First Look: HULK #1 With Jennifer Walters

• 139 results
Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4

Jennifer Walters has survived the Civil War, but not unscathed. OnDecember 28th, she rises from the rubble, re-entering the world as a different kind of hero in the brand newHULK #1! Today Marvel is pleased to present your first look inside the debut issue from Eisner Award-winning writer Mariko Tamaki (This One Summer) and rising star artist Nico Leon (Spider-Man)! Be there as they chronicle the ongoing adventures of Jennifer Walters – and bring you a Hulk book for Marvel NOW! the likes of which you’ve never seen before!

Following the traumatic events of Civil War II, Jen is determined to move forward, to go on with her life. But there is something bubbling under the surface. A quiet rage. The physical and mental wounds are still fresh. The pain of the past and all she’s lost is always there – an undercurrent, a pulse, waiting to quicken and trigger her transformation into the one thing she doesn’t have control over…the HULK! Jennifer Walters’ greatest battle is about to begin. One that will pit her against the monster inside. Can she control the rage that consumed her cousin Bruce for so long? Or will she succumb to it? Find out when Tamaki and Leon bring you the can’t-miss HULK #1 – coming to comic shops and digital devices on December 28th!

HULK #1 (OCT160788)

Written by MARIKO TAMAKI

Art by NICO LEON

Cover by JEFF DEKAL

Variant Cover by PIA GUERRA (OCT160791) and DALE KEOWN (OCT160789)

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER (OCT160794)

Hip-Hop Variant by RAHZZAH (OCT160793)

Classic Variant by JUNE BRIGMAN (OCT160792)

Young Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG (OCT160790)

ICX Variant Also Available (OCT160795)

FOC – 12/5/16, On-Sale – 12/28/16

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#1 Posted by BR_Havoc (1756 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh not much to get excited about with this preview. Seems they are stripping Jen of her personality which is the characters greatest strength and replacing it with trauma.

#2 Posted by Stellar421 (875 posts) - - Show Bio

And she still had time to put on her lipstick.

#3 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc said:

Huh not much to get excited about with this preview. Seems they are stripping Jen of her personality which is the characters greatest strength and replacing it with trauma.

Ehh... thats kinds been the premise of this ever since they announced it.

#4 Posted by BR_Havoc (1756 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc said:

Guess so, you think with the preview they would want to show doubters something to get them to pick the title up, This preview alone has me avoiding this title at all costs.

#5 Posted by MasterOfEvil (1671 posts) - - Show Bio

"and bring you a Hulk book for Marvel NOW! the likes of which you’ve never seen before!"

...We HAVE seen this before! Damn near every other Hulk book!

#6 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc said:
@outside_85 said:
@br_havoc said:

Guess so, you think with the preview they would want to show doubters something to get them to pick the title up, This preview alone has me avoiding this title at all costs.

The appeal should still be Jennifer and her personality, but now adding a big new wrinkle to it rather than another 'same old, same old'.

#7 Edited by wmarshal (572 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah the art isn't doing it for me, I know Jen has been through it thanks to the torture that is Bendis writing, but her just taking Bruce's spot is super lazy.

#8 Posted by casper4690 (704 posts) - - Show Bio

Garbage. Glad I dropped all of marvel Books. Still waiting for that marvel rebirth .

#9 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1715 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmarshal: Almost everything is super lazy with Marvel lately.

#10 Posted by BR_Havoc (1756 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc said:
@outside_85 said:
@br_havoc said:

The appeal should still be Jennifer and her personality, but now adding a big new wrinkle to it rather than another 'same old, same old'.

To Jen's fanbase her personality is her appeal. Her solo series are often more based in comedy. This preview we have art that is trying to show a sense of helplessness and depression, To show the character's trauma. As a She-Hulk fan I'm not interested in seeing this concept as an overall concept for a series, if it was an arc that is fine, but the writer has made it clear this is the theses of the series.

So the adding of a big wrinkle is in cost of parts of her personality that fans love. Stripping her of that to replace it with thoughts of isolation and anger that defined Banner. I can hope this series is not what the writer has stated in interviews and this preview shows, but I'm not going to buy it because there version is not something I don't care to read.

