#451 Edited by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: anything for CV to look forward to this year?

#452 Posted by Cloudguy (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: Do you have an ETA on when the site's visuals will be fixed?

#453 Edited by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: I know it's not related to the css changes but this started at the same time, for some reason when you add multiple new pages in succession they are not being added to the site in the order they are added. I'm super OCD about things being in order and when I add multiple issues in tabs they normally show up in the order that I added them but starting the same day as the GB update stuff has been showing up on the browse page (Wiki>Issues>Newly Added) slightly out of order, for example I just added 11 issues in 11 tabs, normally they would be in order 1 to 11 but for some reason 7 showed up first then 1-6 & 8-11, I add stuff pretty quick but I always wait until the dialog pops up about the submission being complete before moving on to the next tab. This has happened four or five times so far, it is very weird and making me twitchy.

Edit: Oh there's some other stuff that's been happening lately too like the wiki being extremely slow to respond even if it is only one page, even just loading a regular wiki page is slow as dirt. Also parts of edits are being lost more often, for example if you add a bunch of stuff to an issue page in lots of sections some of the stuff will disappear like deck text, description text or either/both the dates, usually it comes along with a chrome pop-up asking if I'm sure I want to navigate away (which usually happens anyways when you make an edit without closing the field), this is happening with all fields saved/closed, if you look at the edits history entry what drops isn't even listed. This used to happen every once in a while randomly but now it is pretty common, I get it regularly every day the past month or so.

#454 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: Also while you are fixing the search results visuals can you modify how search works based on how someone searches? like ok I get that when users search via the top search bar you want broad results returned so that people look at more pages, helps traffic and potentially gets users interested in other things, but in the wiki when doing association searches we are searching for specific things, it either exists or it doesn't, it is good to see similar results based on relevancy but we don't need broad per search word results, clicking through pages of results doesn't help traffic it just makes things harder to find and or confuses people because of alias results/multiple pages having the same name. For association searches it really needs to be catered to what we are using it for.

Issue searching should also be revisited, when searching for a specific issue of something like Batman #100 the specific result will usually be buried unless you search volume name+issue number+issue name, whenever I search for something it seems like the issue number doesn't even matter when searching for an issue if it has an issue name. Volume+number works if there is no name (and if it has been on the site a long time) but if there is a name you have to do volume+number+name to get it to find the issue. Editors should also not be able to add links in the wiki to articles or users, it is just weird.

#455 Posted by Cloudguy (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: Also while you are fixing the search results visuals can you modify how search works based on how someone searches? like ok I get that when users search via the top search bar you want broad results returned so that people look at more pages, helps traffic and potentially gets users interested in other things, but in the wiki when doing association searches we are searching for specific things, it either exists or it doesn't, it is good to see similar results based on relevancy but we don't need broad per search word results, clicking through pages of results doesn't help traffic it just makes things harder to find and or confuses people because of alias results/multiple pages having the same name. For association searches it really needs to be catered to what we are using it for.

I second this. On various occassions I'll end up searching for alias' or real names as they'll come up sooner then their actual name when searching for them. On other occassions I can search for certain characters and they won't turn up until the 3-4th page of characters. Most of which aren't even associated with what I typed.

#456 Posted by Cloudguy (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle@rorie@pikahyper I know you're working on updating the site's css and whatnot, but I feel that the colours for adding new pages still aren't there. Unlike the previous one where it was an awful shade of green; the new one is too similar to the text colour. Making it harder to differentiate for users. Although, it could just be me personally.

No Caption Provided

#457 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

It is nice to not have search results smooshed together anymore but now it is too far apart, this is another thing that doesn't work well on a computer screen, visually it looks nice but from a practical standpoint it's not great at higher and/or widescreen resolutions, especially for association searches, it requires a lot of left/right eye movement to confirm you are adding the right associations based off the meta-data. I think it needs to be re-evaluated.

#458 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

An old bug got fixed: if you add an image from a url to a wiki gallery you no longer get the error when you try to make it default and no more refreshing after adding before you can make the image default, works as it should now.

#459 Posted by Cloudguy (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

New bug (I think. Not gonna search back through 458 posts to see if this already exists). When adding new episodes and you hit the edit mode and leave the page without exiting edit mode, it'll appear in the my wiki contributions section. Normally, you can just remove it, but now I can't. I even worked on the page assuming any changes should fix it and it's still appearing, giving me the time I added it (yesterday) rather than my recent edit which is today.

