gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided

Peter Quill may have been born on Earth, but he’s been gone a long time. This December, he returns to his original home planet, and he’s not leaving anytime soon! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look at STAR-LORD #1 – the all-new series from fan-favorite creators Chip Zdarsky (Howard the Duck) and Kris Anka (Uncanny X-Men, Captain Marvel)! Ask yourself, how does one man go from soaring through the stars, guarding the galaxy – to ending up with his feet planted firmly on the ground? One thing is for certain, Earth has a new guardian. Be there for terrestrial action with out-of-this world thrills when STAR-LORD #1 comes to comic shops and digital devices on December 21st!

STAR-LORD #1 (OCT160830)

Written by CHIP ZDARSKY

Art & Cover by KRIS ANKA

Variant Cover by CHIP ZDARSKY (OCT160831)

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER (OCT160833)

Hip-Hop Variant by BILL SIENKIEWICZ (OCT160832)

ICX Variant by CHRIS STEVENS (OCT160834)

Games Variant Also Available (OCT160836)

Animation Variant Also Available (OCT160835)

FOC – 11/21/16, On-Sale – 12/21/16

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Peter's stuck on Earth... the morgages and the desk job is closing in around him!

Avatar image for deactivated-1351355
deactivated-1351355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Meh....

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

So since Star-Lord is no longer living among the stars and is earthbound now, does this mean we should call him -

*puts on sunglasses*

- "Landlord" from now on?

... I'll see myself out.

galacticshrub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By galacticshrub

This looks like it could be fun. Chip Zdarsky always puts out fun books, at least.

Honestly, I'm just happy when anyone else but Bendis gets their hands on a Guardians character. I really wish he would give someone else a chance with their main book.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like Chip Zdarsky, Kris Anka, and Howard the Duck...... Might have to check this out.

ObiWanKevobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ObiWanKevobi

The art seems a little weird to me. I'll pick up issue #1 and see if I like it.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And Quill still looks like Chris Pratt why?

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always a fan of Chip, going to pre-order this now.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It certainly looks good and miles better than that slockfest we had with Humphries.

Anka's art is also refreshingly neat yet still detailed.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mooty_Pass

That sucks he only has two friends......Now if memory serves me correct Peter Quill is friends with not just One X-man. Some of the X-men he is friends with. But since everyone is bickering I guess nobody wants to talk.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormphoenix: The way Bendis wrote it, it's pretty much Peter's fault and insistence they were in that fight where Rocket's ship was destroyed and they got stranded on Earth after which the Guardians had a heated argument and everyone decided to take their respective time-off's.

And most of the X-man were on Tony's side as I recall.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Maddpanda531

Wasn't a fan of Humphries' Star-Lord, but this looks to be a really fun series. Looking forward to it. Also, I'm really glad to see Chip on a new series. Only thing I'm not super keen on is Anka on art, but I can deal.

irondoom4891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By irondoom4891

@life_without_progress: As corny as that sounds...i am epically jealous i didn't think of that myself and even if i had, you beat me to posting it. Well done sir.

jeanvaljean11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Kris Anka must have crush on Star-Lord.... look at this abs. I mean...I have never seen half naked hero for no reason in three pages. I mean Herc and Thor are gods, don't count those lechers.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the art, and I love his modern day hair cut, makes him hot af...#nohomo

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What happened to his ship?

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another different take on a character I will be happy to read.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis blew it up so now all of GOTG are stuck on earth despite there being multiple occasions of earthlings being able to traverse the reaches of space.

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star-Lord stuck on having to figure out life on earth. Clever.

To keep my excitement in the meantime, I think I'll read a book about the water cycle.

Pass.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 tparks  Online

This is the worst idea I've seen for cosmic Marvel ever... And since Marvel NOW, cosmic Marvel has been a complete joke already. Why should Star-Lord care at all about Earth? That's just dumb, and a complete slap in the face to any long-time fans of his character. His whole character revolved around longing for the stars, and to be a part of space. He never wanted anything to do with Earth.

