• 107 results
#51 Edited by Bl00dwerK (957 posts) - - Show Bio

@jpatricks said:

@bl00dwerk: Interesting choice of profile pic then

Isn't it? He gets credit for Eva, but that's it. His entire run was a waste of time (and money).

#52 Posted by AsheTDust (1846 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iceslick said:

@blue_son: because people have a problem with a female having the name Iron Man because of the word "man" on it. When man can go for both man or woman.

I agree. The words woman or man should apply to both genders at the same time!

No Caption Provided

Coming soon, the new Bendis version of Wonder Woman.

#53 Posted by CobraCommander (194 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll gibe Bendis credit for one thing. As much of a hack as he is he knows how to bring on the tears.

#54 Posted by mewtaunt (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to thank Marvel for reducing the amount of Marvel comics I read each week so I have time for other titles.

200% agreed!

#55 Posted by mewtaunt (9 posts) - - Show Bio

A bunch of talking heads and boring layouts, nothing new here!!

Avatar image for staticspeedster
#57 Posted by StaticSpeedster (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

More like:

Bendis takes things on a whole new level.

#58 Posted by coffeeprince29 (47 posts) - - Show Bio
#59 Posted by Rubear (4643 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iceslick said:

@blue_son: because people have a problem with a female having the name Iron Man because of the word "man" on it. When man can go for both man or woman.

I agree. The words woman or man should apply to both genders at the same time!

Coming soon, the new Bendis version of Wonder Woman.

No Caption Provided

#60 Posted by g2_ (11429 posts) - - Show Bio

This series sucks. I wish I could have just come to Marvel and fix them myself.

#61 Posted by xsbrx (205 posts) - - Show Bio

These comments are already more interesting to read than the actual book itself.

#62 Posted by KrleAvenger (26352 posts) - - Show Bio

No thanks.

#63 Edited by JamesSpiring (996 posts) - - Show Bio

@xdemonxrebornx said:

I'll be honest out of all of the legacy mantles I've seen recently one of the only one that had a semi decent story or for better words, a reasonable explanation for handing down the mantle in Marvel has been between Wolverine and X-23. She is a clone of the original, trained to be much more of an assassin and ruthless killer than James yet found her own freedom and decided to take on the mantle of her original/father figure in her own way. It would have never made sense to give it to Sabretooth (though they went on to make him a good guy anyways which doesn't feel right at all that he would decide such a big change like that just because his favorite punching bag is no longer alive.)

Sabretooth turned good because of Axis, not because Logan died. The two events just happened to be at around the same time.

#64 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@xdemonxrebornx said:

I'll be honest out of all of the legacy mantles I've seen recently one of the only one that had a semi decent story or for better words, a reasonable explanation for handing down the mantle in Marvel has been between Wolverine and X-23. She is a clone of the original, trained to be much more of an assassin and ruthless killer than James yet found her own freedom and decided to take on the mantle of her original/father figure in her own way. It would have never made sense to give it to Sabretooth (though they went on to make him a good guy anyways which doesn't feel right at all that he would decide such a big change like that just because his favorite punching bag is no longer alive.)

Sabretooth turned good because of Axis, not because Logan died. The two events just happened to be at around the same time.

I'm sure all his victims feel better now that he's a good guy.

#65 Posted by CobraCommander (194 posts) - - Show Bio
#66 Posted by BuNKiTZ (260 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved the first issue, was totally surprised to find out Caselli was on art, but very pleased about that. So, definitely looking forward to this one.

The images of the covers look off, though. Like they're just scans and not direct feed images, so to speak.

#67 Posted by Crimshade (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@blue_son Sir, I could not describe in a better way why Riri Williams is not getting the approval Marvel is demanding we give her. I fully agree with your statements.

In my opinion, she has done nothing to prove she even remotely deserves such an iconic mantle. All she did was build a barely functioning armor, which endangered her as on her first outing it broke to pieces trying to stop a truck with criminals on it. She has no training or experience of any sort, and even when she was recognized by Tony Stark, never actually did anything. Her character development until issue 1 was basically other characters saying "she's so smart; she's the best; OMG ur sooooo cool" which frankly isn't a good way to go about it, as you don't see the character actually demonstrate through actions they are worthy of said praise. I read the first issue and honestly did not really find it to be very compelling, Riri herself to me comes off as arrogant and is over her head. If you like the character, power to you, I am not a fan.

