• 48 results
Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA THE RAY REBIRTH #1

No Caption Provided

(W) Steve Orlando (A) Stephen Byrne (CA) Ivan Reis, Joe Prado

SPINNING OUT OF THE PAGES OF JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. SUICIDE SQUAD! Locked indoors, raised in the dark and told his medical condition could be fatal to himself and anyone he meets, Ray Terrill is dangerous. A freak. Broken. Or is he...? Witness the amazing power of realizing your true self and stepping into the light in this moving rebirth of a long-lost hero for a new generation.

One shot

RATED T

NOV160187 In Shops: Jan 18, 2017 SRP: $2.99

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#1 Posted by Marcus_Crowne (1484 posts) - - Show Bio

Intriguing!

#2 Posted by z3ro180 (8778 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow that mom is horrible

#3 Posted by the_stegman (40195 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the few DC characters I know nothing about! I'm down!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d
#4 Posted by deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d (289 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait...what happened to the other Ray? The 4 part miniseries? Lucien? I mean, I have most Freedom Fighters runs, Justice League Taskforce, Uncle Sam, and The Ray series' and all, I know Raymond well. But They just kind of made Lucien and tossed him out and never went anywhere with it.

#5 Edited by NightFang3 (12362 posts) - - Show Bio

So is this Ray gay, like in the animated show? I'm just wondering.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@Opalance said:

Wait...what happened to the other Ray? The 4 part miniseries? Lucien? I mean, I have most Freedom Fighters runs, Justice League Taskforce, Uncle Sam, and The Ray series' and all, I know Raymond well. But They just kind of made Lucien and tossed him out and never went anywhere with it.

Yeah I liked that mini.

#7 Posted by RaunJisto (480 posts) - - Show Bio

This one looks really interesting.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
#8 Posted by thatguywithheadphones (19859 posts) - - Show Bio
@z3ro180 said:

Wow that mom is horrible

What? She's not bad at all, she's just in an extremely sh*tty situation.

#9 Edited by BlueHope (2681 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

Wow that mom is horrible

Not an excuse to threat your sick lonely little kid like that, "you maybe killed him!" even though he it was not his fault.

#10 Edited by thatguywithheadphones (19859 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluehope said:
@thatguywithheadphones said:
@z3ro180 said:

Wow that mom is horrible

Not an excuse to threat your sick lonely little kid like that, "you maybe killed him!" even though he it was not his fault.

I feel like people who say stuff like this have a slightly unrealistic standards to hold parents to. Realistically, how do you think a single parent(it seems like she's single) would cope with something like this. It also doesn't help that Ray clearly hasn't accept the severity of his situation (he still asks for candle) so yes, his mother is a most likely one edge, understandable so. She's only human.

#11 Posted by apg103 (210 posts) - - Show Bio

looks like Gaston from beauty and the beast on TV

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#12 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15917 posts) - - Show Bio

These are great

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
#13 Edited by 51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral (380 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

I will shower DC with my hard earned money if it meant I could be the first person to pick up this one-shot. It won't happen, but still, I'm so. Freaking. Excited.

This is one of my favorite comic book characters ever. Back when he had his pre-52 series, he was basically DC's Spider-Man; a poor, down-on-his-luck teenage superhero whose horrible luck, but charming personality and clever mind managed to get him both out of, and into trouble. There's him, and there's Static, and since Milestone's going to be (apparently) doing their thing with Static, I'm going to run over anyone who gets in my way over to the comic shop to pick this up. I've already asked them to put one aside for me since, as it's a one-shot, it can't be put on a pull list.

"SIR, YOU HIT MY SON."

"HIS SACRIFICE WAS NOT IN VAIN. I GOT THE FIRST COPY. He was a good kid."

No Caption Provided

#14 Edited by redwingx (1359 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the only RAY!

No Caption Provided

#16 Edited by Mooty_Pass (9883 posts) - - Show Bio

OK I know nothing of this character and i'm already stuck to him. I"M ON BOARD. That mother is B.

I'm getting this.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
#17 Edited by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Always been a fan, and I like the looks of this

Avatar image for handofprometheus
#18 Posted by HandOfPrometheus (881 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved his solos and thank god DC is focusing on more B/C list characters. That new 52 ray could dissappear for all I care.

#19 Edited by kidchipotle (15763 posts) - - Show Bio

@redwingx:

@Opalance said:

Yeah I liked that mini.

