Black Panther #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

How well do people know Black Panther? The average person not too well versed in his comic history might think he's just a cool-looking guy in a black suit that has a tendency to kick butt. He's clearly a much more complex character than that and Ta-Nehisi Coates does an excellent job in conveying that in the first issue of this new series.

T'Challa may have spent a lot of time in superhero adventures with the Avengers and Fantastic Four, but there are heavier layers to who he is and what his responsibilities are. The political climate in Wakanda is in turmoil. The fighting that ensues is not something we normally see in a comic book. As Black Panther attempts to put a stop to the dire situation, we get a good sense of how complicated things can be. This is an important aspect of who Black Panther is. Tapping into the different culture and the problems that arise is a key factor in making this book stand apart from the countless others on the store shelves.

Coates doesn't simply focus on T'Challa. We get a look at other characters in his life and country. There is some set up going on for a bigger story, but it's an intriguing set up. You may have come to see Black Panther, but you be sticking around to see what develops with the others. With the complex nature of Black Panther and the political conflicts in Wakanda, there are some moments of setting up the bigger picture. We do jump around and it feels a little jarring, but it's safe to assume it will all pay off.

Brian Stelfreeze's art captures the regal nature of the ruler of a country along with the strife that can explode at any moment. Wakanda has a fascinating landscape. Stelfreeze depicts the mix of advanced technology, the primitive jungles, and futuristic cities. Stelfreeze art is extremely expressive in showing the raw action along with more serene moments where characters are deep in conversation.

I wasn't too sure what to expect with this series after it was announced. I purposely avoided reading what Coates had planned in order to be able to take it all in. That decision paid off big time. Stelfreeze's art is perfect for this book, and I can't wait to see him get to unleash further. There's a lot to take in and several characters to get to know. I can't remember the last time I was so curious to see what the next issue would deliver. Coates and Stelfreeze are giving us the Black Panther we didn't realize we wanted.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I was willing to bet this would get a 5 just cause it's Black Panther.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for child_of_the_past
Child_of_the_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Great book, will be getting issue #2

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was actually really good. I want to see what happens next.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Really wish Marvel would stop with these $5 #1s...

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dan12456

I loved it. I'm always worried when I hype up a series that it will fail to live up to expectations. But that was not an issue this time. Loved Ayo and Aneka especially (and their costume designs are SO cool). This is a 5/5 for me.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 owie  Moderator  Online

I was a little underwhelmed. The art is a little simplistic and blocky for my tastes. I enjoyed Coates' letters page though, and the end matter was kind of interesting. Based on that, I think it is mostly the art that was a problem for me. For instance, Coates' text describes the scene as being like the Boston Massacre. I don't get that hardly at all from the image. So I think if the images were more evocative of the text, that might do it more for me.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Definitely a first issue. We meet at least six main characters who will (assuredly) play big roles in the rest of the 11-issue run (can we convince you to continue, Coates?) Hopefully things will be more focused going forward.

Did love the art.

ogg927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a great read. I loved the build up and I'm now invested in these characters. I can't wait to find out what happens next? The art was beautiful and perfectly matched with a complex and intriguing story.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really wish Marvel would stop with these $5 #1s...

Yeah, almost didn't pick this up because of that. Glad I did, though, since they actually utilized the extra pages instead of just throwing in filler stories

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i enjoyed the art, however the main story was kinda backtracked with i assume introducing supporting cast and what not into the story, while we need that to build up a familiarization with BP and his supporting cast, i felt there was more of the attention with others in the book rather then Black Panther himself. i'll see how i feel next issue....

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed this issue

Avatar image for marthamanhunter
MarthaManhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was fantastic. Easily a 5/5 for me. Coates has set up an incredibly intriguing political narrative with what looks to be a civil war coming to Wakanda. The dialogue thundered off the pages and you really get a sense of how great a writer Coates is.

I can't wait to see more from Ayo and Aneka. They were the stars of this first issue.

freemanlouis7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It was like watching someone set up chess pieces on the board, not very exciting but you can tell more compelling moments are to come. 3 stars.

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Arinya

I think I need to go back and read it again because this came across really stale. I guess I was expecting to know more about T'Challa himself and instead you are in the middle of turmoil. I'm not even really sure why and by the end of the book I don't care. What am I missing here? I really didn't care for the art either. Very uninspiring. I was expecting something more alive but it was just as dull as the story. The silhouette scene of the two antagonist was interesting though and the reveal at the end was intriguing as well.