#11 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

"and bring you a Hulk book for Marvel NOW! the likes of which you’ve never seen before!"

And we saw it with Jen when she was first introduced in Savage She-Hulk. Yes she went through a lot in cw2, her cousin was murdered by one of her friends and the legal system she believed in let the friend walk with a smile and a cheer from the public, but in cw1 she went through Tony Stark shafting her (literally), at a certain point she's got to be trauma-d out.

#12 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

Does not look as promising as the other Marvel titles. But, it is about a Hulk. So, I will probably buy it.

#13 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc said:
@outside_85 said:
@br_havoc said:
@outside_85 said:
@br_havoc said:

To Jen's fanbase her personality is her appeal. Her solo series are often more based in comedy. This preview we have art that is trying to show a sense of helplessness and depression, To show the character's trauma. As a She-Hulk fan I'm not interested in seeing this concept as an overall concept for a series, if it was an arc that is fine, but the writer has made it clear this is the theses of the series.

So the adding of a big wrinkle is in cost of parts of her personality that fans love. Stripping her of that to replace it with thoughts of isolation and anger that defined Banner. I can hope this series is not what the writer has stated in interviews and this preview shows, but I'm not going to buy it because there version is not something I don't care to read.

And thats perhaps why she's never been able to maintain a solo book for very long unless you involve an industry legend and sex-appeal?

I didn't say they were stripping her of her personality, in fact I am pretty sure the book is going to feature her struggling to retain this personality. But now there's added more to it, sure it's come from trauma... but Marvel has always been big on their heroes actually struggling with stuff like this while DC's often just shrug it off and keep going unchanged and unfased.

#14 Posted by BR_Havoc (1756 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc said:
@outside_85 said:
@br_havoc said:
@outside_85 said:
@br_havoc said:

And thats perhaps why she's never been able to maintain a solo book for very long unless you involve an industry legend and sex-appeal?

I didn't say they were stripping her of her personality, in fact I am pretty sure the book is going to feature her struggling to retain this personality. But now there's added more to it, sure it's come from trauma... but Marvel has always been big on their heroes actually struggling with stuff like this while DC's often just shrug it off and keep going unchanged and unfased.

I hate to say it but, I think the reason Jen's solo's always struggle to sell is for the fact she is a B list character. Moon Knight, Howard the Duck, Black Panther, Winter Solider, Ghost Rider they have all had multiple solo series that never even came close to 60 issues but no one says hey those characters can't sell.

What are you talking about? DC comics really started the trend of decompressing the Superhero with writers like Moore ( Swamp Thing) and Morrison ( Animal Man). The only difference is that they remembered to build the character back up and managed to balance who the character was at there core. Something Marvel has been struggling to do as of late with all there main stays. They create big new status quo changes which now are just mantle changes to gain press.

Look lets not kid ourselves this volume of She-Hulk will not last long, before Marvel relaunches again as All New All Now All shinny Marvel.

Avatar image for staticspeedster
#15 Edited by StaticSpeedster (2817 posts) - - Show Bio
NOPE
NOPE
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for uncanny_xfactor
#16 Posted by Uncanny_XFactor (921 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, this is not gonna be good.

#17 Edited by SlimeBeherit (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Soule's She-Hulk was one of the first series I ever read and is what kept me interested in comics. This is clearly a different direction for the character, but I'd like to think characters can have a range to play around in. I mean Daredevil wasn't so serious until Frank Miller came around, and then Waid took it back to a more lighthearted tone, and neither are a betrayal to the character. Let's not pigeon hole characters. I'm giving this series at least and arc, and am ready to explore different facets of the character.

#18 Posted by Mooty_Pass (10258 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this looks good so I'll pick it up

#19 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

Utter shit

#20 Posted by Eto (5358 posts) - - Show Bio

That art uugh
Bring back Banner!

#21 Posted by illmatic4177 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

Art looks good, so I will pick up the first issue even if the premise is not that original. The reason is for the same reason I can tell so many of the people in here who make comments about Marvel probably don't read Marvel. It's because they are putting out a lot of really great comics right now. People that do not like all the changes seem to beat Marvel without even reading the books.