They trashed the other Ray like they're trashing the New 52.

#20 Posted by onyxwave (75 posts) - - Show Bio

The original Ray, designed by art extraordinaire Joe Quesada, had such a cool character design, and that original mini series was a good read. Nice to see that they are going back to that look and that character who I think can be an awesome character if handled properly.

#21 Edited by fk_eduardo (3 posts) - - Show Bio

So is this Ray gay, like in the antedated show? I'm just wondering.

Yes. This Rebirth's Ray is gay.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightfang3 said:

Different Ray.

@bluehope said:
@thatguywithheadphones said:
@z3ro180 said:

Wow that mom is horrible

I feel like people who say stuff like this have a slightly unrealistic standards to hold parents to. Realistically, how do you think a single parent(it seems like she's single) would cope with something like this. It also doesn't help that Ray clearly hasn't accept the severity of his situation (he still asks for candle) so yes, his mother is a most likely one edge, understandable so. She's only human.

She seems like an asshole to me.

#23 Posted by w0nd (6803 posts) - - Show Bio

@Opalance said:

they keep rebooting/retconning these characters, no explanation

#24 Posted by SpitfirePanda (2573 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks interesting.

#25 Posted by phillip33 (4148 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't ever read anything DC, but this has got me so interested in might have to buy it!

#27 Posted by NightFang3 (12362 posts) - - Show Bio

@kid_omega_prime said:

@fk_eduardo said:
@nightfang3 said:

wait what ? since when was Raymond Terrill gay ? or did you mean the other ray Lucien Gates ?

He's gonna be gay in the CW Seed show and Grant Morrison made him gay in a few comics.

#28 Edited by fk_eduardo (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@kid_omega_prime said:
@fk_eduardo said:
@nightfang3 said:

wait what ? since when was Raymond Terrill gay ? or did you mean the other ray Lucien Gates ?

There were many versions of the Ray. The Ray in the Multiverse story of Morrison was gay.

This Ray in Rebirth is new version of the character and he's gay.

He'll also appearing the CW universe on animation form, and it was confirmed gay too.

#30 Edited by NightFang3 (12362 posts) - - Show Bio

@kid_omega_prime: I was asking if he was gay, i'm not saying he is. Either way i'm reading the comic.

#31 Edited by fk_eduardo (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightfang3: @fk_eduardo: ok let me see if I got this right. The ray in new earth is straight and the ray in prime earth is gay ? Ok then let me ask this then. How do you know if prime earth ray is gay ?

http://www.comicsbeat.com/nycc-16-the-ray-is-reborn-now-even-gayer/

#33 Posted by 2cool4fun (2418 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, alright, alright, I know this is not the New 52 Ray, but is he the original Ray, or is he just another completely new character?

And also, where is everyone getting this info that he's gay? ( also Ray being Gay, sounds like an intentional joke, the rhyming potential, I mean COME ON XD )

#35 Posted by foxerdes (10170 posts) - - Show Bio

That mom...

#36 Edited by Veus_Aleusse (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Ray Terrill! He's one of my favorites and the character that kinda got me hooked on comics back in the 90's. So, to give a little info for the curious:

The original Ray is Happy Terrill, an older character that was basically from an earth where the Nazi's won World War II. He was a member of the Freedom Fighters of that world.

In the 90's they brought back THE RAY in the form of (our favorite!) Ray Terrill, son of Happy Terrill. He really was a sort of Spider Man of the DC Univese. Young, naive, clever, etc. He had phenomenal power, but felt like a loser because he lost his family, crushed on a girl but couldn't get her, and lived in a crappy apartment with no refrigerator, plus it didn't help that he was being manipulated by a number of things. At one point he was at least pen pals with Black Canary and kinda crushed on her too, before she married Green Arrow. His series is a fun, great read with heart. (written by Christopher Priest who is currently writing Deathstroke if you want a taste of his subtle, fun, twisted family drama storytelling).

Flashpoint changed everything and gave us the New 52 (that I have mostly enjoyed), but even before Flashpoint, THE RAY was not used well and tended to fade a bit. We were pretty excited to see a new Ray in the New 52, with slightly different powers, but some loved him, some didn't. We were pretty sad that we lost Ray Terrill.

