be too against), Banner Hulk, and revived 616 Wolverine before you know it in their own titles. I think Spider-Man will not be the same case, but Miles' book hasn't come out yet so who knows.

I have to disagree. Captain America stands for all things America stands for, a patriotic symbol for people to unite under. One hero with a unique title equals unity, Two equal chaos and disharmony, Something Captain America dose not stand for. Cap represents the balance between Freedom and Security, its a struggle he has had to deal with since awakening in the modern times. Having 2 Captain Americas that represent 2 different ideals is not a smart message to send to the public. It is simply a recipe for disaster. One Cap is enough, If we end up with an army of Caps, than it takes away what makes him special and unique. There really is no other way to look at it.

#48 Edited by lb70145 (263 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainrex said:

I have to disagree. Captain America stands for all things America stands for, a patriotic symbol for people to unite under. One hero with a unique title equals unity, Two equal chaos and disharmony, Something Captain America dose not stand for. Cap represents the balance between Freedom and Security, its a struggle he has had to deal with since awakening in the modern times. Having 2 Captain Americas that represent 2 different ideals is not a smart message to send to the public. It is simply a recipe for disaster. One Cap is enough, If we end up with an army of Caps, than it takes away what makes him special and unique. There really is no other way to look at it.

Cap represents an idealistic America, an America that either never existed or once did (depending on your point of view). He could never stand for all things America because America is very different to different people. Especially today. That is why Steve tries to represent the people as best he can and when he can't, he either passes it on to someone else or just quits all together.

Like I have been saying, Sam represents regular Americans while Steve represents the American Government/System. He can't represent the people anymore, but at the same time he can add legitimacy to a Government/System that people do not trust. That is something that the American People need. They need to trust the system that serves them, they need to know it still serves them. That's why Steve is back in the role, he is a figure people can see and go "they can't be that bad if Steve is on board". As least, that's how I read into it. You can see it as divisive, I see it as two sides of the same coin.

And while you maintain Cap is a symbol for people to unite under, he has often been controversial and labeled a traitor by some. Whether it was against the Nazis or other heroes during Civil War, he has often divided people.

#49 Posted by CaptainRex (305 posts) - - Show Bio

@lb70145 said:
@captainrex said:

Cap represents an idealistic America, an America that either never existed or once did (depending on your point of view). He could never stand for all things America because America is very different to different people. Especially today. That is why Steve tries to represent the people as best he can and when he can't, he either passes it on to someone else or just quits all together.

Like I have been saying, Sam represents regular Americans while Steve represents the American Government/System. He can't represent the people anymore, but at the same time he can add legitimacy to a Government/System that people do not trust. That is something that the American People need. They need to trust the system that serves them, they need to know it still serves them. That's why Steve is back in the role, he is a figure people can see and go "they can't be that bad if Steve is on board". As least, that's how I read into it. You can see it as divisive, I see it as two sides of the same coin.

And while you maintain Cap is a symbol for people to unite under, he has often been controversial and labeled a traitor by some. Whether it was against the Nazis or other heroes during Civil War, he has often divided people.

I guess the reality is that there really is no right answer to this topic. People will always argue about what a hero truly stands for and in a way they are either both right or completely wrong. I firmly believe that there can only be one hero holding onto a Title at a time, while others will disagree with me. But I think we can all agree is that, you cannot beet the originals. But its interesting to see where their stories will take us.

And while some changes are interesting (Captain Falcon and X-23/Wolverine) Others will completely piss loyal fans off (Lady Thor and Gay Iceman). But all we can do is sit back and see where the story takes us and hope for the best.

#50 Posted by lb70145 (263 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess the reality is that there really is no right answer to this topic. People will always argue about what a hero truly stands for and in a way they are either both right or completely wrong. I firmly believe that there can only be one hero holding onto a Title at a time, while others will disagree with me. But I think we can all agree is that, you cannot beat the originals. But its interesting to see where their stories will take us.

And while some changes are interesting (Captain Falcon and X-23/Wolverine) Others will completely piss loyal fans off (Lady Thor and Gay Iceman). But all we can do is sit back and see where the story takes us and hope for the best.

There isn't one, but it certainly was really good to talk it out with someone! Totally respect your opinions despite our disagreements on some.

Both Thor and Iceman were definitely fumbled. The execution was just so odd and botched on many levels. I love Aaron's Thor, but the quality definitely dropped for me (still buy the book). I wish Aaron didn't feel the need to write so defensively and he just made the story as great as it was with Odinson at the helm. I don't mind a female Thor, I do mind when the story tries too hard to convince me that a female Thor is amazing. It is just so forced. Iceman too, I don't have a problem with Iceman being Gay. I have a problem with Jean outing him before he was ready and Young Iceman guilting Older Iceman (WITH JEAN THERE NO LESS!!!) into embracing who he is. Not to mention the possible bi erasure.