#22 Posted by IDontLikeBirds (873 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll give it a shot. I've seen them do a lot of comedy with She-hulk, and even focus on her legal expertise. It's not often we've seen her really break down from everything that's happened. It isn't until a person or character is pushed out of their comfort zone, that personality traits that typically define them, are tested and shown more through contrast. It's character growth, or at least I hope it'll be handled as growth and not just something cheap. We'll see in a few issues. I want to see that journey of her finding herself again.

#23 Posted by BR_Havoc (1756 posts) - - Show Bio

@illmatic4177: Dude two years ago I used to read 20 marvel titles a month. Now it's down to 4 and none of them are big titles. Marvel still has good books here or there but they are fringe titles like Moon Knight or Silver Surfer. There main title books are a bit of a mess due to editorial interference and pointless events derailing them.

I see this current relaunch going similar to how the last one did, Writers talking a big game in interviews saying there approach is different. Starting off with a strong first arc but then after that, we see art changes and quality slipping then before the 10th issue is out everything is shoehorned into an event and relaunched again after.

#24 Posted by 2cool4fun (2418 posts) - - Show Bio

Weird to see her in her human form, idk if I ever have in the comics. Her face looks hella weird in some panels, and kinda pretty in others.

#25 Posted by casper4690 (704 posts) - - Show Bio

@illmatic4177: I've dropped 13 books since all new all different garbage started . My last book was vision , which was excellent , while most of the others were meh. After 4 years of reading marvel, I am absolutely done with their gender bending race swapping bullcrap. Marvel needs some kind of rebirth, ASap

#26 Posted by Battle123axe (9408 posts) - - Show Bio

@eto said:

That art uugh

Bring back Banner!

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
#27 Edited by AtheistKnowledge (9595 posts) - - Show Bio

So basically all those complaints from Marvel how it's boring to see all the turmoil and struggle between Banner and Hulk, how it's depressive and overdone so they scrubbed Banner for a happy go lucky Cho.

Only to now LITERALLY do the same thing they have been doing with Hulk and Banner for decades, except now it's with She Hulk.

Go home Marvel you are retardedly drunk, bring back Banner as Hulk and tell the Hulk story you want and everyone else wants, we all know Totally Awesome Hulk selling only 25k copies a month just isn't cutting it. And we all know this She-Hulk book isn't gonna last long, barely reaching double digits before it gets canned.

@masterofevil said:

This.

#28 Posted by Rubear (4653 posts) - - Show Bio

#NotOurHulk.

#29 Edited by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@illmatic4177 said:

Art looks good, so I will pick up the first issue even if the premise is not that original. The reason is for the same reason I can tell so many of the people in here who make comments about Marvel probably don't read Marvel. It's because they are putting out a lot of really great comics right now. People that do not like all the changes seem to beat Marvel without even reading the books.

Great is a subjective conclusion, beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that. I'm not buying marvel right now for many reasons, the top 3 being cost (3.99 to 4.99, I stopped having that kind of spare money about two years ago), the grim and gritty ends justify the means philosophy that so many of the writers have embraced and the fact that with sights like this and others I don't have to buy the issues, I can get recaps and reviews that tell me what happened. With the style of writing that marvel (and for a large part DC) have adopted the only thing that is mostly in the stories right now are the stunts and the splash pages. They don't put a lot of story into the individual issue anymore and stories are far too padded to be worth it. Give it a few years and I'll fish the more interesting ones out of the .50 cent or the dollar bin. That much they might be worth.

#30 Posted by Darkmount1 (1535 posts) - - Show Bio

.....AAAANNNND this is one reason I do NOT like most of the present main Marvel Universe. Thank goodness I grew up with the cartoons first!

#31 Posted by WastelandMan (8826 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope after this inevitably bombs like Cho-Hulk did they'll cut the crap and give us back Banner.

#32 Posted by RegulatorJoe (66 posts) - - Show Bio

Love She-Hulk but I must say not sure I like the idea of her being like her cousin. I mean her being the in control Hulk was part of what made her great. I wonder how they are going to handle her "other side". It wouldn't make sense if she had a Banner like split of a personality so it would have to be something like Tourette or maybe sleep walking. I just hope they don't go the She-Hulk smash route.

Also didn't they do something like this in House of M. It seems I have seen this before

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
#33 Posted by StardustCrusader (3148 posts) - - Show Bio

As someone whose literally read everything with Jen in it, pass.

#34 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc said:

^ This

#35 Posted by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

This comment section.

No Caption Provided

#36 Posted by lionman (56 posts) - - Show Bio

looks awesome.

#37 Posted by donmeca2020 (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

Sooo apparently she won't be the fiery hot normal she hulk, now their taking a page out the incredible series and turning her grey, and now she'll be transforming into a actual savage? they apparently are really just running out of ideas.... Banner needs to come back, and i believe they should have continued with the whole Doc Green hulk, BUT NOOOOO they want to kill him off and now try to appeal to supposedly a larger audience by making hulk now she hulk, Iron man is now "riri", thor is jane, and wolverine is laura..... i'm glad my Marvel titles are starting to dwindle down abit. they have just been disappointing.

#38 Posted by IDontLikeBirds (873 posts) - - Show Bio

I JUST looked at the variants for this, and there is something I didn't notice before. She-hulk looks...gray. Should be interesting.

#39 Posted by lxlGiftedlxl (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

This is on the watch list.

#40 Posted by kgb725 (19720 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Edited by kgb725 (19720 posts) - - Show Bio

@atheistknowledge: Cho isn't happy go lucky and you shouldn't pass judgement on something that isn't here yet

#42 Posted by AtheistKnowledge (9595 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

@atheistknowledge: Cho isn't happy go lucky and you shouldn't pass judgement on something that isn't here yet

For the first few issues he very much was, it's later on that Pak introduced some drama with his parents, that's barely revisited. So yes i am gonna pass judgement, i am gonna pass judgement on the fact that Marvel are a bunch of hypocrites whining about Banner and his turmoil with Hulk, only to do the same goddamn thing with Jen.

#43 Edited by kgb725 (19720 posts) - - Show Bio

@atheistknowledge: Like the last 5 issues Cho hasn't been happy in the slightest.

How are they hypocrites

#44 Posted by Rubear (4653 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

@atheistknowledge: Like the last 5 issues Cho hasn't been happy in the slightest.

How are they hypocrites

Last 3 issues. And... because they killed Banner.

#45 Posted by AtheistKnowledge (9595 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

How are they hypocrites

Yes he has been, he also has mood swings where he jokes and is happy throughout the issue only to sob at the end or at random moments.

They are hypocrites because they wanted a change, they specifically said they where tired of the whole Banner/Hulk depressive dynamic, so they brought in Cho someone who is thrilled to be the Hulk, they had arcs with him that didn't amount to anything and felt like forced filler, in the next couple of issues he is for some reason gonna play basketball with Jeremy Lin because that's what i am looking from in my Hulk comic. And now they are doing the same thing with Jen and her Hulk side that they said they where tired off with Banner and Hulk, so yea they are hypocrites. Does this really surprise you this much?

#46 Posted by kgb725 (19720 posts) - - Show Bio

@rubear: You must not be counting the other books he's appeared in as well ? They're building up Cho's darkness instead of just hitting us with it all at once

#47 Edited by Rubear (4653 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

@rubear: You must not be counting the other books he's appeared in as well ? They're building up Cho's darkness instead of just hitting us with it all at once

Sure, they're building Cho's darkness.

No Caption Provided
#48 Posted by kgb725 (19720 posts) - - Show Bio

@rubear: Threatening carol, trying to see Hawkeye for whatever reason , breaking his promise to banner, etc.

#49 Posted by kgb725 (19720 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by Rubear (4653 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

@rubear: Threatening carol, trying to see Hawkeye for whatever reason , breaking his promise to banner, etc.

Banner is dead. This is not "building up darkness", this is "not letting go anger yet".