What is the image resize ratio now???

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#1  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

More of a question then a bug really but I don't get the resize ratio when adding covers now, it seems completely random and sometimes even makes images bigger. It looks like the largest size the issue page can handle is 831px wide, that is the largest I've seen so far when uploading covers that are 1200-1400px wide, when covers that are 3400px wide or larger are added they resize down to 640px but oddly enough I just uploaded an image that was 640px wide and the site upscaled it to 862px wide???? I find this all to be completely confusing and annoying in the case of the odd numbered resizes. so what's the deal with resizing?

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

I've had the same problem in a way with adding pictures for people, sometimes it zooms in really far and you only see half of their head.

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The images in my bio were re-sized as well, seemingly at random. Very confusing.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe the ones on the image page (main cover) change to a 640x1280 size (whichever is larger). We don't crop the image so it just resizes the source image.

@xanni15: where are you seeing the crops? Some places do crop, but they should not be on most wiki pages (which resize much like the wysiwyg resizes).

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pikahyper  Moderator

k makes sense.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@mrpibb: is it possible for you guys to make it so the resize script does not increase the size of cover images? I'm seeing a lot of distortion, no big deal if it shrinks them some but upscaling is bad, I added a cover that was 900x1183 and it was upscaled to 973x1280 and it is noticeably worse. I do a ton of cover replacements per year mid to high four digits and I do them so the site can be using better quality images but if the site itself is making them worse... I dunno about others but that's going to make me rethink spending so much time on it.

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2261

User Lists: 3

I agree there were covers I found at largest were 500px. The old site would just display as is, but the new script enlarges them and causes some distortion. Also not sure if its related but an API search that brings up a cover shows a highly distorted thumbnail/preview.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: the resizing has always been there (even in the old vine system). I'll chat w/ alexis (we'd have to tweak some of the css) to see if we can figure out a good image size that works for the new layout and without the distortion.

@wmwadeii: api search should return multiple images on an issue.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@mrpibb: trust me the old site didn't enlarge images, the max display width was 600px so if it was under 600px wide it wouldn't do any changes for cover view, if it was over 600px wide it would downsize to 600px wide :)

if it helps any I've already been working on some stylish scripts to mod the site for the stylish community and one section is for the cover view, if you change the cover box from a fluid percentage to a fixed 404px wide the cover box will stay a stationary size instead of variable (that way the wiki text column won't get shifted cause of the cover size). The following is a good mix:

.wiki-volume #credit-content aside.span5 { float:right; width:404px; }

.wiki-volume #credit-content section.span7 { width: 60%; }

this way the wiki content column stays fluid and resizes for the screen width but the image stays the same.

I'd also recommend removing the frame from covers that obfuscates the cover image (the semi-transparent frame around the image):

remove the box shadow from #credit-content .imgboxart:after and

#credit-content .imgboxart:after { position:relative !important; }

another reason to get rid of that frame is that it makes it so users can't right click the cover image to download it or copy a link to it so they can share it in the forum (I've had some complaints from users about not being able to).

the cover box then looks like this instead of this.

this is separate from the need to not upscale images of course.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

another reason to get rid of that frame is that it makes it so users can't right click the cover image to download it or copy a link to it so they can share it in the forum (I've had some complaints from users about not being able to).

Two frames plus the box-shadow around the cover image is too much. Besides, like you said one cannot click and enlarge the cover anymore and that's really annoying! This needs to be fixed.

johndoee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By johndoee
johndoee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johndoee said:

if you try 862px wide, will there be changes. i always resize the image to the pixel i want and then do some crop. http://www.rasteredge.com/how-to/vb-net-imaging/resize-image/

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@johndoee: depends on the height, if an image is wider then 640px it will resize the image larger until the height is 1280px or the width is around 830px if it is a standard comic cover, if it is a gatefold cover or wider then it is tall then it resizes down to a max of 640px wide.