LOBO #2 Cover and Solicit Reveal

• 111 results
laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@amazingwebhead: because most of use arent old enough to remember the original lobo, i say we give this series a chance it looks good

VenomousTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why can't Cullen write about biker Lobo? Why does Lobo gotta be from Twilight? Why does this new "Lobo" gotta be TRASHED by Supergirl? SUPERGIRL?!!?!

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

OKAY, I AM CALLING EVERY DIFFERENT KIND OF BULL$#!T ON THAT COVER!!!!!

@madeinbangladesh said:

Oh god this looks bad. I want the old REAL LOBO BACK!!!!!!! Who the hell is this skinny pretty boy imposter!?!?

No Caption Provided

Hells yeah!

@spidey_jackson said:

I love how people say they want the "real" Lobo, when in reality the original is much closer to the New 52 version.

Beata

Yeah, and original Batman's main weapon was a gun. There's a reason the badass biker Lobo is the one we remember.

Exactly - well said, @amazingwebhead. I hate to be so gruff, but if you're under the age of 25 and voicing your opinion in favor of this new aesthetic - I don't think there's any discussion where we'll be able to see eye to eye.

Point blank - the mantra and ethos of the Lobo that came from Alan Grant & Simon Bisley wasn't what we're seeing here. It isn't even what Keith Giffen had in mind. Arguing with me (as @thor_ul has with the general audience) that the original motif we saw in The Omega Men #3 - Assault on Euphorix! is the basis for accepting the new design is just as fallible because it only addresses what the wardrobe looks like and not the heart of the character.

Lobo isn't Wolverine or Cable. Nor is he what is being presented here - like some half-veiled Josey Wales sans the spurs & serape who happens to drink...wine? He's an unabashed womanizer, bar-brawler and intergalactic Harley owner with a serious drinking problem/solution.

If you've never read any of the ongoing or several mini-series (and especially the cameos in other ongoing titles) works that the last Cznarian participated in - saying that we should give this new direction a chance is a dis-service to what has been set down for 24 years. And truly, you've missed out on some great stories that are worth picking up.

Lastly, @br_havoc - I hope for damn sure you're right because I would love to give DC more of my money. Just not on this poor satire. @arcadiaexeter - your thoughts are very welcome on what's been discussed here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it bad that I completely forgot this series was even a thing.

ArcadiaExeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grey56: thanks for bringing this thread to my attention.

I dont know if anyone has mentioned it because i really only skimmed this thread but Lobo has had his head (and everything else) cut, blown, smashed, chopped and still kept going. This cover could very well be followed by a cover where the original Lobo is winning the fight.

Also, comics (and DC is particular) are really good at making covers that have nothing to do with what happens inside the book. I'm not going to give up hope because of a cover.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arcadiaexeter: Absolutely, glad you to have you chime in - and I couldn't agree more about your point to DC's cover usage. I can certainly hope that this proves true because you're also correct that Lobo has survived all manner of incapacitation - and finds a way in the end.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

And still I remember that there was a reason Giffen was allowed to change the original Lobo into the biker we've come know: no one cared about the original Lobo.

Sigh...

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks bad.

Time to pull out the Paramilitary Christmas Special, or maybe the Convention Special...or maybe Lobo's Back, or maybe one of this arcs from Lobo's long running ongoing....

lol, Lobo fan's, this does look bad but rejoice that our "classic" (if not original) Lobo has so many great miniseries and even had a successful ongoing. There are many great stories to go back to.

Thor_Ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 44

#60  Edited By Thor_Ul
@venomoustaco said:

Why can't Cullen write about biker Lobo? Why does Lobo gotta be from Twilight? Why does this new "Lobo" gotta be TRASHED by Supergirl? SUPERGIRL?!!?!

Such a misogynist rant, my friend. Relax, superheroines can smash any supervillian they want in her books.

@grey56:

I was just pointed that the original Lobo isn't the biker version. The original version of a character isn't synonymous of the most popular or "the one I remember and I like it more".