Please do not support this garbage. Don't buy it. Let Marvel realize we want good cosmic Marvel again.

Cagnazzo82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So since Star-Lord is no longer living among the stars and is earthbound now, does this mean we should call him -

*puts on sunglasses*

... I'll see myself out.

Landlord would actually be a good name for a comic book character.

For some reason I see him as a Kingpin villain type character :)

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By laughingbatman

@life_without_progress said:

*puts on sunglasses*

... I'll see myself out.

Landlord would actually be a good name for a comic book character.

For some reason I see him as a Kingpin villain type character :)

Scared old man: "Please have mercy! I will have my full rent next month!"

Landlord: "Sorry, pops. You don't have my money on time, you get....EVICTED! Muahahaha!"

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen said:

Bendis blew it up so now all of GOTG are stuck on earth despite there being multiple occasions of earthlings being able to traverse the reaches of space.

@mark_stephen said:

I remember his old black and white adventures, his ship then was actually the spirit of a sun that had been murdered. Man there's nothing that Bendis can't ruin is there?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: Ah yes, THAT ship. She was destroyed about 10 years ago in a flashback during the Annihilation saga. She at least had an honorable death. But correct, if Bendis can get his hands on it, he will ruin it.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So glad Anka is actually drawing a male character now instead of drawing Carol as one. I still see that he loves giving every character the same hair cut though. If Howard is a supporting character I may pick the title up for Chip, but I have never been an Anka fan.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mooty_Pass

@stormphoenix: The way Bendis wrote it, it's pretty much Peter's fault and insistence they were in that fight where Rocket's ship was destroyed and they got stranded on Earth after which the Guardians had a heated argument and everyone decided to take their respective time-off's.

And most of the X-man were on Tony's side as I recall.

Ah ok.

Not most of the X-men were on Tony Side Carol had the more interesting and Better X-men on her side LOL. But overall The Guardians are cool with the X-men like in the events of Black Vortex they became friends.

igilistr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By igilistr

I stoped liked Star-lord after hes been turned him into "Reject from American pie teenage bulshit movies" from movie and when he started it with Shadowcat.

So i pass.

Ps: Death to Abigail Brand.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tparks  Online

And why is Peter made to look like a frat-boy bro? Someone please hire DnA, and never let anyone else write Guardians characters ever again.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sinikettu

@tparks: I'd like to think it's to reflect how his basically penniless, without useful skills to get a job, bereft of allies(on Earth) and therefore has pretty much nothing else to do but chug beer & watch football now that his stuck on Earth... It's not like the Earth even really 'needs' him in the sense that it already has loads of of super heroes.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tparks  Online

@sinikettu: I don't care if Peter wants to drink. The whole Guardians team drinks often.

I have a problem with him being portrayed as a college boy on spring break, at least just in appearances. It just doesn't fit his character at all.

I have a problem that he is content to just sit around and be lazy. He's established as one of the most driven characters in the Galaxy. He was the strategic brains and second in command to the entire Galaxy alliance that rebelled against the Annihilation wave. He created a near-impenetrable planet wide defense network just in case another attack ever happened. He formed the Guardians to be a proactive team to prevent any more Universe ending threats from ever even starting. He gave his life and submitted to an eternity of limbo in the cancer-universe just to prevent Thanos from ever being a threat to the Galaxy again. And now...he's sitting around on Earth, not trying to get back into space to keep the universe safe. It's a joke.

I have a problem, that he's on Earth. That's my biggest gripe. No Guardians should ever touch foot on Earth, or have anything to do with Earth stories ever. They shouldn't even care about Earth. It's such an insignificant thing to worry about, when compared to the rest of the universe. When DnA established Star-Lord, and the rest of the Guardians back into comics, and wrote amazing enough stories to get them a movie, they chose to completely ignore the Civil War event, because they said this team should have no business dealing with Earth. All of the characters on the team don't really even care about Earth, Star-Lord included. He worked his whole life to get into space as the top astronaut ever from Earth (or child now that it's been retconned), and never returned because he didn't care about Earth, only space. Star-Lord should never be put into Earth-based stories. Why read cosmic books, to have them just be about all of the Earth characters?

