Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided

ANT-MAN LAST DAYS #1

(W) Nick Spencer (A) Ramon Rosanas (CA) Mark Brooks

• When a local clairvoyant predicts the end of the world, a mysterious woman sends Scott on a vital mission!

• An old foe (okay, maybe more like annoyance) shows up - and Scott's going to regret it!

• What do you do when you think the world is about to end? What do you think? Doesn't anybody else remember 1999? You party! Everything dies? Pfft. Everything DANCES.

Rated T+

Item Code: JUN150686 In Shops: 8/26/2015 SRP: $3.99

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I mean I like Scott Lang.....but i kinda miss Pym.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes! It's been too long since the last issue of Ant-Man.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3 dernman  Online

@koays: I'll admit the movie and the new book has improved my opinion of Scott Lang but that doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't have gotten rid of Hank. He was an awesome character that they wasted potential. With how things are I think we got another Captain Mar-Vell on our hands.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Koays

@dernman: True. I always felt like Hank Pym was stuck in an awkward place as a character, (a genius hero on a team with more noteworthy genius hero's, constantly trapped in a redemption arc) but to me Pym should've been...and should still be THE character..in marvel considering how many plot threads have spun out of him. But now...it's almost like we've got Supergirl, Krypto, and General Zod running around getting cameos everywhere and no ones asking about Superman.

Avatar image for child_of_the_past
Child_of_the_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: While Pym is an interesting character, he isn't nearly as iconic for Marvel as Superman is for DC. When they first announced the Ant-man movie lots of people's first thought was "why would marvel make a film about a wife-beater". Yes those people were ignorant to Pym's legacy but it goes to show that the character isn't that well known by people outside of the controversy. Whereas Superman is seen as the pinnacle of what a superhero should be.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dernman  Online

@koays: True. They made him so team Avengers centric that they didn't have an identity outside of it. All those things originated with him either stake root into the Avengers claim or find somewhere else to grow.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@child_of_the_past: All true, but my point was more to the use of his elements. Ultron, Wasp, Antman, Giantman, Yellowjacket even the Vision to some extent....they all share heavy connection to Pym. And while Pym isn't remotely as important as Superman, nor has he even been able to supersede his own controversy, there's something to be said about how he's been reduced to a bit role in the story of his succesor as opposed to having his own story and interest in his character renewed and invigorated.

G-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poor pym, he still be the biggest smallest hero in my eyes!

Child_of_the_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: It seems that Marvel has tried to restore some of Pym's good name in the past. This is the first solo book Scott Lang has ever gotten. Everyone knows Pym was the original Ant-man, even in the MCU. I really don't see how Pym's current status is any different than from that of Barry Allen or Jay Garrick pre-new 52

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@child_of_the_past: I was thinking along the same lines. But more like Kyle Rayner becoming GL. It didn't reduce the importance of Hal Jordan, but all these things that Hal had helped establish, the supporting cast and role in the DCU and development moving forward that was made possible because of him...he just wasn't seeing the benefit of anymore.

Child_of_the_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: How was anything you just said different from how Pym is being treated? Ant-man isn't nearly as popular as GL. While the DCU needs a GL at all times, the Marvel universe hasn't had an Ant-Man centered comic in years. All of his achievements, both bad and good have been part of this book and others in recent years. The Ant-man annual paid tribute to Pym as well and Rage of Ultron seemed to do a great job of exploring his relationship with Ultron and the Vision.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@child_of_the_past: Hey like i said from beginning I like Scott Lang. But the point of all of it is that HE IS ANTMAN NOW. And as it stands we don't know when the next Hank Pym story will be. All we have is a legacy character who is in the process of subplanting him as the recognizeable face of Antman. It's not a bad thing that he's subplanting him, but Its not a good thing for Hank Pym either that when the character aspects so heavily associated with him are brought up their now more closesly associated with someone else. And as someone who kind of likes the more recent versions of Pym and wants to see him develop further this is sort of a let down.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Incoming Dirty Dancing referees!

chamber-music

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@koays: I'll admit the movie and the new book has improved my opinion of Scott Lang but that doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't have gotten rid of Hank. He was an awesome character that they wasted potential. With how things are I think we got another Captain Mar-Vell on our hands.

