Login Problems

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Darkchild

I for some reason was logged out, when I have it saved to always stay logged in think that might be my end but, Just tried logging into any of my accounts, and it said that I have not been validated. Only able to login through FB and I find that irritating.

Also if its a not being validated problem, why was I not sent an email or seen anything that would require it.

Anyone having these problems as well?

Avatar image for lelouch_vi_britannia
Lelouch_vi_Britannia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm having issues logging in.

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't log in to my Kratesis or Lady Liberty accounts.

Ruby_Waters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am having this problem with a great many accounts.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lovely, so long as im not alone right

Avatar image for lelouch_vi_britannia
Lelouch_vi_Britannia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is telling me to verify my account.

Now, this wouldn't be a problem... except for the fact that I'm an idiot who forgot his password to an email I don't use much anymore >_>

That and I don't think it's legitimate. This account doesn't have that problem.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: -43

#7  Edited By rorie

This is the URL to use if you're getting this error:

https://auth.comicvine.com/email/resend/

You will of course need to have a valid email address to send the verification email to for each account that you're trying to login to. If you don't know the password to the email you used to register or no longer have access to it, send me an email at support@comicvine.com with the name of the account and the email you'd like to have associated with it (so long as it's not associated with any other account), and I can change it on my end.

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So now this? All the other annoying bugs that just go on and on and now this?

Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@rorie: I think the problem is that these are old accounts that are requesting to be verified as if they're new ones. I'm getting the error too (had to log in via facebook) and going to that link you posted, I put my email in cus I thought maybe I'd have to re-validate due to this update or whatever, but it was telling me there was no account linked to it.

Sites still not working quite right, so should I assume stuff is still taking a bit to get up to speed?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fhiz: If you experience any errors just send all your information to support@comicvine.com and I'll look into it as soon as I can.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

@rorie: Thank you for posting that. I couldn't log in and that fixed my problem.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fhiz: Actually I think I see the problem with your specific email address and fixed it. Try that link again in 20-30 minutes and hopefully it'll work. If not hit me up at the support address.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strigidae_22: we needed to catch our code based up so we could start working on comicvine (it's been about 8 months behind). Unfortunately, it's resulted in some catching up on registration which is causing these issues. Once that's cleaned up, it'll be easier for us to attack the various bugs and work on features then before.

MenaceForever2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MenaceForever2

I am having this issue, it have been able to successfully re-validate this account and CantThinkOfName but I have no idea what email I used for my YoungJustice account, any help on this?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@menaceforever: Just send an email to support@comicvine.com with the username and an email address you want associated with it and I'll get it hooked up when I get back into the office tomorrow morning.

Ruby_Waters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you're saying we have to come up with new email addresses to cover all of this and then start over? Is that what I'm getting?

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hey all

we're rolling back some of the registration, so please bear with us for an hour or so. Afterwards, you should be ok w/ your current validation. That said, I would recommend validating your account and email address sometime just to make sure we don't run into these issues moving forward.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same thing happened to me. I verified my email and now it's all good.

MenaceForever2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Some of the emails I used for these accounts are six years old and never been used except for the one time to create an account. Not only do I not remember the passwords, I have no clue what the email addresses themselves are.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rorie

@gambler: As mentioned above, just send me an email at support@comicvine.com with the accounts you need to have updated. I'll need working email addresses to associate with each one.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gambler said:

Some of the emails I used for these accounts are six years old and never been used except for the one time to create an account. Not only do I not remember the passwords, I have no clue what the email addresses themselves are.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: that doesnt help the fact that, we have accounts from years ago that we no longer remember the email. Does this mean that they are lost forever? Or do we need to remake email addresses for each one?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkchild: Wait around half an hour and see if Danny can come up with a fix for the validation issue. If that doesn't work, then I'll probably need new working email address for any accounts that you want to use. I won't need the old email addresses.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Darkchild

