#1 Edited by EcstaticGrace (7061 posts) - - Show Bio

Intro:

Carol Danvers is a character who was created in 1968. She hasn't always been in the limelight but during recent years that has seemed to change. With the character appearing in animation, video games as well as having a movie coming out next year. Why a workshop considering all of this? Cause the characters reception in the source material is rather poor and I'd like to share my thoughts on how to fix that.

Legacy:

No Caption Provided

Carol has gone from various costumed hero names from inception there was Miss Marvel who later became Binary then War Bird then Miss Marvel again. Then took up the name Captain Marvel after her long passed friend Mar-Vell a Kree soldier she got her powers from. In the Marvel Universe, there has been a couple Captain Marvels and I think that's a problem right there with a simple fix.

Fix - Hear me out cause this might be controversial. My biggest change to Carol would be I'd keep her Miss Marvel alias reference it from time to time but I'd retcon her to have been the only official superhero who went by the name Captain Marvel in the Marvel Universe. Her inspiration for the name would be the Kree soldier Mar-Vell who was a captain of the Kree Empire. So it would be more of a wordplay. Mar-Vell would have only ever been Captain Mar-Vell while Carol out of admiration became Captain Marvel. I'd make Warbird the name of her favorite fighter jet or something.

Powers/Destiny:

I have no problems with Carol's superpowers they're pretty awesome I personally think.

No Caption Provided

list include. Blast Power, Cosmic Awareness, Danger Sense, Energy Absorption, Energy-Enhanced Strikes, Flight, Invulnerability, Levitation, Stamina, Super Speed, Super Strength, Binary transformation. I'd probably just play up what The Supreme Intelligence said in her early series.

Villains:

Every good hero needs a good rogue gallery and to build a better Carol Danvers I think a lot of her villains good be tinkered with such as Doomsdayman, Death-Bird, The Brood, and Moonstone let her face off against characters in the marvel universe that connect with her like Ronan, Super Skrull, and Count Nefaria (Energy Absorber vs Energy Vampire, honestly put him in the sequel.)

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

Stories:

Have epic stories for the character, I'm not talking about drag her book through a Marvel event, but create a Capt. Marvel event story. Her movies involving the Kree/Skrull war why not do an event like that involving the Kree, Skrulls and even Shiar. Hell, with the next point imagine a Kree/Asgard war.

Give her some awesome team-ups while you are at it how about a Jane Foster/Carol Danvers team up. A Phylla-Vell/Carol Danvers team up. Doctor Strange, Monica Rambeau, Gladiator, Black Bolt, Black Panther, etc.

Personality:

Stop having her try to prove herself. She's a superhero she's been one for 40 years and certainly quite some time in the Marvel universe. Before being a superhero she was in the army as a pilot, she has inspired characters such as the current Miss Marvel she doesn't have to prove herself as a hero. At least don't be way too aggressive about showcasing to where it becomes a character fault. (CW II)

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

Now that's out of my system more pop culture references please.

No Caption Provided

Creative Team:

The most important thing here. Carol needs to have a creative team that understands what kind of stories could capture an audience as well as an editor that can guide that team there if need be. It really doesn't matter who the team is as long as they can get the job done.

But given I've put my input in this far I'll continue by giving some suggestions on who I'd like to see.

Writer suggestions:

Chris Claremont - could be a fun nostalgic fit given his work on Mar-Vell

Jonathan Hickman - has a huge fan following as well as a good track record when it comes to science fiction based stories. Which would fit perfectly with Carol.

Kelly Sue DeConnick - Responsible for Carol becoming Carol Danvers in the first place as well as having a pretty awesome series, to begin with.

Artist Suggestion: Sana Takeda

#2 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

They could stop writing her as a fascist for every civil war event that comes up.

#3 Edited by EcstaticGrace (7061 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: That goes under stories (quit dragging her book through Marvel events), Personality (Ditch the Prove herself mentality) and Creative team (Get one that knows what stories to tell to bring in an audience).

Hence Jason Aaron and Jane Thor. Has all of that stuff down.

#4 Edited by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: That goes under stories (quit dragging her book through Marvel events), Personality (Ditch the Prove herself mentality) and Creative team (Get one that knows what stories to tell to bring in an audience).

Hence Jason Aaron and Jane Thor. Has all of that stuff down.

