Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 70

#51  Edited By shroudofsorrow
@professorrespect said:
@tifalockhart said:

JSA busting aside (which isn’t admissible here) what has Grundy accomplished?

Depends on the Grundy being presented as I've stated a few times. You'd have to actually pick out a version based on when he showed up, so the version being used here would be one of the weaker Post Crisis incarnations that typically can reliably brawl with high tiers and beat them, like the versions that were smacking down Sups, Alan Scott, or whatnot. I don't think Ult Hulk can beat any version of these based on his feats. He can probably beat the weaker versions that were brawling with Gotham or whatnot.

It may be prudent to provide additional feats, if only to show consistency. Sense I'm getting is that there's a general demand for evidence to be put forward for those advocating for Grundy.

Also, by "brawling with Gotham", you mean he was fighting the Gotham City Superman knock-off, right?

But yeah, I think I have to agree that the notion that Ultimate Cap punching down Hulk is legit is pretty silly. But I'd also just regard it as a low showing on Hulk's end.

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wasn't Grundy a legitimate team-buster at one point? Not relevant to the thread, just wondering.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

@professorrespect said:
@tifalockhart said:

JSA busting aside (which isn’t admissible here) what has Grundy accomplished?

Depends on the Grundy being presented as I've stated a few times. You'd have to actually pick out a version based on when he showed up, so the version being used here would be one of the weaker Post Crisis incarnations that typically can reliably brawl with high tiers and beat them, like the versions that were smacking down Sups, Alan Scott, or whatnot. I don't think Ult Hulk can beat any version of these based on his feats. He can probably beat the weaker versions that were brawling with Gotham or whatnot.

It may be prudent to provide additional feats, if only to show consistency. Sense I'm getting is that there's a general demand for evidence to be put forward for those advocating for Grundy

I linked a RT which contains all of his incarnations and their respective feats. It's about as good evidence as can be without cherry-picking or being overtly bias in the presentation.

Also, by "brawling with Gotham", you mean he was fighting the Gotham City Superman knock-off, right

Yeah

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 70

@professorrespect: OK, cool.

I'm getting the sense that there's a lot of salt regarding Ultimate Marvel characters for some reason. Gives me a lot of incentive to not use them as much here going forwards.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@shroudofsorrow: there's a active bias against Ultimate Marvel and there is a reason for it. Ultimate Marvel started off strong in comics. It was selling better than 616 Comics were for a short time. But then ultimatum happened. Which really gave Ultimate Marvel Comics of black eye and sore taste in readers mouth it never recovered from. After that event the comics were hit and miss. With most being a miss. So much like people shit on MCU characters due to the franchise shitty choices past few years leaving a stain on its legacy, same for Ultimate comics.

This is why people downplay it or just have a bias to it. 😒

Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wasn't Grundy a legitimate team-buster at one point? Not relevant to the thread, just wondering.

I said this here before already, but fighting the Post-Crisis JSA hardly counts as traditional team-busting. Their comics had no notion of consistent powerscaling, both peak-humans like Wildcat and supposed Kryptonian+ heroes like Alan Scott were regularly shown fighting side-by-side against the same enemies and tanking similar attacks. Then you have guys like Hawkman drawing blood from established teambusters like Despero and Gog, with no explanation given to any of it.

Seriously, just pick up any JSA issue with a big team fight and you'll see how nonsensical those comics are when it comes to the fight scenes.

I'm getting the sense that there's a lot of salt regarding Ultimate Marvel characters for some reason. Gives me a lot of incentive to not use them as much here going forwards.

Only that Underfire dude is getting salty and I legit don't know why. It's my first time debating them, as far as I remember.

The Ultimate Universe is cool. There are several pretty good comics and it has a ton of feats and generally consistent powers. But most high-tier characters have well-established limits significantly below planet-busting level. I guess that's why some people immediately jump on some "anti-Ultimate argument", because most of the characters there can't be scaled the same way 616 and DC characters can.

Which is really dumb if you ask me. Just because a character isn't destroying planets doesn't mean they can't win fights like this.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ProfessorRespect

@ouroborik: Hawkman hurting Gog makes sense because that specific version of Gog wasn't very good. It's the same version that had to exhaust Superman to even stand a chance against him via Kryptonite or wearing him down with multiple enemies. Also he does have Nth Metal so it makes sense why he'd be able to get blood out of people out of his league.

