Who is physically stronger: Captain America or Kingpin?

• 82 results
Blackstripe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Blackstripe

This isn't really a battle, but I really didn't know where else to post it.

Between Captain America and the Kingpin, who possesses more raw strength? Going off of feats, I'm inclined to go with Kingpin...but every source insists he is not superhuman; Captain America is the absolute peak of human....well, everything. That includes strength. So by that logic he should be stronger.

But which is it?

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackstripe: should be Cap from the insignia but we go by feats up in hurr!

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Classic Kingpin?

jedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jedog

cap

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343: Classic Spiderman wasn't all the strong iirc.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343: I'd have to recheck but Spidey, when he first came to paper, was a normal human with enhanced senses.. I donno about him being strong but I know it evolved over time

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iragexcudder: No, I think he was always supposed to have strength proportionate to the strongest spider.

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d: yep, just rechecked his debut. "Strength of a gigantic spider" & he clamped a steel pipe so he's pretty strong

matthew1061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343: Depends on what you mean by "classic" Spider-man. the feats you're describing are from 90s or later. At least they're after the publication of the Marvel Handbbook.

Spidey's strength has varied a lot over the years. What I'd call "Classic Spidey" was the version we saw in the 60s and early 70s when Stan Lee and later Roy Thomas were writing the stories. Stan's idea was that Peter had the "proportionate strength of a spider. He was a little vague about what he meant but it seems to have been based on the commonly reported statement that an ant can carry many times its own body weight (30 times and 50 times are the two claims I've seen most often. In other words, the 165 lb Spidey could lift/carry about 5000-8000. This fluctuated but generally, Spidey could do things like lift (with some difficulty) or toss a car. Aside from a fair bit of the 7os when writers seemed to forget he had super strength at all, this was pretty consistent.

Kingpin was conceived by Stan Lee as someone who was a match for strength with Spiderman. Those of us reading the books way back then didn't ever really buy the idea that "...it looks like fat but it's solid muscle." He was too freakishly strong and would do things like pull the carpeting of a room loose with his bare hands, or hit Spider-man with an oaken desk like it weighed no more than a folding chair.

Captain America was very strong but he would often run into gangs that had a (non-super) thug who was bigger and stronger than him. He would trounce these guys easily using leverage and skill, but it was clear he wasn't as strong as the strongest normal humans. He, Daredevil, Falcon, and the Panther all seemed to operate on about the same level of strength and agility through the 60s and 70s.

Kingpin was much stronger than Cap. Here are some scans from the first time they met, in Captain America 147 in 1972.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

So, classic Kingpin was a match for classic Spidey and much stronger than classic Cap. Then Marvel Handbook came out in 1982 and everything changed. It was decided that Cap was the peak of human perfection, faster than a sprinter, tougher than a marathoner, more agile than a gymnast and stronger than a weightlifter. The 800 lbs lifting thing was attached to him and, for the most part, it was a good thing. Cap had never been that strong before but, with the super-soldier serum, it made sense.

Spider-man got a huge upgrade. Handbook listed him as being able to lift 10 tons. I have no idea where Mark Gruenwald came up with this number; it was far above anything Spiderman had ever done, and it was much greater than the proportionate strength idea could justify. I think he made it up because it sounded good and writers have stuck with it or exaggerated it with Spider-man lifting 30 ton train cars and 50 ton tanks.

Gruenwald also decided to ignore all of Kingpin's feats of strength and said he could lift as much as an Olympic weightlifter. It was a huge downgrade. I think a lot of writers realized this and continued to write Fisk as inhumanly strong, the way Stan Lee had created him, rather than go with the numbers Gruenwald had pulled out of thin air.

I was rally excited by Handbook when it came out but have been very disappointed by it ever since. I'd rather go with what the writers and artists who created the characters thought than with the official stats from the Handbook. I think it was a good idea but was carried out poorly with not enough research and one writer (who I'm afraid I don't consider a very good writer) given way too much authority.

But that's just me.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cable_Extreme

Well the scans posted above speak for themselfs, but I have no idea of the context.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Conceptually it should be Cap.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matthew1061: These date back all the way to Amazing Spider-Man #33 by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. Doesn't give an exact weight but, judging by the size of that thing, I'm guessing it weighs considerably more than a car. Stan Lee always intended Spider-Man to be incredibly strong...it was the writers that took over after him that seemed to forget that.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

Conceptually it should be Cap.

leonkarlen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Strength: Fisk

Speed: Steve

Durable: Fisk

TBEMrMcCoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Classic Kingpin. The thing that made him so great back in the day was his uncanny strength.

SirMethos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By feats, I'd have to say Kingpin.

On paper, Cap is supposed to be stronger.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RisingBean

@shawnbaby: ASM issue 33 had a cover date of Feb 1966 (Edit: Ok. I pulled an all nighter and I'm tired. I read date, not weight. My mistake.)

As for this thread?

Classic Kingpin has the feats. Modern Kingpin doesn't.

The_Replicator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingpin has the feats, in both comics and cartoons. In the 90's Spider-Man cartoon, Fisk flipped a giant robot by picking up its FOOT while Captain America had trouble using his shield. He was also the only one to be able to break out of identical shackles that had managed to hold both Spider-Man and the Rhino, but weren't enough for him.

oceanmaster21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

king pun is stronger

BulletTimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap has to be stronger, there's literally no reason for Wilson to be stronger than him

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America

Frisky4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: ASM issue 33 had a cover date of Feb 1966 (Edit: Ok. I pulled an all nighter and I'm tired. I read date, not weight. My mistake.)