The Grant Morrison wrote Multiversity. Now, he's quite a fascinating storyteller. Back in Final Crisis he gave Ray Terrill a small part, and frankly the character had rarely ever seemed so cool and heroic. I believe Grant Morrison loves these characters genuinely. So, in Multiversity he revisited the earth where the Nazi's won World War II (frankly that story is one of the coolest parts of Multiversity). It was important to him to emphasize that the members of the Freedom Fighters on that world all represented disenfranchised peoples and cultures damaged by the Nazi/Oppressive ideal. So characters like Uncle Sam showed the disenfranchisement of the American Spirit of individualism and self-rule, Black Condor the disenfranchised Native Americans, etc. ... So, though it was never specifically spoken of within the Multiversity story, Grant Morrison made it clear that he considered The Ray of that earth to be Gay, representing that particular disenfranchised group, being reflective of some of the things the Nazi's did.

So, this brings us to today. Much of the comic book community loves or even worships Grant Morrison. If he, as a creator says it can be cool... well, the people with the money might try to make it cool. Add to this that DC Comics has made specific efforts to add various gay and ethnic characters to show off the diversity of its universe and storytelling.... and suddenly THE RAY, a cool character all by himself is being given a Rebirth treatment where now he is gay.

I really don't care if he's gay or not, but I'm very excited to see that DC Comics seems poised to give some cool, fun attention to has character. Plus they tend to be smart in making any of their characters revolve around the cool things they do, and not revolve purely around some category that makes them some political trophy.

From what I've heard so far (and I want to hear more if anyone knows anything):

THE RAY (Ray Terrill) gets a one-shot in JLA: Rebirth: The Ray.

He gets to be a member of this new JLA, which could end up being super cool. (my fingers are crossed)

He is headlining a short cartoon series on CW Seed, starting in early 2017.

His cartoon series is partially intended to introduce the character well enough that he can be transferred to the DC Television Universe (aka: The Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl)

Thanks for reading! I hope you all found this fun to read and useful info.

#38 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@thatguywithheadphones: Oh please. This woman is playing the victim when she's not the one imprisoned in his own home.

Trying to make her feel bad?

Calling Ray stupid.

Blaming him for what happened to Caden?

And I think Ray understands the situation. But there's more to life than living. There's quality of life and his doesn't look that ideal.

On topic of the book, love the costume. Like the character so far. It almost makes me sad that I won't be reading JLA. More characters I dislike than like. But I do want to see more Ray.

#39 Posted by thatguywithheadphones (19859 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv:

Oh please. This woman is playing the victim when she's not the one imprisoned in his own home.

No. She's the one who has to look after the one the one imprisoned in their home. She's the one who has to make sure he doesn't kill himself, her, and anyone else among basic mothers duty. Also, considering she didn't just drop the cake off and leave, she's just as imprisoned as he is. Why is so hard for people to be empathetic to adults or parents?

#40 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@thatguywithheadphones: Because it's hard to sympathize with someone who probably can't do the same with their own child.

I can get, most of the time, where parents come from. The Kents for example. Or even Super-powerd dads like Superman.

But for everything this woman said, realize there's a better way to go about saying these things and she chose, what I feel to be, the wrong way.

Avatar image for superkryptonian
#41 Posted by superkryptonian (209 posts) - - Show Bio

This was probably the worst comic I've ever read in a long time

#42 Edited by khaosklub (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv

that's because the mother is supposed to represent a homophobic parent dealing with their homosexual kid. It's a comic about being gay, not about a super hero. after this preview part, everything is just nonsensical garbage. pure unadulterated SJW narratives and everything that happens is just metaphor. it's just about gay, not about a person who happens to be gay who has super powers, nope, it's about gay.

@superkryptonian:

agreed

#43 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@khaosklub: I disagree. I never got homophobic from the parent. Just a lack of patience and understanding of how her son felt.

And if you consider this book to be SJW narratives, then they make great storytelling points. It hardly registred Ray was homosexual and dealt more with his freedom and acceptance of his abilities as opposed to his preference in dating. Ray is really the only reason I'm considering reading JLA.

#44 Posted by khaosklub (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv:

Yeah, it's the gay narrative being pushed down your throat.

The comic was completely about him being gay, first thing he thinks about after timeskip is how it's hard to be normal, hard to find a guy.

The badguys attack for no real reason, they are intolerant and against tolerance when caden just mentions crime. Him appearing is him coming out as gay, it's all about the struggle of coming out as gay. He did no superheroing at all except for turning a guy naked.

