Valpoorion vs The Star Wars Universe (Round 2)

• 51 results
KeenCraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In this series, the Eternal Emperor Valpoorion faces off against an impressive list of powerful individuals spanning across the Star Wars eras. (Some rounds may be themed)

Round 2: The Clone War

No Caption Provided

In this round

Valpoorion

Faces off against

Luuke Skywalker, Joruus C'baoth, and Gaalen Mareek (Starkiller "Clone" TFUII)

A clone themed event

No Caption Provided

OCW Mace Windu's Chin

Addition: Since Mace Windu forgot to shave, the chin is actually a large forest. Tree sized hair follicle TK is allowed.

Starting distance is 45 meters on opposite sides of the chin. No BFR off the chin

Regular equipment

No Essence Transfers

Avatar image for deactivated-6098713be0993
deactivated-6098713be0993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, he wins again. His TP is probably more impressive than Joruus, Luuke isn't really on his level and Galen isn't strong enough to beat him by himself.

KeenCraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KeenCraft

@breakofdawn: I still think people here are hideously underestimating a trio compared to single combat or even a duo, but I don't necessarily disagree with any outcomes so far.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keencraft: True. However, I have Valkorian only a step or two down from ROTS Sidious/Yoda/ROTS Mace level, if that. I don't think anyone here is powerful enough to actually beat him, though someone like Galen could probably give him a decent fight.

KeenCraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakofdawn: that's exactly where I have him. And it's a baby step

Avatar image for guesswhosback_1
GuessWhosBack_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The team could win this, tbh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keencraft: I know people who will disagree with this, but I don't think even clone Galen is on the ROTS trio's level or as close to it as Valk is. He's definitely powerful, but I'd say he's closer to ROTJ Vader level than he is to the PT trio. Since he's the MVP for team 2, I doubt they can pull a win (though they'll make Valk work for it).

KeenCraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakofdawn: I don't have Galen anywhere close to the ROTS duo tbh. We share an extremely similar perspective. (Till I omitted "trio" of course lol)

I have Galen I/II much closer to Vader than any of them. Yoda = Sidious >= Valpoorion >>> Galen >> Vader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keencraft: Agreed with all of that except the "duo" bit (obviously lol). I have Mace, Yoda and Sidious all around the same level with Yoda and Sidious having a slight advantage. Other than that, agreed with the rest.

Dawn_of_Ages

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dawn_of_Ages

@breakofdawn said:

I don't think even clone Galen is on the ROTS trio's level

Why?

He did pretty well against Sidious' lightning, even before experiencing Oneness. Said version of Sheev being significantly more powerful than his ROTS incarnation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dawn_of_ages: I'm not certain how much Sheev grew in between ROTS and TFU, for one. I don't remember any quotes expressively saying he was noticeably more powerful.

As for that feat, my interpretation of it was that even as he forced himself forwards it was more of a pain tolerance feat than a power one. I'm comparing it to Yoda virtually stalemating Sidious' lightning and an exhausted and off-guard Mace being able to hold his own against an enraged Sheev's lightning for a noticeable space of time.

KeenCraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KeenCraft

@breakofdawn said:

@dawn_of_ages: I'm not certain how much Sheev grew in between ROTS and TFU, for one. I don't remember any quotes expressively saying he was noticeably more powerful.

As for that feat, my interpretation of it was that even as he forced himself forwards it was more of a pain tolerance feat than a power one. I'm comparing it to Yoda virtually stalemating Sidious' lightning and an exhausted and off-guard Mace being able to hold his own against an enraged Sheev's lightning for a noticeable space of time.

Yeah Dawn I have to agree with him. Yoda stalemating him and an amped Windu barely struggling to survive against a joking Sheev are a good margin superior

No Caption Provided

Dawn_of_Ages

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakofdawn: I've discussed this with a few people just a few days ago in another thread. Just going to paste my response from there. Though I'm pretty sure the case for this has been around for some time. Its actually in Azronger's Sheev Super RT.

As for the Emperor's power growth, the Dark Side Sourcebook and The Ultimate Visual Guide states how the Emperor concentrated on studying the Dark Side to become more powerful that after the events of Return of the Jedi. This results in his control of the Dark Side being "greater than ever" and his Force skills having developed "significantly". It also shows a nice comparison between the Emperor's powers during Return of the Jedi and as of Dark Empire.

During Return of the Jedi, Luke expresses the thought of actually killing the Emperor and even attempts to do so.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

This is completely different from their encounter during Dark Empire.

Its worth noting that Luke himself has become "immensely more powerful" and "grown very strong" in the Force since the events of Return of the Jedi. Yet whereas Luke once thought about murdering the Emperor and even attempting to strike him down, now any similar thoughts are completely absent. Now, the Emperor's power is so overwhelming that Luke doesn't even consider the possibility of beating him and that the "only way" to defeat Palpatine was to fake loyalty and to sabotage his plans from the inside. And despite having grown significantly more powerful himself, Luke judges the power disparity between him and the Emperor to be larger during the events of Dark Empire than it was in Return of the Jedi.

No Caption Provided

Studying the Dark Side to become stronger after the Return of the Jedi isn't anything different to what the Emperor had done before. He had begun draining Byss even as early as 19BBY and multiple sources state how the Emperor gathered knowledge and studied the Force with great devotion. How he gathered all the knowledge of the Dark that he could, gathered "the greatest works of knowledge from over a million worlds", or how he studied the Force "in all its guises" etc.

Not to mention the 120th issue of The Official Star Wars Fact File also states that after the Emperor's death during Return of the Jedi, it took him years to regain his power. Meaning he had even less time to develop his powers as he had to spend time to climb back to his base power level first.

No Caption Provided

The Emperor studying the Dark Side to become more powerful after the events of Return of the Jedi is nothing out of the ordinary and is pretty much what he did after after Revenge of the Sith and prior to his death at Endor. Clearly, if the Emperor's powers had grown to such a degree in just a few years, simple logic dictates he would've had an even larger power growth in a matter of decades.

Dawn_of_Ages

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakofdawn said:

Yeah Dawn I have to agree with him. Yoda stalemating him and an amped Windu barely struggling to survive against a joking Sheev are a good margin superior

No Caption Provided

which "Dawn" are you referring to? ?

KeenCraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KeenCraft

@dawn_of_ages said:
@keencraft said:
@breakofdawn said:

No Caption Provided

which "Dawn" are you referring to? ?

Ah yes, I'm accustomed to talking to the "you" Dawn, and forgot there were-a "two" Dawn. I'm referring to the one that isn't the "broken" Dawn

❤ you @Break with all my heart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dawn_of_ages: My point was that I'm not sure how powerful he grew after ROTS and by the time of TFU. I know by the time of DE he's much more powerful than his ROTJ self, but for ROTS and TFU I'm not so sure.

@keencraft I don't buy into the amped argument to the extent a lot of people do. I also said that Mace was both exhausted and caught off-guard during the exchange, so he's starting off from a massively disadvantaged position and still manages to block an enraged Sidious' lightning:

Palpatine lifted his head. His eyes smoked with hate. "Fool," he said. He lifted his arms, his robes of office spreading wide into raptor's wings, his hands hooking into talons.

"Fool!" His voice was a shout of thunder. "Do you think the fear you feel is mine?"

Lightning blasted the clouds above, and lightning blasted from Palpatine's hands, and Mace didn't have time to comprehend what Palpatine was talking about; he had time only to slip back into Vaapad and angle his blade to catch the forking arcs of pure, dazzling hatred that clawed toward him. Because Vaapad is more than a fighting style. It is a state of mind: a channel for darkness. Power passed into him and out again without touching him. And the circuit completed itself: the lightning reflected back to its source. Palpatine staggered, snarling, but the blistering energy that loured from his hands only intensified. He fed the power with his pain.

"Anakin!" Mace called. His voice sounded distant, blurred, as if it came from the bottom of a well. "Anakin, help me! This is your chance!"

He felt Anakin's leap from the office floor to the ledge, felt his approach behind—

And Palpatine was not afraid. Mace could feel it: he wasn't worried at all.

"Destroy this traitor," the Chancellor said, his voice raised aver the howl of writhing energy that joined his hands to Mace's blade. "This was never an arrest. It's an assassination!"

That was when Mace finally understood. He had it. The key to final victory. Palpatine's shatterpoint. The absolute shatterpoint of the Sith. The shatterpoint of the dark side itself. Mace thought, blankly astonished, Palpatine trusts Anakin Skywalker...

Now Anakin was at Mace's shoulder. Palpatine still made no move to defend himself from Skywalker; instead he ramped up the lightning bursting from his hands, bending the fountain of Mace's blade back toward the Korun Master's face.

Palpatine's eyes glowed with power, casting a yellow glare that burned back the rain from around them. "He is a traitor, Anakin. Destroy him."

"You're the chosen one, Anakin," Mace said, his voice going thin with strain. This was beyond Vaapad; he had no strength left to fight against his own blade. "Take him. It's your destiny."

The way I've underlined these ones is probably pretty confusing, so I'll pretty much sum up what they suggest:

1. Sidious was pretty pissed off at Mace for his arrogance and mockery. That's what pushed him to attack Mace with lightning in the first place, and the imagery behind it backs up the idea that he was attempting to overwhelm the Jedi.
  2. Mace is (understandably) caught off guard by the lightning. He didn't expect Sidious to be able to pull off something like that.
  3. Even as Mace manages to deflect the lightning, Sheev continues to ramp up the power of the lightning by the second as the pain of Mace's loop only empowers him.
  4. Mace was already exhausted by this point and yet still manages to hold off massive blasts of lightning from Sheev.

While there are credible reasons to believe Mace was amped, I believe it was @lordofthelight who posted his own counter-argument to that (apologies if you didn't).

Ah yes, I'm accustomed to talking to the "you" Dawn, and forgot there were-a "two" Dawn. I'm referring to the one that isn't the "broken" Dawn

❤ you Break

No Caption Provided

KeenCraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KeenCraft

@breakofdawn said:

The way I've underlined these ones is probably pretty confusing, so I'll pretty much sum up what they suggest:

I think your underlines were pretty clear; I understood the general premise, lol.

1. Sidious was pretty pissed off at Mace for his arrogance and mockery. That's what pushed him to attack Mace with lightning in the first place, and the imagery behind it backs up the idea that he was attempting to overwhelm the Jedi.

I think that's fair to say, but Sith will naturally glisten with hatred, and this is coming from Windu's perspective, of course. He is seeing what the veil wants him to see. Would be a pretty lousy show if he lethargically (word? ? who cares I made it a word) threw some bolts at him; though not saying he 'could' do something so simple to a Windu leveler, but you understand my view. Sidious has been masquerading and manipulating the Order for decades. I'm sure its not difficult to put on a show for Windu.

1. Mace is (understandably) caught off guard by the lightning. He didn't expect Sidious to be able to pull off something like that.

Caught offguard? Eh. He certainly had no time to process Sidious's lingo, but that takes some extra brainpower to decipher, not like a boxer naturally evading what he has been training to evade. And the passage says he was certainly afforded enough time to habitually react to the bolts coming at him and sink into Vaapad.

I don't buy a Jedi Master that has studied the archives for decades and read the same in-universe books that we've read + more, recanting that Sith wouldn't/didn't conjure lightning. ?

• Dooku can conjure it. Sidious is the Dark Lord. I'm sure the Council has discussed it. Yoda even made note that it was a telling sign of his fall. He would certainly recount that event, as would Anakin-wallfaceplant-Skywalker.
  • Plo Koon and Adi Gallia are capable of conjuring it themselves.
  • The Jedi have been preparing for the last war with the Sith. Obi-Wan blocks it with ineffable ease, as does Anakin.
  1. Even as Mace manages to deflect the lightning, Sheev continues to ramp up the power of the lightning by the second as the pain of Mace's loop only empowers him.

I mean, this is also a detriment to your point though. It establishes that there was a minimum potency being casted at Windu, and that he progressively scaled it in increments from there.

He wasn't nearly going all out, like we see with Yoda. Then he cuts power.

1. Mace was already exhausted by this point and yet still manages to hold off massive blasts of lightning from Sheev.

Exhaustion is certainly no excuse. If Mace is already exhausted, rhat simply means Sidious is the one that exhausted his energies to begin with, and still held a considerable reservoir of power over Mace. The text never indicates in the slightest that Sidious was exhausted by the efforts that I remember (correct me if necessary as I haven't read the fight in a while). Unlike Yoda; both of whom were left exhausted.

Sidious's lightning is not going to be infinite. If Mace's barrier and strength is exhausted far before Sidious's power supply, that's a genuine L of outclassmentagery

Sidious >>>> Mace on that point.

While there are credible reasons to believe Mace was amped, I believe it was @lordofthelight who posted his own counter-argument to that (apologies if you didn't).

Not sure if it was him, but I think I read one, regardless imo the text was pretty explicit. These arguments will probably remain unending for either perspective though.

@keencraft I don't buy into the amped argument to the extent a lot of people do.

But I do

No Caption Provided

to block an enraged Sidious' lightning

From Mace's perspective ?

❤ you Break

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Still ❤

Avatar image for in-sidiousvader
In-sidiousvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joruus = Vader rival. Vader > Valk

xolthol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valkorion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cae4704c27f5
deactivated-5cae4704c27f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@keencraft: @breakofdawn: The Godlander and Vaylin are probably good enough to give Sidious or Yoda good fights solo, put them together and they win and then give them Arcann (A Tenebrous leveller) and the gap only widens. Yet Valk simultaneously overwhelmed all 3 of them telekinetically, much as I dislike him he's easily DE Sidious tier.

OT-Valk, team are good but still not as good as the trio he faced in KOTET who got overwhelmed, he should win.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valkorion.

This is an inferior trio to the team that Valk ragdolled in KOTET.

Avatar image for amethystgravity
AmethystGravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does Valkorion's feat in the Outlander's mind translate to his power in a non-mental battle scenario? I've seen people bringing up him "ragdolling" Vaylin and Arcann, but Vaylin was just a spirit at the time, who the Outlander somehow soloed (despite her looking superior in her fight with the Outlander, Senya, and Arcann).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amethystgravity: Valk literally commissioned it to be a test so it doesn't make any sense for it to not operate the same as the normal world. IIRC Vaylin while unchained also lost to The Outlander. Furthermore due to the fight taking place in the mind they're all technically spirits so that argument doesn't work either.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amethystgravity: Valk literally commissioned it to be a test so it doesn't make any sense for it to not operate the same as the normal world. IIRC Vaylin while unchained also lost to The Outlander. Furthermore due to the fight taking place in the mind they're all technically spirits so that argument doesn't work either.

Right on most of this stuff however Vaylin didn't lose to The Outlander. He did however show superiority by tanking her most powerful blast.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keencraft:I really hate Mace vs Sidious debates as they're so repetitive and boring, so I'm only going to reply once. Sorry but I don't want to start rehashing every other debater's points.

I think your underlines were pretty clear; I understood the general premise, lol.

Oh good. I have a problem here with not making my points clear.

I think that's fair to say, but Sith will naturally glisten with hatred, and this is coming from Windu's perspective, of course. He is seeing what the veil wants him to see. Would be a pretty lousy show if he lethargically (word? ? who cares I made it a word)threw some bolts at him; though not saying he 'could' do something so simple to a Windu leveler, but you understand my view. Sidious has been masquerading and manipulating the Order for decades. I'm sure its not difficult to put on a show for Windu.

That's totally fair, but I'm also considering that Sidious had already tried to kill Mace multiple times during the duel:

Mace disengaged from the shadow's blade and leapt for the window; he slashed away the transparisteel with a single flourish. His instant's distraction cost him: a dark surge of the Force nearly blew him right out of the gap he had just cut. Only a desperate Force-push of his own altered his path enough that he slammed into a stanchion instead of plunging half a kilometer from the ledge outside. He bounced off and the Force cleared his head and once again he gave himself to Vaapad.

I should have brought this up in my initial post but a distracted, caught off-guard and out of Vaapad Mace managed to react with another speed and power to somewhat counteract Sheev's blast.

Now I bring this up for two reasons: one, to show that Mace was able to react to that kind of blast with at least comparable power (it would have to be to alter the force of the push), and two, to show that Sheev was almost certainly trying to kill Mace at points during the duel. If Sheev was playing Mace the entire time, it seems either to be stupidity or extremely poor planning that he tries to knock an off-guard opponent who's allegedly far inferior to him out of a window while he's in the perfect position to do so on some off chance that Mace would somehow survive it. I don't know about you, but to me that suggests that he's either one of the worst strategist in the Star Wars universe, or that he considers Mace to at least be capable of contending with him in the Force (again, supported by Lucas).

Caught offguard? Eh. He certainly had no time to process Sidious's lingo, but that takes some extra brainpower to decipher, not like a boxer naturally evading what he has been training to evade. And the passage says he was certainly afforded enough time to habitually react to the bolts coming at him and sink into Vaapad.

I don't buy a Jedi Master that has studied the archives for decades and read the same in-universe books that we've read + more, recanting that Sith wouldn't/didn't conjure lightning. ?

• Dooku can conjure it. Sidious is the Dark Lord. I'm sure the Council has discussed it. Yoda even made note that it was a telling sign of his fall. He would certainly recount that event, as would Anakin-wallfaceplant-Skywalker.
  • Plo Koon and Adi Gallia are capable of conjuring it themselves.
  • The Jedi have been preparing for the last war with the Sith. Obi-Wan blocks it with ineffable ease, as does Anakin.

I should have been more specific: he didn't expect a foe he believed to have been defeated to respond with such power and ferocity. Re-entering Vaapad isn't really a sign that he had loads of time since it's more of a mindset than anything else. For a Jedi master as disciplined and experienced as Mace, that should only take a split second at most. That doesn't detract from the fact that he was still caught off-guard.

I mean, this is also a detriment to your point though. It establishes that there was a minimum potency being casted at Windu, and that he progressively scaled it in increments from there.

I disagree. It suggests that he was just steadily building up the power of the lightning as he experienced more pain. As all Star Wars fans know, Sith pretty much feed on pain and fear, so I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if his lightning became more powerful in response to this.

He wasn't nearly going all out, like we see with Yoda. Then he cuts power.

The thing is, we really don't know for certain. IIRC, there's no metaphor or simile or description to suggest that exactly what Yoda experienced was more powerful than what Mace did. Initially? Sure. But once the blade began to be turned back upon an (exhausted) Mace, I'm struggling to see any real disparity between this and what Yoda faced. Again, I don't believe Windu is their literal equal, but I definitely believe he's their near-equal.

Exhaustion is certainly no excuse. If Mace is already exhausted, rhat simply means Sidious is the one that exhausted his energies to begin with, and still held a considerable reservoir of power over Mace.

I don't disagree with the rest of the quote above. I don't think anyone has claimed in a Mace vs Sidious debate that Mace is noticeably superior to Sheev in sabers, only that he's a bit more skilful. Not to mention that as far as the narrative suggests the mindset Mace enters was exhausting by itself.

Also, Sheev was actually exhausted as far as Mace could tell:

Now the shadow was only Palpatine: old and shrunken, thinning hair bleached white by time and care, face lined with exhaustion.

"For all your power, you are no Jedi. All you are, my lord," Mace said evenly, staring past his blade, "is under arrest."

"Do you see, Anakin? Do you?" Palpatine's voice once again had the broken cadence of a frightened old man's. "Didn't I warn you of the Jedi and their treason?"

The difference between Mace and Sidious is that while Mace flirts with the dark side he doesn't draw upon negative emotions in the way someone like Sheev would. He can't just draw upon the fear, anger and pain of those around him to power himself back up (sorry for the crappy phrasing, couldn't think of a better way to say it).

The text never indicates in the slightest that Sidious was exhausted by the efforts that I remember (correct me if necessary as I haven't read the fight in a while). Unlike Yoda; both of whom were left exhausted.

Only the bit I've quoted above, but then again the novel rushes through that scene as quickly as it can. It pretty much ends with Sheev going the Robot Chicken route of checking out his face. While there's no suggestion that he's outright exhausted, I hate to do this but I point to the film, where following Mace's fall Sheev just collapses backwards before struggling to his feet.

Plus, unless we buy into the idea that Sheev is > or >> Mace in sabers, I highly doubt that a high intensity duel wouldn't have exhausted him, and thus he was releasing those blasts when he was enraged.

Sidious's lightning is not going to be infinite. If Mace's barrier and strength is exhausted far before Sidious's power supply, that's a genuine L of outclassmentagery

Again, we have to consider that Mace was exhausted and Sidious could draw upon powers Mace can't really touch.

Not sure if it was him, but I think I read one, regardless imo the text was pretty explicit. These arguments will probably remain unending for either perspective though.

But I do

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

From Mace's perspective ?

I mean, it's not as if Sidious' is going to be much more reliable, and we can forget Anakin's.

❤ you Break

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Still ❤

No Caption Provided

^ Pretty sure this sums up Comicvine's reactions to any Mace vs Sidious debates as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacensolo77 said:

Right on most of this stuff however Vaylin didn't lose to The Outlander. He did however show superiority by tanking her most powerful blast.

@jacensolo77 ^ Pretty much this. I have Valkorian around ROTS Sidious/Yoda/Mace level (as I've already said) and the Outlander and unchained Vaylin in some undefined area around there. If I were to stretch it, I'd have Valk either firmly on their level with the other two being just under Mace, or Valk being above them and the other two on Mace's level. My opinion on Valkorian changes nearly everytime he's brought up so I don't have a clear cut power level for him.

KeenCraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakofdawn: I'll try responding in a bit; I'm about to make the third Valpoorion round. I'm afraid to use my next matchup so soon ... it seems like a waste to go all-out so quickly, but I am in anticipation for the results

Discipulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless Valkorion immediately takes out Joruus before Starkiller and Luuke close the distance, I think the team could pull it off. They'd need flawless synergy to do so, of course.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ArkhamAsylum3

@breakofdawn:

Managing to make Sidious desparate and causing him howl with pain is now a pain tolerance feat?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkhamasylum3: Another staggering, painful step and the Emperor was within the apprentice's reach. With shaking fingers, he took the old man's bony shoulders in his hands and gripped them tight. The Sith lightning spread to engulf the two of them, fueled by both their desperations. The Emperor tipped back his head and howled in lascivious pain.Darkness threatened to envelop the apprentice's mind, but he clutched to consciousness with feverish will. He had to see this through. He had to.

...Yeah, pretty much.

@keencraft Take as long as you need. I'll read it but I probably won't reply. Some matches (Mace vs Sidious, Odin vs Galactus, GM Luke vs anyone, current Thor vs anyone, etc) just make me want to bash my head against a wall.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakofdawn: How does hurting Sidious have anything to do with pain tolerance? Also how does blocking his Lightning count as pain tolerance? He still had to put up a defence that was strong enough for him to not get incinerated and absorb the vast majority of Sidious's lightning which shows a general degree of parity and certainly isn't just a pain tolerance feat.

It's better than Windu's feat at any rate.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkhamasylum3: How does hurting Sidious have anything to do with pain tolerance?

It was Sidious' lightning that was hurting him, hence the "Sith lightning" bit. Galen did sod all except act as a conductor (which is exactly how electricity travels anyway, since humans are 60% water).

Also how does blocking his Lightning count as pain tolerance?

In between the "painful steps", "shaking fingers" and "darkness (that) threatened to take the Apprentice's mind"? Why not at all.

He still had to put up a defence that was strong enough for him to not get incinerated and absorb the vast majority of Sidious's lightning which shows a general degree of parity and certainly isn't just a pain tolerance feat.

It's better than Windu's feat at any rate.

Except Mace actually managed to hold off the lightning with none of it hitting him for an extended amount of time while exhausted and with only a split second's warning. The lightning was literally killing Galen before he went into Oneness.

I will also finish by quoting an earlier part where he jumps in the way of the lightning:

Without hesitation, he stepped between Kota and the Emperor, taking the full brunt of the Sith lightning into his own body.

The pain was incredible, searing every nerve back to its individual cells, skewering each of them on white-hot needles. He had never before felt anything like this. He wanted to recoil from the source, to curl into a ball and let unconsciousness take the pain away, but somehow he stayed standing, seeing the world through a crackling blue light, and even took a step toward the Emperor.

"Go!" he hissed at Kota. "Hurry!"

Literally a pain tolerance feat. It's impressive that he held on that long, but there's literally nothing to suggest someone like Mace couldn't pull off the exact same feat, especially since the creator of this universe has openly said Mace can compete with Sidious, and there's little to nothing to suggest Sidious' power grew considerably between ROTS and TFU (feel free to correct me on this).

I do find it curious how people constantly point out the "fuelled by their desperation" line to compare Galen to the most powerful Force users in Star Wars, but when Sidious "fuelled the lightning with his pain", he's still playing around with Mace and is nowhere close to using the full potency of his lightning.

Dawn_of_Ages

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakofdawn:My point was that I'm not sure how powerful he grew after ROTS and by the time of TFU. I know by the time of DE he's much more powerful than his ROTJ self, but for ROTS and TFU I'm not so sure.

My point with the previous post was that his growth between ROTS to TFU is larger than the one between ROTJ and DE.

Studying the Dark Side to become stronger after Return of the Jedi isn't anything different to what the Emperor had done before. He had begun draining Byss even as early as 19BBY and multiple sources state how the Emperor gathered knowledge and studied the Force with great devotion. How he gathered all the knowledge of the Dark that he could, gathered "the greatest works of knowledge from over a million worlds", or how he studied the Force "in all its guises" etc.

Not to mention the 120th issue of The Official Star Wars Fact File also states that after the Emperor's death during Return of the Jedi, it took him years to regain his power. Meaning he had even less time to develop his powers as he had to spend time to climb back to his base power level first.

No Caption Provided

The Emperor studying the Dark Side to become more powerful after the events of Return of the Jedi is nothing out of the ordinary and is pretty much what he did after after Revenge of the Sith and prior to his death at Endor. Clearly, if the Emperor's powers had grown to such a degree in just a few years, simple logic dictates he would've had an even larger power growth in a matter of decades.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakofdawn:

It was Sidious' lightning that was hurting him, hence the "Sith lightning" bit. Galen did sod all except act as a conductor (which is exactly how electricity travels anyway, since humans are 60% water).

Yeah sure but this doesn't negate Marek having to have a barrier strong enough to defend against Sidious's lightning and not be incinerated.

In between the "painful steps", "shaking fingers" and "darkness (that) threatened to take the Apprentice's mind"? Why not at all.

Poorly worded. This was meant to point out that it can't purely be a pain tolerance feat given he still had to create a barrier strong enough to block Sidious's lightning in the firstplace which I clarified in the next sentence.

Except Mace actually managed to hold off the lightning with none of it hitting him for an extended amount of time while exhausted and with only a split second's warning. The lightning was literally killing Galen before he went into Oneness.

>Galen wasn't stopping the lightning from hitting him:

No Caption Provided

Mace and Galen did the exact same thing lmao only Mace used his saber because he actually had one whereas Marek didn't. Both massively strained from doing so however. I could easily argue Windu's feat was just pain tolerance but that would be blatant ignorance.

Literally a pain tolerance feat. It's impressive that he held on that long, but there's literally nothing to suggest someone like Mace couldn't pull off the exact same feat, especially since the creator of this universe has openly said Mace can compete with Sidious, and there's little to nothing to suggest Sidious' power grew considerably between ROTS and TFU (feel free to correct me on this).

Mace had his saber though whereas Galen didn't. As for Sidious's power growth:

@breakofdawn:My point was that I'm not sure how powerful he grew after ROTS and by the time of TFU. I know by the time of DE he's much more powerful than his ROTJ self, but for ROTS and TFU I'm not so sure.

My point with the previous post was that his growth between ROTS to TFU is larger than the one between ROTJ and DE.

@dawn_of_ages said:

Studying the Dark Side to become stronger after Return of the Jedi isn't anything different to what the Emperor had done before. He had begun draining Byss even as early as 19BBY and multiple sources state how the Emperor gathered knowledge and studied the Force with great devotion. How he gathered all the knowledge of the Dark that he could, gathered "the greatest works of knowledge from over a million worlds", or how he studied the Force "in all its guises" etc.

No Caption Provided

I do find it curious how people constantly point out the "fuelled by their desperation" line to compare Galen to the most powerful Force users in Star Wars, but when Sidious "fuelled the lightning with his pain", he's still playing around with Mace and is nowhere close to using the full potency of his lightning.

Yeah that's just people being retarded.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkhamasylum3:

Yeah sure but this doesn't negate Marek having to have a barrier strong enough to defend against Sidious's lightning and not be incinerated.

It wasn't stopping it though. Galen's strongest defences weren't stopping him from being quickly overcome by Sidious' lightning.

Poorly worded. This was meant to point out that it can't purely be a pain tolerance feat given he still had to create a barrier strong enough to block Sidious's lightning in the firstplace which I clarified in the next sentence.

No, it's not just a pain tolerance feat, and being able to hold off Sidious' lightning for even a few moments is certainly impressive. However, it's blatant throughout the exchange that Galen is barely conscious and is only forcing himself on through sheer force of will. The fact that he was nearly unconscious/dead after about 10-20 seconds should attest to that.

>Galen wasn't stopping the lightning from hitting him:

No Caption Provided

Mace and Galen did the exact same thing lmao only Mace used his saber because he actually had one whereas Marek didn't.

There's very little difference. Mace's superconducting loop was essentially just another variation of tutaminis/Force deflection.

Both massively strained from doing so however. I could easily argue Windu's feat was just pain tolerance but that would be blatant ignorance.

You could, but it would be wrong. We've seen lightning overwhelm a lightsaber defence in the past, yet Mace was able to completely block the lightning and hold it off despite being tired and only a split second to prepare himself. That's a power feat, not a pain tolerance. It would be a pain tolerance feat if like Galen Mace was being hit by arcs of the lightning as he blocked it, but that didn't happen.

Mace had his saber though whereas Galen didn't.

Again, very little difference. A lightsaber may be easier to block with, but it can also be overwhelmed. Mace's superconducting loop shared very similar properties to both tutaminis and Force deflection.

@dawn_of_ages I'm not going to quote the entire post (thanks for the scans by the way) as I don't want to clog up the thread with a more off-topic debate. I do think that Sidious grew in between ROTS and TFU since it's pretty logical, but I don't think that the growth was as considerable as, say, ANH to ROTJ. He might have become a lot more knowledgeable, but I don't think this automatically translates into him becoming a lot more powerful as well.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakofdawn:

It wasn't stopping it though. Galen's strongest defences weren't stopping him from being quickly overcome by Sidious' lightning.

No, it's not just a pain tolerance feat, and being able to hold off Sidious' lightning for even a few moments is certainly impressive. However, it's blatant throughout the exchange that Galen is barely conscious and is only forcing himself on through sheer force of will. The fact that he was nearly unconscious/dead after about 10-20 seconds should attest to that.

The fact is though Sheev couldn't overwhelm Galen. Whether or not Galen was hard pressed by Sheev is irrelevant as both Mace and Yoda were also being overwhelmed by Sheev's lightning yet still held on with Yoda actually turning the tables towards the end of their engagement and legitimately pressing Sheev.

No Caption Provided

"It came when Yoda found himself alone against the dark.

In that lightning-speared tornado of feet and fists and blades and bashing machines, his vision finally pierced the darkness that had clouded the Force.

Finally, he saw the truth.

This truth: that he, the avatar of light, Supreme Master of the Jedi Order, the fiercest, most implacable, most devastatingly powerful foe the darkness had ever known...

just-

didn't-

have it.

He'd never had it. He had lost before he started.

He had lost before he was born.

The Sith had changed. The Sith had grown, had adapted, had invested a thousand years' intensive study into every aspect of not only the Force but Jedi lore itself, in preparation for exactly this day. The Sith had remade themselves.

They had become new.

While the Jedi-

The Jedi had spent that same millenium training to refight the last war.

The new Sith could not be destroyed with a lightsaber; they could not be burned away by any torch of the Force. The brighter his light, the darker their shadow. How could one with a war against the dark, when war itself had become the dark's own weapon?

He knew, at that instant, that this insight held the hope of the galaxy. But if he fell here, that hope would die with him. Hmmm, Yoda thought. A problem this is..."

Credit: Revenge of the Sith Novelization

How much damage was done to him is totallly irrelevant and it doesn't indicate any disparity between Galen and Sheev given Yoda basically went through the exact same ordeal in ROTS yet still proved equal to Palpatine (note that I'm not suggesting Galen and Sheev are equals but rather that Sheev's lightning pressing him is totally irrelevant given he still blocked it, made Sheev desparate and held onto him for a prolonged period of time causing him to howl with pain).

There's very little difference. Mace's superconducting loop was essentially just another variation of tutaminis/Force deflection.

Again, very little difference. A lightsaber may be easier to block with, but it can also be overwhelmed. Mace's superconducting loop shared very similar properties to both tutaminis and Force deflection.

His saber did make it considerably easier though. The fact that a lightsaber can be overwhelmed doesn't prove anything. Take for example Kenobi vs Dooku in AOTC. Despite Kenobi being vastly inferior to Dooku he was able to block the lightning Dooku fired at him effotlessly no less because of his saber advantage. Arguing the saber doesn't make a tremendous difference is false.

You could, but it would be wrong.

Which I never argued against. I actually said it would be ignoance.

We've seen lightning overwhelm a lightsaber defence in the past, yet Mace was able to completely block the lightning and hold it off despite being tired and only a split second to prepare himself.

Sheev would be arguably just as tired given he also had to compete in a saber duel just prior and the battle between the two was basically a battle of equals meaning Sheev would have used an equal amount of reserves to Mace.

Reagrdless Galen aslo had a split second to prepare himself with him immediately having to jump in front of Kota and basically having no time to prepare himself.

Regardless how long they had to prepare is irrelevant. It's not like raising your lightsaber and slipping into Vapaad is particularly hard.

That's a power feat, not a pain tolerance. It would be a pain tolerance feat if like Galen Mace was being hit by arcs of the lightning as he blocked it, but that didn't happen.

Except the bolts weren't touching Galen he was just straining massively from blocking it which was also the case with Mace. Mace was literally crying out in pain saying he couldn't hold on any longer yet with Mace it's not a pain tolerance feat but with Galen it is.

Wut?

In conclusion:

Mace had a massive advantage over Galen what with his saber and dealing with a massively weaker version of Sheev yet they performed remarkably similair.

Galen>Mace.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkhamasylum3: The fact is though Sheev couldn't overwhelm Galen.

Except he was overwhelming him. It's not debatable; it's even emphasised in the novel:

The pain was incredible, searing every nerve back to its individual cells, skewering each of them on white-hot needles. He had never before felt anything like this. He wanted to recoil from the source, to curl into a ball and let unconsciousness take the pain away, but somehow he stayed standing, seeing the world through a crackling blue light, and even took a step toward the Emperor.

"Go!" he hissed at Kota. "Hurry!"

The general hesitated only for a moment. He, too, had seen a glimpse of the future, the apprentice remembered. He knew that it came down to a simple choice: him and the Rebels or the apprentice and darkness forever. Gathering up the Rebels, Kola ushered them toward the descending ship.

Another staggering, painful step and the Emperor was within the apprentice's reach. With shaking fingers, he took the old man's bony shoulders in his hands and gripped them tight. The Sith lightning spread to engulf the two of them, fueled by both their desperations. The Emperor tipped back his head and howled in lascivious pain. Darkness threatened to envelop the apprentice's mind, but he clutched to consciousness with feverish will. He had to see this through. He had to.

Whether or not Galen was hard pressed by Sheev is irrelevant as both Mace and Yoda were also being overwhelmed by Sheev's lightning

Of course it matters. Galen's best defences were failing to protect him from the brunt of Sidious' lightning, whereas Mace was holding off lightning from an enraged Sidious and Yoda was actually managing to match the lightning the whole time. Did he struggle? Sure, because he's essentially Sidious' equal. It's the same way that the Son and Daughter were clearly straining themselves to overwhelm the other in the same kind of Force battle.

yet still held on with Yoda actually turning the tables towards the end of their engagement and legitimately pressing Sheev.

Ok? No one argues that Yoda isn't Sheev's near-equal or equal in the Force. Not seeing the relevance unless you're portraying Galen as Yoda tier or approaching it.

How much damage was done to him is totally irrelevant

But it does. The point of the argument was that it was a pain tolerance feat more than anything. If Starkiller's best defences were being quickly overwhelmed by Sidious' lightning (between 10-30 seconds in all likelihood at best), it's not really better or equal to Yoda stalemating Sheev's lightning or an exhausted Mace who can factually compete with the Emperor holding off his lightning for a good deal of time.

and it doesn't indicate any disparity between Galen and Sheev given Yoda basically went through the exact same ordeal in ROTS yet still proved equal to Palpatine

Yoda was actually blocking the lightning though and none of it was connecting with him. The same goes for Mace.

(note that I'm not suggesting Galen and Sheev are equals

I'm glad.

but rather that Sheev's lightning pressing him is totally irrelevant given he still blocked it,

He didn't block it, he endured it. There's a distinctive difference between, for example, sticking your hand in a fire while wearing protective equipment and holding your bare hand in the heart of a flame even as it's set alight. Yoda and Mace were more of the former, Galen was the latter.

made Sheev desparate

He made Sheev desperate because he was being hit by his own lightning. The exact same thing happened with Mace:

And the circuit completed itself: the lightning reflected back to its source. Palpatine staggered, snarling, but the blistering energy that loured from his hands only intensified. He fed the power with his pain.

Mace performed the above while exhausted (I'll address the Palpatine's exhaustion argument shortly).

and held onto him for a prolonged period of time causing him to howl with pain).

Except he nearly blacked out after about 5 seconds of doing it and went on to kamikaze him mere seconds later.

His saber did make it considerably easier though.

He used it because it was to hand. Chances are he could have done it with his hands because of the nature of the loop and his own abilities in Force deflection. I agree that it made it easier, but the fact that Mace was exhausted and caught off-guard somewhat mitigates any advantage the lightsaber would have given him.

The fact that a lightsaber can be overwhelmed doesn't prove anything. Take for example Kenobi vs Dooku in AOTC. Despite Kenobi being vastly inferior to Dooku he was able to block the lightning Dooku fired at him effotlessly no less because of his saber advantage.

There's also the massive disparity between Dooku and Sidious' lightning to consider. Dooku might be very powerful but his lightning has never been overly impressive.

Arguing the saber doesn't make a tremendous difference is false.

It's largely mitigated by the factors I mentioned.

Sheev would be arguably just as tired given he also had to compete in a saber duel just prior and the battle between the two was basically a battle of equals meaning Sheev would have used an equal amount of reserves to Mace.

This would be a fair point if there wasn't evidence to suggest otherwise:

Palpatine lifted his head. His eyes smoked with hate. "Fool," he said. He lifted his arms, his robes of office spreading wide into raptor's wings, his hands hooking into talons.

"Fool!" His voice was a shout of thunder. "Do you think the fear you feel is mine?"

Lightning blasted the clouds above, and lightning blasted from Palpatine's hands, and Mace didn't have time to comprehend what Palpatine was talking about; he had time only to slip back into Vaapad and angle his blade to catch the forking arcs of pure, dazzling hatred that clawed toward him.

Regardless of how tiring the duel might have been on Sidious' part, he has the considerable advantage of being able to suddenly boost his power, even when exhausted. We see that happening here in particular. Even if Sheev was as exhausted as Mace, he was clearly enraged by Mace's comments about him being afraid and being defeated by his fear. If anything, Sidious entered a form of Force rage here, which would most likely help to reduce the effects of any exhaustion he experienced from the duel.

We also have to consider that such an amp would boost his currently exhausted powers considerably for a time. We've seen the exact thing happen under similar situations, such as Luke when he quickly overwhelmed Vader. While I don't think anyone would argue that Mace = Sidious, it's heavily implied that a suddenly rejuvenated and pissed off Sheev gave an exhausted Mace only a split-second to react to this lightning. If Sheev was exhausted, his rage and anger would have helped him considerably.

Reagrdless Galen aslo had a split second to prepare himself with him immediately having to jump in front of Kota and basically having no time to prepare himself.

Again, the difference between them is that while Galen most likely had an extra second to put up his defences, Mace only had time to move his blade and slip into Vaapad. As far as the film is concerned, the blade was pretty much right in front of his face at that point, which isn't exactly the most defensive position.

Regardless how long they had to prepare is irrelevant. It's not like raising your lightsaber and slipping into Vapaad is particularly hard.

But putting it in a position to block that lightning in a split second (considering how fast electricity moves and the apparent distance between them) whereby it's in a compromising position vs having an extra second to think to yourself that "the moment of truth had arrived" and put up your defences before willingly stepping in the way is relevant.

Except the bolts weren't touching Galen he was just straining massively from blocking it

Respectfully, you're wilfully ignoring the text:

Without hesitation, he stepped between Kota and the Emperor, taking the full brunt of the Sith lightning into his own body.

Even with his defences he was powerless to stop the lightning colliding with him.

which was also the case with Mace. Mace was literally crying out in pain saying he couldn't hold on any longer

Not what he said:

but the blistering energy that loured from his hands only intensified. He fed the power with his pain.

"Anakin!" Mace called. His voice sounded distant, blurred, as if it came from the bottom of a well. "Anakin, help me! This is your chance!"

-

"You're the chosen one, Anakin," Mace said, his voice going thin with strain. This was beyond Vaapad; he had no strength left to fight against his own blade. "Take him. It's your destiny."

Skywalker echoed him faintly. "Destiny..."

"Help me! I can't hold on any longer!" The yellow glare from Palpatine's eyes spread outward through his flesh. His skin flowed like oil, as though the muscle beneath was burning away, as though even the bones of his skull were softening, were bending and bulging, deforming from the heat and pressure of his electric hatred. "He is killing me, Anakin—! Please, Anaaahhh—"

Mace's blade bent so close to his face that he was choking on ozone. "Anakin, he's too strong for me—"

Even as an enraged Sheev kept ramping up the power of his lightning, an exhausted Mace was still able to keep any of the lightning from connecting and hold it off for a considerable amount of time. He asked for help because he was not ready for that kind of attack and had no strength left to fight it.

yet with Mace it's not a pain tolerance feat but with Galen it is.

Because it didn't connect. Galen was dying from the lightning whereas Mace was holding if off.

Mace had a massive advantage over Galen what with his saber

While exhausted and holding it in a compromising position.

and dealing with a massively weaker version of Sheev

Who was tapping into his rage to the point that his exhaustion barely seemed to affect him.

yet they performed remarkably similair.

Except they didn't.

Galen>Mace.

No. Galen is very powerful, but he is not prime Mace tier, let alone above him.

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What’s vaporion supposed to do against the star wars universe? Water pulse?

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AbigorGodofWar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Team takes it

Dawn_of_Ages

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do think that Sidious grew in between ROTS and TFU since it's pretty logical, but I don't think that the growth was as considerable as, say, ANH to ROTJ. He might have become a lot more knowledgeable, but I don't think this automatically translates into him becoming a lot more powerful as well.

He was also constantly draining Byss aside from the fact that he gathered tons of knowledge.

Also, throughout the mythos, one's knowledge of the Force has always been correlated with power. As one's understanding of the Force and its mysteries increases, they're increased understanding further leads to them also developing their overall power and command of the Force. Yoda is stated to be "just as powerful as Darth Sidious" because of his knowledge of the Force, likewise, the Banite Sith had their "powers increase with each generation" as they "gained knowledge of the dark side of the Force".

Also, lets not forget the fact that Luke thought about and even tried to murder the Emperor as of RotJ, yet when he senses the Emperor's power during DE, the only conclusion Luke arrives at is that the Emperor's power was "so overwhelming" that the "only way" to defeat the him was to sabotage his plans from the inside. And I doubt that he was just referring to Palpatine's knowledge.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dawn_of_ages: Also, lets not forget the fact that Luke thought about and even tried to murder the Emperor as of RotJ, yet when he senses the Emperor's power during DE, the only conclusion Luke arrives at is that the Emperor's power was "so overwhelming" that the "only way" to defeat the him was to sabotage his plans from the inside. And I doubt that he was just referring to Palpatine's knowledge.

I assume you mean this:

He had the power; the choice was his. And then another thought emerged, slowly compulsive as an ardent lover: he could destroy the Emperor, too. Destroy them both, and rule the galaxy

This is in the context of the rage amp:

"Before Vader could gather his thoughts much further, though, Luke attacked again - much more aggressively. He advanced in a flurry of lunges, each met with a loud crack of Vader's phosphorescent saber. The Dark Lord retreated a step at every slash, swivelling once to bring his cutting beam up viciously - but Luke batted it away, pushing Vader back yet again. The Lord of the Sith momentarily lost his footing on the stairs and tumbled to his knees. Luke stood above him, at the top of the staircase, heady with his own power. It was in his hands, now, he knew it was: he could take Vader. Take his blade, take his life. Take his place at the Emperor's side. Yes, even that. Luke didn't bury the thought, this time; he gloried in it. He engorged himself with its juices, felt its power tingle his cheeks. It made him feverish, this thought, with lust so overpowering as to totally obliterate all other considerations. He had the power; the choice was his. And then another thought emerged, slowly compulsive as an ardent lover: he could destroy the Emperor, too. Destroy them both, and rule the galaxy. Avenge and conquer. It was a profound moment for Luke. Dizzying. Yet he did not swoon. Nor did he recoil. He took one step forward."

I'm really not sure why people read into this so much. Luke was clearly drunk off his own rage and power, and as Sidious proved pretty quickly Luke wasn't anywhere near Sheev in a Force battle.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ArkhamAsylum3

@breakofdawn:

I've tried to write this rebuttal like 3 times lol but oh well I guess 3rd time is a charm. Seeing as none of my other rebuttals satisfied me I've decided to change this one a little bit. I'm just gonna address your points 1 by 1 in sections and hope it flows coherently rather than quoting you as I felt it made my other rebuttals look rather messy.

Section (1): Did Sidious's lightning bypass Galen's Defence?

Nothing in the quote you posted indicates that this was the case. The quote you posted says Galen took the "full brunt of the Sith Lightning into his own body" which you seem to interpret as it bypassing his defence. The main problem with this interpretation is that given it was the "full brunt" of Sidious's lightning that connected with Galen there is absolutely no possible way he could have not been incinerated given Sidious's power and the second problem is absolutely nothing in this quote precludes Galen from blocking it. All it says is that the lightning connected with Galen's body which is true enough given it does connect with his hands which spoilers btw are part of the human body and that the pain Galen experienced from blocking it was immense. The second part doesn't prove anything either given none of Sidious lightning connected with Mace as you pointed out yet Mace still noted it was killing him and gives multiple cries of pain throughout the engagement as blocking Sidious's lightning is of course very taxing and physically painful.

Section (2): Does Sidious lightning taxing Galen actually prove anything?

Short answer is of course not but let's go through this. Firstly let's actually go through your claim that it was supposedly overwhelming him. Your argument is as follows that Galen was somehow going to lose because it was painful for him to block Sheev's lightning. This is a downright falsehood. The fact is that both Yoda and Mace strained massively with Yoda thinking he'd lose and legitimately thinking Palpatine was stronger than him and Mace crying out in pain several times and saying Palpatine was too strong and that he was killing him. Both of these don't prove Palpatine is stronger though as Mace can legitimately contend with Sheev as was shown in their sabers duel and Yoda can outright stalemate Palptine with the end result of their fight being inconclusive. The fact is Galen despite dealing with immense pain could still walk towards Palpatine, grab him and resist the pain with him literally being no closer to unconsciousnesss at the end of their fight than he was at the start. So much for being overwhelmed...

Section (3): Sidious's desparation and howl of pain.

The main point of contention here seems to be to do with Sidious's desparation. Your argument is that Sidious's desparation was caused by his own lightning but surprise surprise this is false. Here's the passage:

Another staggering, painful step and the Emperor was within the apprentice's reach. With shaking fingers, he took the old man's bony shoulders in his hands and gripped them tight. The Sith lightning spread to engulf the two of them, fueled by both their desperations. The Emperor tipped back his head and howled in lascivious pain.

-The Force Unleashed

Sidious wasn't made desparate by the lightning as you can blatantly see. As the lightning spreads to engulf the two of them Sheev becomes desparate not after the lightning engulfs him and he howls with pain. The point I'm trying to make here is that it wasn't his lightning that made him desparate but rather Galen blocking his lightning, moving towards him and grabbing onto his shoulders. Sheev's desparation had nothing to do with his own lightning.

As for the howl of pain yeah sure it was Sheev's own lightning that caused it but the fact that Galen managed to hold onto him and not fall unconscious is extremely impressive. And no Galen nearly falling unconscious again isn't a mark against him. The only reason he nearly did is because the intensity of the lightning increased as he got closer to The Emperor but like before Galen simply resists it and holds on to The Emperor. There was no indication he would have blacked out anytime soon.

Section (4): Split second advantage.

You covered this pretty well in all honesty and I don't feel there is too much to address here. Regardless I'm sure we both agree that who had longer to prepare between Galen and Mace isn't exactly a huge factor.

Section (5): Mace's saber advantage.

The main point for me here is that you seemed to have put a lot of trust in your rebuttal to the exhaustion argument which I'll address in the next section.

Regardless I do agree that because of the nature of the loop the saber advantage is somewhat nullified but not some massive extent.

Also about Sidious being more powerful than Dooku while this is fair enough the advantage the saber gave Kenobi over Dooku was simply astounding and I'm not sure either the above factor or Sidious's power relative to Dooku can really compensate for it.

As for Mace's best feats of Force deflection care to point me to some?

Section (6) Mace's and Sidious's exhaustion.

Now Mace was exhausted I'll give you that but you argument for why Sidious shouldn't be as well was rather suspect. Hate is not a relevant factor at all. Sith have always drawn of the Dark Side to fuel them and they still get exhausted in fights. Sidious being angered by a few insults does not dramatically boost his power at all and certainly does not negate exhaustion. The only way to negate exhaustion is through meditation, rest or Force Rage. And no Sidious's did not enter Force Rage as Force Rage is a state which requires special circumstances to enter well beyond the realm of simple insults and the syptoms of it are rather noticable but it is never mentioned at all in this passage. What exactly distinguishes this from Maul's "hate filled" blows against Qui Gon on Naboo? Sidious's exhaustion was not negated at all and their is no evidence it was or should have been.

Section (7): Overall Outcome.

I think that's all your points addressed (please forgive me if they haven't been). As for the outcome of Galen vs Mace I honestly think Galen stomps via a superior performance against Sheev than an amped Mace. Regardless Marek in general even discounting their performances against Sheev has simply much better feats.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkhamasylum3: Life's pretty busy right now with my uni stuff so I'll have to get back to you on this in a few days. I don't want to write a half-assed response quickly.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The team wins.

noah_ouellette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noah_ouellette: ...

Pretty much this. I have Valkorian around ROTS Sidious/Yoda/Mace level (as I've already said) and the Outlander and unchained Vaylin in some undefined area around there. If I were to stretch it, I'd have Valk either firmly on their level with the other two being just under Mace, or Valk being above them and the other two on Mace's level. My opinion on Valkorian changes nearly everytime he's brought up so I don't have a clear cut power level for him.