Exclusive Preview: Batman #21 "The Button" Part One

• 112 results
nightwingdg143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Cannot wait for this. The (inevitable, right?) confrontation between Dr. Manhattan, Mr. "Oz" (We all know it's you, Veidt!) and Batman and Flash will be epic. Pumped for this. Am I foolish, hoping the pre-52 universe will ever return completely?

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YES YES YES

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: read them. READ THEM. READ! THEM!

mechhead42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol "quite the reverse..."

btmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

@maddpanda531:

Busies up already perfect designs imo.

I don't think any design is perf... well maybe Captain Marvel's :3

One of the worst parts of New 52 for me was that Jim Lee designed everything and he just put random lines on everything.

I love those designs, I still have a very vivid image in my head of seeing them for the first time, having a real stunned emotional reaction, and that being the moment I wanted to get into comics

Even now this still makes me marvel

Plus the lines add symmetry. If you've ever seen some of the videos of him talking about artwork, Lee puts a lot of emphasis on using mathematic aesthetics into his artwork. Which I like since I feel good art should be more than just talent.

Though I suppose I'm biased because I think the classic spandex designs are perfect, as is.

I never got the feeling that many (if any) of them were actually made from Spandex

As for the designs, I'm old school so I love them too, but a lot of them just don't work with today's ultra detailed modern art styles. And that's kind of how it should be, while there are exceptions, part of the fun of comics is seeing the different changes and new approaches brought on by different eras and influences of different times.

Very well said, If there would have been an upvote button in comment section, I would have upvoted your answers thousand times.
Perhaps we can also say that Jim Lee's redesign for New52 made all the DC characters look cool and relatable to the modern world as well as older readers, if everyone can be little bit open minded.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@btmt said:

@captainmarvel4ever:

@captainmarvel4ever said:

@maddpanda531:

One of the worst parts of New 52 for me was that Jim Lee designed everything and he just put random lines on everything.

I love those designs, I still have a very vivid image in my head of seeing them for the first time, having a real stunned emotional reaction, and that being the moment I wanted to get into comics

Plus the lines add symmetry. If you've ever seen some of the videos of him talking about artwork, Lee puts a lot of emphasis on using mathematic aesthetics into his artwork. Which I like since I feel good art should be more than just talent.

Though I suppose I'm biased because I think the classic spandex designs are perfect, as is.

I never got the feeling that many (if any) of them were actually made from Spandex

As for the designs, I'm old school so I love them too, but a lot of them just don't work with today's ultra detailed modern art styles. And that's kind of how it should be, while there are exceptions, part of the fun of comics is seeing the different changes and new approaches brought on by different eras and influences of different times.

Very well said, If there would have been an upvote button in comment section, I would have upvoted your answers thousand times.

Perhaps we can also say that Jim Lee's redesign for New52 made all the DC characters look cool and relatable to the modern world as well as older readers, if everyone can be little bit open minded.

Agreed, I think that's why I was drawn to them. They had such a sleek and cool look, but at the same time I was really enamored by how they kept a lot of the classic elements of the looks alive, like it really felt like a celebration of just how amazing the characters are.

I also agree that fans can be kind of close minded sometimes, and I really think that hurts comics as a whole a lot of the time.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By righteous300

Really considering ditching my lab so I can get to the comic store early for this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang3:

1. just because this is a 4-part crossover doesn't mean it stops with this crossover and DC has already come out with the details of this being the start of its next major phase and how continuity reboot/shift occur as a result.

2. for the "God" comment....."Last year, DC changed their comic continuity with Rebirth. The one-shot issue brought the characters back to their core, while alluding that something or someone more powerful was behind the alteration to the universe: Doctor Manhattan from the critically acclaimed book Watchmen"........Doctor Manhattan has been revealed as the hand at the beginning of time and the creator of the DC universe; thus by extension he is the "God" of the DC universe. Hence, the comment.

3. "That would probably kill the western comics industry. It really sounds like you should just stick with Manga"........why would it kill the western comics industry? So much of what has kept DC and Marvel afloat past the mid-90's was in changing their business models and looking to outside influences to. From the emergence, and staying power, of third party comic companies, the rise of superhero movie popularity to general audiences, and the shift to periodic tie-ins and company wide crossovers......the standard practice of churning out years to decades of solo title adventures is not what has kept western comics alive these past 20 years. In a way the western comics industry has benefited from all the changes much like the personal computer market took off when companies other than IBM entered the market. Had it not been for Apple, Compaq, Dell, and others we'd never have gotten the exponential increase in personal computer capability we enjoy today. If not for third party providers, superhero movies, and crossovers/mega events western comic book numbers would likely still be at their 1995-ish low, a time when most thought western comics would be gone by the end of the decade.