@rorie: i sent one email so far. If I happen to remember more ill email more. Or just recreate them. Lets keep our fingers crossed Dan the Man can save the day

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkchild: Yep, that's definitely what I'm hoping for. Otherwise it's going to be a long night of changing email addresses for me. :(

Sorry for the trouble, everyone. Hopefully it'll get sorted soon. But, as Danny said, it's a good idea to have working email addresses for your accounts, just in case we ever have to do something crazy like a mass password reset or warn you of a security breach or alert you about an exciting investment in Nigeria that's exclusive to you. But like I said, hopefully we can get all this resolved without having to worry about that tonight.

Eric_james

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Eric_james

I cant accsess my Leon_Disseda acc. Its saying i need email verification

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mrpibb

@eric_james: Please try reloging again. We've removed the verification step.

Kratesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That fixed the problem for me.

Urban_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kratesis said:

Same

Fukuro_Zoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kratesis said:

Quite.

Ruby_Waters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're back. Thank you.

_Splits_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of the most... I don't even have a word to describe how stupid this is. I'm tired of putting my tongue in a choke-hold, this is just freaking incompetent. The site was just fine as it was three years ago; just take a look at Anime Vice. Not half as many bugs, and the ones it did have were barely noticeable. Every update since then has been nothing but devolution with a few simple 'benefits' tossed in.

Been holding that in for a long, long time. This was the last straw, I'm tired of this crap. Ban me, lecture me on how it's not the staff's fault, make excuses, whatever. I don't care, I've said what I needed to say and I'm leaving it at that.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mrpibb

@_splits_: hey, you're welcome to complain about how the site is and I wouldn't fault you for it. Comic Vine has had a rough last year, but that is what happens when you go through a complete code rewrite. The gains that are present is the availability of a full engineering staff behind the property and the project (we've had at most 5 engineers working on the site before, and at some times, barely half). We had to do one more big release (what happened today) because Comic Vine (and Giant Bomb which is next on the list tomorrow) fell behind due to work in other areas.

This purely and simply was tech debt cleanup. It gets our platform into the same happy spot and allows the engineering and design teams to make feature changes and bug changes much more easily. We've implemented many features (the most visible right now is a new better video player) that will help the growth of Comic Vine moving forward.

I'm sure I'm setting myself up for flames and I can totally understand people getting fed up, but I don't know what the growth of Anime Vice looks like moving forward. If all I knew was that a site would never get new features or grow, I could easily get it stable and friendly, but it would completely stagnate with not possibility of evolution. I do know what we can do with Comic Vine, what we want to plan out, and this release, no matter how painful it was is needed. From a technical and design side, I can now put resources on Comic Vine to first fix issues, but also add in features that have been sorely lacking and requested both by its users and staff.

That was my 2 pence. Have at it as you will.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36  Edited By Pyrogram

@mrpibb: Just saying this is not really true at all.

I'm sure I'm setting myself up for flames and I can totally understand people getting fed up, but I don't know what the growth of Anime Vice looks like moving forward. If all I knew was that a site would never get new features or grow, I could easily get it stable and friendly, but it would completely stagnate with not possibility of evolution.

Comic Vine has devolved and we have lost multiple (good) features and gained nothing. We have lost the ability to do multiple things on the image editor. Super bios went. Trophies. The follower system with the "who's online" flag was brilliant, and now that's gone too. And we have a million other things which have devolved and turned worse. The site has not "evolved" in any way noticeable to the user. Nobody actually cares about a new video player, you know that right? People care about having posts which WORK and do not get eaten by the site. People care about being able to log in without having to verify their accounts for no reason. Anime Vice has more user accessible features which are noticeable and have fewer bugs with NO engineers.

Comic Vine is moving backwards, simple as that.

And what the heck is up with the text zoom-in? It makes no sense. Another useless and damaging "update" or rather downgrade.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mrpibb

@pyrogram: what text zoom-in (I'll see if that was a bug or something else)?

We needed to catch Comic Vine up in code. The whiskey changeover required that we rewrite the code base, there was no getting around that, no way to use the old code base (I would've loved to have just moved in and used that, but we weren't given access). That's an advantage that Anime Vice has on us. It's got a settled code base with some 4-5 years of seasoning, something which we're trying to get to. The fact is that we can now go back to working on things like the who's online flag, super bios, polls for battles, trophies, etc. Previously, it would've taken a one-off engineering effort to get these features in no guaranteed development support.

I'll take the blame in this (no true salve to people who are suffering) since I'm the engineering lead. It's always painful to rebuild a site and figure out what to do with specific features. Time constraints, product requirements, and a small engineering team take a toll on everybody (I'm sure that Tony is frustrated out of his mind right now), but I want to see Comic Vine move forward and grow. It's taken steps backwards, but without this change, it couldn't move forward.

Again, I'm providing reasoning as to why this needed to happen. The team has been working to get everything back into a stable state and with the ability to fix issues and add new features as they come in. It doesn't look that way, but the backend has been rewritten to catch up with where GameSpot and Giant Bomb are. Fixes should now come much faster and quicker as the team works on issues without having to worry about compatibility on multiple code bases. Tech debt was a major problem that we had with Comic Vine (and Giant Bomb for that matter). This let's us pay it off and move forward.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrpibb: Maybe that's just my resolution or something. I'll look into that myself.

Anyhow, I understand what you are saying about the complete code rewrite and appreciate how hard that is. But what I am saying is the site is going through changes quite often and wanting to "advance" without correcting the faults which already lie. Nobody wants new features or things to work when we cannot post without our words being deleted by the site. The most basic thing about an online forum is posting, correct? And yet the site disallows the users that basic ability. I have had my posts "eaten" so many times I have lost count. Fixing that problem should have and should be your first priority.

The basic bugs are holding advancement back, nobody wants to see innovation if we cannot even fix the basics. It has taken way too long for these fixes and it's getting very very annoying. The "posting" bug has been ongoing for a very long time, and no amount of excuses can excuse that.

_Splits_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By _Splits_

@mrpibb: I'd rather live forever in purgatory than spend time in Hell for the POSSIBILITY of getting to a heaven. It was good enough.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_splits_: Hey, I can't argue with that. I hope you continue to stick with us as we get back to where we need to be, but I also completely understand the frustration (both as a lurking user and a developer on the site). Just providing background as to why this release needed to happen. The purgatory would not have stayed a purgatory based on the amount of tech debt that existed within the system, it would've decayed to a point of no return.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#42 pikahyper  Moderator

@mrpibb: the text zoom mentioned is that post font size has increased by about 3px. It used to be smaller just in the forums but now it is the same size as the wiki.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pyrogram

@mrpibb: the text zoom mentioned is that post font size has increased by about 3px. It used to be smaller just in the forums but now it is the same size as the wiki.

This! It makes everything rather annoying and should be fixed.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: @pikahyper: ah got it, sorry my eyes are horrid. let me see if we can get that out.

We are working on the forum posts being eaten, it's related to forum search currently having problems and should hopefully have a resolution soon.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pyrogram
mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mrpibb

just rolled out a fix for the beast that was eating forum posts. If you continue to see posts getting eaten, please pm or at me.

Damn, notifications are slow, going to dig into that

Eric_james

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gumflabica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had the same problem, but it fixed itself after I..... Erased my internet history.

Shut up guys! I'm just trying to help!

Kbroskywalker2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Kbroskywalker2

Heym Had to make a new account since my old facebook tied account won't let me log in. Here was the error message:

"Given URL is not whitelisted in Client OAuth Settings: This redirect failed because the redirect URI is not whitelisted in the app’s Client OAuth Settings. Make sure Client and Web OAuth Login are on and add all your app domains as Valid OAuth Redirect URIs."