gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided

It’s the story that has the whole industry talking – and it’s unfolding right before your eyes! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your new look inside INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #2, the next can’t miss chapter from blockbuster creators Brian Michael Bendis and Stefano Caselli! Riri Williams has built her own homemade Iron Man armor, and now she has an A.I. to help her – the downloaded consciousness of Tony Stark himself! With Tony Stark mentoring her (okay, a version of Tony Stark) she can’t lose right? Let’s just say Riri Williams just might change the face of the Marvel Universe forever…if she survives the experience first. Easier said than done! Don’t miss the highly anticipated next issue when INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #2 comes to comic shops and digital devices everywhere on December 21st!

Missed Riri’s first outing? Be there when INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #1 returns to comic shops with a new printing on December 28th!

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #2 (OCT160862)

Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art & Cover by STEFANO CASELLI

Variant Cover by ANTHONY PIPER (OCT160863)

Teaser Variant by MIKE DEODATO (OCT160864)

ICX Variant by PASCAL CAMPION (OCT160865)

FOC – 11/28/16, On-Sale – 12/21/16

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #1 2nd PRINTING (OCT168098)

No Caption Provided

Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art & Cover by STEFANO CASELLI

FOC – 12/05/16, On-Sale – 12/28/16

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

No Caption Provided

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Bendis. So glad he's the hell away from the X-Men.

Ganymedes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Riri Williams takes things to the next level."

Doubt it.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By mrkareemruiz

Bigotry in the comments, didn't see that coming. The art is great.

harlequinreala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna take a pass.

On another note, there are WAY too many super geniuses running around and too many character change ups in Marvel. Have to be honest, there's very little going on at Marvel that I currently like.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rubear
No Caption Provided

Sure, in yours.

Blue Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have one question... if her new name is IronHeart, why are they still calling her Iron Man? OR, why the heck don't they just call her Iron Woman?

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

"It’s the story that has the whole industry talking"

Yes, it is, and you know why? Because people see it as another example of Marvel making an unnecessary change, not for new interesting stories to tell, but just for the publicity and attention that'd come from it.

Why have Jane Foster become Thor? Was it to explore the deep and long relationship between the two characters and understand what makes Thor worthy while also giving Jane one last chance to do good in the world? No, it was so they could make Thor a woman.

Why make teen Iceman gay? Was it to create some interesting conflict and drama between the past and present Iceman and ask questions about living in different eras with different levels of acceptance? No, they just wanted to make a mainstream X-Men character gay.

Comic readers are not against diversity but we are against changing thing that didn't need to be changed and a company claiming to be diverse when it's really just being lazy and recycling and re-branding characters instead of putting in the time and effort to make new and unique characters that are heroes and villains in their own rights.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

lmao literally no

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

@blue_son: because people have a problem with a female having the name Iron Man because of the word "man" on it. When man can go for both man or woman.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Iceslick said:

@blue_son: because people have a problem with a female having the name Iron Man because of the word "man" on it. When man can go for both man or woman.

No.

Woman is derived from the word man. Just like human is.

Don't go all gender fluidity on us.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only Bendis book I read is Infamous (for now), because it's awesome. Then again, it's Bendis so I won't be surprised if Inext arc will decrease in quality which means I have to drop the book.

Snake_Plissken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to thank Marvel for reducing the amount of Marvel comics I read each week so I have time for other titles.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ooooooh, Yes! :)

Sumiladon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001: How do you know it's not an interesting story to tell? You people complained long before hr first issue came out. When is there a necessary change? When it's a white male? You people make no sense.e It's bigotry. You just made an excuse to complain about any non-white male new legacy character by calling it forced, despite the comics always ending up great. Miles Morales, and now Riri Williams. Again, the comic has to come out, be good, and then you guys go...uhh okay sorry. Jesus Christ, you people's bigotry.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sumiladon: Miles' stories in ultimate universe were amazing, but now it's pretty much garbage.

Sumiladon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: I agree they are not that good. But I connect that to the dumb tie ins to events forcing him to never take his stride officially. Give it time. It's only been 10 months.

Blue Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@@sumiladon: I never thought I'd say this as a black man, but something's are not bigotry. As a comic book fan myself I'm sorry if I'm not impressed by another mantle passing down stunt by Marvel comics instead of either promoting other black characters on their roster, OR *shock city* creating a new character that is ACTUALLY interesting. Falcon was supposed to be the NEW Captain America, now Steve Rogers is BACK. Jane Foster was supposed to be the one and only Thor. Now the old Thor could be coming back with a new hammer. Do you see where I am going with this? We got a new Hulk and now a new Iron Man (or woman) in such a short span of time it's ridiculous! When Miles Morales became the new Spider Man in Ultimate, it made sense and was awesome, this whole process with Riri Williams just seems rushed!

