Ultimate LotR vs GoT

ryanbarnes619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay so I know there have been a ton of these before but I felt should just post an ultimate list that combines most of the major characters in both series and pits them against each other and see what everyone thinks. I love these what ifs.

From both the books and the show/movies, decide who would win in a one on one battle.

Aragorn vs Jaime Lannister

Legolas vs Loras Tyrell

Boromir vs The Hound

Gimli vs The Mountain

Eomer vs Khal Drogo

Eowyn vs Brienne of Tarth

Theoden vs Tywin Lannister

Thorin Oakenshield (yes from the Hobbit, oh well) vs Ned Stark

Faramir vs Jon Snow

Elrond vs Barristan Selmy

Bard vs Benjen Stark

Bilbo vs Tyrion

Gandalf vs Thoros of Myr

Thranduil vs Rhaegar Targaryen

King Dain vs Robert Barratheon

The Witch King vs Coldhands

Sauron vs the Three Eyed Raven

ryanbarnes619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any takers?

Avatar image for the_knight_rhoden
The_Knight_Rhoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanbarnes619: Most of these are mismatches, the LOTR side has better training, and many of them have special equipment capable of slicing through regular steel like butter. Many of the LOTR characters are also enhanced/ peak human in some way or another.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bfd5d714c687
deactivated-5bfd5d714c687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanbarnes619: Most of these are mismatches, the LOTR side has better training, and many of them have special equipment capable of slicing through regular steel like butter. Many of the LOTR characters are also enhanced/ peak human in some way or another.

This.

ryanbarnes619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_knight_rhoden: Most of these are mismatches, the LOTR side has better training, and many of them have special equipment capable of slicing through regular steel like butter. Many of the LOTR characters are also enhanced/ peak human in some way or another.

Yeah, but I've seen these kinds of comparisons all the time. I am usually going to pick LotR, but I wanted to see if anyone was going to make the case for GoT like I've seen before.

Avatar image for the_knight_rhoden
The_Knight_Rhoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanbarnes619: Brienne does utterly destroy Eowyn however, she gets taught what a Nazgul slayer should really be.

Tyrion also possibly takes a win.

Everyone else loses miserably however.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aragorn vs Jaime Lannister - Aragorn has better stats. He's got near elf-like reflexes and was abnormally tall and strong. Aragorn also has vastly superior, outright superhuman stamina, vision, and senses.

Legolas vs Loras Tyrell - I shouldn't even have to explain this. Legolas regularly plows through groups of orcs and uruk-hai without breaking a sweat whereas Loras was beaten by Brienne, pulled from his horse by the Mountain, and nearly died in the first major battle he was in.

Boromir vs The Hound - This one may be more difficult. Boromir didn't have many feats since he was only in the one book, but he was clearly a skilled warrior and his strength was well noted.

Gimli vs The Mountain - I've made a more in depth explanation of this fight in another thread. Gimli is use to fighting against huge opponents of all shapes and sizes where as the Mountain has never had to fight someone that only comes up to his knees. Gimli's dwarven strength and axe can also get at the Mountain's knees and cut him down to size. Gimli is also much more skilled as he defeated groups of enemies despite his lack of reach and small size, where as the Mountain does the same because of his size.

Eomer vs Khal Drogo - Eomer wasn't referred to as being especially mighty as a combatant.

Eowyn vs Brienne of Tarth Eowyn didn't do much that was super impressive. She only beat the Witch King because of Merry's sword that broke the spell that bound him to the mortal world.

Theoden vs Tywin Lannister - Theoden was noted as a strong warrior and fought on the front lines with his men. Tywin, to the best of my knowledge, prefers the role of commander and doesn't fight directly unless he has to.

Thorin Oakenshield (yes from the Hobbit, oh well) vs Ned Stark -Dwarven prince of some renown should be sufficient to beat ol' Ned who doesn't have many feats of skill, nor acclaims to support his position as an especially strong combatant.

