US marine vs Spartan soldier vs Shaolin warrior monk

jonjizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Who would win? This is a battle of h2h only between:

- A US marine of average height, and combat skill. Trained in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program.

- The average spartan soldier, which was around 1,70m (5'7") tall, started training very hard at only 7 years old, and learned Pankration; an ancient greek form of unarmed combat, focused on grappling and boxing techniques.

- And an average Shaolin warrior monk from their golden era. Unlike for the other two, these warriors were trained since birth. They learned Shaolin Kung Fu, and trained all their lives unconditionally, obtaining powerful muscles and many different fighting techniques. Contrary to what some may think, ancient chinese weren't really that short..... around the same height as the Spartans.

Who would win the majority in a series of 1v1 duels?

and who of them would win in a free-for-all brawl?

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FullMetalEmprah

The Spartan and it isn't close.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AbstractRaze

Spartan, by far, Spartans are the expression of a maximum efficiency, I thank the Spartans so much, probably one of the greatest icons Greece had, because, without them, the Islam would rule Europe and the world, almost everything relies on that fight, 'the Battle of Thermopylae', I'm pretty happy that years later, Alexander defeated Persia again and then he ordered to burn all Persian libraries and a huge part of their history, a proud Macedonian and European icons.

Rxdking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rxdking

@abstractraze: You sound really racist.

Your happy that libraries were burned and history was burned?

Sounds a little like hitler

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FullMetalEmprah

@abstractraze: Maximum efficiency? Spartans are just as overrated as the other two in this thread, they just win due to fighting with a better fighting style compared to the other two and with more practice. Oh, and for the record Rome is infinitely superior.

TheTruthIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marines are at the biggest disadvantage because their focus is mostly on firearms and battlefield tactics, not unarmed combat. Spartans have the most experience and best gear, monks are generally peaceful and wear zero armor.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HeroUp2112

@thetruthiii said:

Marines are at the biggest disadvantage because their focus is mostly on firearms and battlefield tactics, not unarmed combat. Spartans have the most experience and best gear, monks are generally peaceful and wear zero armor.

Yeah, I wanna root for my brothers over in the Marine Corps but yeah. They have better hand to hand combat training (in basic anyway) than we Army doggies (that's what Jarheads like to call us lol), but it's not their focus. Spartans train from a very early age to physically kick ass and take initials because they're moving to fast to take names :) I thought a lot about the monks (since I assume there's no armor involved here at all) and I just think the Spartan style of combat is more practical and fierce.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Spartans have the most experience and best gear.

No Caption Provided

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AbstractRaze

@fullmetalemprah: Well, the Roman Empire's efficiency was a different kind of efficiency, which mainly highlights coordination and teamwork, Spartans highlighted the same points, probably below the Romans, but they were individually superior, they were better trained on an individual fight.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112 said:

Spartans have the most experience and best gear.

No Caption Provided

We're talking about a standard issue Marine Infantry troop, not a Recon or MARSOC guy. I also (I added this in the edit) assume that the Spartan wouldn't have any armor...that would make no sense for him to be the only one with gear.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AbstractRaze

@rxdking said:

@abstractraze: You sound really racist.

Your happy that libraries were burned and history was burned?

Sounds a little like hitler

Racist? it was necessary, so that they stop spreading their doctrines which were a treat against European standards, everything was part of the war, Alexander the Great was a proud European who acted in order to prevail our European diversity which the Persians wanted to eradicate.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HeroUp2112
TheTruthIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruthiii said:

Yeah, I wanna root for my brothers over in the Marine Corps but yeah. They have better hand to hand combat training (in basic anyway) than we Army doggies (that's what Jarheads like to call us lol), but it's not their focus. Spartans train from a very early age to physically kick ass and take initials because they're moving to fast to take names :) I thought a lot about the monks (since I assume there's no armor involved here at all) and I just think the Spartan style of combat is more practical and fierce.

Huh. I assumed they would have whatever clothing they typically wear in potential combat scenarios but no weapons. If they're all butt naked I would give the Marine and monk a greater chance of winning (especially the monk as he's more accustomed to CQC fighting unburdened by vests or armor). The spartan probably still takes a slight majority though

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112 said:
@thetruthiii said:

Huh. I assumed they would have whatever clothing they typically wear in potential combat scenarios but no weapons. If they're all butt naked I would give the Marine and monk a greater chance of winning (especially the monk as he's more accustomed to CQC fighting unburdened by vests or armor). The spartan probably still takes a slight majority though

I can go along with this to a degree, except the Marine is still probably pretty handicapped here due to severe lack of hand to hand training compared to the other two. Marines (and other modern military regular forces) focus is on weapons systems training. Hand to hand combat is an afterthought (though the Marines do more hand to hand than any other American regular force, its' still hardly any compared to the Spartans and Monks. He WOULD have superior reach and strength most likely though.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

US Marine easily. Spartans lived in an era without bjj, so they fall victim to modern sweeps. Shaolin Monks have zero ground game (yes they have ground kung fu, but it sucks). A good marine is going to shoot a single leg, and have their way with them from side mount. If that marine invests extra time into their kickboxing, or takes MMA in their spare time it's a stomp. Spartans and Shaolin have zero defense against something like this.

