Who can replicate Jon Snow's BotB feat?

• 54 results
buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Who can not only survive the sequence but kill a similar amount of men to Jon in the melee? Everyone has standard gear and otherwise assumes Jon's exact role in the scene.

• Bronn
  • Brienne
  • Oberyn
  • The Hound
  • The Mountain
  • Khal Drogo
  • Karl fookin Tanner
  • Arthur Dayne

Who does it the best?

Superhero24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Khal Drogo

Arthur Dayne

Bronn

The Hound

Oberyn

not sure about Mountain or Brienne. They are pretty big. It might be difficult with endurance for them.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 the_red_viper  Moderator

All of the above probably barring Karl and maybe Drogo.

Avatar image for deactivated-6249a821a8c64
deactivated-6249a821a8c64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of them bar Karl and maybe Drogo, yeah.

Brienne prolly does it the best.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71d5620272
deactivated-59b71d5620272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Karl and Drogo can't, probably Obeyrn too. The others should.

Six-Deuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this. I would add Oberyn as well only because a lot of those specific feats would be very difficult to replicate with a spear.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_red_viper said:

this. I would add Oberyn as well only because a lot of those specific feats would be very difficult to replicate with a spear.

Oberyn had history fighting in a sellsword company. I think he can use many types of weapons, and the spear is just his favorite, and is also tailored against someone like Gregor. We've seen people with spears kicking ass and taking names in GoT though (Grey Worm), so I'd bet Oberyn can do it too.

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By buildhare

@six-deuce said:
@the_red_viper said:

Oberyn had history fighting in a sellsword company. I think he can use many types of weapons, and the spear is just his favorite, and is also tailored against someone like Gregor. We've seen people with spears kicking ass and taking names in GoT though (Grey Worm), so I'd bet Oberyn can do it too.

And struggle in very close quarters with groups of enemies, I don't think BotB really suits a spear user at all.

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bronn, Dayne, Drogo in no particular order.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_red_viper said:
@six-deuce said:
@the_red_viper said:

And struggle in very close quarters with groups of enemies, I don't think BotB really suits a spear user at all.

Who outnumbered him like at least 12 to 1 and had him surrounded in a narrow corridor, in Casterly Rock he had no problem butchering Lannisters left and right. I made a respect thread for him just a couple of hours ago actually.

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buildhare said:
@the_red_viper said:
@six-deuce said:
@the_red_viper said:

Who outnumbered him like at least 12 to 1 and had him surrounded in a narrow corridor, in Casterly Rock he had no problem butchering Lannisters left and right. I made a respect thread for him just a couple of hours ago actually.

Who nearly all attacked him one after the other and were also almost all beaten using to the shield. Oberyn lacks that luxury and a shield, what Greyworm did isn't really comparable to what Oberyn needs to do here. In general gear is probably the most important thing in this scenario. A spear means he can attack from further away but in a fight where you're constantly being rushed on all sides how much does that actually do for you? Especially considering a spear user has to commit more to each kill than a swordsmen (thrusting v slashing, one doesn't need to slow down at all) and leave themselves exposed for longer, which is how most people were caught out in that fight.

Gear is important for the rest as well, Brienne and Gregor are the most protected but they're also extremely vulnerable to mounted riders whereas Bronn or Drogo can avoid them like Jon did.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_red_viper said:
@buildhare said:
@the_red_viper said:
@six-deuce said:
@the_red_viper said:

Who nearly all attacked him one after the other and were also almost all beaten using to the shield. Oberyn lacks that luxury and a shield, what Greyworm did isn't really comparable to what Oberyn needs to do here. In general gear is probably the most important thing in this scenario. A spear means he can attack from further away but in a fight where you're constantly being rushed on all sides how much does that actually do for you? Especially considering a spear user has to commit more to each kill than a swordsmen (thrusting v slashing, one doesn't need to slow down at all) and leave themselves exposed for longer, which is how most people were caught out in that fight.

Gear is important for the rest as well, Brienne and Gregor are the most protected but they're also extremely vulnerable to mounted riders whereas Bronn or Drogo can avoid them like Jon did.