The most famous iteration of the character than most fans remember is the Bisley designed Harley Davis biker Lobo, the third one ( I like him more with the Alice Cooper make up from Maguire design, but that my taste). But that image made of Lobo a stereotype from a style than don't appeal enough readers. (Ok, I'm not sociologist, but even now I could dare to said than the image most youngers have in their minds of the Harley Riders is more close to Lobo 1000000 than the hyper macho from Bisley Lobo mini-series) He reach the heyday in the 90's and suddendly he fad into darkness. Personally I suppose he went to much into the parody and loose his charm. He had become a caricature of himself. How many times was tried to be relunched after his series finished? His last try, Lobo Unbound was no so spectacular. So as everything must change and as his Liefeldled reinvention didn't work either. You can't blame the editorial to try to go into a reinvention of the character to see what work and what not. But as always you can vote with your wallet. I mean, DC went back with Powergirl boob-window.

VenomousTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_ul: My bad. That's not what I meant.

It's the fact that he's been vastly depowered. Supergirl is well below Superman in terms of power and experience, and she then proceeds to one-shot this so-called Lobo. The real Main Man could overpower Superman. This is an insult to his legacy.

If he lost in a decent fight against Wonder Woman, I'd have no problem (as she's on par with Superman).

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'll try the first couple of issues and see what it's like ...

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"You can't blame the editorial to try to go into a reinvention of the character to see what work and what not. But as always you can vote with your wallet. I mean, DC went back with Powergirl boob-window."

Exactly. We certainly see eye to eye on these two things - I just don't want to undermine the character that truly set himself apart from the rest of the DCU. That incarnation is the one I'm lobbying for. But yes, it is a business - you are right.

Avatar image for mightyrearranger
mightyrearranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

People saying old Lobo was a poster boy for the 90s must be looking at the awful redesigns for Captain Cold and Bronze Tiger instead. Either that or they grew up in a different 90s than I did... #justsayin #sorrynotsorry #TonyHawksayshiLenSnart

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

I will give this a shot.

Dogofwarorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_ul: I meant the main version of him, the one designed by Simon Bisley and Keith Giffen...

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By M3th

So tHe new true Lobo finally kills tHe classic pHoney Lobo. Honestly, it makes sense for "our" Lobo to Have stolen tHe name.

-ABstract4$$#073-

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome

laidblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd prefer the cover the other way around,

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

when did they announce a lobo title?

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By bloggerboy

The New 52 is a joke.

DC still thinks it's the 90's so of course they can't have their 90's parody character back to reveal just how silly their whole universe is nowadays.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is interesting. I'm not a Lobo fan, but I like the possibilities of this. Personally one way I see this is that the "Old Lobo" stole the name and posed as this character, and the "Real Lobo" found out and wants identity back. I see this is as basically being a fight for the title/name/mantle. It's perfectly in character for Old Lobo to have stolen the name. I can even see the Real Lobo being defeated or killed, and thus the Old Lobo becomes the one and only Lobo. Let them milk this for a bit, it could be interesting to find out how they know each other. See how it plays out before you get angry.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what, I think I'll give this a try. Even if I'm not fond of the character, Bunn hits home runs with every villain he writes.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god this looks bad. I want the old REAL LOBO BACK!!!!!!! Who the hell is this skinny pretty boy imposter!?!?

No Caption Provided

dont worry it will all turn around and the new lobo will turn out being the imposter ...this is DC.s way of getting people interested in lobo again

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I love Lobo and while I am a huge fan of the Lobo of old, and not a big fan of the redesign I think this could still be a great story. This new Lobo has proved to be as much of a fighter and violent man, I just hope we get to see him with his old habits in this new title, and I miss the lingo fraggin basticthes, but I will give this title a shot and hopefully we get a great Lobo story.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Switch them and I'll buy it...

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscars94 said:

Switch them and I'll buy it...

Then I won't LOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscars94 said:
Loading Video...

@micah:

Let's settle on a compromise, let's have them both in a epic struggle on the cover. By the way loved hearing RVD's theme again( "One of Kind")

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah I will accept these terms.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@venomoustaco: I seem to recall he was playing possum that time to get what he wanted. Plus, Kara's just as strong as her cousin, only she's not as used to pulling her punches.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna try this out. I just really hope they keep the spirit of Lobo, and that they don't try to legitimize the character. He's a satire, let him be a satire.

VenomousTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead: He regenerated back, but he was dead after she punched him. And don't Kryptonians gain more strength and power as the get older and absorb more of the sun's rays? I'm fairly certain Superman is way more powerful than Kara.