The problem is that Marvel have been unwilling to really free Hank Pym from his controversial 'crazy wife-hitting' arc. The Hank Pym character has been in going in a redemption circle for thirty years which is why that has become all his character is known for.

Marvel has squandered the potential of the character by being unwilling to move on or develop new stories for the character that don't revolve around Ultron, mental illness and hitting Janet.

The Hank Pym character is still redeemable but if they ever want to elevate him they really need to out a moratorium on the past stuff with Janet and develop fresh ideas for the character.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This scott lang series with him in miami with his crew of misfits has been refreshing.

As far as pym goes, the last ant-man annual, they made it seem like he died or something but there was no real explanation.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. Someone other than my brother actually watches Chicago Fire?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FearTheLiving

I can't get enough of this series.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This scott lang series with him in miami with his crew of misfits has been refreshing.

As far as pym goes, the last ant-man annual, they made it seem like he died or something but there was no real explanation.

It was referencing Rage of Ultron. I'm pretty sure there's a bubble that even points you towards it.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

I mean I like Scott Lang.....but i kinda miss Pym.

I miss the "real" Scott Lang (who I've always preferred to Pym).. This guy isn't him.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CaptainHoopla

I love Spencer's Ant-Man. Probably my favorite series from Marvel or DC at the moment. Astonishing Ant-Man is also the only Marvel post Secret Wars book that I can already guarantee will be on my pull list.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

It never fails. Something new with Scott comes out and people have to bring Hank into it

Sumnerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait.. is that Miss Patriot there????

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dernman  Online
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: And? that doesn't mean that every time the Scott is brought up that the comment section has to be bogged down with people whining about Hank about not being Ant-Man or the one in the spotlight in an Ant-Man book (an identity he gave up over 20 years ago)It's messed up and irritating.

It's like that older brother who gives something to a little brother and then comes back later and starts complaining and demanding it back when the little one actually has some success and fun with it.

It's not like there aren't a million other places to complain about it. I'm aware that people have a right to voice there opinion about things I'm just asking if being a little classier about it is such a hard task?

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: and it looks like that all a good chunk of people will ever see him as/treat him like which is freaking depressing

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dernman  Online

@avenging_x_bolt:

And?

And being the branch when when it's rapped all up in the tree's things people are going to think of the tree

that doesn't mean that every time the Scott is brought up that the comment section has to be bogged down with people whining about Hank about not being Ant-Man or the one in the spotlight in an Ant-Man book (an identity he gave up over 20 years ago)It's messed up and irritating.

When a someone feels a tree they like is being pushed aside for the branch especially when they feel the tree isn't getting their own. Yes yes it does if they so choose to. Especially when they don't really say the branch shouldn't have his own lite.

I'd rather be one of those people then those who come out every time to "whine" about others "whining". (I say having been on both sides)

It's like that older brother who gives something to a little brother and then comes back later and starts complaining and demanding it back when the little one actually has some success and fun with it.

Bad comparison. It's more like when some takes from one to give to another and pushing the first out. People wouldn't care about Scott getting anything if they didn't screw with Hank to do it or at least let him also grow. I:E: What happened in the movies, comic death, giant man replacement, and either being stuck or disappeared.

It's not like there aren't a million other places to complain about it.

And when discussing Ant-Man being one of those places

I'm aware that people have a right to voice there opinion

Except when it annoys you and then you feel the need to say something about it

about things I'm just asking if being a little classier about it is such a hard task?

Shouldn't you be taking your own advice? The classy thing would have been to just let it be.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dernman  Online

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@dernman: and it looks like that all a good chunk of people will ever see him as/treat him like which is freaking depressing

Can you blame them? He's virtually cloaked in another mans identity.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@avenging_x_bolt said:

I got to agree with avenging_x_bolt, the Ant-Man comic has been solid and Lang deserves his props. I feel Hank Pym has been misused and underused as a character, but I'm happy for the success that Lang is having. I just hope that Marvel sees the interest out there for Pym and gives him his own chance to shine.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dernman  Online

@dernman said:
@avenging_x_bolt said:

I got to agree with avenging_x_bolt, the Ant-Man comic has been solid and Lang deserves his props.

That really wasn't in question here.

I feel Hank Pym has been misused and underused as a character, but I'm happy for the success that Lang is having.

You can be happy for Langs success but be upset when the company uses that to push aside another character you know. One of the first things I said in this thread was the movie and comics really improved my opinion on Lang. Before that he didn't interest me.

