• 51 results
Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

ILLUMINATI #1

(W) Joshua Williamson (A) Shawn Crystal (CA) Riley Rossmo

"Bad guys win every day... why not us?"

How do the villains of the Marvel Universe live in a world where the sky is constantly filled with heroes? What do they do when they want out of that life? There is no escape. No future. Who saves the villains? The Hood believes he might be that savior. He wants everyone to have a place at the table. Now all he needs to do is build his army... Featuring Titania, Mad Thinker, Thunderball, Black Ant and Enchantress, Illuminati is a tale of villains just trying to survive in the All-New All-Different Marvel Universe.

Rated T+

Item Code: SEP150695 In Shops: 11/11/2015 SRP: $3.99

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#1 Posted by Cloakx14 (9136 posts) - - Show Bio

interesting.

#2 Edited by galeme (1090 posts) - - Show Bio

That illuminati gave me cancer.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw the name really rubs me the wrong way, I just can't get over it.

#4 Posted by MaxSavage (186 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Fist with the Bon Clay pose lol

#5 Posted by Dernman (25981 posts) - - Show Bio

They want us to by this but give us art like that?

#6 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

How will an Illuminati run by the bad guys be any different than the Illuminati run by the good guys? I doubt very much the Hood is going to start blowing up planets.

#7 Posted by The_Scourge (5341 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

I was strongly considering picking this up. After this preview with that art, surely not picking this up.

#8 Edited by Cloakx14 (9136 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: the art, its not that bad. i've seen worst, trust me.

#9 Posted by JewishDork (498 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan of the art. Do not like Iron Fist in gray. Prefer his white costume.

#10 Posted by mikey776 (153 posts) - - Show Bio

So is this gonna be like secret six or something

#11 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

There are plenty worse looking books out there. Got more of a problem with some of the designs tbh, Titania (on the cover) looks like Rosie the Riviter, and Enchantress... well if it was all white we couldn't tell her from Emma Frost.

#12 Posted by kidchipotle (15763 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

I was strongly considering picking this up. After this preview with that art, surely not picking this up.

#13 Posted by slade_wilson (776 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't understand the art hate. Reminds me a lot of Tradd Moore, whose art I just adore. There's plenty of crappy art out there, even some that makes this look like an Alex Ross painting.

#14 Edited by Ramior (425 posts) - - Show Bio

The art is great, is not photorealisme bullshit, that is real comics art.

Plus villain group are generaly great and I hope the cast expand and include villain from the X-men verse.

#15 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikey776 said:

So is this gonna be like secret six or something

I don't think so. Gail Simone's Secret Six was almost an accident the way it took off, no one was looking so she got a chance to do some really interesting character development. I don't see marvel being able to do that sort of thing. Also the SS operated in a world where the bad guys were really different from the good guys, in the mu that really isn't the case.

#16 Posted by RavenKingXXX (244 posts) - - Show Bio

when is the trade paper back already. the art is moe than alright(get over it people, not everyone is a picaso, and not everyone does art the same). The concept sounds like a great idea. Also what is wrong with them using illumanti for a name, it's not like the hero's illumanti was around for that long.

#17 Posted by Lordhuck (105 posts) - - Show Bio

Art hurts my eyes.

#18 Posted by suitied (41 posts) - - Show Bio

this gonna get cancelled

#19 Posted by HercuThor (270 posts) - - Show Bio

That art is vomit inducing

Avatar image for supremehyperion
#20 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1811 posts) - - Show Bio

not at all impressed by the variant covers, pretty bad compared to others we have seen recently.

As far as the book itself, I think it could be good if they do it right. I'm all for villain driven titles (we definitely need more)

#21 Posted by BR_Havoc (1756 posts) - - Show Bio

The art is not bad at all. It may be a little over the top for this concept but there is no reason people should be saying it's making them vomit and other things.

I have high hopes for this book and I think WIlliamson has a good grip on the concept, I really liked what he had to say in the interview he did with this site.

#22 Posted by the_stegman (40195 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I've seen worse art, but the concept doesn't get my interest at all.

#23 Posted by donmeca2020 (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like another bland title.... im giving it 5 issues and done.

#24 Posted by zackattack93 (112 posts) - - Show Bio

So its a ripoff of The Rogues.

#25 Edited by Darkmount1 (1535 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeesh, everybody's a critic! What's wrong with cartoony art? Who are you to judge, ye who have probably never taken an art class in your lives? Give'em a shot.

