Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
Colossus by Mattias Fahlberg
Colossus by Mattias Fahlberg

If there's one thing you can say about Colossus' outfit, it's an iconic costume. While he's had a few different wardrobe changes throughout the years, currently, he's back to wearing the same outfit he appeared in back in 1975 in GIANT-SIZED X-MEN #1. Along with that red and gold outfit comes that crop-top haircut. Colossus has been keeping it "high and tight" for decades, except during the "bald is beautiful" era.

Looking at Colossus right now, he doesn't look too bad, but the problem is that everyone else around him has gotten some sort of overhaul and looks contemporary, while Colossus still looks like a costumed hero from the 70s. I'm no fashion expert, but I have seen a lot of pre-award show red carpet interviews where Joan Rivers let us know who looked fabulous and who looked atrocious. I think that gives me enough credibility to let you know why Colossus needs and update.

4. It Makes No Sense

No Caption Provided

While what we see here is an updated, sleeker version of his outfit, the original has these giant shoulder pads that make no sense at all. They stick out like a sore thumb. However, that's not what makes no sense about this outfit. First and foremost, he's wearing armor on top of his armor-plated skin. It's like giving Colossus the powers of Juggernaut... oh... wait... In other interpretations, he's wearing cloth, not armor, which, again, doesn't make sense. Why even wear a shirt at all when your skin is organic steel?

On top of that, it's not even a shirt. It's a weird diamond-shaped cloth with a hole in the center for Piotr's head. His sides aren't covered at all. Is this for air conditioning purposes? In addition, he's in briefs, but has knee-high boots, exposing his thighs to the world. He's dressed like something out of the Dungeon of Doom, but slightly less cohesive. It's one of the most bi-polar outfits in comics. It's not sure if it wants to be an evening gown for the Grammys or an oddly shaped swimsuit.

3. The Cold War is Over

No Caption Provided

Without a doubt, the biggest influence in the color scheme of Colossus' outfit comes from the Cold War and America's decades of tension with the USSR. For it's time, this was a great decision, and it gave young Americans that not everyone in the USSR was Ivan Drago, waiting to break all those not falling under a communist regime. Piotr had a soft side and was a character we could sympathize with.

However, the Iron Curtain fell 25 years ago, and the symbolism just isn't there anymore. While Piotr may have a connection to his homeland, now going by Russia, that part of his homeland isn't with him a part of him. In addition, can we give this guy a new haircut too? The crew cut isn't something very fitting for his personality. I recommend taking him back to bald so people like me (bald people) have a superhero to look up to.

He's a tough character but the look he has now doesn't represent who he is as a person. Let's get some clothes on this chap that's a better representation of who he is now and not who he was.

2. It's Full of Triangles

No Caption Provided

Question: Did an 8th grade geometry teacher design this outfit? Was said teacher's goal to fit in as many isosceles triangles into the costume as possible? If so, mission accomplished. Obviously, we're looking at an older costume, but the war of the triangles still applies today. It's just not as obvious. I think it's pretty obvious when this character was created that the wanted him to stand out, and what better way that being all pointy?

40 years later, the triangles are a tad more subtle, but the homage to the three-sided shape is still there. Honestly, he looks like an early 90s wrestler for WWE. However, costumes have changed a lot going from "flashy" to "practical" and Colossus' costume is not practical at all. Sleeker is the way to go and even though there's been a few changes to his main costume over the years, it's still pretty silly.

Let's get right to the nitty-gritty of all of this and not hold back. Everything is pointing to his crotch. We get it. Colossus has a crotch. Let's stop drawing attention to it.

1. He's Had Much Better Costumes Than This

No Caption Provided

Here and again, Colossus gets a pretty sweet costume upgrade. Back when he became the avatar of the Cyttorak and became the "Juggersus," Colossus' costume was pretty sleek. It had elements of the Crimson Bands that we associate with Juggernaut and the color scheme from the classic Colossus that we all know and love, which as mentioned before, I kind of hate. What really worked for this character was the bald head. It gave him this cool, hip look. Also, the sides of his shirt are no longer missing.

There's plenty of other times Colossus had great looking costumes, like in the Ultimate Universe. Sure, the random belts across the black t-shirt were pretty weird, but the 1610 got one thing right. It's not about fashion. It's about wearing something comfortable while punching people in the face. The X-Men are one of those teams where they are not defined by their costumes. They're defined by their powers or awesome white mohawks.

What it really comes down to is that the vast majority of X-Men had costume changes and lots of them stuck. Aside from people like Nightcrawler (at least he doesn't have a perm anymore) and Firestar (she also has an awful costume), most characters have had great costume changes, and since we're living in a time where high-profile characters are getting changes to their outfits, like Batgirl, Spider-Woman, and the ever changing Iron Man, why can't the Russian with the heart of gold get one too?

What do you think about Colossus' outfit? Is it time to change it up or should he continue to stick out like a sore thumb among his peers?

Colossus image at the top by Mattias Fahlberg.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Sorry, but has anyone told Putin the Cold War is over?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 inferiorego  Staff

@saren said:

Sorry, but has anyone told Putin the Cold War is over?