Taking on the mantle of Iron Man should encompass much more than just building a functioning armor, because if that was the case there'd be many Iron Men and Women flying about all over the place, it feels like she basically earned the mantle as if it was a "participation medal" of sorts.

Toni Ho, who will be Iron Patriot in USAvengers could have easily been better fit to take on that mantle being one of A.I.M's leading engineers, as well having taken part in battles against criminal organizations and having built two fully functioning armors (A variant of the Rescue suit and the incumbent Iron Patriot); She's also the daughter of Ho Yinsen who helped build the original Iron Man armor so there is a direct legacy connection there. However, it seems she wasn't what Marvel ethnically wanted to go for.

#68 Posted by D9000 (1637 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks exciting

#69 Posted by jim158 (290 posts) - - Show Bio
#70 Posted by LuffyDUzumaki (132 posts) - - Show Bio

I really wish this character would stop attracting so much hate. At this point you're either going to read it or not. I'm tired of seeing comic book fans throwing word's like "SJW", "Bigot", "forced", and "pandering" at each other. It's sickening.

On a side I'm interested to see how this is going to turn out.

#71 Posted by Blue Son (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@blue_son Sir, I could not describe in a better way why Riri Williams is not getting the approval Marvel is demanding we give her. I fully agree with your statements.

In my opinion, she has done nothing to prove she even remotely deserves such an iconic mantle. All she did was build a barely functioning armor, which endangered her as on her first outing it broke to pieces trying to stop a truck with criminals on it. She has no training or experience of any sort, and even when she was recognized by Tony Stark, never actually did anything. Her character development until issue 1 was basically other characters saying "she's so smart; she's the best; OMG ur sooooo cool" which frankly isn't a good way to go about it, as you don't see the character actually demonstrate through actions they are worthy of said praise. I read the first issue and honestly did not really find it to be very compelling, Riri herself to me comes off as arrogant and is over her head. If you like the character, power to you, I am not a fan.

Taking on the mantle of Iron Man should encompass much more than just building a functioning armor, because if that was the case there'd be many Iron Men and Women flying about all over the place, it feels like she basically earned the mantle as if it was a "participation medal" of sorts.

Toni Ho, who will be Iron Patriot in USAvengers could have easily been better fit to take on that mantle being one of A.I.M's leading engineers, as well having taken part in battles against criminal organizations and having built two fully functioning armors (A variant of the Rescue suit and the incumbent Iron Patriot); She's also the daughter of Ho Yinsen who helped build the original Iron Man armor so there is a direct legacy connection there. However, it seems she wasn't what Marvel ethnically wanted to go for.

Dear Sir, you have further to solidify my statements. Had Bendis introduced Riri's character earlier and shown us an actual mentorship between her and Stark, OR not went along with the ridiculous Civil War II story (or postponed it a bit, if they had to put that trash out) which puts Stark in an early grave and allowed us to continue to see him mentoring her, I am sure people would be way more receptive to Riri Williams taking the mantle, EVEN if it was for a year.

And I totally forgot about Toni Ho, who I totally agree has a far better claim to the Iron Man mantle that even Riri at this point.

It is true, people love their heroes, and they're not accustom to change or watching them die, but if you're going to go that route, for the love of all that is holy at least make the storyline something that your audience will find truly awesome, and makes some type of sense. And the sad thing is, it isn't like Marvel has not done it before, or is incapable of it.

Example, the "Death of Peter Parker" and Doc Ock becoming the Superior Spiderman in my opinion was not only one of the BEST shocks within the Marvel universe, but a unique form of mantle passing that was NEVER done before.

THAT is how you tell a story, and keep your readers invested. Not to mention as shocked as fans were, people could understand it, Ock and Parker have history together to a point of mutual respect. So it would make sense that he would try and take up the Spider Man mantle, although everyone could clearly see a part of it was fueled strictly by ego, which also made the stories of him becoming Spider-Man more interesting.

So to my argument, I don't think majority people are not accepting of Riri, I think they believe that she and the Iron Man legacy both deserve better than the half-ass storyline Marvel put out to both introduce her and pass it down to her. They derserve much better than what we have seen so far. Unfortunately in the world of comic books ...there are not a lot of do-overs.