@shroudofsorrow said:

I'm not sure why given the discussion is pretty simple, for some reason people turn it into a "haters vs real fans" tribalism shtick all the time instead of just debating the actual subject at hand, which you can observe pretty easily just with a glance. I like the Ult-verse (excluding the garbage tie-in comics) and have done plenty to try to represent it better, so getting lumped in as either one is rather disrespectful.

Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ouroborik: Hawkman hurting Gog makes sense because that specific version of Gog wasn't very good. It's the same version that had to exhaust Superman to even stand a chance against him via Kryptonite or wearing him down with multiple enemies.

I admit I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure the version of Gog that the JSA fought wasn't that version which couldn't even beat Superman.

I'm assuming you're talking about the In the Name of Gog version, the one with the time-clones hax. As far as I know that specific Gog only existed in the Pre-Infinite Crisis timeline and his origin was related to Our Worlds at War.

The one which fought the JSA (Post-Infinite Crisis) had a completely different origin story, being a missionary guy who found the original Old God Gog and channeled his power. He had no time-clones and he seemed to be as strong as Superman on his own without needing prep advantages. He even defeated the Infinity-Man IIRC.

@shroudofsorrow said:

I'm not sure why given the discussion is pretty simple, for some reason people turn it into a "haters vs real fans" tribalism shtick all the time instead of just debating the actual subject at hand, which you can observe pretty easily just with a glance. I like the Ult-verse (excluding the garbage tie-in comics) and have done plenty to try to represent it better, so getting lumped in as either one is rather disrespectful.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ouroborik

I admit I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure the version of Gog that the JSA fought wasn't that version which couldn't even beat Superman

It's the same one from everything I've read, every secondary source also doesn't make a difference between the two either.

I'm assuming you're talking about the In the Name of Gog version, the one with the time-clones hax

Ye

As far as I know that specific Gog only existed in the Pre-Infinite Crisis timeline and his origin was related to Our Worlds at War

That seems more like a very soft retcon given there's no attempt to say this is a different Gog, and in fact this is directly contradicted by JSA #13 where they mention his attack on Superman "a year earlier" while also discussing his backstory. You might be right that his origins were maybe changed but they treated him as the same character anyway.

He even defeated the Infinity-Man IIRC

"defeated" is a bit of a stretch: he choked and blasted the guy once, he calmly told him that Gog would never return and left. Not to mention that Jay Garrick straight-up got shot with the same staff and nothing happened to him either, so I don't see it.

Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ouroborik

It's the same one from everything I've read, every secondary source also doesn't make a difference between the two either.

Editorial supervision at DC absolutely sucked at that point. I wouldn't trust secondary sources.

Ye

That seems more like a very soft retcon given there's no attempt to say this is a different Gog, and in fact this is directly contradicted by JSA #13 where they mention his attack on Superman "a year earlier" while also discussing his backstory. You might be right that his origins were maybe changed but they treated him as the same character anyway.

Have to disagree here. There is an attempt to say that it is a different Gog. They give him an entirely new backstory and his powers are very clearly different.

"In The Name of" Gog was all about time-travel and killing Superman. And his powers were superhuman stats a bit below Superman and the ability to generate time-clones.

"Thy Kingdom Come" Gog was all about killing gods and never showed anything relating to time-travel as far as I remember. And his main powers were superhuman stats significantly above Superman, without any mention of clones or going through time.

The way I see it that was clearly an Infinite Crisis reboot. Just like Infinite Crisis retconned/rebooted Superman and his backstory but kept some of the events that had happened before as being canon, that's what happened to Gog. Same thing happened to many other characters.

Also, I haven't read the issues in a while so I can't name the specific instance, but I'm pretty sure there's an instance in "Thy Kingdom Come" (one of the scenes drawn by Alex Ross IIRC) that acknowledges all the Gogs that appeared before the Old God version as being manifestations of the Old God in different timelines.

"defeated" is a bit of a stretch: he choked and blasted the guy once, he calmly told him that Gog would never return and left.

Fair enough.

Not to mention that Jay Garrick straight-up got shot with the same staff and nothing happened to him either, so I don't see it.