Yet even with these industry changes the influence and general popularity of eastern manga has risen, with the last 5-10 years being a vast growth compared to previous acceptance in the west. Is it surprising, then, that DC and Marvel have more and more embraced crossovers and company wide events that have a self-contained story feel and generate maximum public demand and profit over a short period?

Not to mention the push by DC and Marvel, seeing that sales are slumping on established characters despite pushing more and more titles with them into the market, is starting to shift those established characters to new versions, younger versions, gender changes, etc.... in order to "reboot" what stories they can tell? I mean, after you defeat characters that can kill gods and mortals become gods themselves (ala Incursion and Secret Wars 2) where exactly can you go with a number of characters after that? How many times can DC reboot the same people and give us the same villains in relatively the same stories before sales just don't support it anymore?

Conclusion: The traditional western comic put out by DC and Marvel has already started to change, requires more outside sources and limited events to keep it afloat, will be hurt more by the reliance of continuity than be benefited by it going, and nothing in a "manga style" of production will hurt the amazing writers and artists ability to create stories and give us amazing works. I'd argue it would, overall, actually help the industry because writers and artists will no longer be hampered by DC and Marvel continuity constraints and allow a "renaissance" (used loosely for the purpose of describing change vice a direct comparison) of western comics and reader enjoyment.

lukum123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomkatie: So the Flash that was in Flashpoint is from the original universe? or the New 52?

AfrinAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001: just the Batman issues Joshua Williamson is doing the Flash

AfrinAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltbrd: You must be thinking of Marvel lol

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: Lol I got so hyped from this preview

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afrinaddict: partly. My comments are not solely DC related. While the popular opinion is DC doesn't do the crossover march like Marvel does DC has still churned out Zero Hour (including all tie-ins), Green Lantern: Rebirth, Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis (including all tie-ins), 52 (including all tie-ins), Countdown to Final Crisis, Final Crisis (including all tie-ins), Flash: Rebirth, World of New Krypton (including tie-ins), Flashpoint, Rebirth, Trinity War, Forever Evil, Darkseid War, Convergence and now The Button and wherever this crossover goes from here (yes I'm missing events and storylines....its just an example list).

That's not to mention the 3 Superman origin reboots, multiple Year Zeroes, smaller crossovers like The Lightning Saga, having stories bounce between multiple titles (like when you'd have to read Action Comics, Man of Steel, Adventures of Superman, and Superman to get the whole story arc), etc.....

All of that has been in a roughly 20 year span. Consider all that and then compare it to the 60-ish years before that. Huge difference even in DC though Marvel gets the more public rap for such a change.

Avatar image for jesusdisciple001
jesusdisciple001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By jesusdisciple001

It looks like the flash is in reference to the silver age story where he fought samurais on an island, cool.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, Thawn will be dead...again...permanent this time. You don't rip Batman's father's letter and get away with it.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Maddpanda531

@btmt said:

@captainmarvel4ever:

@captainmarvel4ever said:

@maddpanda531:

Agreed, I think that's why I was drawn to them. They had such a sleek and cool look, but at the same time I was really enamored by how they kept a lot of the classic elements of the looks alive, like it really felt like a celebration of just how amazing the characters are.

I also agree that fans can be kind of close minded sometimes, and I really think that hurts comics as a whole a lot of the time.

Really appreciate the "close minded" comments. I'll definitely keep that in mind next time I think it's a good idea have a different opinion from people lol

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@maddpanda531:

Really appreciate the "close minded" comments.

Oh sorry, didn't mean anything by that. Honestly I wasn't even thinking of you when I typed that part up, and I truly mean no offense by it.

WizendSage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RF better kill Batman after ripping up that letter, because if he doesn't, the Bat will break him.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maddpanda531:

Really appreciate the "close minded" comments.

Oh sorry, didn't mean anything by that. Honestly I wasn't even thinking of you when I typed that part up, and I truly mean no offense by it.

It's cool, I was just joking. Assumed you weren't talking specifically about me haha

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already wanted to read this, but knowing that Reverse Flash is involved, now I NEED to read this. And I'm confused about how that letter is still around. How does Bruce remember ever even getting it?

thedude95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool.

I'm just glad the site is still alive, hope it gets back on it's feet soon and gets as good as it used to be!

