Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman recently ticked off Bane in a pretty big way. More information on what's been going on here. Check out the preview for next week's issue.

BATMAN #16

No Caption Provided

(W) Tom King (A/CA) David Finch

"I Am Bane" part one! Bane is coming for Batman. Bruce must keep those he loves safe for five days in order to save Gotham Girl once and for all. But Bane will stop at nothing, and no one is safe.

RATED T

DEC160259 In Shops: Feb 01, 2017 SRP: $2.99

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#1 Edited by 2cool4fun (2418 posts) - - Show Bio

I really wonder sometimes how Tim went from everyone's favourite Robin, to the only one the writers seem to exclude or not care about that much.

Either way, I'm excited for this, and hoping that cover means Cat & Bat's relationship gets better, iykwim c;

#2 Posted by iro (126 posts) - - Show Bio

@2cool4fun: I'd say tim's drop in popularity is thanks to what the new52 did to him (him and the rest of the 90's kids). and it really really saddens me. some other factors play a role in it too, no doubt, but that's the biggest part, I think.

on an unrelated note; is that the male version of vixen?

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
#3 Posted by GustavoBurciaga1 (652 posts) - - Show Bio

@iro: @2cool4fun: Tim is "dead" from what everyone is lead to believe. And no that's Bronze Tiger, skilled martial artist and at times an assassin, though usually portrayed as a hero.

#4 Posted by 2cool4fun (2418 posts) - - Show Bio

@gustavoburciaga1: Ah I see, so the arrogant robing both died so far, and came back different, while the 2 cheerful ones both get a "everyone thinks he ded". DC's on a roll with the robins.

#5 Posted by 2cool4fun (2418 posts) - - Show Bio

@iro: Yeah I feel you, the New 52 realy stripped down everything that made him the most loved Robin, and the only robin to have a solo title, and just made him pretty generic, truly lobdel's finest work.

Also, I didn't even notice that was Bronze Tiger, kinda excited to see him play a major role.

#6 Posted by Rurgandy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

I really wonder sometimes how Tim went from everyone's favourite Robin, to the only one the writers seem to exclude or not care about that much.

He stopped being Robin, and became one of many ex-Robins.

#7 Posted by Babblesat (12 posts) - - Show Bio

@2cool4fun: Tim seems to have joined the Jason zone. Hope they toss Damien and give Tim his old job back.

#8 Posted by entropy_aegis (20731 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks interesting...for now.

@2cool4fun: Tim seems to have joined the Jason zone. Hope they toss Damien and give Tim his old job back.

Or maybe they need to give Tim a new job? if he's only relevant as Robin then it doesn't say much about him and he was Robin for 2 decades so he had healthy time to grow.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
#9 Posted by HandOfPrometheus (877 posts) - - Show Bio

YES MORE BRONZE TIGER PLEASE!

#10 Posted by Super_ninja (3525 posts) - - Show Bio

i might pick this up.

#11 Edited by fastflash12 (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, people liked Tim? I always thought he was the lamest one of all...

#12 Posted by Pooh96 (70 posts) - - Show Bio

Is King finally gonna git gud?

#13 Posted by foxerdes (9865 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it Knightfall v2?

#15 Posted by TDK_1997 (18605 posts) - - Show Bio

Finch's art was just getting good and now it has returned to the crap it was before joining King on this book.

#16 Posted by El_tio_este (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim is not dead and I really hope that whatever are Mr. oz plans it includes some kind of young justice rebirth. Something to bring back the team of teen titans Vol.3 but with other name and good stories......................... A man can only dream.

#17 Edited by Aahz (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

@2cool4fun said:

Also, I didn't even notice that was Bronze Tiger, kinda excited to see him play a major role.

But with having the whole Batfamily in this arc, adding him seems a little bit to much.

@2cool4fun: Tim seems to have joined the Jason zone.

I think that Jason got a better treatment in the New 52 (at least outside of the Bat-Books, his portrait in the Batman cross overs and events is quite bad).
With rebirth it looked like they would finally fix Tim, but now we have to see how they handle his death.
#18 Edited by lionman (56 posts) - - Show Bio

@2cool4fun: dick has always been my favorite robin

#19 Posted by Blues32 (117 posts) - - Show Bio

Since when did Bronze Tiger take venom?