I just hope that Marvel sees the interest out there for Pym and gives him his own chance to shine.

That's all most people talking about Pym really want.

Anty-Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea why people are talking about Pym, in this thread. this book is awesome. Hank gave up on being Ant-Man a long long time ago. Scott getting a push has jack-all to do with Hank currently being Ultron. he has been Ant-Man since 1979. get over it already.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@avenging_x_bolt:

And?

And being the branch when when it's rapped all up in the tree's things people are going to think of the tree

that doesn't mean that every time the Scott is brought up that the comment section has to be bogged down with people whining about Hank about not being Ant-Man or the one in the spotlight in an Ant-Man book (an identity he gave up over 20 years ago)It's messed up and irritating.

When a someone feels a tree they like is being pushed aside for the branch especially when they feel the tree isn't getting their own. Yes yes it does if they so choose to.

Especially when the don't really say the branch shouldn't have his own lite.

Just so long as it isnt a better/more noticed than the guy who had it first? doesnt really sound much like "his own life" if its completey dependent on the amount of exposure the former had.

Bad comparison. It's more like when some takes from one to give to another and pushing the first out. People wouldn't care about Scott getting anything if they didn't screw with Hank to do it or at least let him also grow. I:E: What happened in the movies, comic death, giant man replacement, and either being stuck or disappeared.

so uuumm what did Scott take exactly? Is Scott a founding member of the Avengers/ respected leader and one of the biggest brains in the Marvel U.....no funnily enough, hes actually being portrayed as less competent/respected then he was before. So what exactly did Scott take?

1. Im pretty sure there was no Hank Pym Ant-Man series planned (then again i dont work at Marvel so who knows)

2. The movie point is fair i suppose, only because Hank and Jan were originally planned to show up in the Avengers. Still he did have a bigger role in the movie than in Scott's actual origin in the comics and had a decent amount of his own merchandise released around the movies premiere.

3. What about the giant-man replacement? Arent most of the big name characters being succeeded right now?

and is in talks for a movie prequel set around him and was confirmed to return to the comics a while back so it could be muuuuch worse.

It's not like there aren't a million other places to complain about it.

And when discussing Ant-Man being one of those places

Yes. Hank Pym Ant-Man..or even one about the identity in general. a thread about Scott Lang specifically and the events in his solo book that dont have anything to do with Hank or his relation to Scott is not.

I'm aware that people have a right to voice there opinion

Except when it annoys you and then you feel the need to say something about it

Yes. because im also aware that I have the right to voice MY opinion. and its actually relevant to the post i was responding to as well. hooray for me.

about things I'm just asking if being a little classier about it is such a hard task?

Shouldn't you be taking your own advice? The classy thing would have been to just let it be.

I disagree.

@dernman said:
@avenging_x_bolt said:

Yes. funnily enough i can, because Scott's had it more than long enough for it to be considered his. I dont recall fans whining at Hank when he using a woman's identity.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this Scott lang book, I just hope Hank isnt caught up in space being Ultron or whatever for too long. I miss him. Personally I think a team up book with Lang and Pym would be awesome.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dernman  Online

@avenging_x_bolt: Just so long as it isnt a better/more noticed than the guy who had it first? doesnt really sound much like "his own life" if its completey dependent on the amount of exposure the former had.

Not at all. The branch can have it's own thing as long as the planters don't forget, neglect or kill the awesome tree because they have the branch. Otherwise the tree huggers will be understandably upset. Nobody complains when the American tree's branches line the Winter and U.S. branch get light. Why because the American tree still has his own. Same thing with the Iron tree and War branch.

Take the Lantern Tree's for example. Everyone loves the Lantern Tree and all it's branches. The only time tree huggers complain is when they feel one of those branches take from the tree. Otherwise they're glad the branch have their own plots to grown in and hug those branches too.

so uuumm what did Scott take exactly? Is Scott a founding member of the Avengers/ respected leader and one of the biggest brains in the Marvel U.....no funnily enough, hes actually being portrayed as less competent/respected then he was before. So what exactly did Scott take?

Ignoring what happening the movie universe for a second. To answer your question with more. You can say attention given by the company. It's why he was pushed aside and killed off. getting him out of the way helps Scott especially when they want some things to resemble. More.

