This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by modernww2fare (7185 posts) 2 years, 4 months ago

Poll: Who has better striking power - DCEU Superman or MCU Hulk? (273 votes)

Superman 64%
Hulk 36%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#151 Posted by Static Shock (53045 posts) - - Show Bio

• I definitely wasted time with a person who believe strength has nothing to do with punching and can't accept that his statement is a mistake.
  • Have a good day or night.

LMAO. Case in point.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d29c479f1ca
#152 Posted by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52 said:
  • I definitely wasted time with a person who believe strength has nothing to do with punching and can't accept that his statement is a mistake.

LMAO. Case in point.

• I expected this kinda reply from u since this is the only way u can troll here.
  • Still u have provided 0℅ of reason why strength has nothing to do with punching other than ur irrelevant comparison.
Avatar image for blackpantherisb
#153 Posted by blackpantherisb (7334 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is this still a thing?

#154 Posted by lettsplay10 (20589 posts) - - Show Bio

clark

#155 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

DCEU wank is back.

#156 Edited by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio
@revan2424 said:

DCEU wank is back.

Really !!

All I could see mostly is MCU wankers as usual.

#157 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio
#158 Edited by Static Shock (53045 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52 said:
  • I expected this kinda reply from u since this is the only way u can troll here

I don't troll. I tell the truth.

@nightmare52 said:
  • Still u have provided 0℅ of reason why strength has nothing to do with punching other than ur irrelevant comparison.

I provided a reason, but 1) your reading comprehension is very questionable, and 2) your premise doesn't follow the conclusion. Non-sequitur logic.

Check this out.

"Contrary to popular belief, punching power is not predicated on just size, strength or body weight. There are many other factors that come into play when throwing a power punch. As a matter of fact, one crucial factor of punching power is learning to develop proper punching technique or "body mechanics" and it can be accomplished through professional training."

Here's another...

"When executing hand techniques from a stationary position, there are three anatomical power generators that will allow you to torque your body maximally. They include the following:

(1) shoulders

(2) hips

(3) feet

Maximally torquing your body into the blow will increase both the force and penetration of the punch. However, there is a very fine line between power and speed in relation to the three anatomical power generators. Shadow boxing on a regular basis or working out on the Body Opponent Bag will help you find the balance between these two important fighting attributes."

Source:

http://www.sammyfranco.com/punching-power.html

This is why your "lifting/pulling strength = striking power" argument doesn't work. This should be reason enough since you didn't get it the first time.

You will once again tell me that this is irrelevant (in a thread about striking power) and that you're wasting your time (even though you're STILL responding to me), when you're the one having trouble understanding....

Avatar image for natsudragneel41
#159 Posted by NatsuDragneel41 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is too reliant on his heat vision and from the striking feats we have seen, he really haven't seen his true power. Hulk on the other hand has had way better striking feats as displayed during the first Avengers film.

#160 Posted by CitizenSentry (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensentry said:

@nightmare52: I don't need proof to show you that a leviathan (something bigger than the size of entire buildings weighs a helluva lot more than 30 tons.

I think you need to go back to school and resit maths and science.

No Caption Provided
  1. Really 1 ton tank can do better damage than that flying fish did to this building.
  2. I am pretty sure u any of the class u mentioned above !!!
  3. And u need to explain why it didn't demolished this building when it died , if l u have attended any of those classes u mentioned above ??!!

Obviously a tank would do more damage, considering it fires HE shells.....Hang on, please tell you aren't saying a tank would would do more damage, just because of its weight.

I'm pretty sure you need to resit English as well.

It's fairly obvious why it didn't demolish the building, have you ever heard of momentum? After every floor the Leviathan went through it lost more of its momentum and eventually it ran out of momentum, and thus we discover the reason why it stopped.

I mean Jesus Christ kid, you should really just delete your account because you're not doing yourself any favours here with your debating style and attitude towards other users.

#161 Edited by Static Shock (53045 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, is there an official source on how much that Chitauri Leviathan weighs? If not, it makes no sense to assert its maximum weight and then argue about it.

#162 Posted by CitizenSentry (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

@static_shock: There is a way to measure it, you take into account it's length, height & density and then just choose a material that is the closest to what the Leviathan is made out of (including armour). I would do it, but I'm not good at that kind of thing. But from what I'm aware of there is no official weight listed.

#163 Edited by CitizenSentry (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

@static_shock:

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/175660/any-official-sizes-on-chitauri-leviathans-from-the-avengers-movie

this link takes you to a website that has some guesstimates on the Leviathans size.

