This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by modernww2fare (7186 posts) 2 years, 4 months ago

Poll: Who has better striking power - DCEU Superman or MCU Hulk? (273 votes)

Superman 64%
Hulk 36%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-59d29c479f1ca
#201 Posted by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52 said:
  1. If a person goes to a gym and after 6 months , would his punch strength would be same as before and after gym ???
  2. So , r u saying that if Superman punched that ship he dragged (assuming it's indestructible) it would be in the same position ???

1) The difference before and after probably wouldn't be that significant. Why? Because lifting weights does very little to improve striking power.

2) I'm sure he would budge it. But, by how much is something we don't know because we haven't seen him do it.

Neither of this changes anything I said.

1. The Word "significant" clearly says that I am wasting my time with someone who wouldn't accept they are wrong !!!
  2. “We need them to be able to throw punches in some cases that are faster than the speed of sound,” states John DesJardin - my proof that I am definitely wasting my time with u from ur reply to others.
#202 Posted by Static Shock (53045 posts) - - Show Bio

1. The Word "significant" clearly says that I am wasting my time with someone who wouldn't accept they are wrong !!!

Case in point, yet again....

Lifting weights regularly does very little to increase striking power. Please, try to do some research. There are specific exercises and techniques for improving one's striking power. Just because you don't understand or don't want to doesn't mean that I'm wrong. You're just being bullheaded.

1. “We need them to be able to throw punches in some cases that are faster than the speed of sound,” states John DesJardin - my proof that I am definitely wasting my time with u from ur reply to others.

What exactly is this supposed to mean? Wow. You think that because you quoted something that someone else posted, it all of a sudden makes everything you've said any less erroneous? No, it doesn't. Plus, your argument is different from the other guy's, so I'm not sure how this helps you.

Throwing punches faster than sound doesn't mean anything there are no quantifiable striking feats to back that up.

#203 Posted by Mrnoital (8136 posts) - - Show Bio

Case in point, yet again....

Lifting weights regularly does very little to increase striking power. Please, try to do some research. There are specific exercises and techniques for improving one's striking power. Just because you don't understand or don't want to doesn't mean that I'm wrong. You're just being bullheaded.

thats not exactly true

there's a reason boxers are divided by weight class

sure as an individual, lifting weights isn't the best way to make your punches harder

but if you think someone that's bigger and stronger than you can't punch any harder than you, you'd be in for a surprise

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
#204 Edited by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio

If Superman's body easily smashed the top of a mountain simply by falling through it, then I'm pretty sure a punch where he packs a lot of power behind it is far superior to that of him falling. Superman merely falling down does more damage than Hulk's punches do. I'm pretty sure that making three 125 ton trains get derailed by punching a 400lb humanoid at it from hundreds of meters away is better than anything Hulk's done striking wise. This is ignoring that with an effortless hammer fist strike, Superman smashed material that endured flying through 8 different skyscrapers with no damage at all. Not to mention that while weakened, Superman punched Doomsday 25+ miles away.

Can anyone actually prove that the leviathans weigh anywhere near hundreds of tons? There were two instances, not one but two instances, of the leviathans falling down on cultural landscape. One on a bridge and second time on a skyscraper. Result of it? Landscape barely damaged. Not to mention that Iron Man lirerally flew inside one of them and blew it up. Iron Man also blew up the first leviathan with a missile (same one used or a tank) after Hulk punched it. Common sense tells us that those things weigh nowhere near hundreds of tons. And before anyone want to use the excuse that it was a writing inconsistency, do note that one of them tore a skyscraper in half by flying through it so don't sput any bullshit about inconsistencies.

Even then, people continously ignore that Hulk's punch wasn't the only thing that took the beast out. The fact that the leviathan gathered speed and suddenly stopped to a fist punching it says a lot as well. But people love to ignore that for some reason.

Superman's striking power is ridiculously more powerful than Hulk's.

