#1 Posted by Arcus1 (27655 posts) - - Show Bio

Zuko, Mako, and Bolin:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

VS

Katara and Toph:

No Caption Provided

When these bending teams do battle, who will win?

Fight takes place at the Earth and Fire Refinery (from the comics-water, earth, and metal are all present)

Time is perpetual twilight.

All are in character (but Mako and Bolin aren't surprised or anything to be fighting young girls). Victory by ko

Starting distance is 50 feet

Who wins?

#3 Posted by Amendment50 (15152 posts) - - Show Bio

Toph can handle Mako and Bolin by herself. Katara is more than a match for Zuko. Team 2 handily.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
#4 Edited by deactivated-59c716930b8a6 (9227 posts) - - Show Bio

Team 1

Toph is the superior earthbender, but I feel Bolin should be able to hold his own for a little while due to his ability to lavabend and general earthbending prowess (hes no slouch). If nothing else, he'll be able to distract Toph long enough for Zuko and Mako to overwhelm and defeat Katara (Skilled as Katara is, I doubt she can take Zuko and Mako at the same time). The match then shifts into Zuko, Mako, and Bolin vs Toph, and in that fight, the team wins.

#5 Posted by Arcus1 (27655 posts) - - Show Bio

Toph can handle Mako and Bolin by herself. Katara is more than a match for Zuko. Team 2 handily.

Team 1

Toph is the superior earthbender, but I feel Bolin should be able to hold his own due to his ability to lavabend and general earthbending prowess (hes no slouch). If nothing else, he'll be able to distract Toph long enough for Zuko and Mako to overwhelm and defeat Katara (Skilled as Katara is, I doubt she can take Zuko and Mako at the same time). The match then shifts into Zuko, Mako, and Bolin vs Toph, and in that fight, the team wins.

Nice to see some differences

#6 Posted by Strafe Prower (13013 posts) - - Show Bio

Great fight.

While I think Katara and Toph are both great, Zuko, Bolin and Mako might be enough here. Bolin is quite a strong earthbender and can also Lavabend, the one type of earthbending Toph hasn't been shown to control. In terms of combat versatility, Toph has him, but with another person there to jump back and forth if necessary, I think it evens the gap enough for him to be a threat.

Mako is often underrated and it's sad. His firebending is strong, but his Lightning bending could spell trouble for Katara. She is smart and a fierce warrior, but his is exceptionally agile and also has the strategic mind to fight her. Throw Zuko in with that, as he has defeated her in the past, and I think she will get overwhelmed here. Zuko is has also shown the awareness necessary for him to help Bolin if he needs to.

If the Firebenders play their odds right, they could rush her and take her down. Staying a distance would be a mistake imo. If they do that, The three of them would beat Toph.

HOWEVER, I am a huge Katara and Toph fan and I could see them pulling it out as well. I just wanted to defend Bolin and Mako >.>

Avatar image for justicethorpsylocke
#7 Posted by justicethorpsylocke (3069 posts) - - Show Bio

Katara is pretty much a non factor. Any of the 3 can arguably solo her, and Toph can't solo all 3

#8 Posted by Arcus1 (27655 posts) - - Show Bio

Katara is pretty much a non factor. Any of the 3 can arguably solo her, and Toph can't solo all 3

Why is she a non factor?

Avatar image for justicethorpsylocke
#9 Posted by justicethorpsylocke (3069 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1: She doesn't have the speed, firepower, or the experience to deal with the raw ferocity of the team. Zuko has beaten her, Mako has similar stats plus lightning, and Bolin has lava. Either Bolin or maybe 2 guys can hold serve with Toph until Katara goes down and the 3 defeat Toph.

#10 Posted by Arcus1 (27655 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1: She doesn't have the speed, firepower, or the experience to deal with the raw ferocity of the team. Zuko has beaten her, Mako has similar stats plus lightning, and Bolin has lava. Either Bolin or maybe 2 guys can hold serve with Toph until Katara goes down and the 3 defeat Toph.

Zuko only beat her with the advantage of surprise when she let her guard down at the North Pole. Katara was beating Azula in the Catacombs, she can keep up

#11 Edited by GothamCiti (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm leaning towards Team 2 in a decent fight.

Katara can contend with any of the boys and probably beat Zuko or Mako based on her Catacombs fights, and Toph should outskill Bolin and keep Mako or Zuko busy.

#12 Posted by Arcus1 (27655 posts) - - Show Bio

Katara can contend with any of the boys and probably beat Zuko or Mako based on her Catacombs fights, and Toph should outskill Bolin and keep Mako or Zuko busy.

What if it's Zuko vs Katara and Mako/Bolin vs Toph?

#13 Posted by GothamCiti (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1 said:
@gothamciti said:

What if it's Zuko vs Katara and Mako/Bolin vs Toph?

Katara would probably beat Zuko, and Toph would probably win against the two due to her defense and speed.

#14 Posted by cpt_nice (9874 posts) - - Show Bio

Team 1.

Katara and Zuko are equal enough to have a drawn out fight, and while Toph is strong, her younger self lacks the experience to take on Bolin and Mako at once. After they defeat her, it becomes 3 on 1

It is a good fight though

#15 Posted by RandomSid82 (9864 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1 said:
@justicethorpsylocke said:

Zuko only beat her with the advantage of surprise when she let her guard down at the North Pole. Katara was beating Azula in the Catacombs, she can keep up

Umm, wasn't that during a time that all the water benders were being amped? Not saying Katara isn't skilled and can't hold her own, but she didn't do that under normal conditions.

#16 Edited by Arcus1 (27655 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Edited by hatemalingsia (15494 posts) - - Show Bio

Team 1, if Zuko can close the distance quickly and Toph doesn't go all out. Then again, I have no idea where they are fighting at and how much water can Katara use in this fight.

#18 Posted by Arcus1 (27655 posts) - - Show Bio

Team 1, if Zuko can close the distance quickly and Toph doesn't go all out. Then again, I have no idea where they are fighting at and how much water can Katara use in this fight.

There's a river nearby and I think an ocean a bit further away

#19 Edited by Pirateking (619 posts) - - Show Bio

Team one in a hard battle

#20 Posted by RandomSid82 (9864 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1 said:

@randomsid82: in the Catacombs? No

Sorry, I'm thinking of when they were at the other water tribe area.

#21 Posted by KidPhillip (504 posts) - - Show Bio

Even with Lavabending, Toph should be able to match Bolin in pure earthbending prowess. It's still a toss up about how lava effects her seismic sense, but for all sales and purposes I'll assume she'll be able to see the "liquid earth" as Toph would put it. Bolin should be able to hold his own due to Lavabending, so I say stalemate for now.

So that leaves Katara vs Mako and Zuko. I'm inclined to say Katara has the advantage in power, versatility, and strategy. I'm not seeing Zuko doing anything here especially if Katara has a decent supply of water laying around. Mako might be able to pull a Ming-Hua on her and zap her if she decides to do octopus form or something, (to reliant on Katara doing that) but otherwise I don't see Either of the firebenders beating one of the most powerful water benders in the series.

So now that's Toph and Katara vs Bolin, in which a good ol' butt kicking begins as Bolin would simply get overwhelmed...

So Toph and Katara 7/10 times Imo

#22 Edited by theavatarguruu (104 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand how anyone could consider Katara a "non-factor"... If anyone wants to debate this with me, I'd be more than happy to. My vote is on Team 2.

#23 Posted by Strafe Prower (13013 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Jbourne_32 (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand how anyone could consider Katara a "non-factor"... If anyone wants to debate this with me, I'd be more than happy to. My vote is on Team 2.

Unfortunately for you i agree

#25 Edited by ANTHP2000 (25755 posts) - - Show Bio

Either Katara or Toph can beat Zuko and solo the Bros.

#26 Posted by Stormdriven (17713 posts) - - Show Bio

Team 1 with difficulty

#27 Posted by vengefulshot (2156 posts) - - Show Bio

Katara and Toph have some of the best aoe in the series.

Having said that, Im not sure how well Toph would do against lava, considering in season 3 Bolin made it pretty clear that anything he did with traditional earthbending just gave Ghazan ammo.

Im 50:50 on this one.

#28 Edited by Cs1013 (64 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidphillip: I like the argument, but I have to disagree. Mainly with Zuko kinda being underrated, I respectively have team one

#29 Edited by thebuckaronatr (1749 posts) - - Show Bio

Toph and Katara are stronger but might get overwhelmed by lava and Zukos and Makos bit of a speed advantage with these surroundings.

The Crystal Catacombs fight with Azula was either a positive outlier for Katara or negative outlier for Azula based on their respective consistent speed in the series.

#30 Posted by ANTHP2000 (25755 posts) - - Show Bio

The ladies, either can take Zuko and either can take the twins. Their skillsets are also much more suited for a team battle.

#31 Posted by geekryan (4250 posts) - - Show Bio

The ladies, either can take Zuko and either can take the twins. Their skillsets are also much more suited for a team battle.