#164 Posted by DonWayneII (540 posts) - - Show Bio

i think people seem to forget that the leviathan had already landed, grazing the ground pushing hulk back a good 10-15 metres. if hulk were to achieve that punch while it were still in the air i would be really impressed.

#165 Posted by Static Shock (53045 posts) - - Show Bio

@static_shock:

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/175660/any-official-sizes-on-chitauri-leviathans-from-the-avengers-movie

this link takes you to a website that has some guesstimates on the Leviathans size.

I looked at that yesterday.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer things to be absolute. I don't like to guess or assume things.

#166 Posted by CitizenSentry (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

@static_shock: You're not the only one mate, it bugs me unless I know the "true" answer, but sometimes all we can do is guesstimate to the best of our best abilities until we get a definitive answer.

#167 Posted by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52 said:
@citizensentry said:

@nightmare52: I don't need proof to show you that a leviathan (something bigger than the size of entire buildings weighs a helluva lot more than 30 tons.

I think you need to go back to school and resit maths and science.

No Caption Provided
  1. Really 1 ton tank can do better damage than that flying fish did to this building.
  2. I am pretty sure u any of the class u mentioned above !!!
  3. And u need to explain why it didn't demolished this building when it died , if l u have attended any of those classes u mentioned above ??!!

Obviously a tank would do more damage, considering it fires HE shells.....Hang on, please tell you aren't saying a tank would would do more damage, just because of its weight.

I'm pretty sure you need to resit English as well.

It's fairly obvious why it didn't demolish the building, have you ever heard of momentum? After every floor the Leviathan went through it lost more of its momentum and eventually it ran out of momentum, and thus we discover the reason why it stopped.

I mean Jesus Christ kid, you should really just delete your account because you're not doing yourself any favours here with your debating style and attitude towards other users.

1. Genius , I was saying just dropping the tank from that altitude would demolish that building.
  2. I am definitely saying tank would demolish that building coz of weightif it is dropped at same speed and altitude that fish.
  3. OMG , do you know what is momentum ????
  4. Ironman's first silver suit which was barely 1 ton was able to go through multiple floor when it was barely few inches away from the surface than those flying fish that barely made a damage.
  5. Did I just broke ur heart that was completely made of speculation, it seems like I did !??
Loading Video...
#168 Posted by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52 said:
  • I expected this kinda reply from u since this is the only way u can troll here

I don't troll. I tell the truth.

@nightmare52 said:

I provided a reason, but 1) your reading comprehension is very questionable, and 2) your premise doesn't follow the conclusion. Non-sequitur logic.

Check this out.

"Contrary to popular belief, punching power is not predicated on just size, strength or body weight. There are many other factors that come into play when throwing a power punch. As a matter of fact, one crucial factor of punching power is learning to develop proper punching technique or "body mechanics" and it can be accomplished through professional training."

Here's another...

"When executing hand techniques from a stationary position, there are three anatomical power generators that will allow you to torque your body maximally. They include the following:

(1) shoulders

(2) hips

(3) feet

Maximally torquing your body into the blow will increase both the force and penetration of the punch. However, there is a very fine line between power and speed in relation to the three anatomical power generators. Shadow boxing on a regular basis or working out on the Body Opponent Bag will help you find the balance between these two important fighting attributes."

Source:

http://www.sammyfranco.com/punching-power.html

This is why your "lifting/pulling strength = striking power" argument doesn't work. This should be reason enough since you didn't get it the first time.

You will once again tell me that this is irrelevant (in a thread about striking power) and that you're wasting your time (even though you're STILL responding to me), when you're the one having trouble understanding....

1. So r u saying that superman doesn't punch harder than professional boxer coz from ur statement it's like u mean it ????

2. Superman literally punched faster than sound in few occasions , which is completely impossible if he isn't punch harder ????
  3. Is there anything u have seen where he wasn't punching without using shoulders , hips and feet ????
  4. I am using lifting strength to determine his strength which wasn't even his max level !!
  5. So Tell me lifting strength wouldn't even increase punch strength not even 50℅ before lifting weight of the same person ????
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#169 Edited by CitizenSentry (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52:

No it wouldn't. Go back to school, because if you carry on with the way you're going then the Ban hammer will target you next.

No it wouldn't.

Yes I do, I'm asking if you know because judging from your responses you clearly don't.

That's because its weight was spread out over a few inches (his feet) unlike the leviathans weight that was spread out over a few hundred feet (weight distribution), you're also comparing a state of the art house that was built on a cliffside (thus increasing the need for lightweight materials) as opposed to that of an old building in downtown New York that more than likely used heavy steel.