#205 Edited by Static Shock (53045 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital said:

sure as an individual, lifting weights isn't the best way to make your punches harder

This is all that my post is about. Everything else you said has nothing to do with what I said.

#206 Posted by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

Throwing punches faster than sound doesn't mean anything there are no quantifiable striking feats to back that up.

• Is there any thing u have prove that Mach 1 punch has no quantifiable striking feats !!!
  • Please , don't make this reply to u an another time waste !!!
#207 Edited by Static Shock (53045 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52 said:
  • Is there any thing u have prove that Mach 1 punch has no quantifiable striking feats !!!

How much damage has Superman done with punches faster than sound, other than striking Zod? The both of them colliding with each other at superhuman speeds doesn't really count.

@nightmare52 said:

If you're wasting your time, why are you still responding me? You're not talking about anything, anyway. LOL.

#208 Posted by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52 said:

How much damage has Superman done with punches faster than sound, other than striking Zod? The both of them colliding with each other at superhuman speeds doesn't really count.

@nightmare52 said:

If you're wasting your time, why are you still responding me? You're not talking about anything, anyway. LOL.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
#209 Posted by deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99 (11593 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure that making three 125 ton trains get derailed by punching a 400lb humanoid at it from hundreds of miles away is better than anything Hulk's done striking wise.

Is that Nam-Ek's punch? If so, he was nowhere near "hundreds of miles away" from the trains.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#210 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17076 posts) - - Show Bio
#211 Posted by slimj87d (15680 posts) - - Show Bio

If we knew that space aliens mass and travel speed, you can actu quantify the amount of energy hulk's punch was to kill that thing.

#212 Edited by Scipio123 (643 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain_batman_ftw:

If Superman's body easily smashed the top of a mountain simply by falling through it, then I'm pretty sure a punch where he packs a lot of power behind it is far superior to that of him falling. Superman merely falling down does more damage than Hulk's punches do.

He destroyed a TINY portion of the tip of the mountain. What he took out was just loose rock/rubble. It's not an impressive feat:

No Caption Provided

I'm pretty sure that making three 125 ton trains get derailed by punching a 400lb humanoid at it from hundreds of miles away is better than anything Hulk's done striking wise.

Dude, that was from like, a quarter of a mile away, at best.

Superman smashed material that endured flying through 8 different skyscrapers with no damage at all. Not to mention that while weakened,

No different to Hulk smashing a creature that also casually crashed through skyscrapers.

Superman punched Doomsday 25+ miles away.

This. Literally. Never. Happened.

There were two instances, not one but two instances, of the leviathans falling down on cultural landscape. One on a bridge and second time on a skyscraper. Result of it? Landscape barely damaged.

Maybe you should ask Joss Whedon why he didn't focus on this one insanely small detail in the movie?

Not to mention that Iron Man lirerally flew inside one of them and blew it up.

This has no bearing on the Leviathan's weight.

Iron Man also blew up the first leviathan with a missile (same one used or a tank) after Hulk punched it.

This was only after the Leviathan had been stripped of its armour.

Common sense tells us that those things weigh nowhere near hundreds of tons.

No. Common sense tells us that given that Leviathans have similar dimensions to Blue Whales (and given that Blue Whales weigh between 160-180 tons), that those critters must have weighed at least that amount. When we add in the huge amount of thick armour they're wearing, it seems reasonable to put their weight at at LEAST 300 tons, if not significantly more than that.

#213 Posted by Scipio123 (643 posts) - - Show Bio
#214 Posted by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d said:

If we knew that space aliens mass and travel speed, you can actu quantify the amount of energy hulk's punch was to kill that thing.

That's the million dollar question which will never be answered (to closest level at least) !!!

#215 Edited by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@scipio123:

If they are 300 tons why did they were not able to demolish this building when they are DEAD since weight is the only factor here ???

