Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided

IRON FIST: THE LIVING WEAPON #3

(W/A/CA) Kaare Andrews

K'UN LUN IN RUINS!

• Ninja nurses versus killers in suits!

• Our villain's face revealed, and it's one terribly close to Danny Rand's heart!

Item Code: APR140713 In Shops: 6/4/2014 SRP: $3.99

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Lei Kung is a beast.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I keep saying I'm going to drop this, and I don't know why because after every preview I decide I have to pick it up. I love his very different style of art and the colors. It's weird looking but weird in a really cool way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Awesome.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't get it, why does DC get so much sh!t for making characters dark and edgy while this book gets a free pass?

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler: There's nothing wrong with dark and edgy but I find alot DC books have that same feel and thats why the get flaque for it. Plus as far as dark and edgy go this is a very unique kind, the dialogue of the his past has a lovecraftian horror sound to it.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eamon542000: That's not what I'm going for. People complain that DC made characters dark and edgy yet here we have Iron Fist, a character who historically isn't dark or edgy moping about his dark and depressing nightmares and no one complains about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler:

Mostly comes down to EVERYTHING in DC being dark and edgy. If someone doesn't want to read dark and edgy Iron Fist they got lighthearted Ms.Marvel or She-Hulk or Spider-Man etc Marvel gives so much variety DC doesn't and not just in tone either lately period DC has been lacking in any variety.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewalkingdeadpool18: Again, that's not what I was going for at all. People use the "that's not how Shazam Captain Marvel (or whoever is the character we're talking about at the moment) is supposed to act!!" excuse when judging certain DC books but when it comes to Iron Fist, no problem there at all. I guess since people never read an Iron Fist comic in their lives it's perfectly fine to ignore previous continuity. At least DC has the excuse of a reboot.

Also, one of DC's lighthearted books, Larfleeze, just got cancelled. So much for readers wanting to read less serious stuff, eh? Support what you demand.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler:

I hear ya Smashbrawler since nobody really cared much for Iron Fist previously atleast cared enough for Iron Fist to care how one writer treats the character. Captain Marvel is a beloved character to some people for some reason. But also if it works for the character. A character based soley on Martial Arts plus considering his origin dark really works for Iron Fist. Captain Marvel is about a 10 year old who met a magic wizard who gave him superpowers the concept of CM isn't really dark it's the opposite from dark. If dark doesn't work for the character people will complain about the comic. Also the Shazam comic book period is a mediocre comic.

IDK what to say about DC. Marvel is able to have such succsess with variety in tones and characters giving tons of B and lower list character solo series why DC doesn't have sucsess trying it IDK. But DC still doesn't try nearly hard enough when it comes to variety and when you try the variety make it....you know...a quality comic. But Dc is DC.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jerome Opeña+Dean White=Best you can get.

Metron144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone notice the arashikage symbol on kung's chest?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewalkingdeadpool18: No, that's a garbage excuse. If you're going to work in DC or Marvel you need to work with continuity. You can't just ignore previous characterization just because it fits you. The fact is, Danny Rand wasn't going around moping about his dead parents and horrible life and such, hell, he even turned his company into a non-profit organization so the beginning of this book makes no sense either.

DC didn't even turn Captain Marvel into a dark comic book, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about there. And yeah, a mediocre comic book, that's why it has such raving reviews, because it's mediocre. Cut me a break.

DC has tried variety before, they've done comedy books, they've done war books, they've done fantasy books and even fringe stuff like Dial H. But, of course, they're not trying enough.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler:

Oh...you're just a DC fanboy....continue on with your DC fanboying somewhere else.

How many DC comics are dark and edgy? Pretty much all DC comics.

How much of the New 52 is crap? Over half of the New 52.

How many characters are getting solo series at Marvel? Pretty much 2 characters a month are getting solo series. How many is DC giving solo series to? Oh that's right if you're not in the Batfamily or Supsfamily DC basically says FU.

Shazam great reviews? Since when has the Shazam series been getting good reviews? The backlash to that solo series is mostly negative backlash. Also Iron Fist has been getting amazing reviews so what's your point?

DC has tried variety? LMFAO

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewalkingdeadpool18 said:

@smashbrawler:

Oh...you're just a DC fanboy....continue on with your DC fanboying somewhere else.