#460 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

The scrambling of newly added issues on the browse page is getting way worse, added 89 issues and nine are out of the added order.

#461 Posted by fables87 (1769 posts) - - Show Bio

When you remove a character from the Friends & Enemies on a wiki page, you have to go to the character you removed too. It's not syncing well. However, when you add a Friend or Enemy, it will show up on both pages.

Avatar image for darkside_of_the_sun
#462 Posted by Darkside_of_the_Sun (129 posts) - - Show Bio

If a creator's contribution has the wrong box checked and you undo it, correct it with the right box and save it. The corrected box will appear after the save but the wrong box that was unchecked will still show under the creator's contribution.

#463 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

February fuzzy dates are slipping to March again. To reproduce go to an issue page with no previous dates added, and from the month drop down select February and it will display March. If you re-select it will actually use February so it is just the initial February that slips.

#464 Posted by Cloudguy (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorting a series through publish date gives an error 500.

#465 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

I hadn't noticed it until just now but when you use the top search bar you can't go back in the pages of results, only See More is available. Also this is an old bug that is still around but it has to do with search, a lot of the time the results will get stuck on the third page of results, clicking See More just reloads the third page of results.

#466 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

Themes are suddenly on Creator & Character pages.

Avatar image for darkside_of_the_sun
#467 Edited by Darkside_of_the_Sun (129 posts) - - Show Bio

While trying to click and view any "Edit #" in the "Wiki Edit History" it won't open up.

While trying to click and view any image in the "Images" tab it won't open up

Using an LG Smart TV.

#468 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

While trying to click and view any "Edit #" in the "Wiki Edit History" it won't open up.

This is an older one, you have to right click and open the edit # in a new tab.

#469 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes if you add too many issues or episodes in a short period of time some of the issues/episodes will "detach" and lose all data i.e. the issues/episodes will not be linked to the volume/series, the user added default image will be gone leaving CV's default image and any text added to the deck/comment field will disappear so you are left with a free floating issue/episode with no default image and empty fields except for the issue/episode name if you add it, that does show up. The most recent time this happened was a couple hours ago when I added 39 issues in under a minute, 2 out of 39 were glitched in this way.

#470 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been getting a lot of 504 errors on the issue browse page when sorting by New Additions, it is slow enough as it is but having to refresh multiple times is really annoying.

#471 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

For the past week and a half or so I've been getting randomly logged out of CV when visiting mod related pages and it also resets some of my CV related preferences like having the More toolbar open when I always have it closed and browse pages showing Compact instead of Grid. Some days it doesn't happen at all and other days it can happen up to a half dozen times. It is weird and kind of annoying.

#472 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

Front page is loading slow again and the top contributors has a css glitch:

No Caption Provided

#473 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

The slowness of the wiki the past two weeks has been excruciating!!! I spend more time waiting for things to load then actually editing, ridiculous.

#474 Posted by Cloudguy (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

New bug; The About Me page of the user account is unable to be edited in anyway.

#475 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

For the past week and a half or so I've been getting randomly logged out of CV when visiting mod related pages and it also resets some of my CV related preferences like having the More toolbar open when I always have it closed and browse pages showing Compact instead of Grid. Some days it doesn't happen at all and other days it can happen up to a half dozen times. It is weird and kind of annoying.

This is now screwing with my editing, I'm getting force logged out while editing pages so I just get error messages until I refresh the page or open another page in another tab to get the log-in page...

#476 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok this one has been a problem for a while, if you go into edit mode for an issue that has an existing fuzzy date and you edit any field that requires you to click the finalize checkbox for it the fuzzy date display will empty out, three dashes for month and four dashes for quarter and year, the fuzzy date isn't actually modified it is just the display, it is annoying though if you edit from the top down, by the time you get to the dates you have to scroll back up to confirm if a cover date is displayed next to the breadcrumbs.

#477 Edited by Cloudguy (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a bug, but more of a ease of use request. Is there any chance we can have an episode appearance count of teams on their wiki page in the same style as characters?

#478 Edited by Cloudguy (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

New bug? If you create a H2 followed consecutivley by H3 and h4, the H3 won't show up in the table of contents. Althought the h4's will.

Edit: Nevermind, it's fixed itself.

@pikahyper@wcarle

#479 Edited by Cloudguy (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper@wcarle@rorie

Scratch what I said in the last post. The table of contents is broken. if you take a look at the Toc on The Doctor's page you'll see only 3 novels listed on the Toc. Yet, if you scroll down you'll see tons more. On top of that, the H3's don't work for me in that section.