I don't want to be harsh on your work because I like you and I think your respect threads are solid all around, but I disagree with a lot of stuff in that RT. The difference between the two Post-Crisis Gogs is apparent even in the feats you show there and you just shrug it off as bad writing instead of acknowledging that they come from two completely different comics, written by different people, at a different time, with an actual reboot event between the two of them.

You just shrug off all scenes of ITNOGog getting beat up as low-showings for Post-Crisis Gog overall. They're not low-showings. That's just the standard power-level of one version of Gog which doesn't correspond with the others. The ITNOGog is internally consistent as even you seem to admit.

I mean, you straight up say that ITNOGog is lying about his powers during the entire arc because his powers are different in the TKC arc. What sense does that make? They're two different versions. Come on, now!

Also, the reason why Jay Garrick didn't get hurt is because of the JSA inconsistencies I've been talking about this entire time. As long as Geoff Johns is involved in the writing, no one in the JSA ever gets seriously hurt in a team fight. There are many more issues and fights throughout the series where the same thing happens.

I say this with a lot of respect for your contributions, but continuity and writers also matter when establishing characters' powers and scaling. It's not just about the in-story statements.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ProfessorRespect

@professorrespect said:

@ouroborik

Editorial supervision at DC absolutely sucked at that point. I wouldn't trust secondary sources

Sure, but how much can we ignore reliably?

Ye

Have to disagree here. There is an attempt to say that it is a different Gog. They give him an entirely new backstory and his powers are very clearly different

While they may have changed small parts of the character (a sort-retcon as stated before etc) the fact they directly mention his Superman ventures in the same breath as everything else shows it's the same person. The individual giving this information was Mr Terrific: from a narrative standpoint there's no reliable way of saying "he was wrong" let alone Terrific being wrong.

"In The Name of" Gog was all about time-travel and killing Superman. And his powers were superhuman stats a bit below Superman and the ability to generate time-clones.

"Thy Kingdom Come" Gog was all about killing gods and never showed anything relating to time-travel as far as I remember. And his main powers were superhuman stats significantly above Superman, without any mention of clones or going through time

This is all true.

The way I see it that was clearly an Infinite Crisis reboot. Just like Infinite Crisis retconned/rebooted Superman and his backstory but kept some of the events that had happened before as being canon, that's what happened to Gog. Same thing happened to many other characters

I can't see this as the case other than the difference in powers and changes in backstory. There's no indication this is the case and the comic itself doesn't try to get it over as a new Gog, in fact they do the opposite by mentioning his old Post Crisis work.

"defeated" is a bit of a stretch: he choked and blasted the guy once, he calmly told him that Gog would never return and left.

Fair enough.

Not to mention that Jay Garrick straight-up got shot with the same staff and nothing happened to him either, so I don't see it.

I don't want to be harsh on your work because I like you and I think your respect threads are solid all around, but I disagree with a lot of stuff in that RT. The difference between the two Post-Crisis Gogs is apparent even in the feats you show there and you just shrug it off as bad writing instead of acknowledging that they come from two completely different comics, written by different people, at a different time, with an actual reboot event between the two of them

It can't be a reboot if they aren't ignoring what happened before. A reboot is, officially, "A reboot discards continuity to re-create its characters, plotlines and backstory from the beginning." as per Wikipedia (ofc it's subjective, but it's a pretty good reference)

They don't do any of that there. They don't make Gog from the beginning, they keep his design and general outlook and modify other aspects. That's not a reboot, nor is it significant enough to be a different Gog altogether.

You just shrug off all scenes of ITNOGog getting beat up as low-showings for Post-Crisis Gog overall. They're not low-showings. That's just the standard power-level of one version of Gog which doesn't correspond with the others

Again this does not match up with the information given in the comic itself. If there was a retcon, it was one done really shit, because they mention stuff before the retcon freely, which is not how a retcon is generally supposed to work.

I mean, you straight up say that ITNOGog is lying about his powers during the entire arc because his powers are different in the TKC arc. What sense does that make

PC Superman as you will see mentions the fact that Gog wasn't from the future, he was just "deeply disturbed". This also showcases that they are using the same Gog, but explaining his old backstory as him being crazy and warping visions he was getting from KC Gog into his own weird version instead. He might have went to the future at one point, but his old backstory was obsolete by that point.

