IDW & 2000 AD Set the Stage for JUDGE DREDD: YEAR ONE

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

These days, most people should know who Judge Dredd is. With the recent Dredd 3D and that previous attempt at bringing the characters to the big screen, people have an idea what he's all about. Even though Judge Dredd made his first appearance back in 1977 and has appeared in countless stories through 2000 AD, if you were to ask people what his origin was, they probably couldn't answer.

To solve this problem, IDW Publishing and 2000 AD are joining forces to bring that story.

No Caption Provided

In March 2013, Eagle Award-winning 2000 AD Editor-in-Chief Matt Smith and Dredd veterans Simon Coleby and Greg Staples prepare to deliver the story of a younger Judge Dredd. How will the young and eager Dredd differ from the one we know today?

Smith has previously touched on the early days in Judge Dredd: Year One - City Fathers, an e-novella published earlier this year. It was immediately decided that this makes a perfect period to explore further in the comics.

Matt Smith said the following:

Dredd's a notoriously difficult character to get the voice right—and it becomes even more of a challenge when you're writing him as an eighteen year old, fresh out of the Academy. But it's been great fun charting his early cases, feeding into the stories the elements that will go on to make him Mega-City's most feared lawman. And it's terrific to have Simon Coleby on board, a superb artist and well experienced in portraying the madness of the future metropolis.
== TEASER ==
No Caption Provided

IDW and 2000 AD are prepared to deliver Dredd stories the likes of which we've never seen. The bigger question is, did Dredd always have his signature grimace?

Variant covers will be provided by Dave Sim and Dredd co-creator Carlos Ezquerra. Issue one is on sale March 27, 2013. It will be 32-pages with a $3.99 price tag.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

It's a shame that Dredd and 2000AD only get coverage after the paired up with IDW

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Superguy0009e

I wouldn't say that, there was some good coverage before, not great, but good enough.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By nerdork

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

It's a shame that Dredd and 2000AD only get coverage after the paired up with IDW

I agree, there are so many spin-off stories and book series; its sad to think that they will, more than likely, go unnoticed. A big one being "A.B.C. warriors", "Rogue Trooper", or "Low Life: Mega City Undercover". Not to mention, that 2000AD is so much more than a Mega City 1 chronicle.

But, I am very excited about this new series. I can't wait to pick it up. I wonder if they will keep him a clone?!?!?!?!?!?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By NightFang3

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Hopefully things are looking up.

blindisaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By blindisaac

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

2000AD is quite expensive it the states and it also comes irregularly over here which is why it receives little to no coverage on American comic sites.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Mucklefluga

@nerdork said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I agree, there are so many spin-off stories and book series; its sad to think that they will, more than likely, go unnoticed. A big one being "A.B.C. warriors", "Rogue Trooper", or "Low Life: Mega City Undercover". Not to mention, that 2000AD is so much more than a Mega City 1 chronicle.

But, I am very excited about this new series. I can't wait to pick it up. I wonder if they will keep him a clone?!?!?!?!?!?

He's a clone?!?!?!

bob808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By bob808

I always saw Judge Dredd as some kind of a fascist.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@blindisaac said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

2000AD is quite expensive it the states and it also comes irregularly over here which is why it receives little to no coverage on American comic sites.

You can get it every week (as well as Dredds proper monthly book) without fail digitally

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nerdork

@Mucklefluga said:

@nerdork said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

He's a clone?!?!?!

oops, sorry. Yeah. They didn't get his background wrong in the original Judge Dredd movie, got everything else wrong...to say the least. He is a clone of the greatest judge in MC1 history...Chief Judge Fargo.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By damswedon

@bob808 said:

I always saw Judge Dredd as some kind of a fascist.

Fun fact Dredd is a fascist. It is kinda the whole point. Knowing that is the first thing you do need to know to start understanding a good Judge Dredd story.

The most interesting thing about potentially reading about early Dredd is that, a Dredd fresh from the Academy of Justice sees morality in full on Black and White. I'm not saying today's old man Dredd sees morality in many shades of gray, more like he sees Black, Grey, and White.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By damswedon

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Bleeding Cool and CBR have been doing a fair bit of 2000AD coverage this year. I think there have been a good dozen-ish interviews. There was one with John Wagner where he was asked why he brought back the Dark Judges and in true John Wagner fashion he said, I'm messing up Mega City One anyway I may as well throw them in as well.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Cavemold

sweet ride

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sammo21

Pretty excited about this.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Oh man that looks great! So getting when its out...I need to backtrack and get Judge Dredd #1.