And what is upsetting is that I really do want to like the character!

Maybe it's the fact that Civil War II has put a bad taste in my mouth, as it probably has done with a LOT of people.

Maybe it's the fact that Marvel has over saturated their titles with so much Mantle Passing, and not enough storyline that people are both disgusted and over it, like me.

Although I will admit, I do see the sense in Cho being the new Hulk. That doesn't mean I still don't want to bust Bendis upside his skull for killing Banner.

When Dick Grayson, Wally West, or even Damian Wayne and Jon Kent take mantles of say Batman, Flash or Superman people love it because there is history and storyline that justifies it.

When Freddy Freeman took on the mantle of Shazam after the trials there was a powerful storyline before that happened.

When Miles Morales became the new Spiderman, there was a powerful storyline behind the reasoning for it.

Aside from Riri Willam's building her own armor (which she is not the first to do), there's not much else of a connection between her and Tony, to justify why she is his obvious choice to make her the new Iron Man, and I can't help but think that they purposely killed Roadie (which was a real dick move) so that he had no other choice.

This is not bigotry, this is fans tired of Marvel cranking out crappy storylines that make no sense.

It's a sad day when the movies are getting better than the origin stories they came from.

HellSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HellSaint

@sumiladon:

When is change necessary actually? When things grow stale?

But when do things grow stale, it might not be stale to the readers so they don't want it to change. Fans hardly like it when even other white people take a mantle the only one I can recall people being actually cool with are Winter Soldier and like...Dick Greyson..I think thats about it really.

I'll admit it could be good, but you could bring something new to the table beside crying "Bigotry."

Avatar image for rescuemisspotts
RescueMissPotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want Hologram Tony Stark. I'll read this series solo for an A.I

Sumiladon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blue_son: What do you mean "actually" interesting. Again. Don't mask the overt bigotry here. You people aren't psychic. You are pathetically, masking obvious bigotry with an argument, that makes ZERO logical sense. You have NO idea the quality of the comic, or if it is not made because they have cool ideas for this legacy character and how it connects to the lore. All you see is race, and throw out trigger words like "forced", without any actual knowledge of the story or character itself.

Stop saying it made sense with Miles just because he is liked now. Because you and I both know, he got more shit than even Riri Williams did. The world lost its mind calling it "PC" and "Forced"....sound familiar? Same was with Ms. Marvel......even Moon girl to a lesser extent.\

Civil War 2's quality was just an opportunity to put blame on things completely irrelevant to Civil War 2's low quality to begin with. It has nothing to do with these legacy characters; most aren't even in the event. All of which have great reviews in all of their comics. It was just a badly written event.

The reality is it is race based. It is race and gender based because thats what people bring up before the comic even comes out, and rages against before the comic even comes out, and then makes claims that its not because of "good stories", BEFORE THE COMIC EVEN COMES OUT!!!! And then EVERY SINGLE TIME, the comic ends up being great!! Riri's first issue already has fantastic reviews and looks/feels amazing. But no, people have to rage about race and gender all the freaking time, before they accept it and love it. Mile's story was phenomenal in "HINDSIGHT", after people actually read it. Because when it first came out and before, people raged and bitched and moaned all about him being black and "forced". Stop saying how Mile's story was great as an argument before Riri's story hasn't even come out yet. It just makes the point more obvious.

Blue Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Blue Son

@sumiladon: First of all, you can't tell me what to say or do, because last I checked this is still a free country, even under Trump, and I am entitled to my opinion.

Secondly, you forgot that I did mention that I was black right? So there is no way I can be a bigot.

Third, if you don't believe that I am black, feel free to go to my website http://www.evouniverse.com/ , where you can see a clear picture of me. I happen to also write my OWN superhero stories with a diverse line of characters. So I think I know a think or two about telling a story.

That being said, you are also entitled to your own opinion, if you like Riri Willam's story as the new Iron Man, by all means buy it and support it, but just because YOU love it does not mean everyone has to because she's a young black woman, and it does not always mean it's racially motivated.

If people don't like the story, sometimes they just don't like it. And this is coming from someone whose had people also tell me they don't like my stories. It's not going to have EVERYONE biting at the bit.

