First Look: WONDER WOMAN #36

• 87 results
UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well from these pages alone the art looks better than foreevr evil so that's kind of a positive but people's worst fears came through with that first page....Hope that's just a one off instance just to establish she talks to other heroes.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am ready for a new Wonder Woman book as good in this run has been I kind of feel like Tony and they need to bring her back to modern times again. I look forward to the future for this series.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Looks good. So sorry to see Azzarello go though.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@movieartman: And you didn't even link the Sandman Overture art - easily the most beautiful comic being put out this year.

Easily.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll stick around for a couple of issues to see if its good.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leave1942 said:

@movieartman: I certainly respect a difference of opinion, what with art being subjective and all. While I consider JH Williams a talented artist, I do not think the majority of his art is pushing the limits of typical house style as much as someone like Cliff Chiang. As a graphic designer, I think minimalism is the key to good art, and the less lines and bolder choices you can make to get your point across the better. This, as well as the wonderfully vivid color job, character designs, and innovative visual elements is why I think Cliff Chiang is a phenomenal talent. To me, Finch's art, while also incredibly competent, is another progression of mainstream comic book style. Which isn't bad, of course! Wonder Woman isn't the only DC title I buy, not buy a long shot. However, any time something innovative and different is replaced with more of the same, I find it a little disheartening.

And I'm sorry, but that pose and distant, soft, vaguely pouty look on her face does not look like someone in the heat of battle.

how in the bloody hell does this not push the limits of mainstream comic art, other than marco rudy, i know of NO current artist that is doing anything on this level of detail and rendered in combination with such brillaint panel work

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

there is nothing innovative about chiangs art, his panel work and covers are standard and plain, his characters are yes, minimalistic but go back before the 80s and all comic art was like that cus artist didn't have the time or the capablity to add texture and depth to there work. THATS A FLAW!

You're just like my father; no appreciation or understanding of stylized art, if it's not super detailed and realistic it's rubbish that takes no skill and is ugly. I feel sorry for you.

Yes, that Batwoman art is beautiful but so is Chiang's.

LenSnart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@movieartman: woah man, settle down no need to get all riled up

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Well Finch's artwork looks better than it did during Forever Evil but even these preview pages seem generic and unoriginal by first impression standards. Mrs Finch seems intent on shoehorning in the mainstream DCU to fulfil the exec's wishes of having Wonder Woman catch up on mainstream DC when Azzarello has taken 3 years out from WW interacting with the DCU. Evidently, one cannot form any concrete thoughts yet but this seems unappealing in all honesty. Swamp Thing being the punching bag of the DCU is getting old so I don't see the point of Wonder Woman fighting him as well.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

Not liking the art at all on this book. Really bothers me this looks more like a Justice League book than a Wonder Woman book. Might have to drop Wonder Woman.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ArchiZoom

The biggest problem I have with this is that that's not Wonder Woman. This looks more like a cosplayer at comic con. The Wonder Woman I know and love is fiery and built like an Amazon, this girl is empty and built like a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Lord, that art is outstanding

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest problem I have with this is that that's not Wonder Woman. This looks more like a cosplayer at comic con. The Wonder Woman I know and love is fiery and built like Amazon, this girl is empty and built like a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model.

I agree. You will never see a skinny Superman.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@leave1942: I respectfully disagree. Cliff Chang art is garbage compared to finch's. Now Cliff aint the worst but Finch is superior here. For me personally, i wanted to get into wonder woman since the new 52 launched but cliff kept me away. Ill give it a chance now.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@leave1942 said:

@movieartman: I certainly respect a difference of opinion, what with art being subjective and all. While I consider JH Williams a talented artist, I do not think the majority of his art is pushing the limits of typical house style as much as someone like Cliff Chiang. As a graphic designer, I think minimalism is the key to good art, and the less lines and bolder choices you can make to get your point across the better. This, as well as the wonderfully vivid color job, character designs, and innovative visual elements is why I think Cliff Chiang is a phenomenal talent. To me, Finch's art, while also incredibly competent, is another progression of mainstream comic book style. Which isn't bad, of course! Wonder Woman isn't the only DC title I buy, not buy a long shot. However, any time something innovative and different is replaced with more of the same, I find it a little disheartening.