No, but we sent it through the snail mail

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Disagree;,I really like it.

cdw101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I always liked his age of apocalypse costume.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yo, leave my boy alone! He's perfect the way he is. Also, I think his old costume is fitting, considering Yost has regressed his character back 30 years in the last few issues of Amazing.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Very funny article and I completely agree. I would like to see him go bald again

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Colossus isn't the only one. Kitty needs a new costume as well

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

This is a problem a lot of the X-Men have. Kitty, Nightcrawler and Colossus all need updates.

Also sword swinging mustachio Colossus = best Colossus

No Caption Provided

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind his costume, but at the same time a change wouldn't hurt.

PB023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I really like the Cable and X-Force costume.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

The future costume should happen now.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 inferiorego  Staff

@pb023 said:
No Caption Provided

Yeah, that was a pretty cool looking outfit and a nice update. If only he was bald and had a mustache during that time

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Colossus looks great, it's a classic very super hero type look. Also "It Makes Nos Sense", this is comics, the looks aren't meant to make sense they're just suppose to be fun. Does Superman's cape make sense? no in reality it would get in the way. Does Spider-Man's costume make sense? no it's too colorful, in reality he'd never be able to sneak up on anyone and he's be a moving target.

That's what separates superheroes from other action mediums, the theatrical appeal and the fun.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By dernman

There are so many characters that need a image update.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it ain't broke , don't fix it. I always loved that it was so reminiscent of his og getup. And don't touch kitty I love her look right now. In the past they changed her up so much so often, let it rock

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What happened to this costume?

No Caption Provided
Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Maybe you will get your wish after Secret Wars.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Because it's only big bad Russia who is the villain and wouldn't stop bullying the rest of the world.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now this one random topic to talk about.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

I always liked his old costume :/ But I do like a good variant

cdw101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pb023:

Me too and also liked Dr nemesis costume in that series.

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a problem a lot of the X-Men have. Kitty, Nightcrawler and Colossus all need updates.

Also sword swinging mustachio Colossus = best Colossus

No Caption Provided

I could live with or without the sword. But I like this one a lot. Never seen it before. Where is it from?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jeanSummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

W.. WHAT IS HE THINKING WEARING ALL THOSE DAMN TRIANGLES!!

But honestly it's a pretty cool outfit always thought of it like a linebacker from Russia which be pretty much is

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rubear

@saren: sorry, but it isnot over)
It's just took place in our homeland for sometime (90-th) and now after some break it is reignited by USA.

P.S. Da, the future costume is a realy good one.

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Tattacus
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: How about "wrestler" Colossus but bald and with the tach?

No Caption Provided

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Lol, you could tell this was coming after the last Comic Vine Podcast. I agree for sure, but I feel like every character shoulders get a new costume at least every 10 years.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do superhero costumes have to make sense...wearing a cape doesnt make sense either still its one of the most iconic superhero utilities.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: He wore it during around Second Coming.......

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His outfit is perfect. I don't see any problem when you look at Aquaman or Thor

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@vascillator said:

Why do superhero costumes have to make sense...wearing a cape doesnt make sense either still its one of the most iconic superhero utilities.

Exactly, once you start trying to make super heroes make sense, things fall apart. You'll never realistically have a world where people with powers call themselves names like "Superman" and wear bright costumes. The whole point is that it's not realistic, and that's why it's fun.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

i liked his x-force costume and speaking of kurt...that little devil never looked better than when in his exaclibur costume with the buzz cut. wish that would have stuck but marvel seems to be in a nostalgia phase with their x-men. storm has the mohawk, firestar, nightcrawler and colossus wearing their original costumes. i loved firestar's avengers costume. was super cool

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@pb023 said:
No Caption Provided

I liked everything about C&XF, but yeah, awesome costume...

Leave1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the creepiest thing about his costume is how he looks when he's not metal. Does he not do that anymore?

JCT45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JCT45

slow news day ?

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

Disagree. I've always loved this costume.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this. This has to be a new weekly feature :D

MrCobain215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cream_God
No Caption Provided

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kid Apollo

you know its a slow day in comics when...

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judasnixon:

Rightrightright, I knew it looked familiar. Ya'know once you fix the issues with this costume, ie; the underwear and the sideless shirt, it's a really awesome costume.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you know its a slow day in comics when...

Lol. Dude, even newspapers print opinion pieces. Nothin wrong with that. And frankly I'd like to learn why some people think his costume looks good as it is. These comments are helping me do that.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Regarding #s 4 and 3

4-It's super hero comics....nothing makes sense....not even the clothing.

3-Colossus was originally intended to be the leader of the "All New, All Different" team, so I imagine him wearing red and yellow is much to the same reason why characters like Superman, Mon-El, The Flash, Captain Marvel and Plastic Man wear them--because they are primary colors.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I don't have any problems with his current costume, I do agree it would be nice to have something different again. Whether it was the updated pants/bald look, something similar to Ultimate/CaXF (which is my favorite), or something entirely new, I'd be okay with change.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I'm happy with Colossus' costume as is (although, this is honestly the first time I've ever thought about it). I'm just getting really tired of this trend of taking superheroes out of their costumes and putting them in "more practical" outfits. I love the colorful, crazy spandex that superheroes wear. It's part of the characters. I mean, it's like if someone took away Indiana Jones's hat and bullwhip and replaced them with a helmet and a machine gun. Sure, it's not necessarily "practical" or "contemporary", but it's an integral part of the character's image and it's something I'd really rather not see changed. (btw, my rant is about superhero costumes in general, not Colossus specifically.)