Yayyyyyyyy fallacies! Ad hominem! Making assumptions! You know, for a very, very brief moment I thought you were going to actually provide a worthwile debate. Nope, mistaken! So glad you let me know not to waste any of my time "debating" with you. I'll still adress your next "points" because it'll probably be quite fun.

Yeah, I still can't forget that issue of Green Lantern where he graphically curbstomped that pimp. Man, all DC does nowadays looks like a Mark Millar comic book!

So... what does that have to do with the topic at hand? The answer is nothing. Nothing at all.

How many characters are getting solo series at Marvel? Pretty much 2 characters a month are getting solo series. How many is DC giving solo series to? Oh that's right if you're not in the Batfamily or Supsfamily DC basically says FU.

Yes, because DC should give everyone a solo book and not care about making money. Boy, and for a moment I thought we lived in a capitalist society. Whew!

Shazam great reviews? Since when has the Shazam series been getting good reviews? The backlash to that solo series is mostly negative backlash.

http://www.amazon.com/Shazam-Vol-The-New-52/dp/1401246990

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17671918-shazam-vol-1

Gee, how awful reviews! They sure are taking it apart eh? I mean, four and five stars out of five reviews? "The new 52 incarnation of Shazam is excellent"? "The story is just plain fun, with a great supporting cast, and many nods to the long history of the character while still giving it an updated feel"? Man, that even hurt me!

Also Iron Fist has been getting amazing reviews so what's your point?

Uh... the point I already brought up? The point I already explained in detail? You know, the whole "Danny Rand is acting completely OCC in this series, which even ignores important parts of previous continuity"? But you probably never read an Iron Fist comic book in your life, so I guess this series is totes cool for you and screw the previous fans.

Yes, ignore my previous point with very weak mocking. I guess Men of War, Blackhawks, GI Combat, I, Vampire, Demon Knights, Resurrection Man, Frankenstein, The Green Team, The Movement, Threshold, Sword of Sorcery, Dial H, All-Star Western and the upcoming Star Spangled War Stories never existed.

Needlebay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC doesn't have variety? What the hell is All-Star Western, Green Team, GI Zombie, Movement, soon to be Forever People, numerous mystic books that outnumber Marvel's, Larfleeze, which is funny at time, etc... DC has plenty of variety.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By eamon542000

@smashbrawler: Exactly it a new unique way of looking at this character, whereas at DC they've been doing this same thing for awhile now and its starting to get old. I feel Marvel realizes that with these C and D list characters you need to make the book unique and not use the same formula. If you use the same generic formula why would someone both to read a book with that character when they could read a book with a more well known character in a similar setting. With Ghost Rider you have this urbanized occult setting, Elecktra has gorgeous art to help tell a more visual story, Magneto is similar to nazi hunting detective movies from the 70's(Boys From Brazil) and I'm not even sure what genera Moon Knight is(BUT I LOVE IT). I feel that this is why Marvel is having success with these lesser known characters and DC is struggling, DC isn't incapable of doing this(look at Lemire's Green Arrow) but I get the feeling that DC's editors are scared to try thing like this and revert back to the same formulistic approach.

Needlebay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel has been cancelling a bunch of C and D listers as well. Morbius for example didn't last long. Eventually, they will cancel books like Moon Knight and Iron Fist again, then reboot them. That's what Marvel has been doing.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Hmmmm, not much to say about this one. It looks too cereal and the art doesn't excite me.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SmashBrawler

@eamon542000: It's not a "unique way", it's out of character, plain and simple. And Iron Fist was never generic before, ever.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler: its a unique way of protraying the character and if you read Matt Fractions run on Iron Fist, I'd say this is well with realm of his character

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By feedonatreefrog

What books at DC are 'dark and edgy' again...? I feel like there's only a small handful (Constantine, Justice League 3000, Red Hood, Future's End?)

staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

@thewalkingdeadpool18 said:

@smashbrawler:

Yayyyyyyyy fallacies! Ad hominem! Making assumptions! You know, for a very, very brief moment I thought you were going to actually provide a worthwile debate. Nope, mistaken! So glad you let me know not to waste any of my time "debating" with you. I'll still adress your next "points" because it'll probably be quite fun.

Yeah, I still can't forget that issue of Green Lantern where he graphically curbstomped that pimp. Man, all DC does nowadays looks like a Mark Millar comic book!