I wonder if she's come to far for any of this. Marvel has the movie coming out, they have pushed her into the A-list in many events and switched the characters name, costume and powers so many times I've nearly lost count. In stories I've seen her as the fascist and as sort of a leader figure (not that she ever did much as leader of the Avengers except what Tony told her to do), but I've seldom seen the sort in depth character that you've seen in Jane Thor. What I've basically seen is Carol hitting things. But I think that at this point at marvel the character is more of a marketing tool than an actual character. They don't really care about her back story or how her current story will play out; all the really care about is that she is out there in some way, shape or form.

#5 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7061 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: I agree with what alot of what you said. I expect no matter her future though if the movie is a success I see the comics following after the movies in every aspect. Which might suggest Carol getting a firm mythos finally after decades of basically jumping around the Marvel Universe sadly.

She's had decent/readable and good runs but nothing groundbreaking yet and I blame editorial for that. Personally the thread was to showcase what I'd like to see done with the character. You have any in-depth opinions on what you'd like to see?

#6 Edited by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace said:

@mark_stephen: I agree with what alot of what you said. I expect no matter her future though if the movie is a success I see the comics following after the movies in every aspect. Which might suggest Carol getting a firm mythos finally after decades of basically jumping around the Marvel Universe sadly.

She's had decent/readable and good runs but nothing groundbreaking yet and I blame editorial for that. Personally the thread was to showcase what I'd like to see done with the character. You have any in-depth opinions on what you'd like to see?

I do, even if I can't afford comics right now. Two years down the road when I can fish them out of the dollar bins at the comic shows I'd like something to look forward too. I'd like them to really deal with her actions in cw1 and cw2, face them and face the human cost of them. I didn't see that in cw1 (she was rewarded for her fascism) and it poisoned the character for me. The second cw was just marvel driving more nails into the coffin lid. Honestly it's hard for me to think of the character as heroic anymore and I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would trust or talk to her. Certainly not the people she hunted, beat up and threw into prison for no reason. If I sound like I'm dwelling a bit too much on it, I am. But if the character is going to be a success outside of her fanbase then winning back fans like me who see her as someone who'll stab friends in the back to advance her career is going to be part of the challenge.

Asside from seeing the human cost I'd like some clarification of who she is, where she came from and what if any place she has in the mu going forward. Right now I see her as just The Woman Character, and for that reason I see her as easily replaceable. Be honest replace her with any super powered female with a similar power set and would anybody but her fans notice? There is no permanent character there, just what ever character the story needs.

To get away from that she needs a stable cast, a stable writing and art team and a stable direction. If she's going to be cosmic then don't base her on Earth, if she's going to be Earth's defender then ok, have a good base but link her to some flesh and blood non-powered characters. She is a celebrity, she is famous and she has no secret id. For all that she's got a lot of people who admire her she's also seriously hated in a lot of places. Play with that. Carol may not have wanted the celebrity lifestyle that came with being the best, but she's got it and now let her deal with living in that fishbowl. That's a place where not everything can be solved by a punch. And above all try to have at least a storyline or two that isn't a mega-event crossover that allows another writer to savage her character for the plot.

#7 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7061 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: I agree with alot of what you said other then addressing Civil War. I don't see anything good coming out of continuously reminding people that event happened.

Character desperately needs character development.

#8 Posted by Rell127 (471 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: I agree Msrvel fucked her up.Iron man just had his highest sells ever so he could be a villain for a bit then a movie a few years later. Carol needed to do something majorly good and badass.

#9 Posted by MasterOfEvil (1671 posts) - - Show Bio

She needs a real arch nemesis. I'm talking building someone Doom/Magneto levels of epicness. Her current run has her fighting henchmen level wannabees and her own pity party.

She wants to be A-list, she need A-list problems.

#10 Posted by MrAbductor (1245 posts) - - Show Bio

She needs a real arch nemesis. I'm talking building someone Doom/Magneto levels of epicness. Her current run has her fighting henchmen level wannabees and her own pity party.

Her becoming an alcoholic again would be interesting or is she still one?

#11 Edited by MasterOfEvil (1671 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrabductor said:
@masterofevil said:

Her becoming an alcoholic again would be interesting or is she still one?

not anymore, but giving her big enough problems that she's really tempted would be interesting