And I'm sorry, but that pose and distant, soft, vaguely pouty look on her face does not look like someone in the heat of battle.

how in the bloody hell does this not push the limits of mainstream comic art, other than marcorudy, i know of NO current artist that is doing anything on this level of detail and rendered in combination with such brillaint panel work

there is nothing innovative about chiangs art, his panel work and covers are standard and plain, his characters are yes, minimalistic but go back before the 80s and all comic art was like that cus artist didn't have the time or the capablity to add texture and depth to there work. THATS A FLAW!

It's not a flaw, it's a style.

Finch's is a style as well, one shared with Reis and Lee, who are about as mainstream as it is possible to get. While it's not bad, it's not innovative on any level today, it's exactly what you expect to see when you open a comic book.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By sasquatch888

@redwingx said:

@archizoom said:

The biggest problem I have with this is that that's not Wonder Woman. This looks more like a cosplayer at comic con. The Wonder Woman I know and love is fiery and built like Amazon, this girl is empty and built like a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model.

wow looks like wonder woman to me ....i respectfully disagree and i think that this looks awesome ...i wish the 1st 33 issues were drawn like this....im skeptical about finch's wife writing but maybe it'll be great ...those pages look exiting and action packed !

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the most recent run and am looking forward to Finch's new run.

I like the fact that they look like really different takes. I wouldn't want to see a bad imitation of the previous run when a new creative team starts on a book.

Can't wait to pick this up. Finch killed it on Forever Evil (even though it was delayed bla bla bla).

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haters gonna hate.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

@archizoom said:

wow looks like wonder woman to me ....i respectfully disagree and i think that this looks awesome ...i wish the 1st 33 issues were drawn like this....im skeptical about finch's wife writing but maybe it'll be great ...those pages look exiting and action packed !

right, because she's wearing Wonder Woman's costume she must be Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman is an Amazon though, she's strong and physically imposing. This girl is pretty but belongs on the cover of GQ magazine. What if Finch drew Superman as an elegant handsome man with 5 times less body volume, wouldn't that put you off?

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most surprising thing is that she has flat heels, which is in contrast to how Finch has drawn her since the DCnU started. I like.

And his art is sexy regardless.

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: I thought writers always wanted Wonder Woman to be a sex symbol

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zhurong: so you saying strong athletic women are ugly? That's quite an insult to the female species.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I still don't know about this new direction. I had no interest in Wonder Woman prior to the New 52. Azzarello's take on the character made me love her but if she is just going back to being bland super hero again then I doubt I'll be interested. Plus, I am not a fan of David Finch.

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: Not at all. Im just as much of a WW fan as you but people have complained that she look like a patriotic stripper in the past. I actually hope she is written/drawn to be a athletic warrior.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sasquatch888 said:

@redwingx said:

@archizoom said:

right, because she's wearing Wonder Woman's costume she must be Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman is an Amazon though, she's strong and physically imposing. This girl is pretty but belongs on the cover of GQ magazine. What if Finch drew Superman as an elegant handsome man with 5 times less body volume, wouldn't that put you off?

idk ...do more guys women or men read ww ?...almost every guy hero in comics looks like a bodybuilder that works out 10 hours a day and nobody complains but if ww is too sexy its offensive ? i think shes physically imposing because she kicks ass and can throw trucks and cars around like cardboard boxes . but i would personally think its better for everyone if ww is the sexiest woman in DC comics ...does that make me a bad person ? why cant she be tough and supermodel sexy? youre right though if finch drew a skinny superman that would suck. you have a point. but life isnt fair like that ...anyway i think most dudes on here like a sexy ww not a deisel ww just my opinion

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Not sure if I can handle a Finch WW for to long, it is nice as a change of pace, one of my favorite artist working today, but his females tend to fall on the 'eye candy' end of the spectrum and if this was Supergirl or Mary Marvel, I would have no problem. But females with some thickness to their form like a Wonder Woman, She Hulk, or Power Girl, his style does not always come across the best.

But that Swamp Thing looks amazing I can't wait to see that inked and colored

Patera_All

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The artwork looks great, and hopefully the plots are executed as well as the current run. But am I the only one who thinks Swamp Thing could slide right into WW's current world, pretty easy???