So... what does that have to do with the topic at hand? The answer is nothing. Nothing at all.

Yes, because DC should give everyone a solo book and not care about making money. Boy, and for a moment I thought we lived in a capitalist society. Whew!

Shazam great reviews? Since when has the Shazam series been getting good reviews? The backlash to that solo series is mostly negative backlash.

http://www.amazon.com/Shazam-Vol-The-New-52/dp/1401246990

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17671918-shazam-vol-1

Gee, how awful reviews! They sure are taking it apart eh? I mean, four and five stars out of five reviews? "The new 52 incarnation of Shazam is excellent"? "The story is just plain fun, with a great supporting cast, and many nods to the long history of the character while still giving it an updated feel"? Man, that even hurt me!

Also Iron Fist has been getting amazing reviews so what's your point?

Uh... the point I already brought up? The point I already explained in detail? You know, the whole "Danny Rand is acting completely OCC in this series, which even ignores important parts of previous continuity"? But you probably never read an Iron Fist comic book in your life, so I guess this series is totes cool for you and screw the previous fans.

Yes, ignore my previous point with very weak mocking. I guess Men of War, Blackhawks, GI Combat, I, Vampire, Demon Knights, Resurrection Man, Frankenstein, The Green Team, The Movement, Threshold, Sword of Sorcery, Dial H, All-Star Western and the upcoming Star Spangled War Stories never existed.

I love this response so damn much.

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

loving this book!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler: Iron Fist ha always been kind dark, he's only written all light an fun in other people's books also this and Moon Knight are the ONLY dark books Marvel has.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By feedonatreefrog

Not enough dark books at Marvel.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've been enjoying this so far. Looking forward to the next issue.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SmashBrawler

@eamon542000: Meh, I don't see it. Anyway, at least I'm glad I'm talking to someone who has read Iron Fist before. You have no idea how hard those are to find.

@staypuffed: I try.

@jonny_anonymous: Don't get me wrong mate, while I agree that Iron Fist has never been about super fun and lighthearted kung fu adventures (although give the title to Mark Waid and that's what you'll probably get...) I don't remember Danny being this brooding and mopey (and yes, I know they're almost the same word but MAN does he brood in this series). There's no reason you can't have a non-dark protagonist in a dark series.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@eamon542000: Meh, I don't see it. Anyway, at least I'm glad I'm talking to someone who has read Iron Fist before. You have no idea how hard those are to find.

@staypuffed: I try.

@jonny_anonymous: Don't get me wrong mate, while I agree that Iron Fist has never been about super fun and lighthearted kung fu adventures (although give the title to Mark Waid and that's what you'll probably get...) I don't remember Danny being this brooding and mopey (and yes, I know they're almost the same word but MAN does he brood in this series). There's no reason you can't have a non-dark protagonist in a dark series.

Danny is only broody in his inner monologue, the way he speaks to people is pretty much exactly the same. Something can't be out of character because even the happiest of people go through rough patches.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SmashBrawler

@jonny_anonymous: But I don't get what caused it? Did his grandma with cancer die in a horrible fire at an orphanage or something? It's just so unexpected.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler: He's spending to much time in his own head, it's not an uncommon thing.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler: He's upset Luke Cage didn't invite him on his Avengers team :P

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I still want to squish Danny and wipe those tears away. Poor little guy.

@smashbrawler: Exactly it a new unique way of looking at this character, whereas at DC they've been doing this same thing for awhile now and its starting to get old. I feel Marvel realizes that with these C and D list characters you need to make the book unique and not use the same formula. If you use the same generic formula why would someone both to read a book with that character when they could read a book with a more well known character in a similar setting. With Ghost Rider you have this urbanized occult setting, Elecktra has gorgeous art to help tell a more visual story, Magneto is similar to nazi hunting detective movies from the 70's(Boys From Brazil) and I'm not even sure what genera Moon Knight is(BUT I LOVE IT). I feel that this is why Marvel is having success with these lesser known characters and DC is struggling, DC isn't incapable of doing this(look at Lemire's Green Arrow) but I get the feeling that DC's editors are scared to try thing like this and revert back to the same formulistic approach.

Great run down as to why these Marvel books are getting great reviews. Just wanted to say that.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hislolita: Thanks, DC is fully capable of doing this too and I hope they do