I really hope hardly anyone buys this book, or any other cosmic Marvel books. Every time we buy cosmic books, hoping it will be as good as they used to be, we just support Marvell's decision to have the cosmic characters crossing over into Earth stories. We need to stop supporting this. If enough of us stop giving Marvel our money, then Marvel will make changes, maybe even hire Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning back, and get cosmic Marvel back to the glory it used to be.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.. you know, Howard actually has a point.

Man up, Quill!

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

@sinikettu:

I really hope hardly anyone buys this book, or any other cosmic Marvel books. Every time we buy cosmic books, hoping it will be as good as they used to be, we just support Marvell's decision to have the cosmic characters crossing over into Earth stories. We need to stop supporting this. If enough of us stop giving Marvel our money, then Marvel will make changes, maybe even hire Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning back, and get cosmic Marvel back to the glory it used to be.

I think that's a bit harsh even though I haven't been exactly thrilled either with whats been done to Marvel's Cosmic for the past 3 years but hoping for Abnett and Lanning to go back writing comics is not going to happen, I wonder how long Abnett is going to be even able to work at all with his Parkinson's...

Still, I have faith in Zdarsky & Rosenberg to write something good out of the mess Bendis left the Guardians in after CW II. Speaking of which, I'd really like to know what's going to happen with the main book after January?all I know is that Bendis has 'promised, in an interview at September to write some kind of extra-long 100-pager farewell issue after the actual run has completed. It would be a bit odd for Marvel not to cash in with the upcoming hype for GOTG 2 by announcing their traditional prequel comics and wether they're going to continue the main book or not. Though I'd assume we wont be hearing anything really new before the January Solicitations are announced.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tparks  Online

@sinikettu: Why wouldn't they write again? Abnett wrote the Rocket and Groot: Steal the Galaxy book, also Guardians 3000, and parts of the Guardians of the Galaxy annual. I don't see why at least he wouldn't w cosmic Marvel again, since Marvel still does have him write for them on books. Probably not Lanning, but to be honest, Abnett has the better cosmic resume, with the sci-fi books he writes for stuff like Warhammer 40K. I'd be fine with just him.

I also don't think I'm being harsh at all. Cosmic Marvel went from being the most consistently best books being put out by Marvel, to an almost Looney Toons style of writing. Rocket turned into a cartoon character. Groot is just weird. Star-Lord is all screwed up all over the board. The. There are characters like Venom, Thing, Kitty Pryde, and Iron Man on the team, which makes zero sense for a Guardians book. It's been turned into screwball comedy Avengers in space, and has none of what made Guardians Guardians. The only way to stop Marvel from plowing forward with more of this disresepect to their own corner of their universe, is for people to stop supporting it. Fans of the Guardians should not be supporting an Earth-based Star-Lord book.

It's like if there was a Star Wars movie made, but it takes place on Earth, with no aliens, and no cosmic story at all. It's just about how Luke Skywalker is coping with living on Earth. People would lose their minds if this happens. There are long-time Guardians and Star-Lord fans, like myself, that see this as just as frustrating.

It's the status quo for Marvel currently though.

Take away Mjolnir from Thor, and give it to someone else.

Kill Hulk, and make someone else Hulk.

Take away Cap's powers, and make someone else Cap.

Completely screw all of Spider-Man's long and awesome continuity.

Take all of Star-Lord's awesome continuity, retcon it, then stick him on Earth, even though it's a complete disrespect to his character.

