New SPIDEY Series Tells In Continuity Stories During Peter Parker's Teenage Years

• 59 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

We've seen this sort of thing before. UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN was a fantastic series that truly captured the essence of the classic AMAZING SPIDER-MAN stories. This will likely have a more modern feel to it.

No Caption Provided

Today, he’s the world’s greatest super hero. But long before he swung from rooftops as the Amazing Spider-Man, he was just a spider-powered teenager who knew that “with great power must also come great responsibility.” Today, Marvel is pleased to announce SPIDEY #1 – a brand-new ongoing series launching as part of All-New, All-Different Marvel! Follow the adventures of teenaged Peter Parker in a new series set within continuity from rising star writer Robbie Thompson (TV’s Supernatural, Silk) and blockbuster Marvel Young Gun artist Nick Bradshaw (Wolverine and the X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy)!

“Everyone remembers their FIRST Spider-Man comic,” says Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso. “SPIDEY aims to be perfect as someone’s first Spider-Man comic, or their one thousandth. We’re not looking to re-tell stories here. What Robbie [Thompson] and Nick [Bradshaw] have put together is an exciting new take on Spider-Man at his arguably most iconic incarnation, and will feel fresh to new and old fans alike.”

Class is in session as two of the hottest creators in comics take Peter back to school for a classic and iconic take on the Spider-Man mythology. Familiar faces and new characters populate Peter Parker’s world as he balances his double life as a high school student and the high-flying, web-swinging new hero Spider-Man!

“Out of the 700+ issues of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN” shares Spider-Man Editor Nick Lowe, “Peter Parker was only in high school for thirty issues! Stan and Steve covered a lot, but there’s a lot of the high school and early super hero experience still on the table.”

Iconic villains, a classic supporting cast, the ol’ Parker Luck and more are back! Don’t miss one moment of these bombastic new adventures as Thompson and Bradshaw create a legend of their own when SPIDEY #1 comes to comic shops later this year!

SPIDEY #1

Written by ROBBIE THOMPSON

Art & Cover by NICK BRADSHAW

On Sale This Fall!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Robbie has been fantastic on Silk, so I'll give it a shot.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

They've done this a lot...which is fine I guess, but it seems milking at this point.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

@w0nd said:

They've done this a lot...which is fine I guess, but it seems milking at this point.

Yeah "Look, we re-started Spiderman...please read it...please!?" I think it's a little annoying, especially to the people who've followed Peter for so long. The re-booting of popular series like this is kind of why I hopped off Marvel and DC and started reading lots of Image stuff, far less restarts on their universes.

Invincible is still going strong.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@docholiday: Yeah invincible is going strong, they just take forever to release. Same with tech jacket haha.

Invincible adds just the right amount of drama and shock value, without going overboard and writing themselves into a wall.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I like it! I would have preferred something on par with the Ultimate Spider-Man. With more character driver stories... but this is good too. I guess

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

Cool but I can't help but shake the feeling this has something to do with the upcoming film.

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

Good grief. How many Spider-person books do we need? Over saturation much?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@w0nd said:

Yeah "Look, we re-started Spiderman...please read it...please!?" I think it's a little annoying, especially to the people who've followed Peter for so long. The re-booting of popular series like this is kind of why I hopped off Marvel and DC and started reading lots of Image stuff, far less restarts on their universes.

INVINCIBLE: REBOOT

THE WALKING DEAD editor and Skybound Entertainment’s Editorial Director Sean Mackiewicz announced the forthcoming reboot of Kirkman’s long-running superhero series, INVINCIBLE.

In this new direction for INVINCIBLE, Mark suddenly finds himself without powers. Back home... but aware of everything he’s lived through. What does he change, who can he save... and how will he deal with his father now that he knows what’s coming?

The INVINCIBLE reboot will begin with issue #124 and is set to launch on October 21 and will retain the same creative team with THE WALKING DEAD writer Robert Kirkman and art by Ryan Ottley, Cliff Rathburn, and Jean-Francois Beaulieu.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DrellAssassin
Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@docholiday said:
@w0nd said:

THE WALKING DEAD editor and Skybound Entertainment’s Editorial Director Sean Mackiewicz announced the forthcoming reboot of Kirkman’s long-running superhero series, INVINCIBLE.

In this new direction for INVINCIBLE, Mark suddenly finds himself without powers. Back home... but aware of everything he’s lived through. What does he change, who can he save... and how will he deal with his father now that he knows what’s coming?

The INVINCIBLE reboot will begin with issue #124 and is set to launch on October 21 and will retain the same creative team with THE WALKING DEAD writer Robert Kirkman and art by Ryan Ottley, Cliff Rathburn, and Jean-Francois Beaulieu.