As for this thread?

Classic Kingpin has the feats. Modern Kingpin doesn't.

matthew1061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: Yes, this is Lee/Ditko, and you're right, Spidey was meant to be much stronger and faster than a human being. I'd also agree that looks like it weighs more than a car, though it's really hard to say how much more. At a guess I'd say it's several tons but I doubt it's anything like 10 tons.

The other thing to keep in mind about Spidey is that, from the beginning, freakishly strong but (supposedly) non-super characters have been able to give him a hard time. In addition to Kingpin, Stan Lee created Ox from the Enforcers and Man Mountain Marko, both of whom were able to match his strength.

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

By feats, I'd have to say Kingpin.

On paper, Cap is supposed to be stronger.

Avatar image for deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5
deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343 said:

It really depends... You have Classic Kingpin who at times could outmuscle Spider-Man, which takes him far out of Cap's strength range, but those feats aren't that consistent and Marvel does keep saying he isn't superhuman, so we could go with Cap being stronger but it's all up in the air tbh.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say that even classic Kingpin doesn't have very many objective strength feats. All his best strength feats are against Spider-Man...who is famous for not using his full strength again "normal" humans.

abraham700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By abraham700

Kingpin is higher than the peak-humans, He has proved over time

-He defeated Captain America, Falcon saved the day.

-Red Skull faced Kingpin in a cloned body of Captain America, but it was useless, Kingpin treated him like an idiot.

-Black Panther faced Kingpin recently, Black Panther was thrown by Kingpin like a rag doll.

Kingpin is definitely superhuman. low level, 1800 lbs or 1900 Lbs. This is less than 1 toner (2200 lbs)

Captain America is 1200 Lbs.

Nima_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nima_

Kingpin has ridiculous strength feats like tearing down a flight of stairs made of steel with his bare hands and swinging around a 3,000lb barbell as a weapon like a baseball bat.

abraham700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By abraham700

Kraven is rated 2 tons, ridiculous, Kraven must be 6 or 7 toner, he traded punches against Spider-man naturally when Spider-man was 10 toner.

''but,...but,...but,...Spider-man contain his punches.''

hahahahahahahahahaha Typical justified...No! Spiderman never contain against Kraven, maybe against Kingpin, but not against Kraven, ever.

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

It's close regardless of who is actually stronger.

GothamCiti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GothamCiti

Classic Kingpin is in a league of his own, but I think Current Kingpin is a generally a notch below Pre Secret Wars Steve.

abraham700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By abraham700

Captain America is not superhuman, he is not impressive. Captain America can bench press 1200 lbs.

The World record is 1102lbs.

Loading Video...

The record of bench press was 1095 Lbs, so Captain America was 1100 lbs, but the record was broken up is 1102 lbs, so ... the writers Increase Their strength, Captain America Increased from 1100 lbs to 1200 lbs.

Records are there to be broken. Soon the writers will have to increase the strength of Captain America again. He would always be slightly above the world record in any sport, just slightly, nothing more.

FableCounty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are very close I would say Cap might have an advantage but its damn close

Avatar image for super saiyan videl
Super Saiyan Videl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America is not superhuman, he is not impressive. Captain America can bench press 1200 lbs.

Loading Video...

The record of bench press was 1095 Lbs, so Captain America was 1100 lbs, but the record was broken up is 1102 lbs, so ... the writers Increase Their strength, Captain America Increased from 1100 lbs to 1200 lbs.

Records are there to be broken. Soon the writers will have to increase the strength of Captain America again. He would always be slightly above the world record in any sport, just slightly, nothing more.

So can this guy also rip through steel like nothing after being stabbed and drugged out?Didn't think so. These guys ain't got sh*t on Cap.

Avatar image for ninjawarrior268
NinjaWarrior268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

Kingpin

He can fight Spiderman.

abraham700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abraham700 said:

Loading Video...

So can this guy also rip through steel like nothing after being stabbed and drugged out?Didn't think so. These guys ain't got sh*t on Cap.

DAREDEVIL

No Caption Provided

BATMAN

No Caption Provided

Captain America rip through steel just like Daredevil and Batman can break walls.

PIS !!!!!

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super saiyan videl said:
@abraham700 said:

Loading Video...

DAREDEVIL

No Caption Provided

BATMAN

No Caption Provided

Captain America rip through steel just like Daredevil and Batman can break walls.

PIS !!!!!

dafuq!!! did batman just kick through a tree there?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wilson, but it isn't by much.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 juiceboks  Moderator

Red Skull admitted Fisk was stronger than him when they fought.

Avatar image for deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5
deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingpin is stronger overall, but Cap is stronger in some areas, like rotational movement.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

I was going to say Kingpin but when I think about it, I'm not sure.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Kingpin is stronger.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's how it is from my perspective.

Classic Kingpin (70s) >>>Captain America.

Modern Kingpin<Captain America.

CaramelSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America is at the zenith of human potential. You add that with his speed.....one hit would probably kill Kingpin.