Best comicbook site ever.

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'M SOOOOO HYPED FOR THIS!!!!!!!!

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been waiting on this arc for a while now, hopefully we get some answers on this DC/Watchmen thing. Tho I suspect we'll have even more questions once it ends

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this is going to sound like a nitpick (it probably is) but I don't know why they added the timer. It's a cool concept (since I'm guessing when it gets to zero Flash will appear and all) but it also makes no sense if you think about it. There's no way Bruce is able to say that much in just one second. Unless among his amazing training over the years he has learned how to talk at absurd speeds.

I don't know, I guess I'm just being nitpicky. It's just that I'm currently working on some comics myself and I'm looking into visual narrative a lot, and this just doesn't make sense to me.

Avatar image for captainomnitron
CaptainOmnitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Figgs216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

i have a feeling that this is gonna sell out quick

misterJE3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yay!!!!

Elpizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltbrd: You do know manga has not be doing that well as a whole, right?

SlymPeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nooooooooooooooooooooo !

Can DC let the Watchmen peaceful?
The best comic ever, let them die, live & make their way far from any other comic / paper / story...

And Alan Moore is surely mad about this. Again, I feel sad for him.

RIP Dr Manhattan's original world. :-[

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

What a spectacular waste of everything, nothing, NOTHING happened in this comic.

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, Thawne you Jerk.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks interesting

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#88  Edited By TDK_1997

What a spectacular waste of everything, nothing, NOTHING happened in this comic.

Nothing happened and yet, somehow, this is King's best issue so far imo.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Black_Arrow

@tdk_1997 said:
@entropy_aegis said:

Nothing happened and yet, somehow, this is King's best issue so far imo.

I really enjoyed this issue. It was simple but pretty awesome. Though I can't believe how ridicolous King's Batman is.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: Yeah, I loved what happened in it. In a way it showed us a Batman who is trying to enjoy the simple things, as a hockey game, while solving a mystery. Of course the best part of the issue was how he managed to counter-attack Thawne and actually survive against him.

If King actually wrote this issue on his own, without Williamson's help, I must say he is stepping up his game a little.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

@black_arrow: Yeah, I loved what happened in it. In a way it showed us a Batman who is trying to enjoy the simple things, as a hockey game, while solving a mystery. Of course the best part of the issue was how he managed to counter-attack Thawne and actually survive against him.

If King actually wrote this issue on his own, without Williamson's help, I must say he is stepping up his game a little.

Yeah I really liked that. All of the scene with Thawne is amazing because of the amount of pressure there is. Of course most people would argue that this shouldn't happen (the fight between Batman and Eobard) but It was pretty awesome anyway.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

Yeah I really liked that. All of the scene with Thawne is amazing because of the amount of pressure there is. Of course most people would argue that this shouldn't happen (the fight between Batman and Eobard) but It was pretty awesome anyway.

Yeah, there's already a thread here in CV that is complaining about that exact thing. However, one can say that Eobard Thawne was playing with Batman the whole time and just wasn't really trying to exactly kill him because if he was trying to he could've done it way faster than in a whole minute. But still, it really was PIS but it was really cool at the same time, so I don't really care.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@lukum123: Rebirth is not a reboot, everything that happened in new 52 is canon, and apparently, pre 52 is as well, only that it was all changed by manhatten, so canon pre 52, yet also kind of doesn't matter I guess?

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this issue. Definitely King's best issue, and really makes me excited for the rest of this storyline.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:
@black_arrow said:
@tdk_1997 said:

Yeah, there's already a thread here in CV that is complaining about that exact thing. However, one can say that Eobard Thawne was playing with Batman the whole time and just wasn't really trying to exactly kill him because if he was trying to he could've done it way faster than in a whole minute. But still, it really was PIS but it was really cool at the same time, so I don't really care.

Yeah. My biggest critism is that while the timer was really cool, there were some actions that didn't make a lot of sense in the time span that It took.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:
@black_arrow said:
@tdk_1997 said:

Yeah. My biggest critism is that while the timer was really cool, there were some actions that didn't make a lot of sense in the time span that It took.

Which ones exactly are you referring to?

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Most of the ones where Reverse Flash is running. He is barely using his super speed (If he is using it at all because some movements were covered by Batman on the same time span)

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Most of the ones where Reverse Flash is running. He is barely using his super speed (If he is using it at all because some movements were covered by Batman on the same time span)

Yeah, that is true but the same logic can be applied to it as to the moment where Batman punches RF - comic books.