Loading Video...

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FullMetalEmprah

@abstractraze: Romans highly valued martial prowess, this included individual combat prowess. Spartans were good warriors, yes, but they weren't so above everyone else in the civilized world. They were about equal in terms of individual skill, Legionaries trained constantly like Spartans.

TheTruthIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheTruthIII

@heroup2112 said:
@thetruthiii said:
@heroup2112 said:
@thetruthiii said:

I can go along with this to a degree, except the Marine is still probably pretty handicapped here due to severe lack of hand to hand training compared to the other two. Marines (and other modern military regular forces) focus is on weapons systems training. Hand to hand combat is an afterthought (though the Marines do more hand to hand than any other American regular force, its' still hardly any compared to the Spartans and Monks. He WOULD have superior reach and strength most likely though.

Yeah I completely agree. Just giving the Marine a better chance without armor because he doesn't have to go through a bronze helmet everytime he throws a punch to the face.

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alavanka: Don't quote me on this but I'm like 90% sure Pankration had wrestling too, so the Spartan should have a decent ground game. Pankration from what I've read about was basically ancient MMA.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alavanka said:

US Marine easily. Spartans lived in an era without bjj, so they fall victim to modern sweeps. Shaolin Monks have zero ground game (yes they have ground kung fu, but it sucks). A good marine is going to shoot a single leg, and have their way with them from side mount. If that marine invests extra time into their kickboxing, or takes MMA in their spare time it's a stomp. Spartans and Shaolin have zero defense against something like this.

Loading Video...

The Spartans my not have had BJJ but they had extremely good grappling techniques, plus they trained in using them from the time they were six. Marines are taught these techniques for a week or two at most. We're talking about the "standard issue" of these three groups, not what extra training they might have received. A Spartan who has spent his whole life practicing and actually fighting using these techniques will prevail over a Marine who is using slightly better grappling techniques he's learned in a few weeks and only practices once or twice a month with Cadre.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112 said:
@thetruthiii said:
@heroup2112 said:
@thetruthiii said:

Yeah I completely agree. Just giving the Marine a better chance without armor because he doesn't have to go through a bronze helmet everytime he throws a punch to the face.

lol Very true, that would SUCK!

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Alavanka

@fullmetalemprah said:

@alavanka: Don't quote me on this but I'm like 90% sure Pankration had wrestling too, so the Spartan should have a decent ground game. Pankration from what I've read about was basically ancient MMA.

That's true, but modern grappling is very different from pankration. Pankration would resemble more of olympic wrestling and probably traditional jujutsu, than what we would see from a bjj guy. Stuff like fighting from the bottom of guard, and fishing for knee bars or heel hooks would be largely missing.

grappolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spartans overrated as always.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AbstractRaze

@fullmetalemprah: Well, we have to agree and disagree, personaly, I value the Spartans and Macedonians above the Romans, being more precise, I value Ancient Greece above the Roman Empire, they had a bigger impact overall, now in terms of knowledge, probably the Romans takes it, but in terms of ideologies, Ancient Greece was more predominant and they hella defended Europe against the Persians, only because of them, is why the west civilization exist as we currently know it, which isn't the greatest thing, but still better than being ruled by the Islam.

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alavanka: Yeah looking into it I see what you mean, I just saw they basically had shoulder locks and arm bars. That and that stance looks like a boxing stance, meaning with kicks that lead leg is done.

I change my mind, the marine wins.

jonjizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jonjizz

But they are warrior monks, and in the past they used to fight in different types of life or death situations.

First of all in self-defence against bandits, but also in actual wars. Being peaceful doesn't mean they didn't train fighting with each others every day, like the spartans did.

grappolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FullMetalEmprah

@abstractraze: Ancient Persia existed before Islam was even created(circa 7th Century AD), Thermopylae happened hundreds of years before that as well(480 BC, so nearly a thousand years). They defended against Persia either way though I admit. Also no Rome was better in every way, one created the basis for things like modern highways and had technology that wouldn't be replicated until hundreds of years later, the other got conquered by Rome. Rome did not just beat Sparta, they made them capitulate in their own city in return for sparing their lives, the Spartans literally only beat them in one small battle. Rome could have done everything Greece did but ten times better. But sure, let's agree to disagree.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AbstractRaze

@fullmetalemprah: Still, in the middle east were the roots, it was a matter of time, till the Islam emerges in the middle east and starts spreading over an invaded and influenced Europe.

Again, thank you Ancient Greece, thank you Alexander the Great, thank you king Leonidas, king Pausanias, king Cimon, king Pericles, king Onesilus, king Miltiades and king Themistocles.

grappolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By grappolo

@abstractraze: It's funny that you praise alexander that much, at the end of the day the guy was way more persian than macedonian.

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abstractraze: Meh, I can say as an outsider Europe was just as bad for the most part, but I digress, I don't wanna derail the thread.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AbstractRaze
@grappolo said:

@abstractraze: lol you really dislike the persians.

Of course, I'm German, a proud European and I thank the Ancient Greeks.

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FullMetalEmprah

Anyway BACK ON TOPIC, the marine in my opinion wins now considering Pankration isn't enough to handle someone well versed in MMA in my opinion.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AbstractRaze

@grappolo said:

@abstractraze: It's funny that you praise alexander that much, at the end of the day the guy was way more persian than macedonian.

Doubt it, Alexander the Great proudly burned all Persian libraries in order to stop their expansionist ideologies.

Well, let's move on, I'm done.

I'm for the Spartan.

grappolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abstractraze: Are you serious now? Alexander invaded persia, india and egypt but the others had expansionistic ideologies right? Lol, burning libraries is one of the lowest thing you could do, destroying knowledge is insane and you are proud of it? And yes, alexander behaved just like a persian ruler, instead of being a primo inter pares he wanted to be worshipped almost like a living deity forcing his macedonian peers to bow and touch the ground and forcing them to marry persian women, i know that the guy was drunk half of the time but he was a pretty questionable dude.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AbstractRaze

@grappolo said:

@abstractraze: Are you serious now? Alexander invaded persia, india and egypt but the others had expansionistic ideologies right? Lol, burning libraries is one of the lowest thing you could do, destroying knowledge is insane and you are proud of it? And yes, alexander behaved just like a persian ruler, instead of being a primo inter pares he wanted to be worshipped almost like a living deity forcing his macedonian peers to bow and touch the ground and forcing them to marry persian women, i know that the guy was drunk half of the time but he was a pretty questionable dude.

Let us move on, and of course, he had to stay there and take control over the territory, and if the Ancient Greeks expanded, it was because of the Persians wanted to expand first and force their ideologies.

It was a war and the best efficient way stop an invasive ideology was what Alexander the Great did, and I would not only choice it twice but over and over again, better than giving the Islam free pass into Europe, considering that after the Zoroastrianism went extinct, the Islam became more popular in middle east and again, considering an invaded Europe, such probability would still be there and it was too risky.

nerdchore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marine wins

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

People aren't giving the Monks the credit they deserve. Sure they were pacifists but when they fought they fought withe extreme levels of skill.

LawCol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LawCol

The Marine is at a disadvantage considering that their training and experience isn't geared towards hand to hand. They'd have some high quality gear though.

The Shaolin monk is tricky since we don't know what ancient Shoalin kung-fu actually taught. Also they're equipment is unknown.

The Spartan would have my backing, since his training is focused on hand to hand warfare. Plus his gear is specifically for melee combat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
deactivated-5b84aca03eae8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If the Spartan has his armor, then he might win. If not, then probably the monk. With weapons and gear, the Marine wins.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alavanka said:

Loading Video...

The Spartans my not have had BJJ but they had extremely good grappling techniques, plus they trained in using them from the time they were six. Marines are taught these techniques for a week or two at most. We're talking about the "standard issue" of these three groups, not what extra training they might have received. A Spartan who has spent his whole life practicing and actually fighting using these techniques will prevail over a Marine who is using slightly better grappling techniques he's learned in a few weeks and only practices once or twice a month with Cadre.

Okay, fair point. I guess I was assuming we pick the best fighter out of the marines. There's bound to be a couple of guys who have already trained in martial arts all their lives life before even joining the marines. I suppose it wouldn't be fair using those guys as examples of what the Marine Corps spits out as a product of their training.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HeroUp2112

@alavanka said:
@heroup2112 said:
@alavanka said:

Loading Video...

Okay, fair point. I guess I was assuming we pick the best fighter out of the marines. There's bound to be a couple of guys who have already trained in martial arts all their lives life before even joining the marines. I suppose it wouldn't be fair using those guys as examples of what the Marine Corps spits out as a product of their training.

Ah, well if we're going that route, yeah an experienced MARSOC guy would probably close these other two guys down hard, even if he was fighting King Leonidas and a Shaolin master.