These are things we need to stop supporting. Everyone complains about these changes, and for good reasons, but people keep buying the books anyways, because they don't want to miss out on something, but they always end up frustrated and disappointed. It's our fault though, because we keep buying the books anyways. We all need to just say "No!" to bad comics, and not support Marvel until they actually start writing quality comics again, and not just doing whatever they can to hook people with gimmicks and dissatisfying events that require buying a dozen more comics a month then you need to. We need to stop giving Marvel our money, or else this will never change.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: @sinikettu: Why wouldn't they write again? Abnett wrote the Rocket and Groot: Steal the Galaxy book, also Guardians 3000, and parts of the Guardians of the Galaxy annual. I don't see why at least he wouldn't w cosmic Marvel again, since Marvel still does have him write for them on books. Probably not Lanning, but to be honest, Abnett has the better cosmic resume, with the sci-fi books he writes for stuff like Warhammer 40K. I'd be fine with just him

Abnett's exclusive deal with DC seems to be going fine for the time being... I've no idea if his exclusive includes the novelizations as well as comics. Anyway I'm still under opinion that you're being overly harsh for a book after seeing something like 3-pages. I'll probably buy at least the first issues of both solo-books along with Gamora's even though I didn't really like the direction Nicole Pearlman was planning for her book. Just to see the tone and direction for the books. I was skeptical with both Drax & Venom as well and ended up enjoying both.

In any case for what I've gathered from Interviews, Star-lord, Rocket and the rest fo GOTG gang being stuck at Earth isn't going to be anything permanent. I'd assume that once Bendis has done his "thing" with the main book and left for good, Zdarsky and Rosenberg are (mostly) free do what they want in-continuity-wise with the books they're writing -I hope anyway, since at least Rosenberg has voiced as his opinion that Rocket's place isn't really on Earth. So I'd predict neither books to stay grounded on Earth for much longer than the first arch.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

@sinikettu: I don't care if Peter wants to drink. The whole Guardians team drinks often.

I have a problem with him being portrayed as a college boy on spring break, at least just in appearances. It just doesn't fit his character at all.

I have a problem that he is content to just sit around and be lazy. He's established as one of the most driven characters in the Galaxy. He was the strategic brains and second in command to the entire Galaxy alliance that rebelled against the Annihilation wave. He created a near-impenetrable planet wide defense network just in case another attack ever happened. He formed the Guardians to be a proactive team to prevent any more Universe ending threats from ever even starting. He gave his life and submitted to an eternity of limbo in the cancer-universe just to prevent Thanos from ever being a threat to the Galaxy again. And now...he's sitting around on Earth, not trying to get back into space to keep the universe safe. It's a joke.

I have a problem, that he's on Earth. That's my biggest gripe. No Guardians should ever touch foot on Earth, or have anything to do with Earth stories ever. They shouldn't even care about Earth. It's such an insignificant thing to worry about, when compared to the rest of the universe. When DnA established Star-Lord, and the rest of the Guardians back into comics, and wrote amazing enough stories to get them a movie, they chose to completely ignore the Civil War event, because they said this team should have no business dealing with Earth. All of the characters on the team don't really even care about Earth, Star-Lord included. He worked his whole life to get into space as the top astronaut ever from Earth (or child now that it's been retconned), and never returned because he didn't care about Earth, only space. Star-Lord should never be put into Earth-based stories. Why read cosmic books, to have them just be about all of the Earth characters?

...That doesn't sound like Chris Pratt.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tparks  Online

@sinikettu: Abnett is writing with DC, but its not exclusive. He writes for other books outside of DC. He writes Aliens books for Darkhorse. Heck, he even is writing for Marvel right now on Gods of War. There is no reason why he couldn't return to cosmic Marvel, seeing as how he just finished a book for them 2 months ago.