No Caption Provided

#216 Posted by BruceRogers (17607 posts) - - Show Bio

Grade A logic in this thread

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#217 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17076 posts) - - Show Bio
#218 Posted by modernww2fare (7186 posts) - - Show Bio

Grade A logic in this thread

Welcome back :)

#219 Posted by slimj87d (15680 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52: spees can be estimated and the mass of a whale can be used to compare if we can scale a whale to it.

That's how I would estimate the kinetic energy, it sounds reasonable. I mean in truth the thing would still be heavier than a whale since it has metal on it.

So your calculations would be generous even.

#220 Posted by Static Shock (53045 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52: I'd probably post the same thing if I didn't have a rebuttal like you. But, okay.

Avatar image for nemesisreloaded
#221 Posted by NemesisReloaded (1530 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm interesting fact, the Empire State Building of New York, where the Chitauri attacked, weighs 365,000 tonnes and has 102 floors. An average of 3,580 tonnes per floor. Does anyone REALLY believe 300 tonnes of floating-whale meat on the roof would collapse such a building?

Nonsense.

Superman did fly through the World Engine, but he didn't punch it. He flew through it with his fists already out front.

Superman has punched Super beings, but those Super beings haven't always gone flying. Superman is stronger than the Hulk, but Hulk can strike harder. It's the case in the comics and its the case so far in the movies.

SO FAR.

#222 Posted by azrael1973 (2970 posts) - - Show Bio

Clark

#223 Edited by teefurtree (1192 posts) - - Show Bio
@nemesisreloaded said:

Hmm interesting fact, the Empire State Building of New York, where the Chitauri attacked, weighs 365,000 tonnes and has 102 floors. An average of 3,580 tonnes per floor. Does anyone REALLY believe 300 tonnes of floating-whale meat on the roof would collapse such a building?

The difference is that the weight of the Leviathan is not spread out about an entire floor, but on a smaller surface area. Also, the Leviathan would fall onto a given floor at speed - at least 50-60 mph. If the Leviathan weighs even 200 tons, then that's carrying kinetic energy of about 3.2 x 10^7 J, more than three times the KE of most tank rounds. That's going to do some damage - it wouldn't collapse a building, but it would probably collapse a few floors.

Anyway, the building that is being repeatedly referenced (the brown building) looks to be a 20-30 story building, not something nearly as large as the Empire State Building.

Avatar image for sleeping_and_eating
#224 Posted by sleeping_and_eating (341 posts) - - Show Bio
#225 Posted by TifaLockhart (21167 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Not a battle.

2. Since this is striking the way to go IMO is against other supers. I'd say Hulk given how easily he knocked Loki the frag out. And that late hit against his teammate Thor looked painful. Superman is strong but I bet he pulls his punches and his hits don't draw blood.

#226 Posted by BruceRogers (17607 posts) - - Show Bio
#227 Posted by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio
#228 Edited by DammeFavour (8495 posts) - - Show Bio

@tifalockhart: maybe the people superman hits are just alot more durable? Loki also got knocked on his ass by iron man

#229 Posted by NemesisReloaded (1530 posts) - - Show Bio

@nemesisreloaded said:

The difference is that the weight of the Leviathan is not spread out about an entire floor, but on a smaller surface area. Also, the Leviathan would fall onto a given floor at speed - at least 50-60 mph. If the Leviathan weighs even 200 tons, then that's carrying kinetic energy of about 3.2 x 10^7 J, more than three times the KE of most tank rounds. That's going to do some damage - it wouldn't collapse a building, but it would probably collapse a few floors.

Anyway, the building that is being repeatedly referenced (the brown building) looks to be a 20-30 story building, not something nearly as large as the Empire State Building.

True, it isn't the Empire State Building, but it's still a very large one. The only point I was trying to make is that 300 tonnes on the top of a very tall building made of steel and concrete is perfectly within the buildings strength. Plus, the Leviathan did collapse a couple of floors when it landed. BTW, I wasn't trying to say the building would be without damage, only that it wouldn't fall down as some people seem to think, just because a 300 ton beast landed on the top. I think how the movie represented this is perfectly sound.