Faramir vs Jon Snow - Faramir is older, stronger, and likely more skilled. I'd put an uruk-hai over a random wildling in terms of combat potential, and Faramir spent his entire life fighting them where as Jon has only spent a few years fighting the wildlings.

Elrond vs Barristan Selmy - Elrond is an elf from the First Age and has superhuman stats and magical abilities that put him well beyond Barristan despite his lack of feats.

Bard vs Benjen Stark - Both are nearly featless in terms of fighting skills.

Bilbo vs Tyrion - Tyrion has limited mobility and poor stamina. Bilbo is a more capable fighter because he isn't suffering from a disability, his kind are just naturally short.

Gandalf vs Thoros of Myr - Wild, massive stompfest and I shouldn't have to say why.

Thranduil vs Rhaegar Targaryen - Ancient elven king has ancient elven king stats.

King Dain vs Robert Barratheon - King Dain should win being an old, veteran, dwarven king. It's hard to say though since, unlike elves, dwarves aren't automatically superior in all stats to humans. Both characters are kind of vague so it's hard to tell, to be honest.

The Witch King vs Coldhands - Any weapon Coldhands tries to strike the Witch King with will shatter and inflict poison upon Coldhands. The Witch King also can't die, so there's that.

Sauron vs the Three Eyed Raven - Shouldn't have to explain why. The Three Eyed Raven has only shown the ability to command animals. Sauron can obliterate any living animal in Westeros with ease.

ryanbarnes619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree about Eomer. He rode against Mumakil at Pelennor Fields and came out unscathed. He would clearly be a better rider than any person in Martin's realm. Drogo wouldn't stand a chance in my opinion. Bard would win because of his superior archery. I mean he did take down a dragon after all, I doubt that Benjen could do anything close to that. Boromir easily defeats the Hound.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanbarnes619:

The original post didn't say this was on horseback, so Eomer's ability as a rider of Rohan isn't a factor. Bard might win with an arrow shot but in a direct fight he doesn't have feats. Nor does his opponent. If we're factoring in archery Legolas stomps Loras even worse than he already does.

What feat does Boromir have that puts him above the Hound? He killed a lot of orcs, but that isn't any different from the Hound killing a lot of common soldiers. Boromir was noted as being very strong, but so is the Hound. On top of that the Hound has better equipment. He has full plate armor whereas Boromir only has chainmail.

ryanbarnes619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanbarnes619

@metaljimmor: Not true at all. When did the Hound go into battle incredibly outnumbered and come out unscathed? Boromir fought creatures twice as strong as the Hound. Boromir is also stronger than the Hound and being one of the most decorated and experienced warriors in Gondor during the War of the Ring, he'd make easy work of the Hound. Remember Boromir also has the Horn of Gondor which made the Balrog pause in his tracks, so what will it do to the Hound? Probably make him crap his pants. Boromir's strength and the strength of the Hound are two completely different things. The Hound is strong for Martin's realm. Boromir was strong for Tolkien's realm. Orcs and Uruk Hai are stronger than the average person in Middle Earth, and in Westeros they'd be arguably as strong as the Hound.

As far as Eomer goes, he's a more skilled fighter because of experience, and if he's the best fighter out of a warrior kingdom like Rohan, well that's saying something. Remember, Dothraki don't fair too well without their horses, and remember what Jorah did to Drogo's successor because he was wearing armor? Drogo does not stand a chance.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanbarnes619:

Orcs are described as shorter and weaker than men, actually. It's the uruk-hai who have a strength advantage. As for strength, the Hound was able to cross blades with his brother who decapitated a horse with a single sword swing. That is quite a bit beyond the realm of normal human strength. In fact it's flat out superhuman. The Hound might not be AS strong as his brother but he's at least comparable. I'm running a blank on any strength feats from Boromir that trump that. As for the horn, that isn't really applicable. The horn had no magic power, otherwise it would've saved him from the uruk-hai that killed him.

