Master Bug Reporting Thread for the New Wiki

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 456

#601 pikahyper  Moderator

@wcarle: does the spam filter track IP's so it can auto ban any new accounts using the same IP? I just went through one bots 83 accounts and only half were nuked before I started nuking the rest.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#602 pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: where? I just went through the latest five pages of Off-Topic and only found three threads, Gen had like two.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#603  Edited By wcarle  Staff

It should be running now, looks a config was not set properly that was my bad

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 22

@pikahyper: On General Discussion about 10Pm uk time last night. The spam filter might've picked them up before you saw them. That or someone deleted the threads.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#605 pikahyper  Moderator

@wcarle: Just found two spam threads in Gen since your post, I nuked both accounts, same IP, 27 28 accounts total, half nuked by 4 mods and the terminator, other half free to post, kuvuzociy. Previous question still stands #601.

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#608 pikahyper  Moderator

If an issue page has too many creators and the "View all X results" button shows up it is broken an leads to a 500 page, I think this has been around a while, example, works fine for characters though. And while looking at that page the bug where points won't be added to the Top Contributors box randomly is still happening, you get the points and they show up in the pages history but they just won't show up in the Top Contributors box.

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#610 pikahyper  Moderator

Super old bug, if an issue has an existing In-Store Date you can't remove it and save it as an empty field.

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New bug: Character appearances for Series are slow to update or do not show at all.

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bug: When adding the Adult theme to a volume, it makes the theme invisible when live but can only be seen when in edit mode. All other themes can be seen normally in live and edit mode.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#614 pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: that is intentional so that users can't view all adult volumes...

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: Oh that makes sense. But why not make it unclickable like all of the themes in the series section once they've been added?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#616 pikahyper  Moderator
Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle New bug:

When adding Box Office Revenue to a film, it rounds it up and displays the incorrect version when live. Yet, in edit mode it displays the correct amount.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#619 pikahyper  Moderator
Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: It's only a recent addition as I browse the site on mobile all the time. Today was the first day I noticed it. I know you can do it in Desktop mode, but never the mobile formatted version of the site up until now.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#621 pikahyper  Moderator
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#622  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

I finally figured out why the Top Contributors box glitches and doesn't show more then the initial 50 points for page creation sometimes, if the next (or subsequent) edit includes a stub page the entire edit doesn't get added to the point total, surprised I didn't notice it before...

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oddly specific bug.

Reviews can't be placed on the Detective Pikachu movie. All other movies are fine from what I can tell.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#624  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

More and more stuff just keeps breaking down...

• The search indexer has been down about 14 hours now
  • Looking at Previous Uploads I can only see the first 16 images, after that it will either show the loading gif non-stop or it just ends and nothing shows not even the loading gif
  • When going into edit mode the hud locks up a lot, when it does the tab can be scrolled but that's it, switching to other tabs they will also be locked
Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle@rorie Is there any particular reason why the mobile version of the site gets constant updates while the desktop version gets nothing?

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#626 wcarle  Staff

Both mobile and desktop are the exact same code but we've been doing a lot of general improvements lately some are most noticable on mobile. We are continuing to make general improvements though especially to the forums.

@pikahyper A lot of the problems are related to the sheer amount of content you have posted. We're trying to optimize but a lot of it is down to the size of the queries and the amount of content they have to parse through. We're continuing to work on that though. I may try to clear out/hide some of the edits that appear in your wiki hud to speed it up as a temporary measure

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#627  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@wcarle: I just need the basic active current edits in the hud, all the past stuff can go as I never use it, first time editing a page I don't need to see anything until I start making edits. Would it be possible to hide past contributions and delay loading the hud until I make the first edit? like going into edit mode doesn't load the hud at all until the first "saved" change then it pops up, I can't edit more then one page/tab at the same exact time so that should help with locking/freezing.

Also can you check the logs for the search indexer, the past couple weeks it seems like the indexer has gone down more then a few times overnight and gets restarted the next morning. It's catching back up but whatever is causing it should be fixed as it is a pain editing with pages not going into the index for long periods, I have to bookmark and revisit the next day, throws my schedule out of whack.

Edit: Oh is there something you can do about the site logging me out pretty regularly? some days it doesn't happen at all (rare) and usually it can happen up to a dozen times in a day. Huge pain in the ass since it resets the browse pages from Grid to Compact (which I loathe visually) and it resets the editor from showing Less to showing More, and of course all the ads show up, it is annoying when I open a bunch of tabs just to find I've been logged out then I have to log in again and refresh all my tabs and reset things the way I like them and loading the issue Browse page ordered by New Additions can still take over a minute to load so that sucks too after being logged out.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#628 wcarle  Staff

If it's resetting your grid settings then it seems like all your cookies are being erased. Could you have an extension that is causing that? That's super strange that it would be wiping all your cookies.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#629  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@wcarle: I have two privacy related extensions but CV is whitelisted/disabled for them both, I have it set so that most extensions are disabled for CV since it would make it hard for chrome to handle all the tabs with extensions slowing it down. I don't have this problem on any other sites. Next time it happens I'll check my cookies.

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle: Please don't do that again without warning us.

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle: Whatever you did broke some images.

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle: Even more images are breaking and tagging isn't working.

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle: Can we please get some sort of communication going? The massive lack of help throughout the last few months is appalling.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#634  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: pretty sure everything is back to normal now, the search index was over a month behind too.