Ooh, that actually sounds clever

IAmNotGroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not that I think Slott is a bad writer, but I am kind of tired of his writing and I want some new Spider-Man stuff without him (And I don't want to read those awful .1 issues). So I will probably pick this up.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and people were saying there's too many Bat-titles

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

-_- not original but what do you expect from multi-corporation

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll give it a try I'm sure, but I'm skeptical about it sticking on my pull list.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I'll definitely give this a shot. I think it'll be good to get some fresh blood on Spider-Man. Slott's been writing him for so long.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By w0nd

@docholiday said:
@danhimself said:
@docholiday said:
@w0nd said:

PFFFFT DA FUQ.

watch it be like NEXT, he just gives up from the start and lets his dad do his thing..ends in issue 1.

It actually could be a story arc. I know they poke fun at cliche stories and comic book readers at times

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:
@docholiday said:
@danhimself said:
@docholiday said:
@w0nd said:

PFFFFT DA FUQ.

watch it be like NEXT, he just gives up from the start and lets his dad do his thing..ends in issue 1.

It actually could be a story arc. I know they poke fun at cliche stories and comic book readers at times

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

They've done a good job up until now, more than likely they'll show him struggling with decisions on what to do, how to handle things; Robot, Atom Eve, When he was assaulted, Thragg and lots of others.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By w0nd

@docholiday: I feel bad for hijacking this thread, so this is my last invincible post haha. I feel that when they do reboot things after getting the story developing and going, then you are just left that with that "cliff hanger" feeling. Especially the assault that happened and the result of it, could have lead to some major stories.

Marvel had some stories going on that will now go unresolved because of their reboot

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@w0nd said:

They aren't rebooting, the normal Spider-Man book is still ongoing. This way we get both the young inexperienced Average Joe underdog Peter Parker as well as the grown up successful Peter Parker.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Never really liked Peter as a teen except for the old Ultimate Peter books, so I'll give this one a miss and stick to the current ASM series, I still think this is a good move though as many do enjoy teen Peter

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm good with this. I don't really like Peter Starker.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a refreshing take on the character.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26 the_stegman  Moderator

I don't mind this. If people wanna read adult Peter, they have Amazing Spider-Man. If they like teen Peter, they have this. It's a win/win really.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@docholiday said:
@w0nd said:

They aren't rebooting, the normal Spider-Man book is still ongoing. This way we get both the young inexperienced Average Joe underdog Peter Parker as well as the grown up successful Peter Parker.

If it takes off where it took place last then okay, but it seems like after this whole doom-god business, the merging of two universes will leave things slightly changed. Oh well we will see I guess

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Why would I be sarcastic? Very few stories have centered around Peter Parker in his youth, it's practically an unexplored part of the character...

renchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 151

User Lists: 7

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dernman

@silverpool: *shrugs* based on some of the other negative comments made by others.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SilverPool
z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm confused so is this not 616-Spidey then ?

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great, I´ve always preferred teenage Peter, I find him more interesting, although I still enjoy adul Peter a lot as well.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:
@docholiday said:
@danhimself said:
@docholiday said:
@w0nd said:

PFFFFT DA FUQ.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Where´s the second scan from ??

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds like a really good idea, even though it's been done to death. I'm 100% positive that Marvel continues to do the whole, "Peter Parker as a teenager" thing, in order to remind fans of the comics where he came from. He was one of the first ever teenager superheroes, and I personally think that's worth remembering.

Definitely picking the first issue up, and that'll determine whether or not I stick around for the rest.

Kind of wish that DC did this with Static Shock, but that's neither here nor there.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Doc-Holiday

@w0nd said:
@docholiday said:
@danhimself said:
@docholiday said:
@w0nd said:

PFFFFT DA FUQ.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Where´s the second scan from ??

How should I know? I didn't scan them

BlueJay2324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

I'm confused so is this not 616-Spidey then ?

This is the main continuity Peter Parker. This series will take place in the new continuity after Secret Wars, but will be when Peter Parker started out instead of present day. If you've seen the Comic Vine post about the books coming post-Secret Wars there is an Amazing Spider-Man book coming, this won't take place at the same time, but rather will be a series completely in the past. Same Peter, different part of his timeline. Hope that helps.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluejay2324: a little but still pretty confusing because well I'm not sure if this is a reboot or not for the mcu

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this. An all ages Spidey book that isn't just a copy and paste from the current cartoon. I'll be reading this and then be able to give it to my son. Bravo Marvel, I hope it's successful. I wish DC would do this with Batman, that isn't Batman '66.