Now that I think about it. It's not exact example but I remember something similar happening with the Furies. Everybody wen yap yap yap on those who complained about replacing Nick Fury in the movies. Then they went yep yap again when they replaced Fury with his kid. Saying all this nonesence about not going anywhere and not being replaced. Still around. What happened like people said would. More and more he was pushed into the background, then they totally messed him up in original sin. Now IIRC them saying they're replacing him with Ult Fury for good because it makes sense.

1. Im pretty sure there was no Hank Pym Ant-Man series planned (then again i dont work at Marvel so who knows)

And there wont be. They have Scott.

2. The movie point is fair i suppose, only because Hank and Jan were originally planned to show up in the Avengers. Still he did have a bigger role in the movie than in Scott's actual origin in the comics and had a decent amount of his own merchandise released around the movies premiere.

A bone which is mostly for Scotts benefit.

3. What about the giant-man replacement? Arent most of the big name characters being succeeded right now?

At least those tree's are still around. They also have a history of getting much light to make it easier. They are huge trees. Unlike the Pym Tree which is small in comparison. Very easy to cut him down and burn him like the Mar-Vel tree.

Side Note: You realize people go ballistic every time one of those characters get replaced you right? Hell I stopped supporting those books.

and is in talks for a movie prequel set around him and was confirmed to return to the comics a while back so it could be muuuuch worse.

Talk is cheap. Just how will he return? Fury returned for awhile and look what happened to him. Even at best it will probably go back to being a tool to give development for the Avengers and other characters to use.. Which is fine and all but what about him on his own. I'd like a Pym universe that is more about Pym than around him.

Yes. funnily enough i can, because Scott's had it more than long enough for it to be considered his.

Not really because he's just using a portion of what makes up Pym .

I dont recall fans whining at Hank when he using a woman's identity.

Because nothing actually changed with Hank but his name and costume. Not to mention it was only a short time and they new it wouldn't last. It's not like Scott is going to become something else. Not that anyone is asking him too but it is the reason why people still see him and think Hank. Which is what I was saying on that point.

Side note: I would have complained if I thought Hank was going to be Wasp for the long hall.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@dernman said:

@avenging_x_bolt: Just so long as it isnt a better/more noticed than the guy who had it first? doesnt really sound much like "his own life" if its completey dependent on the amount of exposure the former had.

Not at all. The branch can have it's own thing as long as the planters don't forget, neglect or kill the awesome tree because they have the branch. Otherwise the tree huggers will be understandably upset. Nobody complains when the American tree's branches line the Winter and U.S. branch get light. Why because the American tree still has his own. Same thing with the Iron tree and War branch.

Take the Lantern Tree's for example. Everyone loves the Lantern Tree and all it's branches. The only time tree huggers complain is when they feel one of those branches take from the tree. Otherwise they're glad the branch have their own plots to grown in and hug those branches too.

Fair enough.

Ignoring what happening the movie universe for a second. To answer your question with more. You can say attention given by the company. It's why he was pushed aside and killed off. getting him out of the way helps Scott especially when they want some things to resemble. More.

Now that I think about it. It's not exact example but I remember something similar happening with the Furies. Everybody wen yap yap yap on those who complained about replacing Nick Fury in the movies. Then they went yep yap again when they replaced Fury with his kid. Saying all this nonesence about not going anywhere and not being replaced. Still around. What happened like people said would. More and more he was pushed into the background, then they totally messed him up in original sin. Now IIRC them saying they're replacing him with Ult Fury for good because it makes sense.

So i should watch out Hank's long lost grandpa who is also named Hank Pym coming and taking the place of Pymtron?

And there wont be. They have Scott.

Exactly.

A bone which is mostly for Scotts benefit.

Pretty big ass bone.its more than Scott got for the vast majority of his existence despite actually being Ant-Man. either way its there.

At least those tree's are still around. They also have a history of getting much light to make it easier. They are huge trees. Unlike the Pym Tree which is small in comparison. Very easy to cut him down and burn him like the Mar-Vel tree.

Side Note: You realize people go ballistic every time one of those characters get replaced you right? Hell I stopped supporting those books.

Yeah, i know. not sure why that makes it any less annoying.