#72 Posted by StellatedColt (896 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol these comments. Wew lad

#73 Posted by Dafyd (20 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a gimmick that will last as long as it sells, if the past is any indicator. It's a damn shame Bendis killed off Rhodey. He would have been an excellent mentor for Riri, being someone other than Tony in the suit. Pepper would, too.

These changes work best when it's a family--say, the Bat family or the Spider-Man family. There's already an Ironman family of sorts, with Pepper, Tony, and up until recently, Rhodes. But why do that when you can knowingly gin up controversy, feign innocence, and virtue signal?

#75 Posted by Helloman (29886 posts) - - Show Bio

This series is shaping up to be another great one from Marvel. I will pick this issue up.

#76 Posted by kiba (3733 posts) - - Show Bio

@blue_son: thank you for bringing some much appreciated intelligence and understanding into this thread.

#77 Edited by TrueMarvel (578 posts) - - Show Bio

Black man here.

Blue son is right. Not even close. You have to compare Riri with her contemporaries. Miles, Khan, Cho, Thor foster, Sam wilson as Cap,and X-23. On a spectrum, Thor girl is the worst way to go about a mantle transition. Sam and, X-23 are the best. Miles and Khan are a anomaly.

The factors?

1. Does it make sense

2. Does it rewrite existing continuity

3. Is the transition done "respectfully"

4. Is there proper story building leading up to the change. I.e. not lazy writing.

Sam Wilson IS the best choice to become Captain America. Rodgers literally gives the mantle to sam. Sam has been mentored by Cap. The transition was organic and natural. X-23 is very similar.

Khan and Miles pick up abandon mantles. And the story behind them is great.

On the opposite side of the spectrum. Thor foster. It DOESN'T make sense. It writes characters out of character. It drastically ignores and or changes continuity. Thor foster is constantly being shown as superior to OG Thor. It doesn't make sense. Two years into the change, Thors unworthiness had not been explained.

Now Riri on the otherhand? Will fall into the miles and khan categories. But not as well done. Why? Because Civil War II is trash and its her coming out party. Also the fact, a hero would kill another hero over something like this is beyond unbelievable. Riri will always have Civil War II bringing down her legacy. It also doesn't help that her armor seems like a female version of Ironman's. That was a mistake. They should have made her drastically different from Ironman visually. Dr. Dooms Ironman armor is a good example. The fact he does magic sets him apart. Miles looks totally different and has additional powers while still paying homage to peter's suit. Khan is SUPER different. And thats great! Riri just looks like Ironman and that will always be seen as a negative. Also it adds insult to injury that bendis killed off the proper successor to Stark, just so a bendis created character can take it. Riri also suffers from a sense of staleness. Miles and Khan replaced their predecessors in a time when Marvel fans weren't as exasperated about Marvel's diversity agenda. Now? After Hulk, Cap, Wolverine, and Thor have all been replaced. Its too much at once. Subtle diversity is universally praised. But when EVERY member of the avengers is dead or replaced, it screams overboard and reeks of artificial-ness rather than sincerity.

As a black man, i was delighted about Miles and Sam. But I feel apathetic towards Riri. There is no excitement because replacing heroes is now a gimmick due to overuse. In a vacuum each mantle change is ok BY ITSELF. On a individual level each replacement is just fine aside from Thor Foster. But when you take them all together its incredibly hard not to be exasperated. All in the span of like 2 and half years? Miles might be the only one above 3 years old. That is ridiculous

Blue Son is right. The attempt at diversity is cheapened by the method of which to accomplish it.

#78 Posted by casper4690 (704 posts) - - Show Bio

Garbage book, and #1 did wonders for my insomnia. Another poop stain marvel book getting droppe.

#79 Edited by Joey Ravn (439 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iceslick said:

No.

Woman is derived from the word man. Just like human is.

Don't go all gender fluidity on us.

Nah. "Human" in English comes from Norman (French) humain, which in turn comes from Latin humanus, which in turns comes from homo, meaning "member of the human race", not "male". Vir Latin for "man". The fact that "human" has "-man" as part of it is a happy coincidence, not an etymological reason.

As for "woman", the etymology isn't really correct either, since man in Old English more commonly meant "person" rather than "male". Wifmann meant "female person", not "wife of man" or anything of that sort.

Try again, I guess?

#80 Edited by Cagnazzo82 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

I really wish this character would stop attracting so much hate. At this point you're either going to read it or not. I'm tired of seeing comic book fans throwing word's like "SJW", "Bigot", "forced", and "pandering" at each other. It's sickening.

On a side I'm interested to see how this is going to turn out.

It's happening because there's a snowball effect taking place as well. Marvel is replacing or downgrading all the fan favorites in the span of a year to promote knock-offs in their place.

Obviously there's going to be some backlash.

If they killed off Wonder Woman and replaced her with say Damian Wayne, and said his name is now Wonder Woman... and the name of the book he starred in was now Wonder Woman (despite him having little to no ties to her) people would be wondering wtf.

That's essentially what Marvel has been doing.

And they're doing it over and over and over again. It's cheapening their brand.

And as much as I'd like to say I don't care, I'll stick to DC... part of me is actually annoyed because I always considered the Marvel Universe far superior to DC's universe. Nowadays aside from the cosplayers pretending to be superheroes, Marvel has no pillars holding it up. Everything's just all up in the air, and the entire universe feels like a What-if-verse because they're mostly interested in setting up storylines from cinematic movies or TV shows 5-10 years down the line.

#81 Posted by webheadcomics (188 posts) - - Show Bio

This book does not interest me nor do I support this change. Marvel in general has been on a steady decline concerning comics imo. Their comic universe is up in shambles. DC on the other hand has been amazing with Rebirth. And this is coming form a Marvel fan.

#82 Posted by DeathandGrim (4829 posts) - - Show Bio

@aros001 said:

"It’s the story that has the whole industry talking"

Yes, it is, and you know why? Because people see it as another example of Marvel making an unnecessary change, not for new interesting stories to tell, but just for the publicity and attention that'd come from it.

Why have Jane Foster become Thor? Was it to explore the deep and long relationship between the two characters and understand what makes Thor worthy while also giving Jane one last chance to do good in the world? No, it was so they could make Thor a woman.

Why make teen Iceman gay? Was it to create some interesting conflict and drama between the past and present Iceman and ask questions about living in different eras with different levels of acceptance? No, they just wanted to make a mainstream X-Men character gay.

Comic readers are not against diversity but we are against changing thing that didn't need to be changed and a company claiming to be diverse when it's really just being lazy and recycling and re-branding characters instead of putting in the time and effort to make new and unique characters that are heroes and villains in their own rights.

PUH-REACH !

#83 Posted by mysoulz (870 posts) - - Show Bio

@eto said:

@sumiladon: Miles' stories in ultimate universe were amazing, but now it's pretty much garbage.

See this is the thing. The Ultimate Universe was perfect the way it was. It should have never been combined into Marvel 616.

That's actually what's screwing everything up... and I'm not sure what was the logic behind it.

Everything Marvel is trying to do with characters like 'Ironheart', Miles Morales, female Thor, even the Inhumans replacing mutants would have made so much more sense if they just allowed them to exist in their own universe and work with a blank slate.

There is no logic in forcing these stand-in characters into the standard Marvel Universe and forcing all the legacy characters to die off, become evil nazis, become unworthy, etc...

The Ultimate Universe was already failing in sales, which Miles book in that universe was the only one holding ground.

Even if putting new legacy characters in a separate universe is the logical way to go, people will still find reasons to b***h about it like they already have done before.

#84 Posted by Sumiladon (45 posts) - - Show Bio

@hellsaint: People didn't complain about newcomer Terry Mcgunis becoming the new Batman. Or the three new Robins or Wally West being introduced as a new character. You bring up James Rhodes despite the complaints about Jane Foster.

Saying that people are allowed to make "pre-judgments", is you admitting it is irrationality, and than justifying it, just because. Of course Bucky was a more natural choice....just because. I don't or won't accept that. Be logical or be called out on your bullshit. Simple as that. I mean Falcon has been there longer for 50 years. But yeah, Bucky is the more logical choice. The common denominator is obvious. Lets be logical here. Jane Foster was hated the moment it was announced because she was female, and then the same complaints head to this day despite its fantastic reviews. Lets use common sense here.

#85 Posted by Sumiladon (45 posts) - - Show Bio

@blue_son: I am sick and tired of extreme "claims" of what people who call out this bullshit are apparently "saying", even when they didnt remotely say that. I have stated multiple times, I never said people have to like the book. Again, the fact that you are forced to repeat a clear FALSE NARRATIVE and lie about what I directly say to inflate your point emotionally, only means to prove how you are backed into a corner intellectually. Think logically and stop being a typical internet commenter. Respond to what I am SAYING!! Use scientific method and common sense.

#86 Posted by Sumiladon (45 posts) - - Show Bio

@aros001: Your examples are all the that has happened years ago in comics. Dick Grayson as knighting LONG before the internet. And Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel, nobody cared or really knew about that hero. You and I both know, that if Mar-Vel was the current captain Marvel and they decided to have him be replaced by Carol Danvers, the internet would complain just as much as the rest. You and I both know this. Lets think logically here. Jane Foster has a history with Thor. Miles did not with Peter. And neither did Terry Mcgniss with Batman, or Wally West with Flash.

Everything you stated about Ms. Marvel is who she is as a character from her story AFTER her comic was out. You see....given a chance. Before the release of course, she was just "forced" to "force" a Muslim hero in another heroes name, for "political correctness".

Speaking of Doctor Doom. It shows more obvious evidence, when more people are okay with Doom than Riri as Iron Man. Doom, which is so imperically obvious is just a gimmick short term thing, like Doc oc as Spider-man.

#87 Edited by HellSaint (305 posts) - - Show Bio

@sumiladon:

Yeah you REALLY don't get to try and tell people to be logical when you are being completely irrational.

Pre-judgement is simple human nature because if we didn't go that we would have to experience everything ever to have a judgement on it. I've never been stung by a jellyfish before, but I know enough to decide that its probably not fun.

Robin is a role that was always meant to be traded away as characters grow up or die. Terry was a lucky thing as I've said before, but they still managed to trade the role of batman with RESPECT and so people weren't mad. Bucky wasn't a natural choice just because, he was caps best friend and trained with him, knew everything about him and what he stood store even more than Falcon did. Now, I am fine with Same being Captain Falcon (Alternatively I also call him American Eagle..) . The multiples Flashes were more accepted because of the respect paid to the previous versions.

Miles worked because the story was good. Plus he has (had) the added benefit of replacing ultimate Peter Park....and screw Ultimate Peter Parker, and being one of the earlier characters to do this..but to have almost all of your heroes killed off, depowered, and basically insulted just to be replaced by low rent versions of themselves for the sake publicity? No sir.

Marvel is not treating its characters with any sort of respect, many of them acting completely out of character just to make these new characters look good. People are allowed to be pissed since Marvel insists on pissing on the characters they love and care for. Yeah, people should be mad.

I know I'm made because I'm tired of teenagers. I really only give Miles and Khamala a pass because of how good they are, but god knows I dislike teenage superheroes so that party of why I'm mad. If I wanted teenagers to occupy the important roles I'd stick with anime, or keep watching Power Rangers, but I love comics. I just hate to see what they are doing.

And you don't even have an actual counter for most of their points. All you've brought it the same old song and dance trying to shut them down by calling them "bigots" a word that is losing all of its power because people like you just love to throw it around like its confetti. I can bring up more points for people being all for diversity than you have for them not.

People weren't even completely angry about female Thor until they saw how it was done, and how utterly disrespectful the writer was to the guy who has been Thor for 50 years. People were willing to go along with the mystery for a little bit. People have a right to be mad when a character they have loved for decades is being replaced for a publicity student, and lets be clear..its what she is, and a terrible one at that.

And really? Bringing up reviews? You are either a troll or you are literally a child.

You just seem to be willfully ignorant, you don't get to call people out when you are going out of your way to be illogical and angry. You are a fool pretending to be wise, and that annoys me even more than you crying bigot, and before you call me out as a white guy, I'm Black cause I know people like you just love to do that.

So I'm going to go ahead and make this clear to you;

Either practice what you preach. Or stop talking in general.

#88 Posted by mysoulz (870 posts) - - Show Bio

@blue_son: I agree with some of the things you say here and you make a good point, regarding the original heroes coming back all of a sudden. But you can't ignore the fact that most people will judge these characters before their debut in these comic books is out on the shelves, due to their race. You say that characters like Miles became Spider-Man made sense, because it's awesome, despite Peter having to be killed off in that universe just so Miles can take on the mantle. Miles received a lot of hatred there. The same "forced, sjw, PC, rushed" or whatever argument was used towards him based off on that. But how can you say something like that made sense when people used "forced, sjw, race, PC" towards Miles for that very reason?

#89 Posted by BlackSuit (414 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, all these heroes replacements are just gimmicks, this is not really about diversity, don't let Marvel fool you.

All began with Superior Spider-Man, Dan Slott "killed" Peter and Doctor Octopus stole his body and identity. What we saw after that was a contrived and insulting story. All Peter supporting take an overdose of stupid pills just for them not discovering SpOck was an impostor (except his pet creations), the Avengers were depicted as dumb idiots, we had an story where was all about if Otto would succeed in rape Mary Jane or not (just to be left with his toughs while wanking to her), Peter was there as a ghost and was depicted as impotent and whiny just to be "killed" again like a chump, Black Cat was vilified and Slott made everything to show Peter as a loser and a failure, someone that just can't achieve nothing by himself (again just in a very contrived way, facilitating Otto's way). At the end, he gave us a very anticlimactic final that denied a real

All this contrived crapfest last almost one and a half year. Despite that SSM sold well (better than the previous ASM, lacerated after One More Day), and the relaunch was even bigger, boosted by Peter absence and the new TASM movie.

So, it showed to Marvel a way to increase the sales in normal times (in between the characters movies) and boost it even more when the movie hit theaters and wanted to do with other heroes. And we see the same patter we see in SSM. 1) Replace the hero and keep him away for a very long time. 2) Trash the character and the world around him, just to insult and anger the fans. Marvel believes that much more you anger the fans more they will sell (as Tom Brevoort openly said in his Tumblr). 3) When the new Marvel movie with the hero comes you put the hero back.

So, if you guys think the treatment of the traditional characters is disrespectful and insulting, well, that is not an accident, it was meant to be in this way. Marvel believe that trolling its fans makes more revenue, so they do it without remorse. That is why we had Thor becoming unworthy in a silly and unexplained way, be replaced by a unknown character that stole his name, had her true identity hided just to be revealed in a very stupid way, had all Thor's supporting cast downplayed (including Odin) and all Thor's mythos be retconned just to serve this new character. With Hulk and Cap they replaced them in a way that made sense, with Amadeos Cho and Falcon being good replacements, however made Bruce be killed by a freaking arrow, and made Captain America (a character created by two Jewish writers to fight Nazis at the WWII) become a Hydra Agent. Tony was replaced by a villain and by a character that doesn't shoe herself worthy of be in an Ion Man suit.

The only difference to Slott's formula is the replacement is not a villain, but a diverse character. Miles Morales worked back in 2011 so why not put it in two the mix and attracted readers that would go into comics otherwise.

The problem is, Marvel did it with all its main heroes all at once and now the Marvel Universe is almost unrecognizable and the fans are already tired of this gimmick. Worst, all the knife twisting of the Slott's formula plus the diverse characters give to the fans the feeling they want to bash the white male characters just like the SJW do on internet. They may not mean to, but the fans are perceiving in this way and many of them are becoming alienated from Marvel.

#90 Posted by kivatt (333 posts) - - Show Bio

@blue_son: As another black man I did not read all of it. But I did agree with a lot of what you said.

#91 Posted by Drache64 (1233 posts) - - Show Bio

@sumiladon: "all you people see is race"

Right... Because we'd all be applauding if they replaced Tony Stark with a white man...

Don't let race blind you from the actual problem. No one is concerned with her sex or race, they're mad Tony is being replaced.

#92 Posted by Blue Son (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@kivatt: Why thank you.

@mysoulz: You probably did not read all my posts, but if you get a chance you, you'll see that I did make that very same comment. I do agree that you have a lot of people who are not a fan of a black character taking on the role of white character, and that there are many comments out there that are racially motivated. I agree 100% with that. But I also argue, that is not everyone's outlook. Like I said before, people will never be happy about the death of their favorite character and the concept of anyone replacing them. Everyone forgot how pissed off people were when Eric Masterson replaced Thor back in the 90's, and he was a white guy! But eventually people began to accept him until the real Thor came back. And I'm pretty sure James Rhodes got an even bigger negative reception when he took over as Iron Man during the Devil in the Bottle story arc, but people were more receptive to it because of the story and history between him and Tony. Saying it to say, that if you tell a good enough story and it makes some type of sense, people will eventually warm up to the change.

Riri's story and entrance into the Marvel Universe was not told very well. In a lot of people's opinion she should have been introduced before the Civil War II storyline, had a mentorship and built SOME type of relationship with Stark.