#480 Posted by wcarle (140 posts) - - Show Bio

Putting in tickets for all these issues.

@pikahyper which pages in particular are slow for you? Editing certain characters? Mod tools? The more details the better.

Staff
#481 Posted by Cloudguy (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle:

Um...

No Caption Provided

The CSS seems to be a little off for comments on a list.

#482 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: all pages; wiki, profiles, front page, wiki queue is usually speedy but that's cause I keep it pretty empty, today is better then usual.

Also what's with the font size increase, it was normal two hours ago, I go run some errands and now it is bigger.

#483 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: oh can you open another ticket for the bug that removes the creation edit for wiki pages? if an editor creates a page they show up as the top editor for the page with 50 points but if they edit the page or another editor edits the page that initial record is overwritten, so for example if the next edit on the page is for 50 points and the page creator edits again they should then have 100 points on the page but they don't they only have the new 50 points and if another editor edits the page it overwrites the record of the original editor and they now have 50 points on the page and the original editor is no longer displayed. I really don't like taking credit for another editors page and it probably discourages/confuses/angers brand new editors if a page they created is attributed to someone else.

And whens that database commit going to finally happen that unlocks all those undeletable pages?

#485 Posted by Cloudguy (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorting by publish date for episodes needs to have the date scale back further as the farthest back it will go by specific year is 1947. If you search by all years, it'll show episodes going as far back as 1940 as the oldest.

#486 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: long shot but can you please add the following three creator roles: Assistant, Designer, Translator.

#487 Posted by wcarle (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: Sure no problem. They should be there now

Staff
#488 Posted by wcarle (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy said:

Sorting by publish date for episodes needs to have the date scale back further as the farthest back it will go by specific year is 1947. If you search by all years, it'll show episodes going as far back as 1940 as the oldest.

I put in a code change for this too, should be out before too long.

Staff
#489 Posted by Cloudguy (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: Any chance you can look at my Wiki Contributions? I have an "active edit" that's been there for 2 months that won't shift. Nothing I do will get rid of it.

#490 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: well that was a surprise, do you have an ETA for when existing role changes will be fixed? i.e. a creator has the Artist role already and then in a separate edit I want to remove Artist and add Penciler and Inker, currently Artist won't be removed it will just have all three, only way to do it is to remove the creator, save then add back with the new role(s).

#491 Posted by wcarle (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: Haven't had a chance to look at that one yet, I'll go ahead and bump that ticket in priority though. The delete pages change is moving along. The database changes needed for that to work are actually pretty huge so we're being extra careful.

@cloudguy:That submission should be gone now, if not let me know

Staff
#492 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: is there a ticket in for restoring functionality to the wiki queue that we used to have on the old site? for example having associations be links so we can confirm new editors are adding the correct associations and being able to view what volume/series an issue/episode is being added to with the ability to change it. Basically just having most of this static text be more useful. If not links maybe display the pages thumbnail so we can at least get a hint, there is a lot of whitespace after all that could be put to use.

#493 Posted by wcarle (140 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like we do have a ticket in there for moderation improvements like that. I'll bump that one up in priority too, we should be able to get that worked on next sprint

Staff
#494 Edited by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: thanks.

any chance you can run a quick query for me to get a count on how many issue pages have the creator role of Journalist selected? and optionally output a spreadsheet of the issue urls (if it's not a lot).

Edit: Also I'd like to request a button be added to the wiki editor "More" menu just for mods and staff, Video, someone was able to do it for Code so I'm hoping it would be easy to add. It is annoying and time consuming having to go into a forum thread and add the video to a post then copy/paste the raw code over to the wiki.

Edit Again: And can you put a ticket in to add more meta-data to association searches, specifically: add Publisher to Teams, add issue counts for Creators, Teams, Locations, Concepts, Objects & Story Arcs (if zero issues it should display that), and add Country to Creators (if it is added to their page). Ideally all the requested meta-data should also be added to the top search as well. I have another bit of meta-data I'd like added but it would probably be tricky to do, I'd like to add the top three publishers for Locations so like if I'm searching for something like Australia I'd like to see the three publishers that use this location the most formatted like (Marvel, DC, Image). Sometimes locations can be tricky if multiple publishers use their own version of a location so seeing the one to three publishers that use it will help pick out the right one for example Atlantis, most publishers use the standard version but then the Stargate franchise has its own completely different Atlantis but you can't tell easily in search results which is which (it would be even better of course if associations were links but the meta-data would also be helpful).