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#20 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (14858 posts) - - Show Bio

@el_tio_este: whatever he's planning includes Doomsday so I doubt that's happening.

#21 Posted by deadpool25mm (864 posts) - - Show Bio

@blues32 said:

Since when did Bronze Tiger take venom?

Few issues ago

#22 Posted by mysoulz (870 posts) - - Show Bio

@aahz said:
@2cool4fun said:

But with having the whole Batfamily in this arc, adding him seems a little bit to much.

I don't really think having Bronze Tiger being included in this arc is a bad thing, to be honest.

Avatar image for scott_summers52
#23 Posted by scott_summers52 (1686 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Tom King doesn't mess this one up. On the bright side, David Finch art.

#24 Posted by NightFang3 (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Dr. Arkham is the unluckiest doctor in Arkham.

Avatar image for thecomiccrafter
#25 Posted by TheComicCrafter (335 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really excited to see Psycho-Pirate return, especially considering his habit of not being affected by reboots and other universe-altering events. He's probably the only character still alive who remembers anything Pre-Crisis aside from Barry Allen.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
#26 Edited by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

Finch's art was just getting good and now it has returned to the crap it was before joining King on this book.

I think his art's always been amazing, though when he has to rush it does get muddy

#27 Posted by Eto (5147 posts) - - Show Bio

Eeh will probably pick up once "the button kicks off.

#28 Posted by Elpizo (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@2cool4fun: Probably due to the ending of Red Robin. Writers may get back to how the series ended with him being a complete bad mofo

#29 Posted by MaxSchreck (220 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, people liked Tim? I always thought he was the lamest one of all...

He is one of the most popular I think. But popularity is not quality...

#30 Posted by El_tio_este (33 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by Rubear (4643 posts) - - Show Bio

Dr. Arkham is the unluckiest doctor in Arkham.

Before New 52 he had a mask. Black mask.

#32 Posted by Onemoreposter (4365 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess Bronze Tiger is unaware that Batman briefly became a venom junky when it was first introduced (pre-Bane). Also, how does Bronze Tiger knows Bruce's identity ("rich boy" comment). Also, wasn't Bronze Tiger introduced in the New 52 as a some sort of tiger hybrid man?

#33 Posted by RegulatorJoe (66 posts) - - Show Bio

@2cool4fun: Agree with you on the Batman and Catwoman thing I know people consider it old and tired but when they are doing their rooftop flirty cat and (flying)mouse thing its great to me.

#34 Posted by harlequinreala (143 posts) - - Show Bio

Robin and Jason on the cover look weird.

#35 Posted by iro (126 posts) - - Show Bio

@iro: @2cool4fun: Tim is "dead" from what everyone is lead to believe. And no that's Bronze Tiger, skilled martial artist and at times an assassin, though usually portrayed as a hero.

ah yeah. I know people in the dcu think tim's dead, for now, but the way the character has fallen in popularity among both the writing staff and the fans for the last few years, can't be explained by pointing at his recent "death", especially since everyone knows he isn't actually dead. if anything, him dying is just a symptom of how apathetic most of the fans are to him now so they've apparentlly decided to take him out of the picture for now (literally in some cases, like how he's missing on that variant cover above, depicting batman with all his sons, which isn't the first time he's left out in group shots) and seemingly he's not gonna be brought back and freed from his current captivity 'till dc decides what to do with him.

but I have hope that they'll do a revamp and get him back to his roots a lil' bit, since they deemed it fit to make him a part of the greater rebirth mystery, as opposed to just letting him fade even more in to the background in some team ongoing.

huh, I hadn't heard about bronze tiger before, so thanks for informing me!

@iro: Yeah I feel you, the New 52 realy stripped down everything that made him the most loved Robin, and the only robin to have a solo title, and just made him pretty generic, truly lobdel's finest work.

lobdel is almost single handedly responsible for running tim, cassie, kon and bart into the ground as characters, although other stuff didn't help either. it's quite amazing just how much damage that dude can do tho.

as for tim specifically, he's been feeling pretty redundant for a while now, since damian stepped up as robin, while dick and jason fill the roles of the older "sidekicks" with their own unique identities, who run around gotham. meanwhile, tim have basically just replaced barbara, as the (less interesting) tech wiz of the batfamily. all his personality seems to have gone down the drain as well, to be replaced with an arrogant, unlikable cardboard cutout. add all that to the changes to his origin and you've got yourself a big mess.

so yeah. lots to fix there. I personally think he needs a new identity stat and for his origin to be retconned back to the way it was again, and then the writers might have more to work with. but who knows what will happen. either way it's all pretty depressing.