Grey Worm ditched the shield at a relatively early phase of that fight (1:37), most of his kills were with his spear, although yeah he did use the shield a little as well.

Loading Video...

Also, Oberyn can cut with the side of his spear like he did to Gregor's calf. Not as effectively as a sword, granted, but still. In any case, being a part of a sellsword company (and IIRC in the books he also formed a company of his own) means that he has experience in large open battles.

Six-Deuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper:

It would require some new techniques as yet unshown to get Oberyn with his long poisoned spear through some of those hectic fightscenes. Maybe it is possible, seems more likely he would get it caught in the spokes of the wooden stairwell while twirling it and stabbed in the back by a wildling before he could recover. Not to say he isn't skilled enough, just this set of circumstances does not suit him.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ParagonNate

Most fighters worth anything in the show. A lot of Jon's opponents in that sequence were distracted or already fighting someone else. The ones that he did take head on came at him, usually, one at a time or only a few and they all got one or two shotted and very few of them required any elaborate swordsmanship on Jon's part.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Most fighters mentioned.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arthur Dayne probably does it easiest, that Tower of Joy fight was something else.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the_red_viper  Moderator

@six-deuce: As I said, Oberyn's history as a sellsword means that he has experience in large scale battles like the BotB. Coupled with his obvious martial skill, speed amd agility, I cam definitely see him breezing through a battlefield like that.

Six-Deuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Six-Deuce

@the_red_viper: Sure, but I doubt he would select such a poor weapon choice for the battlefield as the one he is stuck with here. At the very least he would be armed similar to the way you see other Dornishmen armed for warfare. As I said, I don't doubt at all that Oberyn is skillful enough to do all this, he is hindered by the OP rules here however.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

@six-deuce said:

@the_red_viper: Sure, but I doubt he would select such a poor weapon choice for the battlefield as the one he is stuck with here. At the very least he would be armed similar to the way you see other Dornishmen armed for warfare. As I said, I don't doubt at all that Oberyn is skillful enough to do all this, he is hindered by the OP rules here however.

I doubt he will have a problem using his spear in a large scale battle. It's also unclear at what point of the fight they start, if it's before shit started going down I doubt Oberyn would have run forward solo like Jon did. Then he would have been on horseback which is better for him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a20a68641bc7
deactivated-5a20a68641bc7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drogo may be quite ill-equipped for this, and is probably the most likely casualty in the list. I'm not sure that Karl Tanner can survive, either. Oberyn could die, but only if he approaches the battle in an unwise manner.

cdiddyman911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only Karl can't, maybe Oberyn depending on how careless he is.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@the_red_viper: Who do you think would win in a fight between Bronn vs Jon ??

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Karl can't, Oberyn and Drogo I'm not sure about, not sure how Oberyn's fight style is suited to a large battle being swarmed constantly, and Drogo has no armour but he's quick enough to dodge and stuff and we saw Dothraki take on Lannisters so I'm inclined to say he can. Bronn likely can too but unsure on him too but I'd lean to him being able to.

Six-Deuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: There is a reason roman soldiers routinely trounced framae (spear) wielding celts and germanics. The spear is unwieldy in tight quarters....I imagine Oberyn would go to battle with different kit, like a scimitar and buckler (to remain thematic) or something.

I guess we are splitting hairs, I agree Oberyn is definitely skilled enough....who knows, maybe he could muscle through the handicap on skill alone.

Shazam99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shazam99

The Fookin Legend and Bronn definitely don't pull it off. Drogo doesn't have the feats. The Mountain and Brienne are too slow, Jon had some arrow-timing moments in there.

I'm very confident Dayne clears. Oberyn is crazy fast, incredibly technically skilled, and has the most versatile experience of basically anyone. He definitely survives as well, despite a probable weapon disadvantage in-context. The Hound is one of the most well-rounded fighters on the show, I'll also give him the benefit of the doubt.

TheSuperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The Hound

SirDrProfessor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 the_red_viper  Moderator
ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shazam99 said:

The Fookin Legend and Bronn definitely don't pull it off. Drogo doesn't have the feats. The Mountain and Brienne are too slow, Jon had some arrow-timing moments in there.