As far as me being harsh, it's like calling someone harsh if they were upset if Marvel took Spider-Man, retconned that he ever got bit by a spider and had powers, retconned his entire history, made him act completely different then he ever has before, and leave the 616 universe to interact with characters that have nothing to do with him. That's what has happened to Star-Lord. Youre talking like it's only one arc, so what's the big deal? The thing is, this has happened to Star-Lord for years now, and people keep giving money to support this and encourage them to continue this style of writing. Anyone who was a fan of him, is very frustrated. I admit, there are few like me who were such big fans of the character before there was even movies announced, but that still doesn't forgive the complete lack of respect or at least acknowledgment for his character continuity.

If someone wants to write a fish-out-of-water story, why not just invent a new character, instead of tarnishing the already screwed up treatment Peter has gotten for the past several years. I'm not judging this based on three pages. I'm judging this on Star-Lord being on Earth for an arc. That should never happen. I don't care how good the writing is, it should not happen. Just like the Star Wars example I used earlier. Luke Skywalker should never be on Earth, because it's dumb to write a story for him being on Earth, even if Earth existed in Star Wars. Same for Star-Lord. He definitely should not have an entire arc dedicated to him being on Earth. It should have nothing to do with his character or his stories if any amount of respect is given to his continuity.

Normally, I'd agree to expect it to be good, and judge it after I've read it. But with Marvel in the past several years, I've yet to have a single good cosmic book, and do not expect them to be good anymore. I'm not going to give them my money until they fix that, and I wish others wouldn't too.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tparks  Online
sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: That's Ok, I guess I'm an eternal optimist then... for always wanting to believe that a new writer and run could bring better stories if the first one wasn't up to my tastes.

Hopefully we'll see something good with the upcoming Shiar-Asgard war event, at least it shouldn't include Earth at all... Right?

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tparks  Online

@sinikettu: Normally, I'm an optimist too. Marvel has just gone too far lately IMO. I'm enjoying King's Batman right now, and am looking forward to more, and I think a lot of people would call me an optimist for that. Lol

A Shiar-Asgard War is a really cool concept.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Yeah, it sounds pretty cool. I'm just worried that the writer fumbles and we end up with something lame like She-Thor duking it out with Gladiator after which the Shi'ar go home and that's not how an event like that should go. Too many Marvel events of late have started great only to peter out at the final stretch.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tparks  Online

@sinikettu: Tell me about it. Although I can see how tough it would be to write a good conclusion, where one side has to lose, when there are fans of both sides of the characters involved. It would be hard to make people happy with any ending. They need to just stop writing themselves into these corners, and focus more on story-telling then event-hype and character crossovers.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Yeah, it's become difficult to really keep up with Marvel these days when there's some kind of crossover or event of crisis going on all the time that's spread out between 10-12-books. Then again I used to like the "good old times" when a story was 6-12-issues long and books weren't cancelled almost every other month.

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star-Lord is stuck on Earth a -

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

fastflash12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By fastflash12

They need to make an alternate Avengers team with Howard the Duck, Star-Lord, Squirrel Girl, and Deadpool. Avengers Phuck Up, would be a solid title.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

@sinikettu: It's such an insignificant thing to worry about, when compared to the rest of the universe.

Incursions. And fact that whole universe was recreated by earthmen. Insgnificant? No.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: What is your impression about the Silver Surfer solo, then? For me it's the only legit cosmic book Marvel offers, Nova being a far second.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tparks  Online

@tparks: What is your impression about the Silver Surfer solo, then? For me it's the only legit cosmic book Marvel offers, Nova being a far second.

I've stopped reading Marvel a few months before Civil War 2 started, but Silver Surfer was a good book. I know some people complained about Dawn, but after I got used to her, I realized how much she added to Surfer's book. I love Silver Surfer, but his books can get boring, since he is just so detached. Dawn really helped have some real charcterization to Surfer, that he desperately needs in a solo book. I liked that instead of changing Surfer's established character from previous books to suit a modern writing style, Dawn was just added to make the book more reader friendly. I honestly thought it was some of the best of Surfer's books.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: I really like how it resembles Golden or Silver Age comics, and the premise too: weird space adventures without any care about Earth events (except Secret Wars...that was one surreal issue).

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tparks  Online