BlueJay2324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@51stpresidentofplanetneutral said:

This sounds like a really good idea, even though it's been done to death. I'm 100% positive that Marvel continues to do the whole, "Peter Parker as a teenager" thing, in order to remind fans of the comics where he came from. He was one of the first ever teenager superheroes, and I personally think that's worth remembering.

Definitely picking the first issue up, and that'll determine whether or not I stick around for the rest.

Kind of wish that DC did this with Static Shock, but that's neither here nor there.

I don't completely agree. I think Marvel has done a lot of work trying to freeze Peter in that 18-30 year old range. They do things like let him get married then decide that that's not what they like and that people won't like it and use magic to erase his marriage. They want him to be older than a teenager but still not a fully formed adult, which pisses me off to know end. I personally think that given the right creative team we could see a more mature Parker that fans could love but Marvel believes that this immature Peter is what everyone enjoys and what sells. Reminding fans that he was the premiere teenager is something they do only to the extent of "oh, he was that teenager, but now he grew up a little... but not too much though!" But maybe I view the character a bit differently than other people do.

Anyways, despite what I've said here, I think that Slott is aging Peter in a way I'm not too fond of. His current company was something I was kind of interested in when Otto was in control of his body but Peter barely had a clue what he was doing and I would have rather he did something like lead an Avengers team or usher in a new group of heroes. His team up with Ms. Marvel was really fun.

And on the point of Static, I'm like 50% certain that he's coming back in some capacity. So you might enjoy knowing that.

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So he's a teen again!? This why I don't read marvel comics.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Untold Tales of Spidey so Im excited for this. lol at the people that dont realize this is a flashback title, and Spidey is still the same everywhere else.

KomicKev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with what some have said: If you don't like "teen" Parker, but do like Spider-Man and "adult" Parker, read ASM and pass by on this Spidey book. This is an effort by Marvel to pull in some new, younger readers and there's nothing wrong with that! If you are an old-timer, but still want to pick this new title up, feel free. I like what Marvel does with their diversity of titles.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamnotgroot: Those .1 issues are better than anything Slott has put out in years.

IAmNotGroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vegandiet: i bought one and I couldn't grt through it. It was too boring

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@51stpresidentofplanetneutral said:

I don't completely agree. I think Marvel has done a lot of work trying to freeze Peter in that 18-30 year old range. They do things like let him get married then decide that that's not what they like and that people won't like it and use magic to erase his marriage. They want him to be older than a teenager but still not a fully formed adult, which pisses me off to know end. I personally think that given the right creative team we could see a more mature Parker that fans could love but Marvel believes that this immature Peter is what everyone enjoys and what sells. Reminding fans that he was the premiere teenager is something they do only to the extent of "oh, he was that teenager, but now he grew up a little... but not too much though!" But maybe I view the character a bit differently than other people do.

Anyways, despite what I've said here, I think that Slott is aging Peter in a way I'm not too fond of. His current company was something I was kind of interested in when Otto was in control of his body but Peter barely had a clue what he was doing and I would have rather he did something like lead an Avengers team or usher in a new group of heroes. His team up with Ms. Marvel was really fun.

And on the point of Static, I'm like 50% certain that he's coming back in some capacity. So you might enjoy knowing that.

I'm just now seeing that link, and now I'm excited. Also, I can see how you get that feeling from this, but I just see things a little differently because I subscribe to the belief that Peter is meant to mature into the kind of adult who balances experience and maturity with that childlike innocent naivete he's been able to keep for so long. Weathered and experienced- a veteran in every sense of the word- but at the same time, never takes himself or others too seriously, which is what continues to keep him from basically becoming Steve Rogers.

Besides that, they retconned his marriage because the writers felt that they wrote him into a box. Personally, I think that they just couldn't come up with good ideas focusing on "mature, big kid, fun dad, centered, great husband" Peter, and "tragic romantic, up-and-down winner/loser, perpetually single". I do agree that entrepreneurship doesn't exactly seem like the right path for him. Specializing in a scientific field, yes. I also wouldn't mind seeing more team-ups with younger characters, but I feel like Spider-Man mentoring a much more conflicted youth superhero would be more effective, like Genesis. Kamala's a good choice too, though.

I can't even focus on this anymore, I'm too pumped for Earth-M.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#49  Edited By Teerack

This book only exist because the cinematic universe features a teenage Peter. Some how marvel has manged to convince the world Spider-Man is all about "the teenage super hero" when Peter was out of high school by issue 30. :|

I do look forward to seeing what this writer can do.

TheArmandoShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By TheArmandoShow

I like good comics. And I usually decide if a comic is good after I read it.