Either way, this new "Lobo" is weak compared to his pre-flashpoint counterpart.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead: He regenerated back, but he was dead after she punched him. And don't Kryptonians gain more strength and power as the get older and absorb more of the sun's rays? I'm fairly certain Superman is way more powerful than Kara.

I was always told Supergirl was stronger than Sups because he is constantly holding back, and limiting his power. Meanwhile young adult Kara attacks with all her might LOL.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VenomousTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By VenomousTaco

@micah: Yep, but not holding back can only get you so far. If someone is naturally stronger than you, they'll still hold an advantage on you, even if they hold back. Plus, Superman actually doesn't hold back (or at least not as much) against characters like Black Adam, Lobo, Doomsday, etc. because he knows they can take it.

Before the New 52, Superman couldn't even dream of one-shotting Lobo. Seriously, what is this new sh*t?!

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: Yep, but not holding back can only get you so far. If someone is naturally stronger than you, they'll still hold an advantage on you, even if they hold back. Plus, Superman actually doesn't hold back (or at least not as much) against characters like Black Adam, Lobo, Doomsday, etc. because he knows they can take it.

Before the New 52, Superman couldn't even dream of one-shotting Lobo. Seriously, what is this new sh*t?!

Well both New-52 Lobos seem weaker than Pre-52. Real Lobo seems to be able to overwhelm Hawkman and fight on par with Supergirl, Savage Lobo was one-shotted by full power Apollo. Who at full power is either on par with Superman or above him.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: that lobo you love is the actual imposter.

Then I'm in love with a 24 year span of this ret-con impostor - and very much want him back.

VenomousTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: Yeah, they're both weak. Pre-Flashpoint Lobo easily manhandled Apollo. I really wish this would all end up with these two "Lobos" duking it out until the REAL Lobo (pre-flashpoint) shows up, finishing them both off and retaking his name in the process.

Oh well, we can't all have what we want.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By micah007123

@venomoustaco said:

@micah: Yeah, they're both weak. Pre-Flashpoint Lobo easily manhandled Apollo. I really wish this would all end up with these two "Lobos" duking it out until the REAL Lobo (pre-flashpoint) shows up, finishing them both off and retaking his name in the process.

Oh well, we can't all have what we want.

Do you know what comic Lobo fought Apollo in Pre-Flashpoint? I just got into The Authority and I would love to know when that encounter happened.

VenomousTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: It was during the Lobo/Authority crossover. Jenny read about Lobo killing Santa, and she brought him to their dimension. Lobo then proceeds to pretty much solo the whole team. I'm not entirely sure if it's cannon or not. It's referenced later in the Windstorm universe, but some people on comic vine don't agree with it.

It's still a cool comic, you should check it out.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By micah007123

@venomoustaco said:

@micah: It was during the Lobo/Authority crossover. Jenny read about Lobo killing Santa, and she brought him to their dimension. Lobo then proceeds to pretty much solo the whole team. I'm not entirely sure if it's cannon or not. It's referenced later in the Windstorm universe, but some people on comic vine don't agree with it.

It's still a cool comic, you should check it out.

I'll have to check that out, it's weird because Apollo is supposed to be a Superman level threat, but it sounds hilarious. Thanks dude :)

VenomousTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: No problem. :-)

Lobo was a really outrageous character in the good old days.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@grey56 said:

@starbrand1 said:

@madeinbangladesh: that lobo you love is the actual imposter.

Then I'm in love with a 24 year span of this ret-con impostor - and very much want him back.

YES!

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@micah said:

@venomoustaco said:

I was always told Supergirl was stronger than Sups because he is constantly holding back, and limiting his power. Meanwhile young adult Kara attacks with all her might LOL.

Well, obviously Superman is more powerful. The dude took a punch from Hulk without flinching! He just holds back a lot more, and given how hard he hits on a regular day...

Also, haven't Kryptonian powers always been instant? Hell, Pre-Flashpoint Kara landed on Earth at night and she still had powers.

call_me_dusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cant Wait!

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CGC posted this cover on their Facebook page yesterday - was surprised to see the thread light up as it did.

loonyjams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If DC kills off the Main Man that would kill off a huge % of my respect for the new 52. I know that the Main Man wasn't really like the original Lobo but just like nobody cares about the original Deadpool that was a boring 90s assassin nobody cares about the "original" Lobo