#230 Edited by DammeFavour (8495 posts) - - Show Bio

@nemesisreloaded: realistically a couple floors would have collapsed, it wouldn't just kick up dust.....if it weighed that much

#231 Posted by NemesisReloaded (1530 posts) - - Show Bio

@DammeFavour said:

@nemesisreloaded: realistically a couple floors would have collapsed, it wouldn't just kick up dust.....if it weighed that much

I agree with that. To me, this looks like it buried itself in a couple of floors before it stopped:

No Caption Provided

#232 Posted by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio

@scipio123: ''He destroyed a TINY portion of the tip of the mountain. What he took out was just loose rock/rubble. It's not an impressive feat:''

This some serious lowballing, and that isn't surprising considering that you're trying to argue by defending Hulk against Superman. Only way to make your claims sound legit. LOL! He destroyed a small portion of the mountain, not a tiny portion. That's an exaggeration. And even then, that's completely irrelevant because Superman still smashed hundreds of tons of stone. You can clearly see that after the collision, the stone got divided into many rubbles which dwarfed the size of Superman. https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t35.0-12/16731345_1202027489910945_123529673_o.png?oh=efe9aa9825b80e2c9289cd79dbcf87a7&oe=58A56151

Superman simply falling down created more power than Hulk striking

''Dude, that was from like, a quarter of a mile away, at best.''

I meant to say meters, not miles.

''No different to Hulk smashing a creature that also casually crashed through skyscrapers''

Well yes it is, the difference is that the kryptonian ship did it on a laughably higher level. The kryptonian ship flew through eight different skyscrapers at more than 150mph and wasn't even stopped by them, while the leviathan was slowing down and did it in a much weaker manner. The kryptonian air ship went through it as if they weren't even standing there. I can not say the same for the leviathan.

Even then, for some reason you AND PRETTY MUCH EVERYONE SUPPORTING HULK ignore the fact that Superman EFFORTLESSLY destroyed that material with a simple hammer fist while Hulk put in so much effort using his entire body. I am sure that this will be overlooked and neglected and you will continue to argue against it because Hulk's feat is so kewl! These two feats are not comparable. The fact that one effortlessly destroys something more durable than the other one who put in much effort to KNOCK OUT something less durable than the first mentioned, should really tell you that this isn't comparable. I won't be surprised if you still continue to compare these two feats as if they're comparable. They are not comparable, so there is no need to even claim it and you didn't even prove it. Baseless as your claims. Lol

''This. Literally. Never. Happened.''

Yes it did. Your lack of knowledge doesn't mean that it didn't happen. When Superman took Doomsday to space, the military shot a nuke towards them. The nuke that chased Superman and Doomsday was ajust nuke that flew at mach 23 meaning over 15 miles per second. When the nuke was really close to Superman and Doomsday, Superman punched Doomsday far away and then Superman quickly flew away from the nuke and up towards Doomsday. The nuke didn't even cover half the distance Doomsday flew in some seconds meaning that Doomsday was punched 25+ (even more, I'm just lowballing it) miles away. This was while Superman was weakened.

''Maybe you should ask Joss Whedon why he didn't focus on this one insanely small detail in the movie?''

The leviathans were shown to fly through skyscrapers. Don't use that excuse.

''This has no bearing on the Leviathan's weight''

It shows its density

''No. Common sense tells us that given that Leviathans have similar dimensions to Blue Whales (and given that Blue Whales weigh between 160-180 tons), that those critters must have weighed at least that amount. When we add in the huge amount of thick armour they're wearing, it seems reasonable to put their weight at at LEAST 300 tons, if not significantly more than that.''

Nothing to back the 300 ton claim up with other than speculation? Oh no, what to do, I only have facts to support my claims with :/

#233 Posted by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d said:

@nightmare52: spees can be estimated and the mass of a whale can be used to compare if we can scale a whale to it.