#36 Edited by 2cool4fun (2418 posts) - - Show Bio

@iro: Literally everything you said, I agree with you, he really needs a better identity.

Also I completely forgot about bart, cass & kon, wish I didn't remember haha, but Kon, feels like he did him even worse in way, because for a time, he wrote every comic in which he was in, even Superman during times when he was in it. Literally the only time Superboy was a good comic, was once it stopped being writen by lobdel as well as affected by his teen titans or superman stories. Which was basically just the last few issues.

#37 Posted by apg103 (210 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim Drake was the best Robin !

#38 Posted by iro (126 posts) - - Show Bio

@iro: Literally everything you said, I agree with you, he really needs a better identity.

Also I completely forgot about bart, cass & kon, wish I didn't remember haha, but Kon, feels like he did him even worse in way, because for a time, he wrote every comic in which he was in, even Superman during times when he was in it. Literally the only time Superboy was a good comic, was once it stopped being writen by lobdel as well as affected by his teen titans or superman stories. Which was basically just the last few issues.

I'm hoping that they give him a bird themed identity, but we'll see. ^_^

and yeah, kon is... almost beyond saving at this point, which pains me to say. someone dedicated enough could probably try to salvage him, but it'd take a lot of work and I'm not sure dc's all that interested in bringing him back right now anyway, since they have jon who's busy carving out his own little space in the superman books. I mean, I'd argue that building a proper superfamily would do the support cast some good, but it might be a while before editorial feels the same way.

buuut! there is the possibility that others are trapped alongside tim, since we saw other cells where he's trapped, and those might contain characters dc feels they need to do damage control with. so maybe, kon and the rest of the 90's crew can get a chance to make their return.

#39 Posted by Nima_ (2104 posts) - - Show Bio

Please make Bane smart and actual a worthy combatant again. That Catwoman shit was ridiculous.

#40 Posted by TheKinfing (11657 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

When it was good? Serious question since I haven't kept up with him.

#41 Posted by TDK_1997 (18605 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

When it was good? Serious question since I haven't kept up with him.

The beginning of Tom King's Batman run.

#42 Posted by donmeca2020 (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

The cover art the past 5 or so issues has been great! I've definitely been enjoying the rebirth volume of Batman thus far.

#43 Edited by 2cool4fun (2418 posts) - - Show Bio

@iro: Man, the fact that Jon is Superboy, while good for him, made me so sad that Kon might never return, but I think Young Justice might at least make him too popular to never come back, just like their Aqualad was teased, even tho he was barely in any comic before the reboot. But if he does, I have no idea what they would name him, Superteen? hahaha

Honestly man Red Bird is a better name than Red Robin, kind of like Snyder named Harper Blue Bird, tho I'm hoping he gets something more original.

#44 Posted by RabumAlal (4843 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, has anyone read this issue?

#45 Edited by Ertman (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Problem with the batman new 52 reboot is that they brought all the robin baggage with it. Many fans loved the various incarnations of robin, and their stories would always exist, but when they did the reboot they should of cut them all loose. If we were going to have to drag in the past, unfortunately Tim is the most convenient to eliminate.

#46 Posted by apg103 (210 posts) - - Show Bio

Im ok with them killing off all these batman sidekicks

#47 Edited by SP4RT4N (85 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim was always the best Robin, and I greatly enjoyed his Red Robin series before the New52 messed things up for him. The clone Superboy was my favorite version of Superboy as well and if he can't be 'the' Superboy, then he needs to graduate to the adult Titans team with a new alias like Solaris or something.

As far as Batman, my main reason for hating Damian is the fact he makes all the other Robins including Grayson obsolete because he's ACTUALLY Batman's kid. Get rid of the Bat-bastard Damian so the rest of the Bat-books [and Teen Titans] can slowly get back to being readable.