Also, the reason why Jay Garrick didn't get hurt is because of the JSA inconsistencies I've been talking about this entire time. As long as Geoff Johns is involved in the writing, no one in the JSA ever gets seriously hurt in a team fight. There are many more issues and fights throughout the series where the same thing happens

Yeah but this instance in particular was meme-worthy because they particularly mention that no one got seriously hurt at all lol.

but continuity and writer also matter when establishing characters' powers and scaling

They do, and when you have everything pointing to there being no difference between JSA and Superman Gog and nothing even suggesting he was retconned, I can't really agree with it.

Spartan101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Spartan101

SA superman had to bfr Grundy so hulk here isn’t winning.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SA superman had to bfr Grundy so hulk here isn’t winning.

New Earth Grundy, not Pre Crisis.

Spartan101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IloveParis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ult Hulk stomps, he fought Ultimate Thor, Doc Green (earth 616), he can adapt himself and he tanked a megaton nuclear bomb, and create magnitude 9 seism by having sex on the other hand Solomon Grundy is only a mid tier

Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect:

I mean, how much one can ignore or consider reliable is one of the main points of debates such as this, in my opinion.

I don't know if there's an official Secret Files issue or something talking about JSA Gog, but as far as the in-story information goes, my beliefs are exactly what I've mentioned before.

I consider ITNO Gog and TKC Gog to be two different versions that should not be composited. And until I see any official statement from an unbiased official-source stating that they are the same being, I will keep pointing out how different they are and how illogical it is to composite them.

While they may have changed small parts of the character (a sort-retcon as stated before etc) the fact they directly mention his Superman ventures in the same breath as everything else shows it's the same person. The individual giving this information was Mr Terrific: from a narrative standpoint there's no reliable way of saying "he was wrong" let alone Terrific being wrong.

I'm not saying that Terrific was wrong. I agree that Gog already had an established history in that timeline and had fought Superman in events mirroring the present-day stuff that happened in Action Comics.

I do not agree that all the backstory and time-travel stuff that was established in Action Comics was just an hallucination on Gog's part.

That would be completely disregarding the work of the ITNOG creative team and prioritizing the TKG creative team just because their comic came out later.

To me, if the character is portrayed in such a blatantly different way, it shouldn't be treated as the exact same character, especially in a battleboarding scenario where we are looking for consistency.

I can't see this as the case other than the difference in powers and changes in backstory. There's no indication this is the case and the comic itself doesn't try to get it over as a new Gog, in fact they do the opposite by mentioning his old Post Crisis work.

It can't be a reboot if they aren't ignoring what happened before. A reboot is, officially, "A reboot discards continuity to re-create its characters, plotlines and backstory from the beginning." as per Wikipedia (ofc it's subjective, but it's a pretty good reference)

There is A LOT of precedence in DC history for characters to receive significant retcons (if you insist that the word "reboot" is too much) while keeping some of their previously established appearances.

This has been going on since the Crisis on Infinite Earths days. Not every character received a major comic reboot after the Crisis, some of them continued their stories from where the Pre-Crisis era left off, but all of them changed in some way and they are still considered different versions.

Examples:

Aquaman was an half-human/Atlantean hybrid in the Earth-One Pre-Crisis continuity. In 1989 (two years after the main reboot had already happened) he received an all-new backstory where it was established he was a full Atlantean and only thought he had been an hybrid before finding out the truth. Most of the majors events in his life were kept the same and there were still references in the Aquaman comics of the 90's to stuff that had happened in the Pre-Crisis days when he had a completely different backstory (now retconned to be just a false assumption on his part). Still, Post-Crisis Aquaman is undeniably a very different character from the Pre-Crisis version and a lot of the Pre-Crisis stuff can't possibly had happened in the territory of his new backstory, yet some of the Pre-Crisis stories are still established to have happened in this new continuity.

Would you still composite them based solely on the fact that there are references to Pre-Crisis events in the Post-Crisis comics?