Now you seem like a civilized and intelligent person driven by a bit of passion, so I am going to ignore a lot of your negative comments and treat you as such until you continue to do otherwise.

From a writer and fan perspective, the story feels extremely rushed. The two pivotal moments that you see between Stark and Riri is when A) He meets her in her garage and checks out her armor, B) when he beings her into battle against Captain Marvel in Civil War II issue 5, THAT IS IT. Oh, and the dialogue between himself and Mary Jane, when she asks him who Riri is and he says, "The future."

Now anyone who has EVER read an Iron Man comic book, knows after ARMOR WARS, Tony Stark does not trust his armor or his tech to just ANYONE. And now out of nowhere, he hands his greatest or most dangerous tech to a 15 year old.

Does that make ANY sense? Not to me.

The only thing that I will say about the first issue of Riri as Iron Man (which I did read), was that it was a nice save that Stark will now be her personal I.A. That makes up for her not having a mentor, which she is going to need.

I'm personally not a fan of mantle passing, especially when it is not done right. And I believe the reason Riri's story which could be an awesome one is dampered is because Marvel has done WAY too much mantle passing this past year alone. The minute you get use to one change BAM! Another iconic hero gets the axe and someone else has taken up his mantle, you can't blame people for getting a bit put off by it.

So when someone like Riri comes along, who could really be a great character and change to the story arch, people are not invested in her, because not only did they apparently kill off Stark, but they also killed off James Rhodes (who happens to be another awesome black character, and more deserving of the Iron Man mantle than ANYONE.)

So again, I argue this has nothing to do with race, but everything to do with Marvel dulling the senses of the reader by making so many damn changes for an obvious marketing ploy instead of putting out a good storyline that us as fans are both pissed off and put out.

Change IS good, when done right. And my opinion they could have done better with introducing a brand new Iron man.

Actually I think the character of Riri Williams DESERVES better.

In time people will probably get use to and warm up to Riri as the new Iron Man, but it's going to end real quick if by next year Stark magically comes back to life again.

But that should not stop you from reading it, if you actually like it.

I will also admit this, you do have some people out there whose opinion are only motivated by bigotry, race, and gender. They don't want to see a woman or person of color taking the mantle of an iconic white hero, you are correct about that.

But as we learned from the Trump election, not everyone who voted for him was a racist, even though a lot of them were.

And not everyone who is not a fan of the Riri storyline is a bigot either, you have to open your ears, listen to what people say and then weed out who is, and who is not.

I for one am for creating our own heroes, we as a race deserve more that to get someone's hand me downs, when we can create heroes that can be icons in their own right for us and our children to look up to.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blue Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:

"It’s the story that has the whole industry talking"

Yes, it is, and you know why? Because people see it as another example of Marvel making an unnecessary change, not for new interesting stories to tell, but just for the publicity and attention that'd come from it.

Why have Jane Foster become Thor? Was it to explore the deep and long relationship between the two characters and understand what makes Thor worthy while also giving Jane one last chance to do good in the world? No, it was so they could make Thor a woman.

Why make teen Iceman gay? Was it to create some interesting conflict and drama between the past and present Iceman and ask questions about living in different eras with different levels of acceptance? No, they just wanted to make a mainstream X-Men character gay.

Comic readers are not against diversity but we are against changing thing that didn't need to be changed and a company claiming to be diverse when it's really just being lazy and recycling and re-branding characters instead of putting in the time and effort to make new and unique characters that are heroes and villains in their own rights.

Amen. I agree 100% with this.

Sumiladon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blue_son: When did I ever say that people have to love her story? Direct me to exactly when I said anything even REMOTELY close to that. The fact that you resorted to such a completely left tangent "retort" only serves to tell me you are backed into a corner and finds my point valid. I never said you have to love her story. MY ENTIRE POINT has been the bullshit dislike and hatred of it JUST BECAUSE she is black, and then covering it by , making over claims of the "quality" of a story that hasn't even came out yet, calling it "forced", unlike the "natural" legacy characters, (white male), and not ones that are there just for "poltical correctness", because they aren't white males, and not because of a good story, despite it NOT HAVING BEEN RELEASED!!

How is it a "nice save", when her story wasnt even TOLD!!!!!?? It's again, people trying to reach and find problems, because they WANTED to find something to cling on to mask their overt bigotry over this black legacy character, that they otherwise knew NOTHING ABOUT!!!

Your argument that it happens too many times is ridiculously also intrusistically false. Again Miles got so much shit. And then Jane Foster immediately after. Both more hate than Riri, and two of the first. So it has NOTHING to do with it happening so many times before.

