#1 Edited by Wdc (916 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine's claws are said to be able to cut through any materiel. Cap's shield is said to be invulnerable to physical damaged.

Wolverine's claws are moving at light speed. Can it break through the shield in 3 hits of less?

#2 Posted by Wolverine008 (51027 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a battle.

#3 Posted by dondave (41760 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Edited by Skelebones (416 posts) - - Show Bio

mismatch. numerous comics can quote wolverine saying he cannot cut caps shield

lightspeed or not this is still a mismatch

also. not a battle

#5 Posted by SheenLantern (7619 posts) - - Show Bio

Lightspeed?

Sh!t, man. That shield is done.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
#6 Posted by cosmicallyaware1 (7308 posts) - - Show Bio

no.

#7 Edited by DaseanComerWCR (902 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright here's the reason.. wolverine's claws are made of pure adamantium but caps shield is made of a vibranium and adamantum alloy mixture vibranium absorbs any impact and adamantium is in unbreakable to a certain extant

#8 Posted by Pierpat (5855 posts) - - Show Bio

@wdc said:

Wolverine's claws are moving at light speed. Can it break through the shield in 3 hits of less?

No.

#9 Posted by Hegemon (11510 posts) - - Show Bio

Lightspeed?

Sh!t, man. That shield is done.

No, that can't happen. The shield dispels any force directed at it. Unless the force is hit with superhax like Odinforce, or Molecule Man, the shield lives.

Avatar image for baron_von_santa
#10 Edited by Baron_von_Santa (5846 posts) - - Show Bio

i think he is asking what material is stronger. like, what if this is not wolverine but superman using the claws, and the shield is suspended in the air unable to move

Avatar image for thewhitecrownofphoenix_stormfo
#11 Posted by Thewhitecrownofphoenix_stormforever (481 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they are both equal. Think of wonder woman's lasso lol. Everything is "unbreakable" or "invincible" potentially, but is never put against someones true power that obviously can break it lol

#12 Posted by Hegemon (11510 posts) - - Show Bio

i think he is asking what material is stronger. like, what if this is not wolverine but superman using the claws, and the shield is suspended in the air unable to move

As far as I know, the shield does not work as an energy absorbant. It being suspended in the air is not changing anything. Secondly, Flash falsifies the strength factor behind the claws. When he's going many times lightspeed, the force behind his punches exceed that of adamantium, except if its wolverines claws, thats the concentrated force from the tip of the claws hitting at the same speed. However flash is also able to much more than just go fast. I would not think merely going with superstrength and adamantium makes much of a difference, if any at all.

#13 Edited by Baron_von_Santa (5846 posts) - - Show Bio

@lowlaville: the shield not being able to move makes the force hitting it to he greater, this is obvious. and i am not talking about the flash, i said superman. please read first. and you comparing other peoples power to molecule mans is just irrelevant

#14 Edited by Hegemon (11510 posts) - - Show Bio

@baron_von_santa said:

@lowlaville: the shield not being able to move makes the force hitting it to he greater, this is obvious. and i am not talking about the flash, i said superman. please read first. and you comparing other peoples power to molecule mans is just irrelevant

I know what you said. " I would not think merely going with superstrength and adamantium makes much of a difference, if any at all." is what I said. Here, Im referring to Superman when I said superstrength, directly referring to your argument here "what if this is not wolverine but superman using the claws". If you cannot comprehend the meaning of my post, that's not my fault.

A: This thread is dealing with Flash. Going light speed was directly taken as a quantifier. Superman cannot throw punches as hard as flash does. Unless you did not mean the lightspeed factor there. Eliminating that factor makes this much more of a stomp for the shield than it actually is.

B: I did not compare Flash's power to anyone else. I was talking about a power he possesses.

Now to counter your argument. If it's hanging in the air, it can move. If you hit it from below, the shield has nowhere to go but up. In any case, the deduction itself is irrelevent. Because the shield cancels any force applied to it.

#15 Edited by Baron_von_Santa (5846 posts) - - Show Bio

@lowlaville: that is not countering my argument. read my post again. i specifically said suspended in the air because that will not destroy the thing behind it. and after that i said UNABLE TO MOVE

#16 Edited by Hegemon (11510 posts) - - Show Bio

@lowlaville: that is not countering my argument. read my post again. i specifically said suspended in the air because that will not destroy the thing behind it. and after that i said UNABLE TO MOVE

So what is your point? The shield does not use any factor behind it. I've already countered all the points otherwise. Though in part, I need to apologize. I didn't realize this was another thread I was replying to. So yes, I'm sorry I misread the post, due to mistaking this thread with another. Though the argument I had in relation is still fine as it is, Im apologizing for saying you did not understand my post.

#17 Posted by Bane_of_sith (2923 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#18 Posted by Baron_von_Santa (5846 posts) - - Show Bio

@lowlaville: it is all good, i just meant that, i want someone else's opinion about if the shield cannot buckle or move, and superman is using the claws to slash it, can he cut it? i mean, it already is really sharp, but if someone else who has greater strength than wolverine is using it, can he do it

#19 Posted by Hegemon (11510 posts) - - Show Bio

@lowlaville: it is all good, i just meant that, i want someone else's opinion about if the shield cannot buckle or move, and superman is using the claws to slash it, can he cut it? i mean, it already is really sharp, but if someone else who has greater strength than wolverine is using it, can he do it

No, that is not happening. The shield completely assimilates any manner of kinetic force directed to it. Unless the claws has magic embued in it, I don't see the shield breaking. Its a given Adamantium is one of those nigh indestructible metals, but so is captains shield, which is composed not just of Adamantium, but also of Vibranium, and another unknown material (most likely Uru metal). Vibranium has a quality which when absorbing force, the molecules themselves does not expand. Rather, the force is stored between the bonds of the molecules. On sufficient impact, they explode. Adamantium as we all know is virtually indestructible, with sharpened adamantium only unable to cut through adamantium itself.

Its unclear how exactly the bonding of Adamantium, Vibranium and the unknown material works, but it pretty much negates any manner of force applied to it.

#20 Posted by Baron_von_Santa (5846 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by darkseid1006 (4076 posts) - - Show Bio

No way

#22 Posted by Black_Arrow (10286 posts) - - Show Bio

no only molecular rearrangement works with the shield

#23 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#24 Posted by God_Spawn (43245 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk why people still say Cap's shield has adamantium in it? Adamantium was invented in an attempt to recreate the shield. It came after.

Moderator Online
#25 Posted by Wolverine008 (51027 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk why people still say Cap's shield has adamantium in it? Adamantium was invented in an attempt to recreate the shield. It came after.

There are bios that have listed it as having adamantium in it. From the 70s though.

#26 Posted by God_Spawn (43245 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: I know that, but there have been newer ones that point out that glaring flaw.

Moderator Online
#27 Posted by Wolverine008 (51027 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Oh I agree, just noting where the confusion might possibly originate from.

#28 Posted by Sovereign91001 (7483 posts) - - Show Bio

The shield survives.

#29 Posted by amseaton (272 posts) - - Show Bio

Rogers' indestructible shield was long referred to, even in continuity, as being composed of an adamantium steel-vibranium alloy. In actuality, the experimental iron alloy is now referred to as "proto-adamantium", which slightly different than true adamantium in that it's stronger than the latter. Dr. MacLain's experiments with proto-adamantium lead to the creation of true adamantium. This proto-adamantium (the only known source) was incorporated with the vibranium in the shield.

#30 Edited by Cjdavis103 (10010 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

Admantium > Vibranium

#32 Posted by Bezza (5019 posts) - - Show Bio

Stalemate, always is when Wolverine's claws strike Caps shield...

#33 Posted by comic_book_fan (11636 posts) - - Show Bio

cap's shield is the most durable object on marvel earth

wolverine's claws are number 2

and thor's hammer is number 3.

#34 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7513 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, after Fear Itself, the shield has Uru metal in it now. So I don't know if that means that the shield is more durable, as durable, or less durable than before.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
#35 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6868 posts) - - Show Bio

It should still be intact

#36 Edited by alexandrinus (439 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn:

So true. It's made of a vibrnium and a stange iron alloy invented by Howard Stark or something. But this strange iron alloy was made by accident and no one could recreate it again.

At least this was the first statement in Marvel.. I really don't know how it works now.

#37 Posted by alexandrinus (439 posts) - - Show Bio

@comic_book_fan:

Not really. Thor as already been able to break cap's shield with his hammer on more than one ocasion in the 616 Universe.

#38 Posted by slimj87d (15680 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America's shield currently is supposed to be a Vibranium-Adamantium alloy (or steel) and has been brazed together with Uru ore and magically enchanted.

I think Cap's shield at this point are more durable than Wolverine's claws.

No Caption Provided

#39 Posted by kidchipotle (15763 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza said:

#40 Posted by slimj87d (15680 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza said:

Yeah, but when has it ever struck the shield at light speed?

#41 Posted by Wolverine008 (51027 posts) - - Show Bio

Stalemate.

#42 Posted by Jokerpoker (3144 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by Erkan12 (8452 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d: Agreed, but don't forget Wolverine can always win.

#44 Posted by Jacthripper (14994 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d: speed shouldn't matter because the shield is more dense

Ex if you threw a stick at a rock it would break

If you threw a stick at a rock at lightspeed the rock would still be fine because things moving at lightspeed arent solid and if it were, the stick would shatter first

#45 Edited by jayc1324 (26432 posts) - - Show Bio

Caps shield has been broken and destroyed before but IIRC it wasn't by adamantium. Maybe at light speed it will destroy the shield but its supposed to be able to absorb the impact

#46 Posted by slimj87d (15680 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d: speed shouldn't matter because the shield is more dense

Ex if you threw a stick at a rock it would break

If you threw a stick at a rock at lightspeed the rock would still be fine because things moving at lightspeed arent solid and if it were, the stick would shatter first

Dude, we're not trying to get technical science here. We all know the laws of relativity. It's obvious the OP made the topic ignoring the effects of relativity. The true question behind this thread is which material is more durable and it's Cap's shield because it has Uru ores and is also enchanted so on top of it's durability, it has magic protection and properties.

#47 Edited by Jacthripper (14994 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d: caps shield is definetely stronger. It was an accident originally, and the closest they got after that was adamantium

#48 Posted by Experio (18215 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't think so

#49 Posted by Emperorb777 (11377 posts) - - Show Bio

All of creation is destroyed on impact when these plot weapons meet.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
#50 Edited by Knightsofdarkness2 (8155 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a battle and shield.