Also as you can see right before the clip ends you can that Tony's boots (which are jet boosters) are incredibly close to the roof thus reducing its structural integrity.

I don't even know if you know what you're saying. You're saying that a 1 ton tank dropped from the same height as the Leviathan (which weighs approx 600 tons) would cause the same amount of damage. Just look at the numbers and you would realise how intentionally dense you are being.

#170 Posted by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52:

No it wouldn't. Go back to school, because if you carry on with the way you're going then the Ban hammer will target you next.

No it wouldn't.

Yes I do, I'm asking if you know because judging from your responses you clearly don't.

That's because its weight was spread out over a few inches (his feet) unlike the leviathans weight that was spread out over a few hundred feet (weight distribution), you're also comparing a state of the art house that was built on a cliffside (thus increasing the need for lightweight materials) as opposed to that of an old building in downtown New York that more than likely used heavy steel.

Also as you can see right before the clip ends you can that Tony's boots (which are jet boosters) are incredibly close to the roof thus reducing its structural integrity.

I don't even know if you know what you're saying. You're saying that a 1 ton tank dropped from the same height as the Leviathan (which weighs approx 600 tons) would cause the same amount of damage. Just look at the numbers and you would realise how intentionally dense you are being.

• Really it jaw was 100 feet go and see an eye doctor.
  • 600 tons is there any vaild proof ???
  • Is there any proof that a building roof can withstand a 600 tons weight ?????
#171 Edited by CitizenSentry (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jashro44: Mate can you sort this guy out? I can't understand a word he's saying and the guy is obviously just a troll.

#172 Posted by jashro44 (53633 posts) - - Show Bio
#173 Edited by Static Shock (53045 posts) - - Show Bio
@nightmare52 said:
  1. So r u saying that superman doesn't punch harder than professional boxer coz from ur statement it's like u mean it ????
  2. Superman literally punched faster than sound in few occasions , which is completely impossible if he isn't punch harder ????
  3. Is there anything u have seen where he wasn't punching without using shoulders , hips and feet ????
  4. I am using lifting strength to determine his strength which wasn't even his max level !!
  5. So Tell me lifting strength wouldn't even increase punch strength not even 50℅ before lifting weight of the same person ????

1) I was explaining the significance of striking power. I wasn't saying that Superman doesn't punch harder than a pro boxer. You're not even paying attention.

2) ......

3) DCEU Superman isn't a trained boxer. So, I haven't seen it and neither have you.

4) Lifting strength determines lifting strength. Nothing more

5) I don't even understand what you're saying there.

#174 Posted by hyiena (5366 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman should be stronger but still think Leviathan is best example of striking power.

#175 Posted by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensentry:

1. U r claiming that flying-fish has 600 tons where it never showed anything to prove even when it died and fell over that building.
  2. 1 ½ inch thick countertop made of standard concrete has an approximate weight of 18.75 pounds per square foot. (Granite is approximately 18 pounds per square foot.)
  3. FYI , 6-8 inches concrete thickness is used for helipad.
  4. So , how does building roof of 6 inches (max ) can withstand that alien fish 600 tons ( without considering it momentum ) , where it's max load capacity is around 2-5 tons ?????
#176 Posted by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52 said:

1) I was explaining the significance of striking power. I wasn't saying that Superman doesn't punch harder than a pro boxer. You're not even paying attention.

2) ......

3) DCEU Superman isn't a trained boxer. So, I haven't seen it and neither have you.

4) Lifting strength determines lifting strength. Nothing more

5) I don't even understand what you're saying there.

1. If a person goes to a gym and after 6 months , would his punch strength would be same as before and after gym ???
  2. So , r u saying that if Superman punched that ship he dragged (assuming it's indestructible) it would be in the same position ???
Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
#177 Posted by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensentry: The leviathan weighs helluva lot more than 30 tons? That's clearly why the bridge one of them collapsed on was just fine, right? I mean, something helluva lot more that more 30 tons wuld smash right through a concrete bridge if released from 40-50 meters. How about the building that was barey damaged (only thing that happened was that some concrete got smashed, nothing more) when one of them collapsed on it from yet again at around 30-40 meters? So much for 'helluva lot more than 30 tons'. Lmao. Too much reaching

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
#178 Posted by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio

The density of the leviathan was apparently so thick that Iron Man was able to fly right into it and out of it. Lol, thousand tons my ass. A blue whale weighs like 150-170 ton but a leviathan is supposed to weigh 600-1000 tons? LOL! Superman derails multiple 125 tons carriages by punching Nam-ek at it from hundreds of meters away, and also destroys material that flew through 8 different buildings unscathed with ease. His strenght is as superior to Hulk as his durability is as well

#179 Edited by buildhare (8746 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless we're arguing that the Leviathan is made of helium and not actual tissue then there's no way it could weigh anything less than several hundred tons (biggest creature on earth weighing in at around 180 tons and being about three to four times smaller than a Leviathan) arguing it's only a couple of times heavier then an elephant based on one scene with a bridge you can kind of see and "it says it can only support four tons!" is ridiculous, ignore it for the inconsistency it is and move on.

#180 Edited by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@buildhare said:

Unless we're arguing that the Leviathan is made of helium and not actual tissue then there's no way it could weigh anything less then several hundred tons (biggest creature on earth weighing in at around 180 tons and being about three to four times smaller than a Leviathan) arguing it's only a couple of times heavier then an elephant based on one scene with a bridge you can kind of see and "it says it can only support four tons!" is ridiculous, ignore it for the inconsistency it is and move on.

1. They were able to fly without any avionic technology clearly says they were made of light weight alien element similar to hydrogen and helium.
  2. Inability to destroy that building after they died supports that they are light weighted !!!
#181 Posted by CitizenSentry (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52:

Superman can fly without any technology, does that mean he's made out of helium? No. Stop being idiotic.

#182 Edited by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensentry said:

@nightmare52:

Superman can fly without any technology, does that mean he's made out of helium? No. Stop being idiotic.

1. Lol , have u seen mos , they showed scene where he and zod was able to affect gravity around them , clearly says they use gravity field to fly.
  2. And the inability to destroy that building confirm that they are light weighted.
  3. Stop being a jackass , think before you reply !!!!
#184 Edited by JBob (373 posts) - - Show Bio

physical strength, as in lifting and moving objects around, is probably the thing that effects the punching power least. weight? yes...distance and speed the fist travels? yes...the muscular makeup of the arm? no....can lifting help generate momentum? it can build muscle but if you cant throw a punch than it helps very little. example would be that boxers spend very little time lifting heavy, its a detriment to their training as they can punch just as hard without lifting weights. this is obviously science fiction but your talking about it kind of realistically...

if you want to get technical a LOT of punching power is generated in how the ligaments are configured on your hand/wrist/forearm

@nightmare52 said:
@static_shock said:
@nightmare52 said:

LMAO. Case in point.

• I expected this kinda reply from u since this is the only way u can troll here.

#185 Edited by teefurtree (1192 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52 said:
@citizensentry said:

@nightmare52:

1. Lol , have u seen mos , they showed scene where he and zod was able to affect gravity around them , clearly says they use gravity field to fly.

That isn't technology, that would be a Kryptonian biological function. I assume either the space whales have a similar function, given they must be able to maneuver in a microgravity environment to live in their native habitat, or are outfitted with Chitauri technology allowing them to fly.

I'm on your side in this debate, but it seems like you're not reading/understanding a lot of things.

#186 Posted by BruceRogers (17607 posts) - - Show Bio

@buildhare said:

Unless we're arguing that the Leviathan is made of helium and not actual tissue then there's no way it could weigh anything less then several hundred tons (biggest creature on earth weighing in at around 180 tons and being about three to four times smaller than a Leviathan) arguing it's only a couple of times heavier then an elephant based on one scene with a bridge you can kind of see and "it says it can only support four tons!" is ridiculous, ignore it for the inconsistency it is and move on.

1. They were able to fly without any avionic technology clearly says they were made of light weight alien element similar to hydrogen and helium.
  2. Inability to destroy that building after they died supports that they are light weighted !!!

Are you serious right now?. This is reaching to the nth level.

#187 Posted by Shouvik89 (176 posts) - - Show Bio

Tough one, but since DCEU Supes has higher strength feats, I think his striking power may be a bit higher.

#188 Edited by deactivated-59d29c479f1ca (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@teefurtree: @brucerogers:

• I am just saying it's made of light weighted element coz That's the only logical possibility that explains the size and weight ratio !!
  • Even if we assume that it has gravity tech to fly , it doesn't explain that lack of weight that made that building to withstand it's momentum+weight.
  • I never said kryptonian's use tech to fly.
#189 Edited by Static Shock (53045 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightmare52 said:
  1. If a person goes to a gym and after 6 months , would his punch strength would be same as before and after gym ???
  2. So , r u saying that if Superman punched that ship he dragged (assuming it's indestructible) it would be in the same position ???