I do agree that they shouldn't just bring Stark back next year and give her at least, a few years holding her own, before Stark "obviously" returns.

HellSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sumiladon:

Here's the thing. Lets say James Rhodes wasn't killed, and Tony Stark did die but decided Rhodie (the dude whose been Iron Man before and no one seemed to complain) would take his place.

Do you think people would have been as angry? Admittedly people would be made that Stark died, but do you think people would be more okay with it because as a logical choice Rhodie makes more sense than some random teenager? Or do you really think everyone against these changes is just made because she's black?

True her story has not been told, but have you not possibly even tried to entertain the idea that maybe that's the problem? If someone was to replace Iron Man I'm pretty sure people would want it to be James Rhodes because he actually earned it.

I'm not saying there can't be some bigotry involved, but you seem to be assuming thats anyone's only reason and clearly with a lot of anger.

People are okay with Miles now because it ended up being good, thats how it is, people are allowed to make pre-judgements, and there's no reason to pretend Marvel didn't do it "because black" thats just wishful thinking and people can be made about that, its replacement for replacement and not earned, but it worked well enough. And I know you might bring in Falcon or whatever, but Bucky is and has always been a more natural choice to replace Steve.

People are not okay with Jane Thor because of poor execution, and of course its not okay to attack your fan base. Ever. People have been raising hell about comics forever over everything, it just so happens however that you seem to notice these.

So are you really attribute something simple to bigotry? Are you a mind reader? Do you know these people? You just seem to be angry.

xDemonxRebornx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xDemonxRebornx

I'll be honest out of all of the legacy mantles I've seen recently one of the only one that had a semi decent story or for better words, a reasonable explanation for handing down the mantle in Marvel has been between Wolverine and X-23. She is a clone of the original, trained to be much more of an assassin and ruthless killer than James yet found her own freedom and decided to take on the mantle of her original/father figure in her own way. It would have never made sense to give it to Sabretooth (though they went on to make him a good guy anyways which doesn't feel right at all that he would decide such a big change like that just because his favorite punching bag is no longer alive.) Daken is an obvious no, he's dead and he was already an evil Wolverine back during the Osborn's Avengers. But there is a standing history between Laura and James, she's fought with him, against him, beside him, learned from him, was practically his daughter. She was nothing more than a weapon constantly mistreated and mentally broken until Logan, so it makes sense that in his death she would take on his mantle and carry forward. But that took years of story and development, not just something on a whim, she grew into it. It's one mantle passing I really support, it reminds me of Batman and Robin, or Bucky and Steve. I think if they would've waited and let us get time to know Riri before hand or shown Jane in some form of fighting along side Odinson, something to grow off of. The only Legacy I really liked that hit us out of no where was Miles taking the mantle of Spider-man, it sounded a little lame out of no where there was a second spider, but I looked back at all of the other spider powered individuals and clones and etc and gave it a read anyways. It was nice having a character who had no previous connections or ties to Parker doing things in his very own way, it was unique, but to keep repeating the same gimmick so quick and fast, just seems watered down. It may cause people to not want to bother trying to read it in the first place in the case of Riri.

xDemonxRebornx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellsaint: A good example would be to look at the Robins, people were mad as hell over Jason Todd and didn't support it one bit until he got killed off, then people started to like him out of the blue and wanted him back. Next thing we know he get him back as Red Hood, sometimes people just don't like change at first and then look back and decide it grew on them. I agree with you on that, I didn't hear that much complaining about Damien taking the mantle because he was written in as Bruce's legitimate Son.

Blue Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Blue Son

@sumiladon: Dude...you got WAY too much anger within you man, you need to calm down before you pop a blood vessel.

First of all, if you read all the comments up top, NOT ONE person every said they don't like the character or the story because she was black or the a woman, and I read ALL of the comments TWICE before responding. So I don't know what you're so mad about.

Because someone said they don't think it's going to be a good comic?

Would you like me to link you to a couple of comments about The Totally Awesome Hulk, or Gwenpool? Are you going to also say that all of those comments are racially motived?

Would you like for me to run down how many legacy changes has taken place in such a short span of time?

Did you not see the part where I did agree with you and say that some comments are racially motivated? (Even thought the ones on here a currently not)

So why are you still in attack dog mode?

Why are you living up to the stereotype of an "Angry Black Person"?

Instead of listening, you're basically saying that everything I said up top is garbage and BS, and I apparently don't know what I am talking about, which I personally find offensive. Aside from the Tony Stark coming back in one year comment which you did agree with.