That's how I would estimate the kinetic energy, it sounds reasonable. I mean in truth the thing would still be heavier than a whale since it has metal on it.

So your calculations would be generous even.

1. It isn't smart enough to put their weight in whale level considering that they are FLYING alien fish.
  2. HMA No. 1 Airship size is bigger than blue whale size but I can't assume that it is heavier coz it's big.
  3. The armor could be made of light weight metal to reduce weight to flying.
  4. I am not saying ur wrong , there are few scenarios where they show they don't have much weight which makes ur point invalid.
#234 Edited by slimj87d (15680 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52: I'd have to look at those scenes, didn't pay attention to any of them since I watched the movie and it's been years. But are you talking ab them falling on top of buildings and why the buildings don't get knocked over?

#235 Posted by hulkuberstomp (1791 posts) - - Show Bio
#236 Edited by DammeFavour (8495 posts) - - Show Bio

@hulkuberstomp: no he didn't. That had to do with his size. U replace hulk with an elephant and the same thing will probably happen. Plus that wasn't an actual earthquake if u understand what an earthquake is

#237 Posted by hulkuberstomp (1791 posts) - - Show Bio
#238 Posted by slimj87d (15680 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52: you're comparison between an airship and a living creature doesn't make sense actually. A structure goes through what we call topology to be as hallow of a structure as possible to support loads in directions that he needs to. You can't compare that to a living creature, but it makes more sense to compare a living creature to another living creature.

As for comparing the thing to a whale, I might be wrong there mostly due to me not having a chance to look up the footage of these things.

#239 Posted by DammeFavour (8495 posts) - - Show Bio
#240 Posted by hulkuberstomp (1791 posts) - - Show Bio
#241 Posted by DammeFavour (8495 posts) - - Show Bio
#242 Posted by hulkuberstomp (1791 posts) - - Show Bio
#243 Posted by DammeFavour (8495 posts) - - Show Bio

@hulkuberstomp: wasn't an earthquake. Hulk was underground trying to get out. Had to do with his size

#244 Edited by hulkuberstomp (1791 posts) - - Show Bio
#245 Edited by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio

@hulkuberstomp: Punched? Where did we see him punch? Answer is never. We didn't see it, therefore we can't assume so. Specially considering that it makes sense that Hulk shook the ground by tearing through it rather than punching. Long time ago I saw the scene. Even then, how's that better than Superman derailing three 125 ton train carriages by hitting a 400lbs humanoid at it from hundreds of meters away

#246 Posted by hulkuberstomp (1791 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain_batman_ftw: Its a good striking feat.Its not less impressive than Superman's Nam ek punch feat

#247 Posted by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d said:

@nightmare52: you're comparison between an airship and a living creature doesn't make sense actually. A structure goes through what we call topology to be as hallow of a structure as possible to support loads in directions that he needs to. You can't compare that to a living creature, but it makes more sense to compare a living creature to another living creature.

As for comparing the thing to a whale, I might be wrong there mostly due to me not having a chance to look up the footage of these things.

Loading Video...
  1. I compare airship to Leviathans coz both fly without much avionic device and they are similar in size and to backup my point.
  2. Why do Comparison a whale to Leviathans just coz they are living things ????
#249 Posted by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio

@hulkuberstomp: Where did we see him punch? For all we know, he could have pushed the concrete below the ground and smashed it. Show me him punching it because that isn't comparable to Superman falling through the top of a mountain, meaning that Hulk can't hope to match Superman's striking power even if Hulk punched the ground

#250 Posted by del_torro (3792 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, hulk is strong enough to dent vibranium (AOS season 2, Banners safe house where they had Daisy ). Vibranium has been able to take hits from grenades, thors hammer, repulsors, chitauri blasts, city busting explosions and as a added bonus absorbs kinetic energy, yet hulk was able to dent it with a punch.

Maybe Ragnarok will give him more impressive showings