#501 Posted by Cloudguy (2198 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: Woop! Been wanting that added for ages. Means I can go around and start adding arcs for consistentcy to older shows.

Since you're here, what's up with the user icons on the main forums? Seems to have a css bug extending the borders for the icons.

#502 Posted by wcarle (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy: Oh that was actually a remnant of the title width fix. Just deployed a quick fix for that too.

Staff
#503 Edited by pikahyper (18355 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: ok this list of themes should work well enough:

• Action
  • Adaptation
  • Adult
  • Adventure
  • All Ages
  • Alternative
  • Animated
  • Anthology
  • Anthropomorphic
  • Biographical
  • Bronze Age (1970 - 1985)
  • Collection
  • Comedy
  • Crime
  • Digital Only
  • Drama
  • Fantasy
  • Fiction
  • Foreign
  • Franchise
  • Game Related
  • Golden Age (1938 – 1956)
  • Historical
  • Horror
  • LGBTQ
  • Live Action
  • Magic
  • Manga
  • Mature
  • Modern Age (1985+)
  • Music
  • Mystery
  • Non-Fiction
  • Other Media Related
  • Political
  • Print Only
  • Psychological
  • Romance
  • Science Fiction
  • Silver Age (1956 - 1970)
  • Slice of Life
  • Sports
  • Supernatural
  • Thriller
  • Translated
  • Underground
  • War
  • Western

Does the themes widget support selecting multiple themes already? is there a limit? if there is no limit they shouldn't display as a list but instead just comma separated in alpha order otherwise if could end up taking a lot of space.

And later on if theme usage picks up would it be easy enough to turn the themes into links when viewing a regular volume page so they can be clicked and a user can see all volumes tagged with a specific theme?

Can you add themes to Series and Movie pages as well? might as well use them.

Edit: Religion should be added to the themes list as well but I'm not sure which would be better: Religion or Religious, can't decide, probably Religious.

#504 Posted by pikahyper (18355 posts) - - Show Bio

Also hopefully this will just take some copy pasting (and a couple of new db tables) but I'd like you to add Country and Language to the sidebar section of Volume pages (Volume details), this is something I've wanted forever and it seems like it should be a super simple no brainer. Country would just be a list of countries and we'd be able to add the 'Country of Origin' for all volumes and then Language would just be a list of languages and we would be able to select which language the comics in a specific volume are in. I don't know how many engineers and staff members I've asked to add this but at this point it doesn't seem like a difficult addition. As for the order of the Volume details box it should be Name, Year, Publisher, Country, Language, Aliases, Themes. And if someone wants to get creative it would be nice if a flag of the selected country showed in the search results for volumes.

#505 Posted by Cloudguy (2198 posts) - - Show Bio
#506 Posted by pikahyper (18355 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy: weird I thought I had added it originally.

#507 Edited by pikahyper (18355 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy: See anything else that should be added? especially if themes get added to Series and Movies.

Edit: I'm on the fence about adding Reprint, Remastered, Restored, Travel and Alternate Reality.

#508 Edited by wcarle (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: Ok cool just added those themes you should see them now.

Yeah you can add multiple themes. There is no limit and they're set to display multiple lines right now I'll put some code in to make them comma delimited should be released soonish.

I also added a clickable link to them that'll just take you to the volume listing page pre-sorted to the specified theme.

Adding themes to new pages will take a bit more work. I'll create a ticket to do that later.

Edit: Actually, I'm going to keep it as a list with each theme on a new line. The comma delimited list didn't look very good. If it becomes a problem later on with too many themes we can revisit

Staff
#509 Posted by Cloudguy (2198 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: I think reprint should be added as it'll help differentiate versions if people aren't looking at release date. Plus sometimes there is new material on the side.

Not sure if this should just be an umbrella term or not, but Undead, Vampire, Ghouls, etc should be added.

• Alternate History
  • Afterlife (Loads of anime based on this concept)
  • Card Games (yu-gi-oh etc)
  • Mech
  • Magical Girl (Not sure on this one as we have it as a concept)
  • Monster of the Week
  • Ninja
  • Post-Apocalyptic (Same as Magical Girl)
  • Reboot (Since everything it getting rebooted lately)
  • Superhero
  • Time Travel
  • Virtual Reality

All I can think of for now, it's late for me and my brain needs sleep.

Although, while it's not a theme, I do think we should add mini-series and OVA's so that we can differentiate for some shows. Especially anime.

#510 Posted by Cloudguy (2198 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: Could you define what you mean be Franchise? I think I know what you're refering to but I just want to double check.