1) The difference before and after probably wouldn't be that significant. Why? Because lifting weights does very little to improve striking power.

2) I'm sure he would budge it. But, by how much is something we don't know because we haven't seen him do it.

Neither of this changes anything I said.

#190 Posted by DammeFavour (8495 posts) - - Show Bio

@static_shock: i don't think your explanation changes anything, neither of these guys are competent fighters but superman punches much faster compared to hulk so i say his striking power is superior by a wide margin

#191 Edited by Static Shock (53045 posts) - - Show Bio

@DammeFavour said:

@static_shock: i don't think your explanation changes anything, neither of these guys are competent fighters but superman punches much faster compared to hulk so i say his striking power is superior by a wide margin

My explanation was in response to someone thinking that Superman's striking power is calculated by how much he lifts, which is erroneous. Striking power isn't measured or properly applied that way, hence my explanation. If someone wants to prove Superman's striking power is so phenomenal, they need to do so using showings of striking power, not lifting heavy things or pulling heavy things.

Also, as for Superman punching faster than Hulk, I'm not sure what to make of that or if it even matters. The comic book version of Superman has numerous showings of punches at superhuman speed (thousands of punches in a second, etc, etc), and they do a lot less damage than the punches he throws at normal speeds (which usually have more power behind them). The former usually does some damage and dazzles the target without making them budge. The latter usually does substantially more damage than the former while knocking the target back. Pretty sure DCEU Superman isn't much different.

I'd even go out on a limb and state that since DCEU Superman and MCU Hulk have their fight scenes animated in CGI, the speed at which they throw punches isn't very apart, if at all.

#192 Edited by DammeFavour (8495 posts) - - Show Bio

@static_shock: except the entire fight between superman and zod was at supersonic speed. The most powerful strike from hulk couldn't damage a human in close proximity. So far hulk only has one impressive striking feat in all of 3 movies, that is by definition an outlier. Superman has numerous. And yes the speed superman throws punches is much faster than mcu hulk evidenced by the mach cones. Being CGI changes nothing

#193 Edited by Static Shock (53045 posts) - - Show Bio

@DammeFavour said:

@static_shock: except the entire fight between superman and zod was at supersonic speed.

They might have been flying at supersonic speed, which is questionable, since there weren't any sonic booms present as a result of their flight. They weren't throwing punches at that speed, though. Big difference. All of the shockwaves were generated from the impact of their strikes.

@DammeFavour said:

The most powerful strike from hulk couldn't damage a human in close proximity.

This is a lie. In the Incredible Hulk, he kicks Blonsky in the torso, sending his body flying hundreds of feet into a tree. Pretty sure that damaged him significantly at the time, but Blonsky was injected with a altered version of the super-soldier serum prior to that, allowing him to heal completely and survive the attack. Any normal human being would have died.

If you're talking about the time Hulk backhanded Black Widow, that hardly counts. A backhanded punch is weaker than a regular one, and a lot weaker than the kick he delivered to Blonsky. What about strikes that were one-shotting Chitauri aliens? Those were kill-strikes, and the Chitauri had to be at least as durable as humans.

@DammeFavour said:

Superman has numerous.

LOL. He's only been in two movies!

Numerous where? Numerous how!?

@DammeFavour said:

And yes the speed superman throws punches is much faster than mcu hulk evidenced by the mach cones

Ain't no mach cones. I just watched his fight with Zod. Once again, those are shockwaves generated from the impact of their punches.

Being CGI changes nothing

It changes everything. I watched Hulk's fight with Hulkbuster Iron Man again. Punching speed is the same as it is Superman and Zod's fight.

CGI is the reason why, and MCU Hulk wasn't slow by any means.

#194 Edited by DammeFavour (8495 posts) - - Show Bio

@static_shock: dude....they are mach cones. However u want to put it shockwave or sonic boom, it is still more than we can say for hulk. I was talking about the fist bump in AOU, there was someone close to them. The special effects guys have confirmed a long time ago that they were sonic booms, educate yourself mate

#195 Posted by Static Shock (53045 posts) - - Show Bio

@static_shock: dude....they are mach cones.

Mach cones aren't generated from impact. Go educate yourself instead being condescending.

I was talking about the fist bump in AOU.

Same thing. Look up the definition of a sonic boom. It comes from an object traveling through the air faster than the speed of sound, not when it makes impact with something.

The special effects guys at Industrial Light and Magic don't get paid to be scientists. They get paid to animate and apply special effects. Clearly they don't know what what a sonic boom is and how it happens.

#196 Posted by DammeFavour (8495 posts) - - Show Bio

@static_shock: there's no point to this. You're going out of your way to deny established facts. The creators say sonic booms and your saying shockwaves, same thing was generated when faora was blitzing

#197 Edited by Static Shock (53045 posts) - - Show Bio

@DammeFavour said:

@static_shock: there's no point to this. You're going out of your way to deny established facts. The creators say sonic booms and your saying shockwaves, same thing was generated when faora was blitzing

I watched the same movies you watched. Again, ain't no mach cones/sonic booms. These aren't generated when objects collide, they are generated when objects exceed Mach 1 as they travel through the air. They are simply just shockwaves coming from the impact of their punches. You're deluding yourself into thinking that their punches are faster than sound, when they aren't.

Other than that, I'm not sure where you pulled these "established facts" from. Again, the creators don't know what a sonic boom is and how its created.

#198 Edited by DammeFavour (8495 posts) - - Show Bio

@static_shock: "Implying speed while allowing the actions during the fight sequences to be perceived by the audience was part of the initial testing handled by MPC. “We need them to be able to throw punches in some cases that are faster than the speed of sound,” states John DesJardin. “What we did was to keep the action on the edge of being not perceived but it would still be there. We layered in glows on the leading surfaces of the fist and arm. We put in some Mach cones to give you a visual cue that, ‘This fist must be going super fast as I can see that condensation right there.’ Sometimes they move so fast that we can’t see them from Point A to Point B but we can see moments, a couple of frames where they’re slowed down enough to read their poses; that’s the case especially for Faora who faces off with the Army in the Smallville Battle. There is one particular shot where she takes out seven to nine Army guys in the space of just a few seconds. You see Faora at the point where she takes each soldier down and in-between you see the soldiers firing and not her. Sonic boom effects keyed to her quick body movements make her perceptible.”

And yes, they know what a sonic boom is, it seems you don't

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/07/fight-flight-making-of-man-of-steel/

#199 Edited by Static Shock (53045 posts) - - Show Bio

@DammeFavour said:

@static_shock: "Implying speed while allowing the actions during the fight sequences to be perceived by the audience was part of the initial testing handled by MPC. “We need them to be able to throw punches in some cases that are faster than the speed of sound,” states John DesJardin. “What we did was to keep the action on the edge of being not perceived but it would still be there. We layered in glows on the leading surfaces of the fist and arm. We put in some Mach cones to give you a visual cue that, ‘This fist must be going super fast as I can see that condensation right there.’ Sometimes they move so fast that we can’t see them from Point A to Point B but we can see moments, a couple of frames where they’re slowed down enough to read their poses; that’s the case especially for Faora who faces off with the Army in the Smallville Battle. There is one particular shot where she takes out seven to nine Army guys in the space of just a few seconds. You see Faora at the point where she takes each soldier down and in-between you see the soldiers firing and not her. Sonic boom effects keyed to her quick body movements make her perceptible.”

And yes, they know what a sonic boom is, it seems you don't

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/07/fight-flight-making-of-man-of-steel/

Too bad this doesn't really prove me wrong. Realistically, sonic booms/mach cones aren't generated when objects collide with each other. They are generated when an object flies through the air faster than the speed of sound.

"When an airplane travels through the air, it produces sound waves. If the plane is traveling slower than the speed of sound (the speed of sound varies, but 700 mph is typical through air), then sound waves can propagate ahead of the plane. If the plane breaks the sound barrier and flies faster than the speed of sound, it produces a sonic boom when it flies past. The boom is the "wake" of the plane's sound waves."

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question73.htm

So yes, I know what a sonic boom is. Maybe you don't, but the way a sonic boom goes off is pretty straightforward, unlike in Man of Steel, where they just decided to use those effects for a different purpose in the film (impact strikes) to make the fights perceptible. Even if they are throwing punches faster than sound, there still isn't anything quantifiable about them to judge how powerful those punches are. So, I'm not sure what the big deal is.

#200 Posted by GhostRavage (14945 posts) - - Show Bio

@static_shock:

Also, as for Superman punching faster than Hulk, I'm not sure what to make of that or if it even matters. The comic book version of Superman has numerous showings of punches at superhuman speed (thousands of punches in a second, etc, etc), and they do a lot less damage than the punches he throws at normal speeds (which usually have more power behind them).

No Caption Provided