It started out looking good as a dealing with a power he couldn't control story, except he could control it the moment he went outside, and was accepted the moment he showed up, and faced a harmless minor foe, and we are then treated to random couples at a theatre for no reason other than to push diversity and homosexuality on the reader.

There's nothing wrong with a gay superhero, but this is a story of a gay guy who happens to be a superpower. Simply a gay wishfulfillment story.

#45 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@khaosklub: Why though, do you make it seem so bad that diversity and homosexuality are included? Do you have an issue with those things? Because those don't make a book inherently bad. You can't push those things on a person anymore than heterosexuality is pushed in Batman anytime he's on a rooftop or Green Arrow anytime Black Canary is on-panel.

And you make it seem like you can't tell both stories at the same time. Coming out as a hero and a gay man, learning to accept and be proud of your abilities and sexuality, a lot of that goes hand-in-hand.

#46 Posted by khaosklub (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv:

"There's nothing wrong with a gay superhero, but this is a story of a gay guy who happens to be a superpower. Simply a gay wishfulfillment story."

Repeated for emphasis.

Batman is not heterosexual... until he meets catwoman, because it matters situationaly. Could batman be considered homosexual in most issues taken on their own? Yes, because it's not a story about a heterosexual man who happens to fight crime. It's about a man who embodies vengence who happens to be a rich playboy. Nothing about that implies hetero nor homo sexuality. He could be bisexual for all you know. The batman I know tends not to have time for relationships and pushes women away. They could easily write him as a conflicted homosexual? I mean, he collects boys, right?

The point is, diversity and sexuality don't matter, not in a superhero story, especially when they don't actually matter to the story.

Does ray's sexuality matter to him being a super hero? No. If he were straight, would the story have changed? Aside from 1 word, no. If you took that theatre scene out, does the story change? No. Nothing is gained by it's addition nor lost by it's exclusion.

You want to make a story about coming out? Why is he a super hero? It fails at both addressing homosexual issues because ray avoided all of them and won with god powers, and superhero issues because there is no real conflict or threat to ray. He spends his adolecense at home alone, then spends time invisibly condescending towards a humanity he just discovered. He just comes out to protect his crush and pretends it has more meaning. He's no more than just a bodyguard in this issue.

The bad guys motivations make no sense within the story and isn't addressed by anyone. It's just pushing a political narrative that one must be aware of outside the book to understand where it comes from!

Summary of issue. Boy allergic to light keep indoors in the dark, grows up, goes out into light, turns into a god, turns invisible while pining for his crush, finds crush and becomes visible to save crush from random unprovoked assault be C grade baddies. The end.

Whether he is homo or hetero has no real bearing on anything that happens, just determines caden's gender. Diversity also had no bearing. He faced no real homosexual issues. Everything was simply metaphorical, so no one cares.

It's hard to empathise with gay god

#47 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@khaosklub: You're right. Batman could be bi. But until we see some substantial evidence of this, we've mainly seen him boning women with no romantic/sexual feelings with men.

Batman has been around for decades and he's been with many women in that time. You can't seperate Bruce and Batman because to do so implies his sexuality has no baring on him but it is a part of him the same as it is anyone.

But then that also asks if you look at these as either ideas or characters. I think you lean more toward ideas which are fluid in many aspects and that's a valid interpretation. But you'd be wrong. Batgirls are a thing. My point being I like to think of these characters as being people more than ideas (they're ideas to an extent.) Think of how diverse the world is.

These things matter because these stories take place in a world based on our world. So it has to reflect that. Diversity matters as much in comics as it does the real world if it wants to reflect our world, which it does.

And every coming out is different. You saw that Ray never seemed to go home after he left. Many people can't after coming out. But not every homosexual is lucky like Ray to be able to not need food or go anywhere. And you're right. Ray was never really a threat. But keep in mind this was a one-shot. An intro to who The Ray is.

And have you never met an intolerant bigot? A lot of them don't make sense. And you can't go looking for the logic in intolerance cause you won't find any. There are people just like the guy in this book. They're a lot like the Vice Squad in Green Arrow if you want an admittedly better representative.

And why does something being a metaphor make it less meaningful? Animal Farm was an allegory and was pretty meaningful. And not every hero will resonate with everyone. I can't relate to Batman because I'm no white, billionaire, trust-fund baby despite the fact we're both heterosexual men with dark hair. That's fine if you can't empathise with Ray. Someone can though.

#48 Posted by khaosklub (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv:

We don't need evidence unless a writer wishes to deal with that conflict. Batman boning women is just as forced as everything in this comic. It's usually unecessary and takes away from the story.

In a lot of cases, batman is essentially raped, especially by talia.

Bat girls tend not to be collected by batman.

No, comics do not have to reflect our world, that's the point. Diversity should never be thrown in without purpose. It is simply there to virtue signal.

Yeah, it introduces ray, god with no probles.

Yes, there are noth intolerant bigots on both left and right, both nationalists and sjw's hate me for who I am. While sjw's might attack me on sight, nationalists would have to know about me first. The bad guys in this comic were meant to represent patriots with the stars and stripes symbolism and overt anti tolerance message, it's the sjw view of every white male. We have no idea why they are attacking caden, why he was there, why talk of crime triggered them. It was pure overt politics. It was just racis against white americans. If you made them black panthers saying the exact same things, then the comic would be banned.

We empathise with bruce wayne because his parents died due to crime. He is a normal man going above and beyond to fight crime. Being a billionare isn't a major part of his character. It's a plot device. Iron man, green arrow and batman. Normal people tend to need to be rich to have gadgets. You couldn't have a poor batman, he'd just be a martial artist who wouldn't make the cut for the jla.

It's not about the identity of the man, but what he stands for. What does ray stand for? From this one shot "no one touches my man". Caden was talking about rampant crime in the city, but caden didn't step up until someone threatened his crush, then just get's excited about making men naked. There's no ideal there, nothing to admirable, nothing noble. Just white knighting in the friendzone.

Now if caden turns out gay too (which is implied, explosions seemingly representing orgasms, so they fooled around as kids, pedophilic metaphor), and friendzones ray, making him clean up the city to help him win the election, maybe do some morally questionable activities, then you have a story. But that doesn't seem likely to happen, rather just sjw propaganda where the writer gives himself god powers and embarasses those he doesn't like

#49 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@khaosklub: Batman has had consensual sexual encounters before. And you're right. We don't need proof, but we have it. And there was Cassandra and Stephanie. Batman did train Barbara too.

And comics do represent our world. You can say they don't, but they do. Take a look at Suicide Squad or Aquaman and you'll see President Barack Obama. In the coming years, you'll probably see Trump if the president is seen again. And the population doesn't need a reason to be diverse. Look at New Super-Man. Everyone is Chinese. Because that's how it is in China. In America, where many books take place, crowds tend to be more diverse. If you need a reasons, look at the world around you. Even you probably see a diverse mix of people daily. I know I do.

You're generalizing. A lot of Warriors are perfectly fine with white men. A section of white men would probably react as you saw. But that was one guy in a crowd full of white people. A minority. And he did state his point. Caden wants to change his city. The guy didn't like that. Are you going to try and defend attemped assault? And that wouldn't have been racist, unless every white guy in the crowd was portrayed that way. They weren't. Ray and Caden were white.

And you empathize with Batman because that's how you perceive him. He's far from normal. He's a world-class genius, world-class athlete, survived impossible odds, pulled off feats no normal human could, runs a successful business, and knows every martial art on the planet.

Guys and gals like Richard Dragon, Cassandra Cain, and Conner Hawke are what Batman would be if he were poor and they'd make great JL members. Half his gadgets are easy cake for Cyborg to replicate. His brain is the only reason he makes the cut, which Cyborg, Flash, and Superman could replicate as well.

And on the flipside, you could say, Ray doesn't let intolerant people attack other, innocent people. And if this were an ongoing, I'd agree with you. However, for a one-shot, there's nothing wrong with a nice, tidy, happy ending. Someone actually wanting to do good and embarrass the intolerant sounds less like Propaganda and more like how you fight the intolerant. By doing good and embarrass the intolerant.

#50 Posted by khaosklub (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv:

Saying that it contains elements from our world so it represents our world is not different from arguing that it contains elements not from our world and is thus not representing our world.

A better arguement is that mutiple worlds are represented in both marvel and dc, so they aren't ours and do not have to be similar on any given facet.

New superman has no diversity, everyone is chinese, and that is fine, because the story calls for it.

Nothing in this is narrative driven. Just put into a book with a loose narrative to string it together.

Why was caden a target. I'm not defending the assualt, it just makes no sense why it happened. We are told nothing, but it was obviously planned.