#511 Posted by pikahyper (18355 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy: I'm not sure about most of the ones on your list as they are pretty specific, most would work better staying as concepts that way they have their own page where they can be expanded upon. Alternate History would probably be a good one to use, the one I added as Game Related I mean for that one to cover Video Games, Card Games and Table-Top Games, what is Monster of the Week? As for Superhero I thought about adding that one for a while but it has a lot of abuse potential, I'll see how the system goes and if it gets used and probably have Superhero or Hero added. Mini-Series and OVA would probably be good to add. While some of the themes added are redundant I'm hoping to get rid of the genre based concepts as they were just stop-gap additions since we didn't have a genres system and the usefulness of the info on those pages is usually not great.

An example of a franchise would be like Star Wars, Star Trek, Ghostbusters, TMNT, Sword Art Online, Power Rangers, etc.. We have concept pages for some franchises like Star Wars and it's good for specificity but I think a broad franchise theme would be useful as well especially since mostly only the big franchises have concept pages. I am somewhat worried it'll be used as an extension of family pages though like everything Bat related or Supes, I really dislike family pages for the most part.

#512 Posted by Cloudguy (2198 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought that's what you mean't by franchise, glad to know that I was on the same lines.

Monster of the Week is a generic term used for shows that have throwaway villains for each episode rather than a major over-arcing storyline. Some shows such as Bleach in it's early stage used this during its stories to help pad out episodes. it's more of an American show thing. I'm pretty sure most of the Sonic shows used MotW along with Power Rangers as a major one. A few anime's use it for comedic purposes. Cute High Earth Defense Club Love! for example is a parody of the Magical Girl genre and likes to bring up the fact that they fight something each week.

On the note of Parody. Parody should probably be added.

I was thinking about how redundant some of the superhero uses might be as most people can tell it's a superhero show just by the name of it.

Which ones were you thinking worked?

#513 Posted by Cloudguy (2198 posts) - - Show Bio
@wcarle said:

@pikahyper: Ok cool just added those themes you should see them now.

Yeah you can add multiple themes. There is no limit and they're set to display multiple lines right now I'll put some code in to make them comma delimited should be released soonish.

I also added a clickable link to them that'll just take you to the volume listing page pre-sorted to the specified theme.

Adding themes to new pages will take a bit more work. I'll create a ticket to do that later.

Edit: Actually, I'm going to keep it as a list with each theme on a new line. The comma delimited list didn't look very good. If it becomes a problem later on with too many themes we can revisit

I just tried adding some themes. I can't click them once they've been added, so I'm not sure if it doesn't work or set to mod/staff only.

#514 Posted by pikahyper (18355 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle said:

@pikahyper:

I'm not seeing any links.

#515 Posted by pikahyper (18355 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy: Weird, first time I've heard MotW but it makes sense.

That work probably Alternate History, Reboot, maybe MOtW but it would probably be more useful as a concept. Maybe Parody.

#516 Posted by wcarle (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: That's a code change so it'll be released next week or so

@wcarle said:

@pikahyper:

I'm not seeing any links.

Staff
#517 Posted by Cloudguy (2198 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle said:

@cloudguy said:

@wcarle: It's removed from my queue, thanks.

Quick question. Is it possible to have episodes added to story arc pages in the sense that they appear in the same way character appearances in episodes do?

For example, I'd like to see what episodes of the X-Men Animated series covered the Dark Phoenix Saga. But at this moment in time, I'd have to either search for the arc on the episodes page or click through each episode page. It would also be nice as if someone was looking at story arcs it might bring them over to a series page that covered the arc.

Sure thing, just got the code added for that too, should be out next week

When is the above going to come into effect?

#518 Edited by wcarle (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy: It didn't make it in today's build but it should be in tomorrow's build so sometime in the early afternoon tomorrow probably

Staff
#519 Posted by Cloudguy (2198 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: Sounds good. I'll keep an eye out for it tomorrow then.

#520 Posted by jazz1987 (211 posts) - - Show Bio

I seem to be having issues editing things. For example I added a location it shows up but then then the link sends me to an error. Also something about and invalid ID when I want to edit things in individual issues?

#521 Posted by pikahyper (18355 posts) - - Show Bio

@jazz1987: reported last night and fixed this morning.

#522 Posted by jazz1987 (211 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: Thanks. I think it's back to normal now.

#523 Posted by pikahyper (18355 posts) - - Show Bio

@jazz1987: yep, it was super slow earlier then the wiki was completely down for like a half hour and it just came back a little bit ago back at "full" speed.

Also in case you haven't seen the other posts on this page the theme system on volume pages has finally been expanded, I suspect you'll enjoy it.

#524 Edited by pikahyper (18355 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: I see you are hiding the adult theme, is there any chance you can make the adult theme volume browse page work for mods/staff?