Martian Manhunter was originally established as coming from a version of Mars similar to 20th century science-fiction pulp literature. This version of Mars was shown to clearly exist, there were other Martians living there and there was never any reason to doubt any of that. In 1989, a Martian Manhunter miniseries established that the pulp science-fiction version of Mars was actually a false memory implanted by Saul Erdel to save J'onn from going catatonic, that the version of Mars he actually came from was completely different, all other Martians had been dead for millennia and his real name wasn't even J'onn J'onzz. THEN, in 1998, a few years after Zero Hour, a new Martian Manhunter comic series established that his current origin was now a mix of the previous two; the Martian civilization had been gone for millennia but there were still other Martians around, the planet was once again a bit closer to 20th century pulp and J'onn was his real name. Throughout ALL these retcons, MMH's career as a hero in the Post-Crisis stories was not significantly retconned. Mars and the Martians changed drastically between each retcon, but MMH was still acknowledged as the same character that existed throughout all these events.

Now, if someone were to create a battle thread pitting Mars against Krypton or something like that, would it be legitimate to composite the 1989 Martians with the 1998-onwards Martians because there were still references to pre-1998 MMH in the comics, and claim that the 1989 Martians lack of fighting-skill is an anti-feat for the entire Martian race?

Hell no! They're two completely different versions.

I can name several more such examples.

This is the same area in which I place Gog. Just because there is still some acknowledgment of previous history in his JSA appearances, doesn't mean it's the exact same character.

They don't do any of that there. They don't make Gog from the beginning, they keep his design and general outlook and modify other aspects. That's not a reboot, nor is it significant enough to be a different Gog altogether.

Isn't that the whole idea behind reboots? Keeping some basic concepts and changing others?

They obviously wouldn't change his basic design, or it would stop being Gog.

Again this does not match up with the information given in the comic itself. If there was a retcon, it was one done really shit

Welcome to the Geoff Johns school of writing lol

He does this in every comic he writes. Even if there wasn't any official reboot event he just creates retcons anyway.

Look at Brightest Day. He makes up an entire new backstory for Mera which directly contradicts some of her previous appearances under the expectation that people just didn't care enough about Mera to point it out (and somehow it worked because I rarely see people differentiate pre and post-Brightest Day Mera). And he reintroduced the "hybrid" backstory for Aquaman, once again with ZERO explanation since a couple of years before that the Post-Crisis backstory was still in effect.

I personally make a distinction between the pre-retcon or post-retcon characters. But you do you, it's not like there's an official rule.

PC Superman as you will see mentions the fact that Gog wasn't from the future, he was just "deeply disturbed". This also showcases that they are using the same Gog, but explaining his old backstory as him being crazy and warping visions he was getting from KC Gog into his own weird version instead. He might have went to the future at one point, but his old backstory was obsolete by that point.

If his old backstory was obsolete and he never displayed the previous powers of time-travel, why would I consider them to be the same character in a powerscaling debate? That doesn't add up for me, which is the main point I'm trying to make.

Yeah but this instance in particular was meme-worthy because they particularly mention that no one got seriously hurt at all lol.

Have you read the JSA issue where the Injustice Society attacks the headquarters and Wildcat proceeds to defeat every one of them? At one point he even challenges one of the villains to a one-on-one fight without using powers. And the guy accepts and loses the fight!

THAT is meme-worthy.

They do, and when you have everything pointing to there being no difference between JSA and Superman Gog and nothing even suggesting he was retconned, I can't really agree with it.

You said so yourself, his old backstory was obsolete and his powers were different. That's all I personally need to not consider them to be comparable.

But if this is an agree-to-disagree situation, fine by me.

Cheers.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect:

I mean, how much one can ignore or consider reliable is one of the main points of debates such as this, in my opinion.

I don't know if there's an official Secret Files issue or something talking about JSA Gog, but as far as the in-story information goes, my beliefs are exactly what I've mentioned before

I haven't seen one source outside of the comics that considers the stance that you are using here. You'd think there would be anything different if there were so many drastic differences, but I haven't seen or heard of any.

I'm not saying that Terrific was wrong. I agree that Gog already had an established history in that timeline and had fought Superman in events mirroring the present-day stuff that happened in Action Comics

......come on man, you can't really think that Terrific wasn't wrong, but also wasn't right because there were events that were close to what happened but not actually what happened: going off onto that train of thought is just way too many assumptions where you have to bridge so much without anything to suggest those bridges are necessary.