Think about it logically, Tony Stark, the man who started Armor Wars to protect his tech from getting into the hands of both bad guys and heroes, the guy who has only trusted his tech to TWO people in his life (Pepper Potts and James Rhodes), is now handing his legacy over to a 15 year old. Not someone like Toni Ho, who has not only built her own functional armor, but has a stronger claim to the Iron Man legacy because her father helped Tony build his first armor which saved his life. Kind of makes you scratch your head a bit.

People are pissed not because Riri does not deserve to be Iron Man, its because once again like Thor they're seeing Tony Stark taken completely out of his character, and doing something that makes no sense whatsoever. He takes being Iron Man as a HUGE responsibility, so it's not a mantle you just hand over to anyone.

You got to see both sides of the coin.

@sumiladon: I don't even know where to begin with you other than to say that it would have been better if you just said you just do not agree with my opinion and left it at that.

You seem to forget that this whole thing started when you posted your first comment stating that all negative comments about Riri Williams being the new Iron Man are bigoted.

Now you're saying that you never said people must like the book. So then why make a comment that people are acting like bigots because they make a negative comment?

Then you say that my and other people's theories and reasons are unfounded as if we don't have a justifiable reason for not liking the book, which is once again OUR OPINION.

So basically you solidified my previous statement, if people don't have anything nice to say about the book, they should just shut up and keep it to themselves, am I correct?

I tried to speak to you as a person with some reason, now you force me to do otherwise.

You are the type of person who cries wolf ...and is really angry for some reason.

You and a lot of people like you are the reason why people make comments like "They are tired of the race card being thrown around." Because NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT RACE. And the sad part is, when there IS a situation that IS about race, they're so turned off they don't want to accept it for what it is, and I cannot say that I blame them.

IS THERE RACISIM IN THE WORLD? You are damn right there is.

ARE THERE PEOPLE WHO DO NOT WANT A BLACK YOUNG TEENAGER PRODIGY AS THE NEXT IRON MAN? You are damn right there are.

BUT MARVEL ALSO GAVE THE CHARACTER A SHITTY INTRODUCTION, PLACED HER IN THE WORST EVENT STORY ARC EVER TOLD, AND BASICALLY BASTARDIZED THE IRON MAN LEGACY WHILE DOING IT, BY MAKING HIM DO SOMETHING EVERYONE WITH HALF A BRAIN AND KNOWLEDGE OF TONY STARK KNOWS HE WOULD NEVER DO. That is also why a LOT of Marvel fans are pissed off, that is why I AM pissed off.

You don't have to agree with me, it's my opinion, and I am entitled to it.

Avatar image for robomonkeytwine
#93 Posted by RoboMonkeyTwine (26 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Riri. She's not "IronMan" she's her own character. People need to let it go.

Much better than that SheThor crap!

#94 Posted by RoboMonkeyTwine (26 posts) - - Show Bio

@aros001: Iceman is not gay...IceBoy is and he can GTFO!

#95 Posted by RoboMonkeyTwine (26 posts) - - Show Bio

@blue_son: There is a connection. She's a GD genius! I'd say she's smarter than he is. She just doesn't have his resources, so her mind has been held back. I can't wait to see what she does.

#96 Posted by Blue Son (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@robomonkeytwine: Like I said, not stopping anyone from reading it. And it could turn out to be an awesome comic, and I hope it is.

Still does not change my opinion that Marvel did a crappy job at introducing her.

#97 Edited by Cagnazzo82 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

@robomonkeytwine said:

I love Riri. She's not "IronMan" she's her own character. People need to let it go.

Much better than that SheThor crap!

People can't let it go because the title of the book is literally "Invincible Iron Man". They didn't even bother to change it to give her her own identity.

Again, if you produced a book called "Wonder Woman" starring some 10 year-old boy, people would be equally wondering what the hell is going on.

If a woman can call herself Iron Man or Thor then why can't a man call himself Diana of Themyscira.

Honestly I'm surprised they haven't made a female Hercules named Hercules yet, because it is getting that absurd and it's exactly what Marvel is aiming for these days.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
#98 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (5417 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man fans' bottled tears for sale.

#99 Posted by kudosome (2 posts) - - Show Bio

i was wondering, did Tony Stark with this superior Ironman destroy this A.I Copy?

Tony Stark went out an made the new Model-Prime armor just to have Riri get her own copy of it later.. from spare parts? all that work just for someone else to get ahold of it.