Edit Again: Can you also please open a ticket to remove Themes from Creator and Character pages, not sure why they got added to begin with.

#495 Posted by Cloudguy (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: It's removed from my queue, thanks.

Quick question. Is it possible to have episodes added to story arc pages in the sense that they appear in the same way character appearances in episodes do?

For example, I'd like to see what episodes of the X-Men Animated series covered the Dark Phoenix Saga. But at this moment in time, I'd have to either search for the arc on the episodes page or click through each episode page. It would also be nice as if someone was looking at story arcs it might bring them over to a series page that covered the arc.

#496 Posted by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

Please disable the wall posting limit for mods/staff, it is annoying, a lot of the editors walls I post on are inactive in the forum with few followers so other users rarely post on their walls so even if there is a gap of time where I don't post on their walls it still counts towards the limit.

#497 Posted by wcarle (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle: is there a ticket in for restoring functionality to the wiki queue that we used to have on the old site? for example having associations be links so we can confirm new editors are adding the correct associations and being able to view what volume/series an issue/episode is being added to with the ability to change it. Basically just having most of this static text be more useful. If not links maybe display the pages thumbnail so we can at least get a hint, there is a lot of whitespace after all that could be put to use.

I have a fix ready for this now, it should go live early next week. Sorry about that one, it slipped through the cracks for a while

Working on this one now, should have some code ready soon

I'll get back to your other posts as soon as I finish with that one ^

Staff
#498 Posted by wcarle (140 posts) - - Show Bio

Here are all the issues with journalist credits: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mM4BbASScbCUhW2wpc0dN3ckfwm3gVLr/view?usp=sharing

any chance you can run a quick query for me to get a count on how many issue pages have the creator role of Journalist selected? and optionally output a spreadsheet of the issue urls (if it's not a lot).

Staff
#499 Edited by pikahyper (18348 posts) - - Show Bio

@wcarle said:

Here are all the issues with journalist credits: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mM4BbASScbCUhW2wpc0dN3ckfwm3gVLr/view?usp=sharing

@pikahyper said:

Thanks, lot more then I expected, Journalist was one that was never really well defined, even Tony couldn't really explain it back in the day. Hypothetically if I was to change all the journalist roles to something else and it was a role that was no longer used would you be able to delete it without causing problems? how bout renaming it, would that cause problems?

The thing I'm trying to figure out is a way of better role labeling for editors as it is a very broad role and currently a lot are used: editor, consulting editor, assistant editor, associate editor, copy editor, group editor, managing editor, senior editor, collection editor, series editor and probably some others I'm forgetting, basically the Other role is being used for too many things since I use Editor+Other for all these editor positions (other then regular Editor) but I can't think of a good way of setting it up without making the list of roles longer then it is as adding those new three made it pretty long, would it be possible to change the editor checkbox role into a checkbox+dropdown so it would only take one list row but be used for all the editor types? if a checkbox+drowdown is possible some additional new roles and some of the existing lesser used ones could be merged into an Other dropdown thereby shrinking the visual space the roles take up.

Also can you start a ticket for adding more themes, the themes system is a tossed together afterthought and super basic but it would be nice to actually get some use out of it by adding more themes like horror, sci-fi, slice of life, fantasy, and other genre type themes. And if it can't already it would be nice if we could select multiple themes for each volume. Oh and themes are still showing up on Creator and Character pages.

#500 Posted by wcarle (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper:Yeah I could easily rename the journalist role or delete it whichever would be better

Unfortunately with editor it would be quite a lot of work to add a checkbox/dropdown combo since we'd have to set up some sort of parent child relationship between roles. The UI is all autogenerated based on the roles in the database (hence it being so easy to update) but that also means that in order to setup a dynamic UI that contains parents and children would be quite a bit of work.

Adding themes is super easy too. Just shoot me a list and I can add them.

Also, I have the code ready for removing themes from characters and creators and for adding the video option to the editor. Those changes should be out next week.

@cloudguy said:

@wcarle: It's removed from my queue, thanks.

Quick question. Is it possible to have episodes added to story arc pages in the sense that they appear in the same way character appearances in episodes do?

For example, I'd like to see what episodes of the X-Men Animated series covered the Dark Phoenix Saga. But at this moment in time, I'd have to either search for the arc on the episodes page or click through each episode page. It would also be nice as if someone was looking at story arcs it might bring them over to a series page that covered the arc.

Sure thing, just got the code added for that too, should be out next week

Staff