I do not agree that all the backstory and time-travel stuff that was established in Action Comics was just an hallucination on Gog's part.

That would be completely disregarding the work of the ITNOG creative team and prioritizing the TKG creative team just because their comic came out later

Perhaps, but Superman himself states as such alongside plenty to showcase that these prior events aren't set in stone, and draws the possibility that Gog wasn't completely reliable as a narrator. I mean we

To me, if the character is portrayed in such a blatantly different way, it shouldn't be treated as the exact same character, especially in a battleboarding scenario where we are looking for consistency

Perhaps, but I don't see any official or logical reason to assume they are two different characters.

There is A LOT of precedence in DC history for characters to receive significant retcons (if you insist that the word "reboot" is too much) while keeping some of their previously established appearances

I can accept that they might have retconned aspects of Gog to go into the Old God Gog stuff.

Aquaman was an half-human/Atlantean hybrid in the Earth-One Pre-Crisis continuity. In 1989 (two years after the main reboot had already happened) he received an all-new backstory where it was established he was a full Atlantean and only thought he had been an hybrid before finding out the truth. Most of the majors events in his life were kept the same and there were still references in the Aquaman comics of the 90's to stuff that had happened in the Pre-Crisis days when he had a completely different backstory (now retconned to be just a false assumption on his part). Still, Post-Crisis Aquaman is undeniably a very different character from the Pre-Crisis version and a lot of the Pre-Crisis stuff can't possibly had happened in the territory of his new backstory, yet some of the Pre-Crisis stories are still established to have happened in this new continuity.

Would you still composite them based solely on the fact that there are references to Pre-Crisis events in the Post-Crisis comics

That's very much different because there's actual inclination to assume that those two versions aren't the same character exclusively involving a lot of contradictory information. These two Gogs don't have any of that, in fact they try their best to bridge the two with consistent references to the older Superman material.

This is the same area in which I place Gog. Just because there is still some acknowledgment of previous history in his JSA appearances, doesn't mean it's the exact same character

It's not just "some" acknowledgement, they flat-out say "yeah he fought Superman" reference his earlier stuff and have Superman discuss how unstable Gog was mentally (due to getting flashbacks to KC Gog and confusing himself with him, which is used to explain certain actions he did in those comics). There's a very overt connection between the two, not just some stuff there to reference older material.

Isn't that the whole idea behind reboots? Keeping some basic concepts and changing others

They keep basically everything about Superman Gog bar the time clones and making his stats slightly better. His backstory is elborated and doubt is placed about his prior backstory, but other than that there's not really any reboot, because they reference very heavily his old stuff.

Again this does not match up with the information given in the comic itself. If there was a retcon, it was one done really shit

Welcome to the Geoff Johns school of writing lol

He does this in every comic he writes. Even if there wasn't any official reboot event he just creates retcons anyway.

Look at Brightest Day. He makes up an entire new backstory for Mera which directly contradicts some of her previous appearances under the expectation that people just didn't care enough about Mera to point it out (and somehow it worked because I rarely see people differentiate pre and post-Brightest Day Mera). And he reintroduced the "hybrid" backstory for Aquaman, once again with ZERO explanation since a couple of years before that the Post-Crisis backstory was still in effect

I personally make a distinction between the pre-retcon or post-retcon characters. But you do you, it's not like there's an official rule

I can most definitely agree that Johns is pretty hopeless at writing this kind of stuff, no argument there.

If his old backstory was obsolete and he never displayed the previous powers of time-travel, why would I consider them to be the same character in a powerscaling debate? That doesn't add up for me, which is the main point I'm trying to make

For me there's no official separation between the two, so I don't consider that as necessary.

Have you read the JSA issue where the Injustice Society attacks the headquarters and Wildcat proceeds to defeat every one of them? At one point he even challenges one of the villains to a one-on-one fight without using powers. And the guy accepts and loses the fight!

THAT is meme-worthy

It is, but most of the roster of that Society were D-tier baddies at best so I can get it.

YThat's all I personally need to not consider them to be comparable.But if this is an agree-to-disagree situation, fine by me

Cheers.

Sure, that's fine with me. Good discussion.

Avatar image for sar_annihilator
SAR_Annihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grundy.

Alastor0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers