Who is smarter: Batman or Ironman?

• 50 results
Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Who is smarter: Batman or Ironman? (61 votes)

1. BATMAN: Naturalist Intelligence (“Nature Smart”) 67%
1. IRONMAN: Naturalist Intelligence (“Nature Smart”) 26%
2. BATMAN: Musical Intelligence (“Musical Smart”) 52%
2. IRONMAN: Musical Intelligence (“Musical Smart”) 28%
3. BATMAN: Logical-Mathematical Intelligence (Number/Reasoning Smart) 36%
3. IRONMAN: Logical-Mathematical Intelligence (Number/Reasoning Smart) 52%
4. BATMAN: Existential Intelligence 64%
4. IRONMAN: Existential Intelligence 21%
5. Emotional Intelligence (People Smart”) 59%
5. Emotional Intelligence (People Smart”) 26%
6. BATMAN: Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence (“Body Smart”) 72%
6. IRONMAN: Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence (“Body Smart”) 15%
7. BATMAN: Linguistic Intelligence (Word Smart) 64%
7. IRONMAN: Linguistic Intelligence (Word Smart) 20%
8. BATMAN: Intra-personal Intelligence (Self Smart”) 52%
8. IRONMAN: Intra-personal Intelligence (Self Smart”) 34%
9. BATMAN: Spatial Intelligence (“Picture Smart”) 51%
9. IRONMAN: Spatial Intelligence (“Picture Smart”) 39%

Let's try and decide. Who is overall more intelligent? Satrk or Wane?

This question has been the reason for great debate. And truth is this is not a simple question to answer. For it's scientifically agreed that there ARE different intelligences —9 of them— and one can be good on some and bad on others.

In fact IQ tests are fundamentally flawed and according to a study, a minimum of three different exams are needed to measure someone's brainpower. In short, heaving a high IQ schore on a test does not accurately reflect intelligence.

That's why some geniuses are absurd or foolish on fields that do not relate to their are of expertise.

Or taking someone else's words: Bruce Charlton, an evolutionary psychiatrist at Newcastle University, published a study which claimed very intelligent people were lacking in certain other brain functions that could make them appear "silly" in social situations.

I guess we can decide who is smarter, Wane or Stark, but to properly do so, we should judge a wide spectre of their abilities and put together who gets a majority out of the aforementioned 9.

No Caption Provided

We could argue how Bruce would be better on some of the intelligences mentioned, and Tony would be better on others. Per example: Perhaps Bruce could have a better Bodily-kinesthetic intelligence than Tony, but Tony could have a better Mathematical intelligence.

---

TO VOTE:

Choose only ONE ANSWER of each category, either Batman's or Ironman's. In the end I will add the total points each contestan gets, and we will see who gets more points.

---

If you feel one of the conestants is so much above than his rival in a certain category, as to be better overall even if he doesn't take the majority, you can share your thoughts also.

Let's see if we can come to an agreement on this age long question.

PS

You can check the Spoiler to get a more detailed description of each intelligence.

The Nine Types of Intelligence

By Howard Gardner

1. Naturalist Intelligence (“Nature Smart”)

Designates the human ability to discriminate among living things (plants, animals) as well as sensitivity to other features of the natural world (clouds, rock configurations). This ability was clearly of value in our evolutionary past as hunters, gatherers, and farmers; it continues to be central in such roles as botanist or chef. It is also speculated that much of our consumer society exploits the naturalist intelligences, which can be mobilized in the discrimination among cars, sneakers, kinds of makeup, and the like.

2. Musical Intelligence (“Musical Smart”)

Musical intelligence is the capacity to discern pitch, rhythm, timbre, and tone. This intelligence enables us to recognize, create, reproduce, and reflect on music, as demonstrated by composers, conductors, musicians, vocalist, and sensitive listeners. Interestingly, there is often an affective connection between music and the emotions; and mathematical and musical intelligences may share common thinking processes. Young adults with this kind of intelligence are usually singing or drumming to themselves. They are usually quite aware of sounds others may miss.

3. Logical-Mathematical Intelligence (Number/Reasoning Smart)

Logical-mathematical intelligence is the ability to calculate, quantify, consider propositions and hypotheses, and carry out complete mathematical operations. It enables us to perceive relationships and connections and to use abstract, symbolic thought; sequential reasoning skills; and inductive and deductive thinking patterns. Logical intelligence is usually well developed in mathematicians, scientists, and detectives. Young adults with lots of logical intelligence are interested in patterns, categories, and relationships. They are drawn to arithmetic problems, strategy games and experiments.

4. Existential Intelligence

Sensitivity and capacity to tackle deep questions about human existence, such as the meaning of life, why do we die, and how did we get here.

5. Interpersonal Intelligence (People Smart”)

Interpersonal intelligence is the ability to understand and interact effectively with others. It involves effective verbal and nonverbal communication, the ability to note distinctions among others, sensitivity to the moods and temperaments of others, and the ability to entertain multiple perspectives. Teachers, social workers, actors, and politicians all exhibit interpersonal intelligence. Young adults with this kind of intelligence are leaders among their peers, are good at communicating, and seem to understand others’ feelings and motives.

6. Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence (“Body Smart”)

Bodily kinesthetic intelligence is the capacity to manipulate objects and use a variety of physical skills. This intelligence also involves a sense of timing and the perfection of skills through mind–body union. Athletes, dancers, surgeons, and craftspeople exhibit well-developed bodily kinesthetic intelligence.

7. Linguistic Intelligence (Word Smart)

Linguistic intelligence is the ability to think in words and to use language to express and appreciate complex meanings. Linguistic intelligence allows us to understand the order and meaning of words and to apply meta-linguistic skills to reflect on our use of language. Linguistic intelligence is the most widely shared human competence and is evident in poets, novelists, journalists, and effective public speakers. Young adults with this kind of intelligence enjoy writing, reading, telling stories or doing crossword puzzles.

8. Intra-personal Intelligence (Self Smart”)

Intra-personal intelligence is the capacity to understand oneself and one’s thoughts and feelings, and to use such knowledge in planning and directioning one’s life. Intra-personal intelligence involves not only an appreciation of the self, but also of the human condition. It is evident in psychologist, spiritual leaders, and philosophers. These young adults may be shy. They are very aware of their own feelings and are self-motivated.

9. Spatial Intelligence (“Picture Smart”)

Spatial intelligence is the ability to think in three dimensions. Core capacities include mental imagery, spatial reasoning, image manipulation, graphic and artistic skills, and an active imagination. Sailors, pilots, sculptors, painters, and architects all exhibit spatial intelligence. Young adults with this kind of intelligence may be fascinated with mazes or jigsaw puzzles, or spend free time drawing or daydreaming.

• 
BabyDarkseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BabyDarkseid

bats

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hard to decide who has better Intrapersonal intelligence, when Tony is an alcoholic and Bruce is almost a hermit obsessed with his revenge.

Penguinofsteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battle wits strategies and detective skills - Batman

Inventions science and engineering - Ironman

Ganstaz003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very good thread! Most of them are very close to call and difficult to select. Only a few are obvious

Ganstaz003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ganstaz003

Next time, you should probably create each poll / question thread individually.

DarkenSHAZAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nice thread

ClassicKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ClassicKnight

Voted. Thanks for this

Mee09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mee09

@ganstaz003: I disagree. This is impressive and makes for a far more interesting thread

Mee09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread helps prove that Bruce is a lot more intelligent than Tony as a whole. There is more to intelligence then just raw science

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nature Smart: Batman

Musical Smart: Tie, because as far as I know, neither are musicians. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Logical-Mathematical Smart: Iron Man

Exisential Intelligence: Batman

Emotional Intelligence: Batman

Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence: Batman

Linguistic Intelligence: Tie, as I don't think either of them excel in this category

Intra-Personal: Batman

Spatial: Iron Man

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mee09 said:

This thread helps prove that Bruce is a lot more intelligent than Tony as a whole. There is more to intelligence then just raw science

So polls that have opinion-based results should be seen as absolute proof?

Ganstaz003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mee09 said:

@ganstaz003: I disagree. This is impressive and makes for a far more interesting thread

Disagree with what?

Mee09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mee09

@mrmonster: Bruce is extensively multilingual. There are languages that he can speak. That very few people on planet even know exist. Tony on the other hand. Does not know very many. Bruce also has a musical background.

Mee09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mee09

@ganstaz003: If you made these into individual threads. It would not really get the point across. Here pretty much everything is laid out right there. We can see the full scope of their intelligence.

@SupremeGeneration: Well considering the fact that we have all of these areas laid out here and can vote on them. Yes it can be used to HELP prove it (I said help not outright prove. I guess you got triggered and ignored that). Tell me, do you disagree with these results. I certainly do not.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman wins

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man only wins in the science category due to how advanced his tech is compared to Bruce's.

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems as if Batman is getting ahead on the vote count. I was expecting this to be a bit more even. However, I would just like to say that a character been smarter than another does not mean he is better. Some of the best characters ever are great not only due to their abilities, but also because of their flaws.

Han Solo, per example, one of the best characters in Star Wars. Not the smarter, nor the strongest.

Or take Rorschach. He's not at all the more intelligent or strong of the Watchment characters. Still pretty damn cool.

I get the impression that here in Comic Vine we usually want our favorite characters to be better than all others; smarter, stronger, faster...

Anyway, just my thoughts on that.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nature Smart: Batman

Musical Smart: Tie, because as far as I know, neither are musicians. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Logical-Mathematical Smart: Iron Man

Exisential Intelligence: Batman

Emotional Intelligence: Batman

Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence: Batman

Linguistic Intelligence: Tie, as I don't think either of them excel in this category

Intra-Personal: Batman

Spatial: Iron Man

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

#23  Edited By KrleAvenger

Honestly, based on feats, Tony is a more intelligent person overall. He just operates on another level. Sure both of them are better than the other in certain categories but Tony's overall understanding of certain things as well as the ability to take care of difficult problems and find a solution to complex situations is just superior to Bruce's.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Noone1996

Does anybody else realize that you could literally make an exact copy of this thread and replace Tony Stark with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart or Albert Einstein and you could make an argument that "derp batman smart here bot mozart smart dere so dat meen they almost even in smarts"? No? That's just me? Okay then.

Avatar image for dragonvegeta123
Dragonvegeta123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bulma

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anybody else realize that you could literally make an exact copy of this thread and replace Tony Stark with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart or Albert Einstein and you could make an argument that "derp batman smart here bot mozart smart dere so dat meen they almost even in smarts"? No? That's just me? Okay then.

Reading through the sarcasm I can see your point. Except no way Batman and Mozart would be almost even in smarts.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buckwheat: But with this measurement of intelligence you can have someone nowhere even remotely comparable brain power-wise either come out even or close to Batman. What if you compare Bruce to someone that's better at Naturalist intelligence, musical intelligence, linguistic intelligence, interpersonal intelligence, and spatial intelligence? Then you find out this person is just a genius composer or artist in real life? Welp, looks like this guy in real life is overall smarter than freaking Batman just because he has 5 intelligence advantages or Bruce's 4. See how problematic that is? I mean these measurements are based on psychology anyway. It's not like biologists, neurologists, or geneticists came up with this unit of intellect.

izumi2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we are talking raw intelligence overall, I would give it to Tony.

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Buckwheat

@noone1996:

Well the main problem with this poll is that you can rate the different intelligences, but you cannot give a figure as to how high each specific intelligence is.

Per example, if a intelligence score would go from 0 to 100, with the average been 20, if Mozart has 20 points on most of his 9 intelligences, with a couple of 18 points on the intelligences where he lacks most and about 75 points on Musical intelligence. We could have an aprox number of 20 points x 7 intelligences, plus 15 points x 2 of his less developed factors and 75 from his Musical genius, we would get a Grand Total of: 245 points, whereas the average person would get a Grand Total of 180.

And Bruce would probably get 90 points in Body-kinesthetic, 80 in Logical-Mathematical intelligence, etc. ect., so even if Mozart got higher score than him on Musical Intelligence, Batman´s Gran Total would be very much above, due to him been above average in so many different fields.

So, yeah… This poll won’t give an exact verdict. It’s just a way to further look into the individual geniality of both Tony and Bruce.

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Buckwheat

@krleavenger said:

Honestly, based on feats, Tony is a more intelligent person overall. He just operates on another level. Sure both of them are better than the other in certain categories but Tony's overall understanding of certain things as well as the ability to take care of difficult problems and find a solution to complex situations is just superior to Bruce's.

Actually I disagree. I would say that Bruce is more intelligent overall, and Tony excedes on some specific areas of intelligence.

Rockette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger said:

Actually I disagree. I would say that Bruce is more intelligent overall, and Tony excedes on some specific areas of intelligence.

This. ^^

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rockette said:
@buckwheat said:
@krleavenger said:

This. ^^

Gotta love the vagueness here...

Cosmic_Broski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mee09 said:

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Noone1996

@buckwheat: It's still faulty because there are some categories which are absolutely absurd from an intellectual standpoint that could even out the points. Mozart's musical intelligence would probably exceed the scale since he basically saw symphonic notes and composed complex songs in his head at around 13 years old. So we can agree that he'd stomp Batman in that category. However, let's say that, hypothetically, he ends up stomping Batman in like 2 or 3 other categories. Then it would either be even, comparable, or higher than Bruce's. It's a faulty method of measuring intelligence.

Hell, just thinking about that scale alone is absurd. What if there was a limit to that scale and you could only be 100. Even if you were the smartest guy in the universe when it came to mathematics-logical intelligence, the best you could do is 100. So if you compare someone like Reed or Doom who would have 100's in practically every category, but then you have Reed at 90 in musical, but Doom is 91 in musical, do we then say that Victor is actually smarter even though pretty much everyone on this website agrees that he isn't? I mean this can even be applied to Tony and Reed. What if Reed and Tony both score the exact same (since the scale can only go to 100), but Tony has actually shown slightly better musical intelligence? It's just dumb.

Rockette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rockette

@rockette said:
@buckwheat said:
@krleavenger said:

This. ^^

Gotta love the vagueness here...

Meh, says enough. I'm feeling lazy atm.

:)-

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Buckwheat
@noone1996 said:

@buckwheat: It's still faulty because there are some categories which are absolutely absurd from an intellectual standpoint that could even out the points. Mozart's musical intelligence would probably exceed the scale since he basically saw symphonic notes and composed complex songs in his head at around 13 years old. So we can agree that he'd stomp Batman in that category. However, let's say that, hypothetically, he ends up stomping Batman in like 2 or 3 other categories. Then it would either be even, comparable, or higher than Bruce's. It's a faulty method of measuring intelligence.

Hell, just thinking about that scale alone is absurd. What if there was a limit to that scale and you could only be 100. Even if you were the smartest guy in the universe when it came to mathematics-logical intelligence, the best you could do is 100. So if you compare someone like Reed or Doom who would have 100's in practically every category, but then you have Reed at 90 in musical, but Doom is 91 in musical, do we then say that Victor is actually smarter even though pretty much everyone on this website agrees that he isn't? I mean this can even be applied to Tony and Reed. What if Reed and Tony both score the exact same (since the scale can only go to 100), but Tony has actually shown slightly better musical intelligence? It's just dumb.

Well the score of 1 to 100 was just an idea on how this poll could be a bit more precise. Of course to expect that an automatic poll on a comic site could provide an absolutely accurate way of measuring intelligence, would not be all that intelligent to begin with ;)

Other than that, I do think the 9-intelligence theory to be a quite remarkable. If you think of it, until very recently the standard way to measure someone’s intelligence was through the IQ Test.

Take Daniel Tammet. This guy is a real-life genius. He has learned to speak Icelandic in one week, along other incredible things, and of course, has a very high IQ. However he also had problems learning a 20-minute walk home from his school, or recognizing people he had previously met.

What I’m trying to say is that if we where only to look at Daniel’s IQ we’d realize he is a genius —which he is— but without taking into consideration other aspects of his intelligence, we wouldn’t be able to understand that he has Asperger’s Syndrome.

So that’s why to consider the 9 intelligences is, in my opinion, a great advancement on intelligence measurements.

However, I don’t claim that this poll will give the absolute solution to who is smarter; Wane or Stark. I just raise a series of queries that, I feel, can be interesting to consider.

Are you criticizing the evaluating process because you do not agree with the results of the poll?

I wasn’t sure at first of what the outcome would be, but looking at how it’s going I do see logic to Bruce been overall superior to Tony, considering the many different areas Wane exceeds on, even though I feel Stark could be superior to Bruce in “pure intelligence” (specifically related to his area of expertise)

PS

Just to make it clear, Daniel Tammet had trouble learning his way home, not because he couldn’t remember the way, but because his memory was so exact that a small change (per example if the cars parked on the street where not the same as on the day he learned his way home) he would not recognize the street. The same thing happened with the people he met. A small change on that person’s hairstyle, a different shave, any small detail that was different from the day he met them, would make it so their faces would not match with what he remembered. I know it’s irrelevant to the threat, but it’s an interesting thing to point out, nevertheless.

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of tech- Tony , everything else Bruce is superior to him.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buckwheat: Wait, so you are saying that when you initially mentioned the "1 to 100" scale you were talking about the poll? I was saying that if there was a measurement of the 9 intelligences and they used a scale of 1 to 100 (musical = 92/100 or linguistic = 12/100). I was saying it's problematic because a scale like that would be incalculable or it'd have a maximum range of 100 for fictional and unrealistic super geniuses like Stark, Bruce, Reed, or Doom since they would be so superhumanly smart that a real life intelligence scale/quiz would never take that level of intelligence into account.

My criticism lies with the fact that this type of test values and measures irrelevant areas of "intellect". Like being a good public speaker relates to intelligence somehow...? Or syncing your body with your mind...? These categories are basically freebies which can make the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger (bodybuilder and politician) come somewhat close to a certified super-genius if you simply compared the 9 categories. This type of "intelligence test" pretty much closes the gap between the guys who create scientific breakthroughs and accomplish tasks that 99.999% of the population cannot do (at a young age, often times) and between the other guys who succeed in politics or become boxing champions. To me, there is just no comparison.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I think about it, these 9 intelligences were likely created as a form of social justice to even the gap between people with 80-90 IQ's and those with 100+ IQ's. Makes people feel better about themselves if they say, "u may be good at math, science, engineereeng, etc., but me good at music. u not smarter we just smartur in diffrint catigorees".

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I think about it, these 9 intelligences were likely created as a form of social justice to even the gap between people with 80-90 IQ's and those with 100+ IQ's. Makes people feel better about themselves if they say, "u may be good at math, science, engineereeng, etc., but me good at music. u not smarter we just smartur in diffrint catigorees".

Actually the 9 intelligences is something true we all have and use. It's not some "creation".

There are people that write well but are terrible public speakers, there are people that struggle to learn a simple dance step but handle numbers with a lot of ease. There are people that are sensitive to what other persons feel and others that end up commiting suicide because they don't find their "place in the world". So yeah... There are different intelligences and they are all valuable.

Usually geniuses exceed so much on a speciffic area as for not been possible to compare your musical talent with what they do, unless you too are a musical genius.

And yeah... You can be good at all 9 intelligences, without been a genius, just like Hug ;)

No Caption Provided

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gracetrack

3. Logical-Mathematical Intelligence (Number/Reasoning Smart)

Logical-mathematical intelligence is the ability to calculate, quantify, consider propositions and hypotheses, and carry out complete mathematical operations. It enables us to perceive relationships and connections and to use abstract, symbolic thought; sequential reasoning skills; and inductive and deductive thinking patterns. Logical intelligence is usually well developed in mathematicians, scientists, and detectives. Young adults with lots of logical intelligence are interested in patterns, categories, and relationships. They are drawn to arithmetic problems, strategy games and experiments.

This category is a tricky one because I can totally see Batman in everything underlined.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Ugh I hate that chart. Makes intelligence seems so...basic, and organized.

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh I hate that chart. Makes intelligence seems so...basic, and organized.

Yeah... Try instead a chart that uses one single test focused on IQ, and see how that makes intelligence seem.

Truth is, different circuits within the brain are used for different thought processes, meaning that at least several separate tests of short-term memory, reasoning and verbal skills are needed to measure someone's overall intelligence.

When you come to the most complex known object, the human brain, the idea that there is only one measure of intelligence has to be wrong. If the description of the OP oversimplifies, is due to the nature of the poll. In the end this is a comic site, not a science vine

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Buckwheat

@noone1996:

My criticism lies with the fact that this type of test values and measures irrelevant areas of "intellect". Like being a good public speaker relates to intelligence somehow...?

In order to understand linguistic intelligence, it is important to understand the mechanisms that control speech and language. These mechanisms can be broken down into four major groups: speech generation (talking), speech comprehension (hearing), writing generation (writing), and writing comprehension (reading).

Spoken language

"Inferior frontal gyrus; a major part of the inferior frontal cortex"

Speech production is process by which a thought in the brain is converted into an understandable auditory form. This is a multistage mechanism that involves many different areas of the brain. The first stage is planning, where the brain constructs words and sentences that turn the thought into an understandable form. This occurs primarily in the inferior frontal cortex, specifically in an area known as Broca's area.Next, the brain must plan how to physically create the sounds necessary for speech by linking the planned speech with known sounds, or phonemes. While the location of these associations is not known, it is known that the supplementary motor area plays a key role in this step.Finally, the brain must signal for the words to actually be spoken. This is carried out by the premotor cortex and the motor cortex.

In most cases, speech production is controlled by the left hemisphere. In a series of studies, Wilder Penfield, among others, probed the brains of both right-handed (generally left-hemisphere dominant) and left-handed (generally right-hemisphere dominant) patients. They discovered that, regardless of handedness, the left hemisphere was almost always the speech controlling side. However, it has been discovered that in cases of neural stress (hemorrhage, stroke, etc.) the right hemisphere has the ability to take control of speech functions.

Comprehension

Main article: Hearing

Verbal Comprehension is a fairly complex process, and it is not fully understood. From various studies and experiments, it has been found that the superior temporal sulcus activates when hearing human speech, and that speech processing seems to occur within Wernicke's area.

Auditory feedback and feedforward

Hearing plays an important part in both speech generation and comprehension. When speaking, the person can hear their speech, and the brain uses what it hears as a feedback mechanism to fix speech errors. If a single feedback correction occurs multiple times, the brain will begin to incorporate the correction to all future speech, making it a feed forward mechanism.This is apparent in some deaf people. Deafness, as well as other, smaller deficiencies in hearing, can greatly affect one's ability to comprehend spoken language, as well as to speak it. However, if the person loses hearing ability later in life, most can still maintain a normal level of verbal intelligence. This is thought to be because of the brain's feed forward mechanism still helping to fix speech errors, even in the absence of auditory feedback.

Written language

Generation

Main article: Writing

Generation of written language is thought to be closely related to speech generation, relying on Broca's area for early processing and on the inferior frontal gyrus for semantic processing. However, writing differs in two major ways. First, instead of relating the thought to sounds, the brain must relate the thought to symbols or letters, and second, the motor cortex activates a different set of muscles to write, than when speaking.

Comprehension

Main article: Reading

Written comprehension, similar to spoken comprehension, seems to occur primarily in Wernicke's area.However, instead of using the auditory system to gain language input, written comprehension relies on the visual system.

Genetic links

While the capabilities of the physical structures used are large factors in determining linguistic intelligence, there have been several genes that have been linked to individual linguistic ability.The NRXN1 gene has been linked to general language ability, and mutations of this gene has been shown to cause major issues to overall linguistic intelligence. The CNTNAP2 gene is believed to affect language development and performance, and mutations in this gene is thought to be involved in autism spectrum disorders. PCDH11 has been linked to language capacity, and it is believed to be one of the factors that accounts for the variation in linguistic intelligence.

Measurement and testing:

Measuring Linguistic Intelligence is simple:

IF YOU READ THIS ENTIRE POST WITHOUT SKIPPING A WORD, YOU ARE LINGUISTICALLY INTELIGENT.

Badum-tss!

Avatar image for elijah_c_washington
Elijah_C_Washington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why do i feel like i inspired this thread

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Buckwheat

why do i feel like i inspired this thread

With a name like Elijah C. Whashington I can see hoy you would be an inspirational person

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gracetrack

Going by this chart,I think a solid case can be made for Bruce being the overall smartest human period; not only in DC, but factoring Marvel humans as well. I can’t think of another (human) character as smart in as many of the different intelligence categories as he is, at least not in mainstream comic book canon.

SteelMan2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man curbs in every category.

Needlebay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers