X-Men vs Sniper Team

Frosty1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Frosty1234

So this is going to be an interesting matchup. So a full squad (12 men) of top tier military Snipers from such units like the British SAS, Delta, MARSOC, DEVGRU, 75th Ranger Reconnaissance Company, Russia’s GRU team, F.B.I. H.R.T., Mossad, other JSOC members, etc. They spend a year studying their quarry. They have full access to SHIELD files and other information on the team, their members, home, personalities, habits, skills, family, hobbies, etc. The sniper team is also equipped with those special telepathy blocking headgear to wear during all parts of their operation. Their goal is to kill as many of their assigned targets as they can, or die trying. Once the year of prep is over, they have 3 months to do all the damage they can. Their targets are the non-physically resistant members of the team, all classic versions: Cyclops, Jean Grey (non-Phoenix), Gambit, Storm, Xavier, Beast (He isn’t immune to bullets afaik, right? If so, replace him with Bishop), Psylocke, and Havoc. The Sniper team is equipped with any small arms, rifles, machine guns, explosives/incendiaries, rockets, of their choosing, and are allowed to keep a cache of supplies, gear, weapons in their hides, other alternative locations. Snipers can choose the time and place of their attack, methods, split up, and order and priority of targets, etc. They also have access to electronic surveillance equipment as well access to public security camera systems. Can the X-Men survive this?

Frosty1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Frosty1234

No takers on this battle? Cmon. To be fair, I did organize, equip and prep the sniper team the way I believe they would be selected, prepared/planned for this HVT mission as they would in the real world. They’re not being asked to take down any lightweights, for sure. So an enormous amount of resources and planning is going into their mission.

But I don’t think this is a 100% stomp. I want to give the X-Men a way to survive this. If the sniper team is smart, they will make sure that Jean, Scott and Ororo have bullets assigned to them on the first volley of fire (I assume they would ideally want to select a time when the whole attack could be done in a single timed volley, if feasible. Even if they are split up in different locations, but I doubt they would have such an opportunity). My ideal time to attack would be on the X-Men’s days off, in the middle of Jean getting a face mask or hair styling appt at a spa, as then you can be certain any potential TK shielding is down. Scott in that same volley if he is waiting nearby. You guys get the picture. But I think the other X-Men, (psylocke, Havoc, Gambit, etc. would not present as clear shots since the planning would focus on the aformentioned three. But a good sniper unit would have contingencies planned for just about every likely situation. I am just trying to think of a way the X-Men would have a fighting chance.

Frosty1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Frosty1234

I put an enormous amount of thought into this battle. Bump.

Frosty1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noone wants to engage in this battle? What's wrong with you people?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@frosty1234: Unfortunately not a lot of people like these types of battles. If you want a response, put military types against street levelers that they would more realistically fight, like Punisher, Black Widow, Daredevil, etc.

I do however like the though you put into this battle, but can’t really give you any answers cause I’m not very knowledgeable about on the X-men. If you make battles involving any Fictional military based characters like from Call of Duty, or Tom Clancy characters like from Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, or Rainbow Six, I’d be sure to comment on them.

Frosty1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Frosty1234

@allstarsuperman: I just don't see why they should go up against street levelers? This fight is unique because both parties are indeed so different. It's just not a matchup you would expect, but one that would realistically happen. In the real world, if the government (for whatever reason) wanted these X-Men members taken out, I think this is the way it would go. So in a way, this is realistic matchup (The only reason no writer has made this scenario happen in the comics is because of a lack of knowledge/experience among the Marvel writer community about military missions, and because many top level superheroes would certainly be dead if they did). Personally, I see the SOF sniper team stomping if they plan it out carefully. I see many of the X-Men dead in the first volley of fire, and the remainder dead within 3-5 seconds thereafter.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@frosty1234: I’m not saying you’re wrong or should’ve be creative. I’m just saying threads like this typically don’t get commented on.

Frosty1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fine, if noone else wants to respond. I will offer my own thoughts on this battle. People are free to chime in and agree or disagree.

So of all the X-Men mentioned here, Jean, Cyclops and Storm are the most dangerous (Xavier is another matter). Probably in that order.

I think the JSOC team would want to take out Jean first, or atleast have her bullet be the first shot that everyone else waits on.
So let's say the team waits for the X-Men's day off. They know all their frequent spots. They decide on the day that Jean goes to a spa for a facial massage and mask. Scott is waiting while perusing a magazine. The team comprises 3 of the most experienced and skilled members, and they take a position with a vantage point into the spa (glass storefront). Two shooters have their crosshairs on Jean's face while she is getting the facial treatment by the technician. The third shooter has his crosshairs on Scotts head. All three shots will be fired simultaneously.

Gambit is at a hole in the wall bar trying to sweet talk some girl. A 2 man team is assigned to him. One man with the sniper rifle, and the second man armed with a SMAW rocket with NE round for the follow up shot.

As for Storm, let's say she is out shopping for shoes or a new handbag. With her, another 2 man team (30 meter separation between the two) stalks her within the department store (posing as patrons), armed with hidden SMGs and handgrenades, ready to shoot her center mass and in the head when she is distracted looking at merchandise.

As far as Beast, Xavier and Psylocke go, I feel like they would be harder targets. The 5 remaining military members would act as one team to attack them in the Mansion (I suspect). From what I know about them, they arn't as outgoing. Beast generally hangs out in his lab in the X-Mansion, or maybe walking around campus. Psylocke seems like an intense woman who spends her time in more serious pursuits, such as training in the Danger Room or whatnot. Xavier talking to students, hanging out on campus. Either way, I speculate that they are in the Mansion most of the time, with minimal exposure. The remaining 5 man team assigned to Beast/Xavier/Psylocke would be aware of this. It would be a very calculated risk setting up a sniper's hide in the forest surrounding the Mansion, especially as the Mansion has exceptional security systems. They may be able to situate themselves well outside the Mansion's zone of surveillance, but that would make for a very long shot: maybe over a kilometer or two (Xmen experts correct me here). That's still not too far. Snipers in Iraq and Afghanistan have made a successful sniper shot from over 2 miles away. The problem here is probability. What are the chances that all the teams will have simultaneous eyes on their respective targets at the same time? (Jean/Scott at spa, Storm in shopping mall, Gambit in bar, AND Beast walking campus grounds. I would say that since Jean is the primary target, every team will be depending on her being taken out before engaging themselves. So she is almost guaranteed dead. Scott too if he is accompanying. I would say Storm would also make herself an open target, and Gambit can probably spend a whole day in a bar if he wanted to. But the ideal goal of the team is to coordinate an attack where all targets are engaged at the same moment.

But with Beast and Psylocke, I suspect that their respective teams would have to infiltrate the Mansion to get at them (a highly difficult task). Every other Xmen at the mansion would have to be doing dumb things, like drinking in their rooms, playing video games, sleeping, etc. Plus, the JSOC team (5 man element) would have to bypass any exterior security systems and quickly make their way to their targets within. Theoretically, if they were to make contact with Beast, I think a couple chest shots with some heavy caliber AP ammo would kill Beast, but that is a BIG if, that is if they manage to get to him.

Psylock is too well trained. The JSOC team might have to use high explosives to surprise her, but I see it going either way. They manage to get the drop on her (assuming they can make it into the mansion), or she gets a clue of their approach and taking evasive action.

I don't know about the Professor. I feel like he tends to be fairly social and available at times, on campus grounds, talking to students, etc. If he is exposed, he would make for a pretty easy target. But that is dependent on whether or not he is exposed at the same moment that Jean is to be shot. A big if.

As for Havoc, I don't know much about his personality/psychology to know how mentally prepared he is for ambush by human snipers on his off day, or what his habits are. So I won't speculate.

Chances are slim that Beast, Psylocke and Xavier would be exposed at the same time. I suspect that once initial shots have been fired at Jean, the 5 man team would have to rapidly infiltrate the building, and then double tap the first of their targets that they encounter, even if that takes several minutes after Jean/Scott have been taken out. Once initial contact is made on campus grounds, the entire mansion will be alerted and the 5 man JSOC team will likely fight an ultimately losing battle.

Frosty1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess everyone's just interested in seeing more typical Wolverine vs. Captain America battles played out a million more times here... so much for thinking outside the typical superhero universe box.