inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Before we get into all of this, I wanted to yammer-on for a moment. I'm not going to jump on some moral high-ground or barrage anyone with my beliefs. I will say as a one-time student of film that I have a bizarre appreciation for the exploitation films like blaxploitation, sexploitation, women in prison films, mondo films, and spaghetti westerns, which is borderline exploitation at best. I could go on and on why I've spent so much time watching these films, but I'd rather talk about BITCH PLANET.

Writer Kelly Sue DeConnick hits the exploitation vibe, mainly the women in prisons sub-genre. The second you see the cover, which says "Girl gangs... caged and enraged," you know what you're getting, but there's also an understanding this book isn't going to take itself too seriously. DeConnick's writing is some of the strongest I've read in quite some time, and I'm a fan. Her dialogue really helps move this along, as well as giving the reader insight to these brand new characters.

BITCH PLANET takes place at the Auxiliary Compliance Outpost, a women's prison for those who are "non-compliant," a term the reader has yet to learn the meaning of. What DeConnick does really well in this opening issue is develop the setting. She doesn't just give the reader the setting though. She gives us some of the inner-workings of everything and the dynamic of the prisoners and the guards. She paints a full picture of this place, and it's intriguing and something readers will gravitate towards from future issues.

The art for this book is pretty dang awesome. Valentine De Landro covers the art and the rocking cover and Cris Peter worked on the colors. De Landro has a very distinct style and he uses his heavy shadowing extremely well. This is the type of art you want on a book: strong, stylistic, and something to compliment the awesome writing. Also kicking it into overdrive Peter, whose color style is relatively flat, but emphasizes De Landro's style. These two artists are truly in sync with one another. There is a fantastic panel, towards the end of the issue, where a someone gets their throat slit and the blood flows out of their neck, and their lips are highlighted, but nothing else. It's startling and begging to grab the attention of the reader.

The Bad

There's a few things that are unclear and there's a bit of confusion going on with Mrs. Collins. It's given a bit more meat at the end of the issue, but I still feel like I'm missing something. At points, following the book is a no brainer, but there's just a few moments here and there that left me scratching my head. It's the first issue, so a lot of this will most likely be cleared up next month.

The Verdict

For a moment, let's step away from the online hype and promotion. This book is awesome without it. Sure, there's certainly a feminism slant towards the book and if you're the type of person that gets turned off by things like that, first, you're silly. Secondly, this book stands on its own as pretty dang rad for a first issue. Is this book geared towards women readers? I have no clue. All I see is a concept I really enjoy, some killer art, and some killer writing, but hey, I like space, HBO's Oz, and Orange is the New Black. BITCH PLANET deserves the hype it's getting, and it's a issue you should probably give a shot, since this book is bad ass. If you're still not sold, then there's a plethora of books featuring super-powered loners, punching dudes in the face, and feeling sad about life and things that you may find more up your alley.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

In before mods lock because of profanity.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 inferiorego  Staff

@sog7dc said:

Sorry.. I meant B*TCH PLANET

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

I'd tread carefully. Mods are strict-constructionists. We wouldnt want to alienate children with profanity or full page scans, would we?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SOG7dc
Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I was going to buy this in trades but I'll cave and just buy this today. It looks pretty rad.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Rorie is going to be so upset this series is about women and not girl puppies...

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like this b!tch.... book.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@sog7dc said:

Looks like we have a pro-compliance guy here.

I already love Penny Rolle

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sovereign91001

I dig Kelly Sue's writing, so I'll be picking this one up. Glad it got a 5/5.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#10  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

HOW DARE YOU COMICVINE.... ADVERTISING VULGAR CURSES AND PROFANITY!!! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU PEOPLE DISGUST ME! Specially this man @inferiorego.

lol jk

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bitch.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@inferiorego:

Sure, there's certainly a feminism slant towards the book and if you're the type of person that gets turned off by things like that, first, you're silly.

I feel like this would be a valid complaint. If you don't like what feminism has become (mainly on the internet to be fair), which has pretty much devolved into "WOMEN SHOULD RULE AND MAKE MEN THEIR SLAVES!!11!!1"

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego:

Sure, there's certainly a feminism slant towards the book and if you're the type of person that gets turned off by things like that, first, you're silly.

I feel like this would be a valid complaint. If you don't like what feminism has become (mainly on the internet to be fair), which has pretty much devolved into "WOMEN SHOULD RULE AND MAKE MEN THEIR SLAVES!!11!!1"

That's a blanket statement. You're talking extremism. It's like saying all Christians are the Westboro Baptist Church. As a dude who worked at a college for years, surrounded by feminists, I can tell you that's totally not the point or message of feminism. That's just a couple of loud jerks on the Internet, standing over with the WBC and dudes who yell about the Illuminati.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill said:

@inferiorego:

That's a blanket statement. You're talking extremism. It's like saying all Christians are the Westboro Baptist Church. As a dude who worked at a college for years, surrounded by feminists, I can tell you that's totally not the point or message of feminism. That's just a couple of loud jerks on the Internet, standing over with the WBC and dudes who yell about the Illuminati.

That's why I said on the internet. I don't really follow feminism, because I have no need to and I think it's supposed to be about equality, which would make sense. If this book is about feminism then I will pass, even if it is well written as it seems to be. Just not my bag, probably.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

@inferiorego:

That's why I said on the internet. I don't really follow feminism, because I have no need to and I think it's supposed to be about equality, which would make sense. If this book is about feminism then I will pass, even if it is well written as it seems to be. Just not my bag, probably.

Just read the dang book before I powerbomb you through a table!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

@inferiorego:

Dude it has a naked prison riot and kung fu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill said:

@inferiorego said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

@inferiorego:

Just read the dang book before I powerbomb you through a table!

Gah, fine. I'll give the first issue a look-see. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego said:

@sog7dc said:

HOW DARE YOU COMICVINE.... ADVERTISING VULGAR CURSES AND PROFANITY!!! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU PEOPLE DISGUST ME! Specially this man @inferiorego.

lol jk

No Caption Provided

@jayc1324 said:

Bitch.

3. No Profanity

Again, there is no middle ground on this one... if you swear your post gets deleted, if you keep doing it after getting warned then the mods will come down on you. Try to edit if you really need to swear add a *** to it. An obvious but often overlooked extension of this rule is that this applies to entire posts, meaning that if you post material (videos or images) with swearing in them, then that also is a violation of this rule.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_mast said:

"If this book is about feminism then I will pass, even if it is well written as it seems to be. Just not my bag, probably."

Equality isn't your bag? What an odd thing to say. You have no problem standing up for equality when it's described with a word that doesn't have "Fem" in it, but not when it does? This is precisely why feminism needs to exist. Because even good men and women who support equality are still pressured into fearing the word.

I feel I explained myself well enough.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This was great. Art was fantastic, writing was funny, and the ending was shocking. The first panel in particular made me laugh

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed this issue a lot. Great art and amazing writing. Sometimes I forget how amazing Kelly Sue's writing is. Though be wary this book is not for the children.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Eh............The Grindhouse comic did an identical story a while back that was much better.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

Eh............The Grindhouse comic did an identical story a while back that was much better.

How is tha Grindhouse book? Is it any good?

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jdp180

Just read it... not my cup of tea. Definately a book about feminism and the whole "grrr men, evil. women, victims" doesnt set well with me at all. Hey Kelly, maybe this book can make it past five issues, unlike Pretty Deadly.

------------------------------------------------

"BITCH PLANET deserves the hype it's getting, and it's a issue you should probably give a shot, since this book is bad ass. If you're still not sold, then there's a plethora of books featuring super-powered loners, punching dudes in the face, and feeling sad about life and things that you may find more up your alley."

Wow... that didn't sound condescending at all.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheBlackHood

@the_mast said:

"If this book is about feminism then I will pass, even if it is well written as it seems to be. Just not my bag, probably."

Equality isn't your bag? What an odd thing to say. You have no problem standing up for equality when it's described with a word that doesn't have "Fem" in it, but not when it does? This is precisely why feminism needs to exist. Because even good men and women who support equality are still pressured into fearing the word.

Unfortunately, modern feminism in practice and its definition are two entirely different beasts. One is a beautiful Unicorn and the other is an angry jackass. I think most people understand this but play the "feminism is just equality" schtick as a way of baiting people into a debate so that they can immediately shout "misogynist" or "rape apologist". Egalitarian is the way to be because it recognizes that everyone: race, gender, religion, orientation have issues and should be treated equally.

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this book a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bitch is not a swear word. Why is everyone acting like it is?

Anyway, I just finished reading this book and I am p_ssed. I can't wait for the next issue.

jonnyh101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So i'll save myself ranting on about modern day feminism and say this instead.

The story it'self is pretty good and has a nice set up, great art and some great moments, but I really hope it doesn't turn into a " Straight men are evil and must die", "Woman are victims that should rule the world" Story, I'd love to see a whole mix of great characters come together in issue #2. What bugs me is the article, notes at the end it just feels like a "Tumblr feminazi" got a hold of it and wrote their very stupid view on the world the whole "Only white,straight,thin,attractive" Woman can succeed in a mans world nonsense.

I'm on the fence of whether to pick up issue two because lets face it there's a ton of better female lead comic series out there some of my favorite comics this year have been female lead " Gotham Academy,MS Marvel,Harley Quinn,Elektra" all female lead stories that don't need to point out they're powerful females who don't need men blah blah.

sure the 5 star rating is this reviewers opinion but I would give it a 3 possibly 4 star review if honest it just feels like this book could be so much better if it wasn't handled the way it is the story is really great but it feels like it could end up being a Feminist unleashed in the comic industry much like the gaming nonsense.

also the whole quote in the review "If you're still not sold, then there's a plethora of books featuring super-powered loners, punching dudes in the face, and feeling sad about life and things that you may find more up your alley." like really? how mature do you have to be to come up with a quote like that? there's so few comic books that are like that feels like someone who barely knows anything about comic books wrote that. anyways If you're looking for a strong female lead or just a female lead I would look else where I doubt this comic is going to be around long possibly 5-6 issues or just one arc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

@inferiorego said:

@sog7dc said:

@madeinbangladesh said:

lol jk

No Caption Provided

@jayc1324 said:

Bitch.

3. No Profanity

Again, there is no middle ground on this one... if you swear your post gets deleted, if you keep doing it after getting warned then the mods will come down on you. Try to edit if you really need to swear add a *** to it. An obvious but often overlooked extension of this rule is that this applies to entire posts, meaning that if you post material (videos or images) with swearing in them, then that also is a violation of this rule.

THANK YOU

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@ms-lola said:

Bitch is not a swear word. Why is everyone acting like it is?

Anyway, I just finished reading this book and I am p_ssed. I can't wait for the next issue.

3. No Profanity

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before one can truly critique a book, particularly a sub-genre book, we need to see the layout of the interiors not just a snazzy retro 1976 Cockrum vibe cover (though I am all over that like a 1973 pimp suit). Otherwise we are blowin' smoke here. It's like when you'd have a Brunner cover and some schmucky Don Heck interiors he knocked out in less than a week.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

Did anyone read the Alexi de Campi women's-prison-in-spce story in Grindhouse: Doors Open at Midnight? I'd be interested to read how Viners thought the two stories compared. The de Campi storyline was homage/parody of the women in prisons genre, while Kelly Sue's book is directed towards exploring some big social messages. Also, I love the cover of # 1. May add the NC (non-compliant) tattoo to my collection.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: dude we can obviously say that word when its the name of a book. It is on the homepage and a staffmember said it, and a mod has been through this thread.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@madeinbangladesh: dude we can obviously say that word when its the name of a book. It is on the homepage and a staffmember said it, and a mod has been through this thread.

Again, there is no middle ground on this one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: Can you do me a favor, bangladesh? Can you scoop out my eyes so I never see anything that could be even mildly offensive? Because I would rather be blind than talk about why I found it offensive or find any kind of middle ground. Oh, wait! I found my big boy pants. Never mind. Keeping my eyes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neghead said:

@madeinbangladesh: Can you do me a favor, bangladesh? Can you scoop out my eyes so I never see anything that could be even mildly offensive? Because I would rather be blind than talk about why I found it offensive or find any kind of middle ground. Oh, wait! I found my big boy pants. Never mind. Keeping my eyes.

@jayc1324 said:

@madeinbangladesh: Except there is.

That is the comicvine rule.... DON't look at me, man

BTW I was joking from the start, did you not see my spoiler tag form my post? I was making fun of Comic VIne's "no profanity rule"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: oh, I know. I just trust you more than these other rotgut-swillers to do the scooping.

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I consider the following no-no words (I love you, George Carlin):

Sh_t

P_ss

F_ck

C_nt

C_cksucker

Mother-f_cker

T_ts

So does the FCC when it comes to television and radio between the lovely hours of 6:00am to 10:00pm in the United States. The word bitch, however, is not on that list. While what we consider profanity can by highly subjective, a line needs to be drawn somewhere. This site is within its rights to consider whatever it wants as a "profane" word. If we are going for semantics, then profanity is specifically geared towards the profane, as in, religiously offensive. This would mean God Damn, Holy Hell, Jesus Christ and Oh My God (and the like). So, no more "I am the God Damn Batman." Obscenities (again, highly subjective) is covered by the above infamous seven words. So, I would say the word Profanity in the rules should be replaced by "Obscenity", but again, semantics.

The FCC has no jurisdiction over the internet though, and also, neither do we on this site. I'm sticking with what the FCC considers "family friendly" as a guide and until informed otherwise, will have to wing it in terms of what is considered okay or not okay on here (with moderators' input).

Sorry for coming off bitchy, but this whole issue is a bitch to deal with in the first place. Bitch out.

(so much editing, damn it)

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neghead said:

Did anyone read the Alexi de Campi women's-prison-in-spce story in Grindhouse: Doors Open at Midnight? I'd be interested to read how Viners thought the two stories compared. The de Campi storyline was homage/parody of the women in prisons genre, while Kelly Sue's book is directed towards exploring some big social messages. Also, I love the cover of # 1. May add the NC (non-compliant) tattoo to my collection.

I took a look at all the books on this site and their synopsis, and I think this series is worth picking up. Too bad there isn't any reviews on it. Looks like the only similarity it has to Bitch Planet is there being a prison of sorts for purely female inmates in space, like you mentioned. Should be Interesting.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 inferiorego  Staff

"If you're still not sold, then there's a plethora of books featuring super-powered loners, punching dudes in the face, and feeling sad about life and things that you may find more up your alley." like really? how mature do you have to be to come up with a quote like that?

Check out this wild new thing all the kids are talking about. It's called a sense of humor.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

@ms-lola said:

@neghead said:

I took a look at all the books on this site and their synopsis, and I think this series is worth picking up. Too bad there isn't any reviews on it. Looks like the only similarity it has to Bitch Planet is there being a prison of sorts for purely female inmates in space, like you mentioned. Should be Interesting.

I read the Grindhouse series and the rather brutal "Prisonship Antares" story but I have yet to pick up and read Bitch Planet which I will certainly do... and then get back to you; here. I may even add some reviews for Grindhouse. I gotta warn you though I suck (according to your list this word should be fine) at writing reviews.