But that still tells me you are not someone I can hold a conversation with, because all you see is your point.

And if that is the case, there is no reason to continue this.

Am I right, or am I wrong?

One more thing, you might not have said that anyone has to love her story, but your out burst about everyone being bigots because some don't have anything positive to say about the book says "EITHER SAY YOU LOVE THE BOOK, OR KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT, BECAUSE IF YOU SAY ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT IT, YOUR ARE A BIGOT."

That is what your comments up top say. And that is what me, and a lot of readers are taking issue with.

Unless someone blatantly comes on here and says, "I don't want no ni**** as my Iron Man", or anything similar to that, you have NO RIGHT, to just accuse people of being bigots.

The beauty of this forum is its great diversity, and the freedom for fans to openly express their opinions and to enter constructive discussions without fear of being attacked or accused of being something just because they expressed their opinion.

You violated that code by calling everyone who gave a negative comment about the book a bigot, when there was no merit to accuse them of being a bigot.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34 the_stegman  Moderator

Phew. I knew these comments would be excellent.

HellSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xdemonxrebornx:

I thought the thing with Todd is that he only became awesome once he came back as Red Hood and was like the more hard-core batman.

Or that his death was just too brutal for more people, but I get what you are saying.

Comic fans can be fickle. I mean if Damien was just to suddenly become Batman people would be mad, but they are taking the time to build him like they are doing with Greyson.

Heck I don't remember anyone crying when Rene Montoya replaced the question because she earned it. Mantels have to be earned, its risky to just make someone up and you have to do it well, people will be made but they will adjust.

I attribute a lot of the recent anger doing a lot of its dealing terribly.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is just funny to read those buzzwords and hype these days. I just laugh at it and move on. Also, not touching anything that Bendis has ruined.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Iron Man armor is pretty easy to make isn't it?

jpatricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bl00dwerk: Interesting choice of profile pic then

xDemonxRebornx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellsaint: I mean I could be wrong but I thought they only brought him back after fans were upset that Todd was killed off. Another good example from DC side would be growing up watching Batman Beyond with Terry Mcginnis. I'm not saying a rushed out of the blue mantle swap is always going to fail, but doing it once in a while can be bold and refreshing. Marvel is just copy pasting the same tactic again and again and again until people stop buying the comics, then they'll abuse another tactic, they already did it with reboots (so did DC). An interesting mantle passing/ reboot would've also been blue beetle, they reinvented the character completely with a whole new character and power set since the original character I believe didn't sell well at all. I do think maybe new heroes and characters should be done as well so we don't try to compare them to old characters, but there is a fear from the companies that the new characters could not get a lot of readers or interest. I think that's why they are just handing down the torch with everyone, because without using the names that are familiar to new comic readers, how are they going to bring them in? They would have to rely on movies to interest people enough, or do as they are doing with the mantles to attract new readers, granted they should take proper steps and flesh out the reasoning and stories better, but I can see their side too, they need new people to be interested to make profit.

Avatar image for spiderhyphenman
spiderhyphenman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is enough to make Tony drink again!

No Caption Provided

Yes Riri's story could've been done better but the 1st issue was good and the story is different and i don't wanna see Rhodes as Iron Man again. I read that as a kid.

Bendis needs a chance here and i don't really like the guy's writing that much...well usually at first then it gets deconstructed to a snail pace.

These generational changes have always happened and some people are always going to feel left behind.

Marvel is in a damn if you and damn if you don't situation. If they don't deliver then at least let it be known that they have tried.

P.S. i don't like Jane Thor's story so far so i agree there but all of the other ones are delivering some great stories.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@aros001: How do you know it's not an interesting story to tell? You people complained long before hr first issue came out. When is there a necessary change? When it's a white male? You people make no sense.e It's bigotry. You just made an excuse to complain about any non-white male new legacy character by calling it forced, despite the comics always ending up great. Miles Morales, and now Riri Williams. Again, the comic has to come out, be good, and then you guys go...uhh okay sorry. Jesus Christ, you people's bigotry.

My reasoning is that because of how often that Marvel's done this re-branding of their characters I simply find it hard to believe that they are doing it because they have a good story they want to tell and that this change is the only way to really tell it. Like with the frequent event comics for both DC and Marvel, Marvel seems to just be using re-branding of their characters as a way to get a quick jump up in sales and in publicity.

And I could name a few mantle passing that I am okay with if you'd like.