I'm very confident Dayne clears. Oberyn is crazy fast, incredibly technically skilled, and has the most versatile experience of basically anyone. He definitely survives as well, despite a probable weapon disadvantage in-context. The Hound is one of the most well-rounded fighters on the show, I'll also give him the benefit of the doubt.

No dang it. Jon wasn't arrow timing. He was ducking into a ball and managing not to get hit by arrows that were mass fired and unaimed. If he had swatted one out of the air it would have been arrow timing, but as it is he's no more an arrow timer than any other man that didn't get hit by an arrow during the battle.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 the_red_viper  Moderator

@paragonnate: To be fair, while you're 100% right that Jon only avoided the arrows on the battlefield by sheer luck, he did arrow-time a bit later when he fought Ramsay.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paragonnate: To be fair, while you're 100% right that Jon only avoided the arrows on the battlefield by sheer luck, he did arrow-time a bit later when he fought Ramsay.

Ehhhhhhh. Eeeeeeehhhhhh. He had a shield there, and Ramsey had to draw the bow before firing. Ramsey draws, aimed, and loosed and Jon raised his shield when Ramsey aimed but before he fired. Thaat's not exactly what I would call arrow timing. Regular humans did that a lot throughout history. I mean it's a nice showing. But far from amazing.

Loading Video...

For reference, starts at the important bit.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

@paragonnate: First time is arguable, but with the second and third times, Jon raised his shield after Ramsay released the arrows. It requires the same reaction speed as catching the arrow or slicing it in mid-air, albeit not as much percision/dexterity.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c0eef934dfe
deactivated-59c0eef934dfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bronn

Brienne

The Hound

The Mountain

Arthur Dayne

I'm not seeing how the Mountain isn't the greatest battlefield warrior in the series, to be honest.

pastepotpete1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jon snow became king of the north because he is has a lot of heart , bravery , and he is good at making speeches not because he is a great figther .. he isnt a great fighter but he is very good not just better than average but faaaaaaaar better

jon snow isnt even in top ten .. jon snow got punked by Olly

Khal Drogo

Arthur Dayne

Bronn

The Hound

Oberyn

not sure about Mountain or Brienne. They are pretty big. It might be difficult with endurance for them.

mountain would destroy jon snow .. tv show briene would do too .. not sure about the book briene .. tv show briene kicked jamies ass when he has two hands .. tormund knows he would kick jon snows ass but he respects snow

wait you think mountain can beat snow but the hound can ? okay i am done here

Avatar image for deactivated-5a220d15cc740
deactivated-5a220d15cc740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paragonnate: First time is arguable, but with the second and third times, Jon raised his shield after Ramsay released the arrows. It requires the same reaction speed as catching the arrow or slicing it in mid-air, albeit not as much percision/dexterity.

Nice find. Not sure about the first two but the last one was definitely arrow-timing. Jon clearly raised the shield after Ramsey released the arrow. Jon is officially an arrow-timer now.

pastepotpete1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper said:

Nice find. Not sure about the first two but the last one was definitely arrow-timing. Jon clearly raised the shield after Ramsey released the arrow. Jon is officially an arrow-timer now.

we have absolutel y no idea how fast he was going to shoot the arrows ramsey looked slow doing it because when you are surrouned by death you arent going to fight well he didnt want to kill jon snow probably wanted to hit him in the shoulder and make him look weak .. if he killed jon snow they wouldve killed ramsey .. snow couldve snapped his neck couldve choked him gouged his eyes out but he just wanted to beat him down

if ramsey killed jon snow then tormund wouldve fought ramsey in a duo and beat him because jon snow is not the fighter tormund is

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator
  • Oberyn would survive, but I don't know if he'd match Jon's tally, wouldn't be surprised though.
  • Bronn would probably be the most comparable to Jon in this situation.
  • Tanner probably dies.
  • Battle tanks like the Mountain, the Hound and Brienne probably surpass Jon's tally (in that order).
  • Dayne would be cutting fools left and right as easily as he did Howland, who is probably still quite a bit above the average soldier.
  • Drogo would smoke this as well, random Dothraki were jumping behind enemy lines and cutting down four guys before they went down and Drogo made an absolute mockery of Mago without even drawing his weapon.
del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arthur is GOAT, it is known

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_fallen_lord said:
@the_red_viper said:

we have absolutel y no idea how fast he was going to shoot the arrows ramsey looked slow doing it because when you are surrouned by death you arent going to fight well he didnt want to kill jon snow probably wanted to hit him in the shoulder and make him look weak .. if he killed jon snow they wouldve killed ramsey .. snow couldve snapped his neck couldve choked him gouged his eyes out but he just wanted to beat him down

if ramsey killed jon snow then tormund wouldve fought ramsey in a duo and beat him because jon snow is not the fighter tormund is

Well it really has nothing to do with the fact that Jon raised his shield after the arrows were released.

By the way, @the_fallen_lord, just for reference Jaime is an arrow timer too (in the books).

Six-Deuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xtreme1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 the_red_viper  Moderator

@xtreme1 said:

@the_red_viper: when did Jaime arrow time in the books?

"They were riding past a trampled wheatfield and a low stone wall when Jaime heard a soft thrum from behind, as if a dozen birds had taken flight at once. "Down!" he shouted, throwing himself against the neck of his horse. The gelding screamed and reared as an arrow took him in the rump."

A Storm of Swords
ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Oberyn would survive, but I don't know if he'd match Jon's tally, wouldn't be surprised though.
  • Tanner probably dies.
  • Battle tanks like the Mountain, the Hound and Brienne probably surpass Jon's tally (in that order).
  • Dayne would be cutting fools left and right as easily as he did Howland, who is probably still quite a bit above the average soldier.
  • Drogo would smoke this as well, random Dothraki were jumping behind enemy lines and cutting down four guys before they went down and Drogo made an absolute mockery of Mago without even drawing his weapon.

The random Dothraki were also, y'know, behind the line, where peoples backs are. A lot easier to hit someone when their back is turned.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c0eef934dfe
deactivated-59c0eef934dfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@six-deuce: excluding giants, dragons, and anything of the sort, of course.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

@paragonnate said:
@rogueshadow said:
  • Tanner probably dies.

The random Dothraki were also, y'know, behind the line, where peoples backs are. A lot easier to hit someone when their back is turned.

Except only one guy had his back turned; they actually had their backs to one another and by the time the Dothraki killed him, the Lannister soldier had already turned to face him as well:

No Caption Provided

The Dothraki was simply far faster and more skilled.

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@rogueshadow: I think it's important to remember that there was a dragon there and the Dothraki had the advantage of an ambush, I doubt the average Dothraki is going to be able to comfortably take on 4 Lannister soldiers.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

@keenko said:

@rogueshadow: I think it's important to remember that there was a dragon there and the Dothraki had the advantage of an ambush, I doubt the average Dothraki is going to be able to comfortably take on 4 Lannister soldiers.

Dothraki are trained from the time they can walk/ride, they live, breath and die by their arakhs/horses/bows, battles like this are what they crave. Lannister soldiers are given a sword and shield, some training and are sent off to fight. It's true on the larger scale that they were ambushed and the dragons, but that doesn't negate that guy's feat, or the skill of their archers; the Dothraki were clearly supposed to be extremely skilled warriors. Dothraki are and should be far more skilled than a standard Westerosi soldier.

xtreme1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think any of them can do it except maybe Karl. He possibly could but with our limited knowledge I'll say no. The OP says standard gear and I'm assuming they have pre-knowledge and are prepped for a pitched battle of two armies the same way Jon was prepped. For example, I don't think Oberyn's standard gear for a pitched battle would be the same gear and weapons he used in his duel with Gregor.

Six-Deuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xtreme1:

@xtreme1 said:

I think any of them can do it except maybe Karl. He possibly could but with our limited knowledge I'll say no. The OP says standard gear and I'm assuming they have pre-knowledge and are prepped for a pitched battle of two armies the same way Jon was prepped. For example, I don't think Oberyn's standard gear for a pitched battle would be the same gear and weapons he used in his duel with Gregor.

if this is the set of circumstances, I agree with your assessment completely.

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@rogueshadow: I agree that the standard Dothraki is more skilled than your average run of the mill Lannister soldier, but skill=/=auto-win. Lannister soldiers are way better equipped for actual warfare.