#26 Posted by Stahlflamme (5733 posts) - - Show Bio

I like more or less nothing I see in this preview... Sad...

#27 Posted by batarangbamz (167 posts) - - Show Bio

Since Ghosted's conclusion I've been look forward to more from Williamson so I'm intrigued to get more than what the solicit is saying. Another creator owned project was what I wanted but he'll prolly keep his darker tone like he did recently with Red Skull, which I very much enjoyed. As far as the art goes I don't see anything wrong with it, reminds me of a cartoon.

#28 Posted by Ramior (425 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeesh, everybody's a critic! What's wrong with cartoony art? Who are you to judge, ye who have probably never taken an art class in your lives? Give'em a shot.

#29 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

We are the consumer, the art is part of what draws us in, if it doesn't suit individual tastes why should we purchase it? The art does matter or else Marvel (and DC) wouldn't hire the most popular artists to help them sell certain series by having them design covers for said series.

#30 Posted by LordRyus (178 posts) - - Show Bio

Concept doesn't interest me, art does nothing to nudge me to pick up an issue just to try it out, and that redesign of the enchantress is the final nail in the coffin to me.

#31 Edited by adamTRMM (9155 posts) - - Show Bio

Just because you want a villain team to have an attractive and fancy title, it still won't make them the "Illuminati". If you want a Marvel Earth "classic villains" Illuminati you'll need Magneto, Doom, Loki, Kingpin, Mandarin, Baron Mordo, maybe some influential demon and AI who will "play by team rules". Can't see Apoc, Red Skull or Ultron play by said rules though albeit being classic.

But, mostly none of these characters are in a shape for such team up, either dead or played heroes so long the line between it and their villainy is hard to determine these days. For better or worse.

I think Priest got the best idea of what Illuminati of Marvel Earth should be, not that he called them with such a title, but the concept where Kings, Presidents, Leaders, simply Rulers of various states heavily involved in super-powered definitive activity and elitism, assemble to determine world's fate, is the closest and most reflective thing I can think of when the title "Illuminati" is being used.

#32 Posted by hiddeninhell (47 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen:By actually trying to help/rescue people*

*Any individual (supervilains) (un)justly persecuted by the law (whether they asked for, or are at all willing to accept said help is irrelevant) who poses skills or talents which may be of use to the illuminaty.

#33 Posted by longbowhunter (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

Loving the Paul Pope cover.

#34 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

*Any individual (supervilains) (un)justly persecuted by the law (whether they asked for, or are at all willing to accept said help is irrelevant) who poses skills or talents which may be of use to the illuminaty.

In other words draft who you need, leave the others to take their chances. But I really can't easily call to mind one hero in the mu who hasn't been hunted by the law at one time or another. This is just to me another supergroup that'll do what it wants, when it wants so long as it has enough power, luck and intelligence not to get caught at it. I don't expect any more moral standards from this Illuminati run by the Hood than I expected from the Illuminati run by Iron Man. There just isn't going to be that much a difference, at least not in the level of arrogance.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
#35 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (4701 posts) - - Show Bio

@lordryus said:

Concept doesn't interest me, art does nothing to nudge me to pick up an issue just to try it out, and that redesign of the enchantress is the final nail in the coffin to me.

I really want to give it a chance. I think the cover art needs to match the interior art - what looked stylistic on the cover looks very sloppy inside. LOL Enchantress is slumming it hanging out with these guys, but she has a lot of bodyguards now so snaps to that.

#36 Posted by LordRyus (178 posts) - - Show Bio

@lordryus said:

I really want to give it a chance. I think the cover art needs to match the interior art - what looked stylistic on the cover looks very sloppy inside. LOL Enchantress is slumming it hanging out with these guys, but she has a lot of bodyguards now so snaps to that.

Well, to each theit own. Hope you enjoy it. I however will be hoping it gets canceled, not out of spite (even though the title =/= to the content theyre selling, should've been a play on Masters of Evil like Masters of the disenfranchised by the justice system (a mouthful, I know)) but since there are so many characters I like here who I'd rather see in other series and I don't want them tied up here.

#37 Posted by Ramior (425 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm said:

Just because you want a villain team to have an attractive and fancy title, it still won't make them the "Illuminati". If you want a Marvel Earth "classic villains" Illuminati you'll need Magneto, Doom, Loki, Kingpin, Mandarin, Baron Mordo, maybe some influential demon and AI who will "play by team rules". Can't see Apoc, Red Skull or Ultron play by said rules though albeit being classic.