Eomer doesn't necessarily have more experience than Drogo. The two are both veteran warriors. The difference is Drogo lived well into adulthood and had never lost a battle, either on horse or on foot, as evidence by his Dothraki braid. Eomer has no accolades of his superior dueling skill to speak of and no feats that make him stand out as a straight combatant. Additionally Jorah beat Drogo's successor because of his plate armor. Eomer only has chainmail, not plate. His armor isn't even comparable. Besides that Jorah is not Eomer and Drogo is not his successor. Drogo proved to be well beyond his kin in terms of combat skill by the virtue of being the Khal.

JHG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanbarnes619:

Aragorn vs Jaime Lannister

Legolas vs Loras Tyrell

Boromir vs The Hound

Gimli vs The Mountain

Eomer vs Khal Drogo

Eowyn vs Brienne of Tarth

Theoden vs Tywin Lannister

Thorin Oakenshield (yes from the Hobbit, oh well) vs Ned Stark

Faramir vs Jon Snow

Elrond vs Barristan Selmy

Bard vs Benjen Stark

Bilbo vs Tyrion

Gandalf vs Thoros of Myr

Thranduil vs Rhaegar Targaryen

King Dain vs Robert Barratheon

The Witch King vs Coldhands

Sauron vs the Three Eyed Raven

1. Aragorn wins.

2. Legolas wins.

3. Sean Bean doesn't win.

4. Gimli wins.

5. Éomer wins.

6. Brienne of Tarth wins.

7. Théoden wins.

8. Sean Bean DOESN'T WIN!!!

9. Hmmm...dunno. Jon Snow if he has Longclaw else Faramir.

10. Elrond wins.

11. Bard wins.

12. Bilbo Baggins wins.

13. Gandalf crushes Thoros.

14. Thranduil again.

15. Dáin II Ironfoot wins.

16. Witch King makes Coldhands a wraith.

17. Sauron. Was there ever any doubt?

cf_xxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay so I know there have been a ton of these before but I felt should just post an ultimate list that combines most of the major characters in both series and pits them against each other and see what everyone thinks. I love these what ifs.

From both the books and the show/movies, decide who would win in a one on one battle.

Aragorn vs Jaime Lannister- Aragorn, according to Gandalf he is the most skilled fighter of the age, plus he is enhanced

Legolas vs Loras Tyrell- Legolas, way more skilled, and way more experience, not to mention also enhanced

Boromir vs The Hound- Boromir, in the book he was close to The Hound in size, plus far above him in skill, his death in the book had him shot with "many" arrows, more than 3, and he was still reaching for his broken sword, even in this condition orcs could see his chest rising and they were scared of him so they gave him a wide birth

Gimli vs The Mountain- Gimili, his height would actually help him here

Eomer vs Khal Drogo- Drogo, Eomer is a good fighter, but Drogo is more skilled and ruthless

Eowyn vs Brienne of Tarth- Brienne of Tarth, way more skilled and stronger

Theoden vs Tywin Lannister- Theoden, Tywin is a great strategist, but Theoden is a better fighter

Thorin Oakenshield (yes from the Hobbit, oh well) vs Ned Stark- Oakensheild, he held his own against the 3 trolls in the book

Faramir vs Jon Snow- Snow, more skilled and possibly stronger

Elrond vs Barristan Selmy- Lord Elrond, elves of the 1st age were capable of taking on balrogs

Bard vs Benjen Stark- Bard, puts an arrow in him from a safe distance

Bilbo vs Tyrion- Tyrion, I love Bilbo but Tyrion has shown time and time again that he is a survivor and can be a fighter when he has to be

Gandalf vs Thoros of Myr- Gandalf, way too powerful

Thranduil vs Rhaegar Targaryen- Thranduil, same reason as Lord Elrond

King Dain vs Robert Barratheon- Dain, he was regarded as one of the greatest dwarven fighters of all time

The Witch King vs Coldhands- The Witch King, he can't be killed

Sauron vs the Three Eyed Raven- Sauron overwhelms him

NameNotFound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aragorn vs Jaime Lannister: Aragorn

Legolas vs Loras Tyrell: Legolas

Boromir vs The Hound: Not sure, leaning towards Boromir

Gimli vs The Mountain: Unsure, leaning towards Gregor

Eomer vs Khal Drogo: Unsure, leaning towards Eomer

Eowyn vs Brienne of Tarth: Probably Brienne more often than not, though I can see Eowyn winning

Theoden vs Tywin Lannister: Theoden

Thorin Oakenshield (yes from the Hobbit, oh well) vs Ned Stark: Thorin

Faramir vs Jon Snow: Jon Snow

Elrond vs Barristan Selmy: Elrond

Bard vs Benjen Stark: Probably Benjen

Bilbo vs Tyrion: Bilbo

Gandalf vs Thoros of Myr: Gandalf

Thranduil vs Rhaegar Targaryen: Thranduil

King Dain vs Robert Barratheon: Unsure, leaning Robert

The Witch King vs Coldhands: The Witch King

Sauron vs the Three Eyed Raven: Sauron

IWorkAlone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By IWorkAlone

Isn't this a major stomp for LotR? I think GoT only takes maybe 3 fights at best.

IRONandFIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GOT sweep.

TheEmperor95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These matchups will never be fair imo. If you take books into account LoTR stomps and if you take only tv/movies then GoT stomps

reaperace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 reaperace  Moderator

Spite, any high tier in LoTR solos the verse.

DarthAdi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DarthAdi

Aragorn vs Jaime Lannister: Aragorn is actually superhuman. He can fight and defeat large numbers of Uruk Hai and even block strikes from a troll (in the movies). Jaime as skilled as he is, is just a normal human.

Legolas vs Loras Tyrell: Legolas. Just like in the Aragorn fight, you have a superhuman against a normal dude.

Boromir vs The Hound: This one is closer. Could go either way.

Gimli vs The Mountain: While Gimli has similar feats as Aragorn and Legolas, he faces another borderline superhuman here who post Oberyn fight and "resurection" is also hard to kill (If we allow show feats). Gimli is still the more skilled combatant by far, but has a massive reach disadvantage being a dwarf and having a short weapon, compared to Oberyn's poisoned spear, which was the main reason of his effectivness against the Mountain. Good fight, but still leaning Gimli.

Eomer vs Khal Drogo: Could go either way, leaning Drogo

Eowyn vs Brienne of Tarth: Either way, leaning Brienne. Eowyn killing the WK has a lot of context.

Edit: Eowyn killing the fel beast is better than anything Brienne did. She wins.

Theoden vs Tywin Lannister: Theoden is still a good warrior. Tywin doesn't have much in terms of combat feats as an old man.

Thorin Oakenshield (yes from the Hobbit, oh well) vs Ned Stark: Thorin. Ned Stark was just an above avarage warrior.

Faramir vs Jon Snow: Maybe Jon. Faramir wasn't really a warrior like his brother, while Jon wss considered one of the best swordmen in Westeros and has numerous feats of fighting wildlings and White Walkers (show).

Elrond vs Barristan Selmy: Elrond. Mismatch

Bard vs Benjen Stark: Bard

Bilbo vs Tyrion: Bilbo probably.

Gandalf vs Thoros of Myr: Gandalf stomps. Thoros, while capable of some Lord of Light magic like ressurecting Beric from the dead, doesn't have any impressive combat applicable magic.

Thranduil vs Rhaegar Targaryen: Don't remember how good Thranduil was. If he is half as good as his son he takes it.

King Dain vs Robert Barratheon: Unsure, leaning Robert.

The Witch King vs Coldhands: The Witch King is around Gandalf the White's level in the books (as Gandalf himself admited) and blatlantly superior in the movies. He stomps here.

Sauron vs the Three Eyed Raven: Sauron. Huge mismatch for obvious reasons.

Cheth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aragorn vs Jaime Lannister: Spite. In terms of pure swordsmanship arguments could be made, but Aragorn is better in every single other category, not just physicals (being a superhuman) but also gear, intelligence, experience, survivability, different weaponry, etc.

Legolas vs Loras Tyrell: Legolas puts an arrow through the eye of every GOT Character in this gauntlet at once before they get close to touching him.

Boromir vs The Hound: closer but still would drastically favour Boromir. The hound is strong and skilled, but Boromir I would argue is better in both categories, and moreso in other. What I feel the need to mention is that while Boromir is not quite like Aragorn, he still is of numenorean descent just like him, just less pure than him. Meaning that Boromir himself is also superhuman. Infact Denethor and Faramir are stated to have nearly pure blood, and while it is stated that Boromir is unlike them, Boromir is still repeatedly noted by everyone to be the greatest warrior of the gondorians. And infact is stated to be physically stronger than Aragorn, to have scared (if temporarily) a balrog and a full army of orcs when Gimli dropped his axe in despair, to have beaten back Sauron's armies time and again, even with a nazgul trying to scare him away, and of course fighting a hundred orcs and uruk-hai with only Pippin and merry. In terms of strength Boromir is clearly stronger, in terms of skill he is clearly more skilled, in terms of experience he clearly holds the advantage, and in terms of pure bravery he is nearly unmatched.

Gimli vs The Mountain: I've seen people mentioning reach, size and strength in favour of the Mountain, and all I can say is; is that it? This is always a factor for Gimli. If reach alone was enough to give you the win against gimli he would have died to a single orc. Yet Gimli doesn't; he's an ultra-chad who outperformed LEGOLAS in the battle of helm's deep against uruk-hai, who in the movies drastically outperformed Aragorn against the Uruk-hai in Amon Hen (Aragorn repeatedly nearly died to regular uruk-hai, Gimli didn't even get touched), who casually clears whole groups of larger enemies and simply leaped into a phalanx from a wall multiple times the height of any man or elf. He even keeps up in a three-day sprint with Aragorn and Legolas, both superhumanly fast and endurant. Gimli is a far tougher, more experienced, more intelligent, more skilled, more resilient, and simply put more badass warrior than the Mountain. Fighting someone bigger than him is every single day for him. Much like Aragorn, Legolas and Boromir, I would favour Gimli in an easy fight.

Eomer vs Khal Drogo: Eomer doesn't have many feats sadly, but what he does have still makes me put him ahead of Drogo. He has favourable comparisons with Aragorn (not in superiority, but comparability), killed a named uruk-hai leader in a pure duel, and his absolute chad marksmanship in the movies with throwing a spear to kill an oliphant.

Eowyn vs Brienne of Tarth: Eowyn killing the fel beast and a mumakil with her sword far exceeds Brienne

Theoden vs Tywin Lannister: Theoden is a far greater warrior. If its Theoden in the mindset of his final battle he solos the entire GOT cast in this thread.

Thorin Oakenshield (yes from the Hobbit, oh well) vs Ned Stark: Ned Stark is a great warrior, but Thorin much greater even before you have the crazy PJ movies stuff.

Faramir vs Jon Snow: Faramir is more experienced, more skilled, much more clever and is of numenorean descent.

Elrond vs Barristan Selmy: Elrond solos the verse.

Bard vs Benjen Stark: Benjen gets an arrow in the knee and a black arrow in the face.

Bilbo vs Tyrion: Bilbo is a gigachad. Kills Tyrion with a rock to the face.

Gandalf vs Thoros of Myr: Gandalf solos the verse without using magic.

Thranduil vs Rhaegar Targaryen: Thranduil solos the cast most likely.

King Dain vs Robert Barratheon: Prime Robert is an amazing warrior and one pretty well-suited for cross-verse comparisons since while less skilled than jaime and weaker than the mountain (most likely) he represents a good mix between the two. However Dain killing Azog massively pre-prime and having spent centuries being a warrior-king makes me favour him without doubt.

The Witch King vs Coldhands: The Witch King solos the verse

Sauron vs the Three Eyed Raven: Sauron steps on the verse like an ant before realising it was there.

A-ranDom-neRd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost all are LOTR wins, Eowyn might lose tho