Also can you add these 18 themes:

• Academic
  • Alternate History
  • Cancelled
  • Complete
  • Educational
  • Event
  • Fighting
  • Magazine
  • Maxi-Series
  • Mini-Series
  • Missing Issues
  • One Shot
  • Ongoing
  • Parody
  • Pulp
  • Steampunk
  • Suspense
  • Unfinished

and rename the Comedy theme to Humor please.

The episode sections on arc pages looks good.

#525 Posted by Cloudguy (2198 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle@pikahyper The view all part of episodes on the story arc pages gives a 404 error.

#526 Posted by wcarle (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: Added those themes as well. As far as the filter for the adult theme I'll have to take a look I'm not sure how hard that would be

@cloudguy:Oops forgot to add the landing page, have some code ready for that should be out soonish

Staff
#527 Posted by pikahyper (18355 posts) - - Show Bio

Request: Can you make it so issue In-Store dates use the same formatting as the rest of the site? if the day is a single digital it adds a leading zero and is super annoying, for example if you have a Cover Date of February 6, 2019 the matching In-Store date is February 06, 2019. Air Date is the same for episodes it adds a leading zero as well that should be dropped.

#528 Edited by pikahyper (18355 posts) - - Show Bio

There is a bug with the urls for the themes landing page, my brain is not working very well so this explanation is probably weird, ok so if you click on a theme the landing page is like this:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/volumes/?themes[]=12

if you try to share that in a PM it becomes this:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/volumes/?themes%5B%5D=12/

and it breaks the filter and defaults to New Additions.

Now in the same vain if you add additional filters for example if you try to sort that theme by Total Issues you get this:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/volumes/?letter=&sortBy=issues&___creators=&___publishers=&fromYear=&toYear=&___arcs=&___characters=&___locations=&___teams=&themes%5B%5D=12

but again if you try to share it in a PM it becomes this:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/volumes/?letter=&sortBy=issues&___creators=&___publishers=&fromYear=&toYear=&___arcs=&___characters=&___locations=&___teams=&themes%5B%5D=12/

the / added to the end breaks the theme filter and it defaults to all volumes sorted by Total Issues.

#529 Edited by pikahyper (18355 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm assuming the database change happened since I was able to delete most of the undeletable pages but there are still five publisher pages that can't be deleted. There are no volumes, characters, series, teams or lists associated with them but two of them have creators associated which can't be edited. Movies and story arcs can't be filtered by publisher so I can't see if they are connected and locking the five publisher pages.

#530 Posted by pikahyper (18355 posts) - - Show Bio

Fixed: The tops of comment sections in articles and lists has been broken for a while visually but it is now fixed and has a nice refresh button as well.

#531 Posted by pikahyper (18355 posts) - - Show Bio

Bug: A lot of the time in the moderation queue the new thumbnails for associations (volumes, characters, creators, teams, etc.) are full size images instead of the thumbnails, refresh and sometimes they shrink, not a big problem but it is a little weird.

#532 Edited by Cloudguy (2198 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle

Request for the Series section of the wiki:

Cast & Crew

Add a new section to episode pages to allow cast and crew members to be credited. Due to the sheer number of roles that can be credited, keep it limited to a small number of important roles.

Once a creator has been added, allow two initial choices to choose from, Cast or crew. Once one of them has been selected, have a new dropdown menu appear based on the previous choice to have the following options appear.

Cast:

• Cameo

• Guest Starring

• Main Actor/Actress

• Supporting Actor/Actress

• Guest Voice Actor/Actress

• Main Voice Actor/Actress

• Supporting Actor/Actress

And if possible, allow the cast to be linked to a character so that their name appears next to it or vice versa.

Crew:

• Cinematographer

• Director

• Editor

• Producer

• Special Thanks

• Writer

Have their Series credit’s appear on their main page as currently on the Movies section, actors can be credited but no information is transferred to their own page, leaving them blank.

Teams

Have teams that appear in episodes have their own episode appearance count in the same sense that characters do.

Themes

Allow themes to be added to series, with the same features as volumes currently have. If possible, have a few themes exclusive to the series section as many shows; specifically anime, use their own terms. I.E: Shounen, Ecchi, Shoujo & Seinen.

Series in General

The landing page for series should not place the user on most popular as it hasn't changed in months, meaning it’s not the most popular in any way. It should be Publish Date, starting with the newest.

On that note, sorting by publish date hasn't worked since the site rework. It gives error 500 when sorted.

Series Details Box

Add a new section called based on/inspired that can be used to link to its source material or what was created afterwards. This will reduce the need to place it in the description box. This will help users find the original source material as manga can be incredibly hard to find the source for as titles can change between Anime and Manga

Add another section with two choices to choose from, Live Action and Animated with a link to anything else credited with those choices.

Quick Add

Remove quick add from the series section and place it into individual series section. I haven’t found a need to mass add series quickly compared to the amount of time I’ve spent adding hundreds of episodes consecutively.