Talk is cheap. Just how will he return? Fury returned for awhile and look what happened to him. Even at best it will probably go back to being a tool to give development for the Avengers and other characters to use.. Which is fine and all but what about him on his own. I'd like a Pym universe that is more about Pym than around him.

Yes. funnily enough i can, because Scott's had it more than long enough for it to be considered his.

Not really because he's just using a portion of what makes up Pym .

Says who? just because its a part of Hank, doesnt that it isnt just a part of Scott just as much if not more. and if that is true then whats the point of even having legacy heroes other then to wank the original?

I dont recall fans whining at Hank when he using a woman's identity.

Because nothing actually changed with Hank but his name and costume. Not to mention it was only a short time and they new it wouldn't last. It's not like Scott is going to become something else. Not that anyone is asking him too. But it is the reason why people still see him and think Hank. Which is what I was saying on that point.

I was actually talking about Janet's fans. they're the ones who had a character misused for years then killed off and instantly replaced as part of a certain writers agenda. but Hank is all that matters, silly me.

Side note: I would have complained if I thought Hank was going to be Wasp for the long hall.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dernman  Online

@avenging_x_bolt: Says who? just because its a part of Hank, doesnt that it isnt just a part of Scott just as much if not more. and if that is true then whats the point of even having legacy heroes other then to wank the original?

Says me and most everyone we've been talking about that think of Hank when they see Scott. Ant Man and Giant Man are two halves of the whole that make up Hank Pym's hero identity. Scott using half doesn't change that. I'll always think of Peter Spider-Man when I see Miles Spider-Man.

There are many separate reasons legacy characters. If you insist I can list a few. Honestly though the the thought just makes me want to go "ugh effort". I was hoping we'd be winding down. Not sure where you got wanking the original from in this context so lets just leave it.

I was actually talking about Janet's fans. they're the ones who had a character misused for years then killed off and instantly replaced as part of a certain writers agenda. but Hank is all that matters, silly me.

I am a Janet fan but the situation is more convoluted and the context is different in this relationship. You can't blame writers not showing attention the same way you can with Hank. As much as I love Wasp she's a branch. Less so then Scott because of bigger differences but still a branch. Not to mention Wasp doesn't have same history of her light being taken from her by Hank. He doesn't have a history of taking up her identity. Only the one time and like I said it was still mostly just a name.

Having said that. Didn't I say I would complain if i thought it would go on? Also what I didn't say was I actually did complain that Wasp was killed off and the offhanded way they did it. Like many others. I was also grateful despite some people complaining when she returned.

So obviously Hank isn't the only one that matters. It's just a contextually different situation.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@avenging_x_bolt: Says who? just because its a part of Hank, doesnt that it isnt just a part of Scott just as much if not more. and if that is true then whats the point of even having legacy heroes other then to wank the original?

Says me and most everyone we've been talking about that think of Hank when they see Scott. Ant Man and Giant Man are two halves of the whole that make up Hank Pym's hero identity. Scott using half doesn't change that. I'll always think of Peter Spider-Man when I see Miles Spider-Man.

There are many separate reasons legacy characters. If you insist I can list a few. Honestly though the the thought just makes me want to go "ugh effort". I was hoping we'd be winding down. Not sure where you got wanking the original from in this context so lets just leave it.

No, its fine. Im sorry. i guess it just kinda feels like if all a legacy hero is gonna be is just some extension/benefit of the previous hero that just kind of depresses me. I thought the aim with a legacy hero was make the mantle their own and become their while still respecting their predecessor. If that isnt true and Scott ,Eric, Bill, or Raz are just guys using Hank's stuff then whats the point of their existence other than to just be people that Pym had a hand in empowering?

I am a Janet fan but the situation is more convoluted and the context is different in this relationship. You can't blame writers not showing attention the same way you can with Hank. As much as I love Wasp she's a branch. Less so then Scott because of bigger differences but still a branch. Not to mention Wasp doesn't have same history of her light being taken from her by Hank. He doesn't have a history of taking up her identity. Only the one time and like I said it was still mostly just a name.

Having said that. Didn't I say I would complain if i thought it would go on? Also what I didn't say was I actually did complain that Wasp was killed off and the offhanded way they did it. Like many others. I was also grateful despite some people complaining when she returned.

sorry, i wasn't referring to you specifically. i never mean to single you out,

So obviously Hank isn't the only one that matters. It's just a contextually different situation.

fair enough