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: Looks like it's back to normal now. My images are back, so I don't have to reupload em all. I just wish we were given a heads up before we all got kicked off the site.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#637 pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: honestly it didn't feel planned, starting something like that at 6am on a Wednesday is weird, pretty sure this is the highest traffic day and highest API usage, Sunday/Monday at midnight would have been way better, set it, go home, come in early the next morning.

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: Wcarle mentioned something about some bug fixes on another thread, but didn't mention on what scale. Any other day would've made sense, but Tues-Weds is the busiest days of the week since it's when we put out the new releases.

I just feel that we need some communication as to what's going on sometimes, but I don't think that's going to happen. We might in a few days time, but it'll be too late by then.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#639 pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: lack of communication is par for the course under CBS.

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: True. I'm also not getting notifications anymore. It's saying I have them, just not showing me that they're there.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#641 pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: I think the regular notifications problem is like a regional thing cause it effects people differently, I rarely notice a problem.

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: It has to be, I got one instantly for your tag just now. Yet, your previous one took twenty mins to come through.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#643 pikahyper  Moderator

Weird maybe new glitch in the wiki queue, if a user adds just a year to the cover date field when I hit approve it will change to two years earlier but if you look at the live page it still uses the original year so for example I see a sub and the user has added the year 1996 and it previously had no date added and then I hit Approve it will change to 1994 on the completed submission, I go look at the page and it uses 1996. If I then view the pages wiki history and check the edit it will be back to 1996 o.o?

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we please change how the search algorithm works for adding characters to issues/episodes? I'm sick of having to tab through multiple "See more results" pages for a character that has the most appearances of anyone by that name. It's not a major issue, it just drastically saves time when adding a lot of characters to pages. I end up making mistakes and deleting associations because someone with the same name has appeared one place higher than who I'm looking for.

For example, if you search for James (Team Rocket) who has 32 appearances, he'll appear on the 2nd page at the bottom, compared to all the others who have under 10 that are in front of him.

Take Eevee for another example, only 2 characters have that name. Yet, the character with 1 issue appearance is before the one with 31 issues.

Avatar image for darkside_of_the_sun
Darkside_of_the_Sun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

I agree with Cloudguy about the searching algorithm. I liked the old format that Comicvine once had. If you searched a particular name only that name would show up as you added the letters. If what you were searching for didn't exist nothing would show in the search box.

As an example creator Bob Smith. I can understand if there are several people of the same names. But what does Bob Sharen, Bob Wiacek, Bob Shreck and Bob Harras have to do with Bob Smith? Only the names Bob Smith and Robert Smith should appear. Those other names just clutter things up and add confusion.

The location New York State is another example you pretty much have to type out the whole name before it appears.

This is especially true when trying to add an image to an image section especially when it involves an issue. You can type the "exact title" and "issue number" and "still" not get the what you are looking for. At times, you have to go through page after page to find what you are looking for. This is painfully true if the issue search in question happens to be a #1 issue.

As for another broken issue when you go to "View Full History" and left click the "Edit #" nothing happens.

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#646  Edited By Cloudguy

@darkside_of_the_sun: I'd like to also add to this problem is when trying to search for a specific issue to be added to a page but it only gives you the option to search by name rather than add it via url, that no matter how exact the name is and issue # is, it will never be the first entry into the dropdown menu.

For example; I added Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #25 to the Green Power Ranger's page as a death, I put in the volume and issue number by copy pasting it into the search, but rather than being on the first page, it was on the fourth. Making it a pain to search for specific issues. What makes this problem worse, is that none of the issues that came up on the three pages were in the 20-30 issue bracket. And some of them weren't even the right volume.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#647 pikahyper  Moderator

@darkside_of_the_sun: @cloudguy: re issue search, the problem is that it isn't searching how we assume it would, when comic people search for an issue we think of the volume title + the issue number, that's not what the issue search is searching for, it is actually searching for the # & (or just) issue name/title, that's why we have such a hard time finding issues. Searching for volume title + issue number does pull up results but that is probably more of a fluke hence why it is so random, using the issue name/title is the only way to get it to search properly.

And for the "Edit #" right clicking and opening it in another tab is the way to force it to work.

@darkside_of_the_sun: The reason why when you search Bob Smith so many things come up is that modern CV search searches each word so instead of "Bob Smith" it is searching "Bob" and/or "Smith", they want it this way, probably because broadness produces more traffic, having no results like we want is a bad thing for traffic unfortunately.

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: it is actually searching for the # & (or just) issue name/title

Honestly, whoever thought that was a good idea when it came to searching issues is insane. A lot of issues on the wiki don't have issue names, not because we haven't added them, because they just don't have one. I would prefer if it was just changed to volume + issue #, that way it saves time and cuts down on mistakes.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#649 pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: well it just goes to show how little input they got from anyone that knows comics, remember all these people are from GB/GS, they are not all gamers but that is more in their wheelhouse after working on a gaming site so long. They've done well at figuring out what a comic site needs (probably just from our complaints) but a lot of it is still pretty foreign to them I'm sure.

Cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: It's understandable that comics aren't their area of expertise, but it's not like they don't have anyone to work off of. We're all knowledgeable on comics and we know what we need to get the site working to its full potential.

If anything, all we need is a conversation with the engineers about what realistically should be prioritised or done in general. Instead they drop by once every third month to let us know that they don't know what's wrong.