There's the obvious one of Dick Grayson becoming Batman, because the two were possibly the earliest crime fighting partners in superhero comics and he's been with Batman the longest. Out of all Batman's past partners, Nightwing was easily the most worthy of carrying on the mantle.

Carol Danvers becoming Captain Marvel, for similar reasons to Dick becoming Batman. Her story was directly tied into Mar-Vell's. He was the reason she became a hero and they were partners and more to each other.

Kamala Khan becoming Ms. Marvel. She is easily my favorite new teenage superhero to date, mostly due to her being a huge superhero nerd (which I can relate) and the reason she took on the name Ms. Marvel was because Carol was her hero. True, she was completely unrelated to Carol or Mar-Vell, but the difference between her and Riri is that she DIDN'T replace Carol. She took on the mantle that Carol was no longer using and made it her own. Now we have both Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel to give us stories instead of one just overtaking the other.

Miles Morales becoming Spider-Man. While I admit I wasn't as into the Ultimate Universe by the time he came around, I was fine with him because he didn't replace the 616 Universe Peter Parker, who is my favorite superhero. And even now, with Miles in the 616 Universe, neither he or Peter are replacing the other but rather working together when the need calls for it.

And as a final note, Riri isn't the only one I have a problem with being Iron Man. I think it's stupid that Doctor Doom is also taking up the mantle. I get that he's trying to be a better person but it just seems like it's happening because they both wear armor. Like with Riri there just doesn't seem to be great enough a connection between Doom and Tony to make me think he's someone to be taking on the Iron Man mantle.

Cagnazzo82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Cagnazzo82

@snake_plissken said:

I'd like to thank Marvel for reducing the amount of Marvel comics I read each week so I have time for other titles.

I'm not thanking them. I think it's a damn shame what writers like Bendis are doing to Marvel's amazing legacy.

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Cagnazzo82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blue_son said:

I have one question... if her new name is IronHeart, why are they still calling her Iron Man? OR, why the heck don't they just call her Iron Woman?

Because sales still matter. Still gotta reel in the people mistakenly expecting stories about Tony Stark.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a3162faeafe3
deactivated-5a3162faeafe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idc about all this drama, I think the book looks interesting as someone who's been turned off from Ironman books since the first civil war. Tried again and got superior ironman:( I think it will be nice to see a version of Tony mentoring a new hero. It'll probably be the most mature and least self centered he's been in decades which is certainly interesting for me. Also like seeing new characters even if they are 'legacy' ones (at least at first). Looks neat.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Avatar image for deactivated-5f7ba9d87af36
deactivated-5f7ba9d87af36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Liked the first issue. Had its flaws but still good. I look forward to the next issue.

HellSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HellSaint

@xdemonxrebornx:

It could be. Its probably a mix of both really, but fans did vote to have him killed and its often considered one really good issue. I'm not sure.

True, I mean I get it its hard to get readers to read about new people so they have to play them in familiar role. Readers from the movies don't keep reading long so they have to keep hammering out tactic after tactic in order to drum up interesting. Its all business, but I just think Marvel is at the point where they can do business and still try to do things others won't do.

People keep talking about fresh-blood in comics, but the only companies who have the bravery to actually do it are Image and Valiant. Mantle changes aren't really bringing in anything new, its just applying a new coat of paint and sometimes that paint is pretty and shiny and lasts, and other times its ugly and peels almost instantly the moment you apply it.

Blue Beetle has had several mantel changes yeah. First one was more a thing, second one was where he picked up and The Blue Beetle family shows how a legacy line is really done (Except for that one thing that happened) , but most of all of his changes have been pretty good even those they just made a new person for. It can be done, it just has to be done well. I still mostly think mantels have to be earned though. However, I give the books a chance, but I get why people are angry...especially when Bendis is the writer.

Its good to bring in new people though, but you want people who will stay in good faith right?

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Cagnazzo82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:

@sumiladon: Miles' stories in ultimate universe were amazing, but now it's pretty much garbage.

See this is the thing. The Ultimate Universe was perfect the way it was. It should have never been combined into Marvel 616.

That's actually what's screwing everything up... and I'm not sure what was the logic behind it.

Everything Marvel is trying to do with characters like 'Ironheart', Miles Morales, female Thor, even the Inhumans replacing mutants would have made so much more sense if they just allowed them to exist in their own universe and work with a blank slate.

There is no logic in forcing these stand-in characters into the standard Marvel Universe and forcing all the legacy characters to die off, become evil nazis, become unworthy, etc...