Oh please, stop using the same A list character, there are plenty of B or C list character who need to shine and you can do more thing on this type of character then A list character.
#38 Posted by adamTRMM (9155 posts) - - Show Bio

@ramior:

That's fine, but it ain't no Illuminati. That's the only point I was trying to make.

Now if they will try to become Illuminati via artifacts, powerups, pacts with the devils and deals with the gods, or any other shady activity and purifications, to prop themselves up (that alternate cover style, but narratively), then I can at least let the title grow on me. But as it stands, these D-listers and Illuminati are antonymous :p

#39 Posted by Ramior (425 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm said:

@ramior:

That's fine, but it ain't no Illuminati. That's the only point I was trying to make.

Now if they will try to become Illuminati via artifacts, powerups, pacts with the devils and deals with the gods, or any other shady activity and purifications, to prop themselves up (that alternate cover style, but narratively), then I can at least let the title grow on me. But as it stands, these D-listers and Illuminati are antonymous :p

Why is the problem whit the fact to calling him Illumati, is no't like is was a popular super heros group, plus is the same group who do horrible thing.

Plus is the book himself who count not the name and the character.

#40 Posted by Maddpanda531 (1635 posts) - - Show Bio

nope

#41 Posted by Viginator (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the premise, but not the name, art, or Mad Thinker with a beard.

#42 Edited by adamTRMM (9155 posts) - - Show Bio

@ramior said:

Why is the problem whit the fact to calling him Illumati, is no't like is was a popular super heros group, plus is the same group who do horrible thing.

Google Illuminati and see what I mean. Then if you still don't get it, there's nothing more I can add.

Heroes in the Marvel world ARE Illuminati, they decide and dictate the world's fate. It's not just about the labels, it's about influence and power behind them.

#43 Posted by Ramior (425 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm said:
@ramior said:

Google Illuminati and see what I mean. Then if you still don't get it, there's nothing more I can add.

Heroes in the Marvel world ARE Illuminati, they decide and dictate the world's fate. It's not just about the labels, it's about influence and power behind them.

Since Iluminati make more bad thing then good thing, I don't have a problem to having a villain group take this name.

#44 Edited by ianrogers (189 posts) - - Show Bio

like a 12 gauge shotty

#45 Posted by DD208 (573 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

My exact thoughts. I was looking forward to this book but now that i've seen it I think i'll pass.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
#46 Posted by medulaoblaganda (2280 posts) - - Show Bio

not interested

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
#47 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (12493 posts) - - Show Bio

ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED
~MiB

#48 Posted by hiddeninhell (47 posts) - - Show Bio

@hiddeninhell said:

In other words draft who you need, leave the others to take their chances. But I really can't easily call to mind one hero in the mu who hasn't been hunted by the law at one time or another. This is just to me another supergroup that'll do what it wants, when it wants so long as it has enough power, luck and intelligence not to get caught at it. I don't expect any more moral standards from this Illuminati run by the Hood than I expected from the Illuminati run by Iron Man.** There just isn't going to be that much a difference, at least not in the level of arrogance.***

**same thing I said just more straight forward and less sarcastic.

***Though I refrained from pointing the egos thing since it was a comparison against a group containing "shining examples" of modesty as Tony Stark and "King Namor ruler of all oceans" but that's just a reason this couldn't work together long term, assuming any of their members is capable of the occasional bout of "not complete" self interest.

#49 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen said:
@hiddeninhell said:

In other words draft who you need, leave the others to take their chances. But I really can't easily call to mind one hero in the mu who hasn't been hunted by the law at one time or another. This is just to me another supergroup that'll do what it wants, when it wants so long as it has enough power, luck and intelligence not to get caught at it. I don't expect any more moral standards from this Illuminati run by the Hood than I expected from the Illuminati run by Iron Man.** There just isn't going to be that much a difference, at least not in the level of arrogance.***

**same thing I said just more straight forward and less sarcastic.

***Though I refrained from pointing the egos thing since it was a comparison against a group containing "shining examples" of modesty as Tony Stark and "King Namor ruler of all oceans" but that's just a reason this couldn't work together long term, assuming any of their members is capable of the occasional bout of "not complete" self interest.

I wonder if Tony Stark is secretly manipulating the Hood, much like Lex Luthor and Amanda Waller did to the Secret Six over at DC.

#50 Posted by Uldogi (21 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks interesting even though I don't think I'll really enjoy the art.