Is there a Night-Mode for evening time or to save power on your phone?

#1 Posted by MegaCityOne (214 posts) - - Show Bio

Very bright! a button to make everything blue, green, purple or something?

#2 Posted by Cloudguy (2648 posts) - - Show Bio

@megacityone: Apologies fot thr late reply. Sadly their isnt anything we can do about the brightness of the site. Before the visual overhaul we used to have a dark mode but it was removed due to lack of use (apparently).

I don't know if their is anything that can je downloaded via an app store to change the brightness. But if you use chrome or firefox on pc you can download a few browser apps to get partial dark themes.

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
#3 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18089 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow a night mode, good idea. We should get one of those.

(Oh wait we already had one but it was stupidly removed)

#4 Posted by Cloudguy (2648 posts) - - Show Bio

@major_hellstrom: I was a huge fan of the dark theme when we had it. I basically allways used it whenever I could. According to @wcarle (tagging you so you can clarify) dark mode was removed because not enough users, used it when it was available.

#5 Edited by pikahyper (18483 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy: While that was a big factor I believe it had more to do with the amount of work it took to maintain two sets of visual styles for multiple sites, it is a lot of work to update and test.

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
#6 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18089 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy: Almost all of the active users I have spoken to used dark mode regularly. The issue is that light mode was standard and most didn’t know how to switch so data probably showed that few people use it.

#7 Posted by Cloudguy (2648 posts) - - Show Bio

@major_hellstrom: Don't get me wrong, I do understand your pain as the brightness of the site occasionally becomes a problem for my eyes too. I was the one to create a poll thread the moment it became apparent that people weren't too happy with its removal.

But @pikahyper: did mention something valid. It does take quite a lot of effort to maintain two colour schemes for a website. Although it would be nice to have some formal/official response from staff.