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknightspideyfanboy: I mean, damn. I just started avoiding the WW threads entirely. I rarely even comment on anything with her name in it anymore. You know the most ironic thing? The new run's going to split people even more. Those mourning the end Azz run, those still crying out for Pre 52 stuff and those who think the Finches' are rubbish or the Olympians' gift to the comics world. Seriously, comic book fans are the most spiteful, whiny... ah what the hell. Personally, I'll wait for a few reviews to come in before I get all hot and bothered for anything

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The digital coloring on her leg is awful.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

@movieartman: Don't be a dick. Having a difference of opinion is one thing, calling someone pathetic for disagreeing is another thing entirely.

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Art looks of high technical quality but also dull and generic. Like to see a little more emotion and ferocity when kicking Swamp Thing in the face, please. And, yeah, buff her up and give her a jaw.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By kilowog52

In all honesty, I was hoping for Wonder Woman by Geoff Johns after Azzarello's run because of what Johns had done with her in Justice League with Steve Trevor and the Cheetah and stuff. I think Johns would have been perfect to introduce classic WW villains into the New 52. But I guess the demand for Johns is too high. There's that rumor going around he's only allowed to write two books at a time now and he's currently writing JL and Superman. But it was announced a while ago that he's also got another book coming out that will spin out of Forever Evil. Maybe that was nixed? And there's people saying he's going to also write a Shazam! book once he gets around to it.

Anyway, back on topic, I read at least one interview with David and Meredith Finch and I got some pretty straightforward answers from it on what this run will be. First of all, she said they will use some elements from Azzarello's run, but not try to continue his story or write like him out of respect for him. Furthermore, she said the book would have a different focus under her than it did under Azz. Whereas it had been focusing on the family of the Greek gods, Finch will focus on different aspects of who Diana is, including her role as a superhero and member of the Justice League. It was also mentioned that Meredith Finch didn't have the knowledge of Diana's history and supporting cast, so I'm guessing we won't see many of the classing WW villains I was hoping for, but more of a completely new story. I don't know what it will be, but I certainly hope that since the publisher has given her the green light to write the series, they like what she's doing, and think the fans will like it too

Anabyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sasquatch888: Pal an Amazon is supposed to be thick and intimidating it's part of her character.....Skinny and Slim like she is malnourished is not an Amazoness trait...

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Mekboy

Really digging that art.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anabyss said:

@sasquatch888: Pal an Amazon is supposed to be thick and intimidating it's part of her character.....Skinny and Slim like she is malnourished is not an Amazoness trait...

an Amazon is supposed to be thick and intimidating??? "thick and intimidating" ??? how thick is thick ? j-lo thick or Melissa McCarthy thick be more specific ? is there some ww guideline at DC that states that? i think that finchs WW does not look malnourished at all i think she looks pretty healthy ...im just saying ww can be drawn different ways and i prefer this way ..i think she looks kick ass stomping swamp thing in that last pic ...not skinny at all

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Meredith Finch mentioned she would be expressing Wonder Woman as a more young, inexperienced hero in the human world and will have her making mistakes. I've had time to digest this since initially I was disappointed. I like a strong, battle-worn and experienced Diana. Wise, etc. This seems to be more like a beginning story and of course, the amount of creativity this can generate is high. Wonder Woman as being flawed due to her youth and inexperience in the human world? I guess I can go with that. I decided to liken it to Lara Croft of the Tomb Raider fame. I know both characters are destined to be powerful, capable and strong women, so witnessing their journey can be a good thing.

This would explain the young, almost unsure look on Wonder Woman's face and maybe even how she appears, physically. I do believe Diana should be presented as the most beautiful woman possible and Finch does a spectacular job in getting that across.

I'm down for this.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@feargalr said:

I'm so sad that the current run is coming to end. It's been consistently the best thing that DC has been putting out since the new 52 started I think.

Don't worry, Lemire is still writing Green Arrow!

No, wait....

kingmezidor7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why Doesn't Swamp Thing Have A Female Counterpart To Fight These Battles For Him When They Arise?