• 50 results
#1 Edited by geekryan (5125 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome to the first Tournament of Psychics!

In this tournament, all of the characters are psychics/psionics/telepaths of some sort. Each participant will create a team of either 1 high tier, 2 mid tiers, or 3 low tiers. The characters and tiers were decided by myself and a team of trusted Viners who are experts on anything related to psychics. In fact, many of us contributed to the creation of a series of respect threads that you can check out here.

Choosing a high tier will allow you 10 perk points; choosing 2 mid tiers will allow you 13 perk points; choosing 3 low tiers will allow you 15 perk points. This is to keep things as balanced as possible.

The most important factor of this tournament is this: all characters may only use their telepathic powers! There is a perk to allow all powers, but without this perk, only telepathy and its sub-abilities are allowed!

Rules

• Everyone is in character but determined to win (i.e. not jobbing).
  • Team composition is a factor (i.e. Psylocke & Xavier Jr will not get along but they won't actively fight each other).
  • Standard Gear
  • In-verse knowledge is a factor.
  • Victory by KO/death. No incap or BFR.
  • Stats are equalized (strength, durability, speed) --> this still applies if you choose the "All Powers Allowed" perk
  • Psi-leeching is not allowed during the battle.
  • Prep takes place in a shared universe but on the battlefield. For prep anywhere, it will cost 3 extra perk points.
  • No outside help can be brought into the battle with prep (i.e. no characters, summons, etc).
  • With prep, your team should still lose against Shaman/Life Seed Nate Grey.
  • Marvel characters are current 616.
  • DC characters are Pre-52/New-52/Rebirth (unless otherwise specified).
  • Live action characters are composite.
  • Canon tie-in comics are allowed.
  • Feats from any new and upcoming movies/shows cannot be used.
  • Character requests can be made but you must provide a detailed RT and reasoning as to which tier you think they belong in and why.
  • You cannot mix-and-match characters between the tiers.
  • Characters at base are standard, i.e. no amps

Characters

***Once a character has been chosen/reserved, they cannot be taken***

High Tier (1)

Marvel

Jean Grey (includes Teen Jean feats, but nothing Phoenix-related is allowed)

Professor X

Emma Frost

Rachel Grey

Madelyne Pryor

Cassandra Nova

Exodus

Apocalypse

Shadow King

Mr Sinister

Moondragon (No Mind Stone)

DC

Martian Manhunter (New-52/Rebirth)

Saturn Girl

Manchester Black

Maxwell Lord

Mid Tier (2)

Marvel

Psylocke

Stepford Cuckoos (3-in-1)

Quentin Quire

Xavier Jr

Mastermind

Mesmero

Lady Mastermind

Nate Grey (Pre-Shaman)

Cable (No God/Savior/Omega)

Stryfe

Mantis

Maximus the Mad

Purple Man (Zebediah Killgrave)

Purple Girl (Kara Killgrave)

DC

Aquaman

Gorilla Grodd

Brainwave Jr.

Maxima

Other

FOX Charles Xavier

FOX Jean Grey/Phoenix

YJ Miss Martian

DCAU Martian Manhunter

Low Tier (3)

Marvel

Mirage

Blindfold

No-Girl

Sage

Gorgon

Psynapse

Typhoid Mary

Other

MCU Scarlet Witch

MCU Mantis

FOX Emma Frost

YJ Psimon

CW Gorilla Grodd

CW Psi

CW Martian Manhunter

CW Miss Martian

Matt Parkman (Heroes)

Perks (10, 13, 15)

Prep

• 1 hour of prep (1)
  • 1 day of prep (5)
  • 1 week of prep (10)

***Prep can be switched from the battlefield to anywhere (within reason) at the cost of 3 extra perk points***

Team

• Decent Teamwork (3) → characters will get along and willingly fight together
  • Perfect Teamwork (5) → characters will work in perfect sync/coordination
  • Basic Knowledge (5) → Wikia page
  • Full Knowledge (8) → All feats, complete history, etc.
  • Morals Off (8) → Characters are willing to kill
  • Bloodlusted (10) → Characters will do everything within their power to kill the enemy

Misc.

• Invisibility (3) → One character becomes invisible to all wavelengths of light
  • Mentor (4) → Professor Xavier will serve as a mentor. He cannot be involved in the battle but he will guide your team.
  • Cerebro (7) → Your team gets access to their Cerebro/Cerebra feats
  • Telekinesis (8) → Both teams are able to use telekinesis (if it is part of their powerset)
  • Prep Negation (10) → All prep is disabled
  • All Powers Allowed (Max Perk Points) → Both teams get access to all their powers

Battlefield

Battle takes place in Central Park at 10pm. There are a few civilians around.

Starting distance is 50 feet. Out of view.

No Caption Provided

#2 Edited by geekryan (5125 posts) - - Show Bio

Participants (6/8)

1. geekryan

Characters:

• Psylocke
  • Stepford Cuckoos (3-in-1)

Perks:

• TBD

2. Koays

Character:

• Rachel Grey

Perks:

• TBD

3. PyroFN

Character:

• Jean Grey

Perks:

• TBD

4. DiarrheaRegatta

Character:

• Cassandra Nova

Perks:

• Full Knowledge (8)
  • 2 hours of prep (2)

5. coraPVP

Character:

• Professor X

Perk:

• Prep Negation (10)

6. ElPendejo

Character:

• Emma Frost

Perks:

• Full Knowledge (8)
  • 1 hour of prep (1)

#4 Posted by Koays (11616 posts) - - Show Bio

Dam....ii let's do this.

I'm Koays and I pick Rachel Grey. Fight me bros

Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
#5 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (6070 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan Is prep anywhere or is It just on the battlefield?

#6 Edited by MorbusGrav (1506 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan: You should maybe put a few more DC psychics in, it seems a bit uneven. But that's just an idea.

#7 Edited by WollfMyth209 (17121 posts) - - Show Bio

Picking Sidious, who should be a high tier given his insane TP feats.

I'll choose my perks later.

#8 Edited by geekryan (5125 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

Dam....ii let's do this.

I'm Koays and I pick Rachel Grey. Fight me bros

You're in.

@diarrhearegatta said:

@geekryan Is prep anywhere or is It just on the battlefield?

On the battlefield. But I added a perk to make it anywhere

@morbusgrav said:

@geekryan: You should maybe put a few more DC psychics in, it seems a bit uneven. But that's just an idea.

They are much harder to place in comparison to the Marvel psychics, but I am open to suggestions!

@wollfmyth209 said:

Picking Sidious, who should be a high tier given his insane TP feats.

I'll choose my perks later.

Could I get a RT for him?

#9 Posted by WollfMyth209 (17121 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by geekryan (5125 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/star-wars-universe/4015-57038/forums/darth-sidioussheev-palpatine-super-respect-thread-1877280/

There's some feats left out, although the vast majority of Sidious' power is documented extremely well here.

Ok, I'll allow him, even though I'm not too versed on Star Wars except for the movies and games.

But, because of the insane amount of powers he has access to, I won't allow the "All Powers Allowed" perk unless your opponent happens to choose it.

#11 Edited by PyroFN (6645 posts) - - Show Bio

I am in.

Character: Jean Grey.

So, high tiers can’t have the Team Perks? And does the All Powers Perk apply to all types of contestants.

#12 Posted by geekryan (5125 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrofn said:

I am in.

Character: Jean Grey.

So, high tiers can’t have the Team Perks? And does the All Powers Perk apply to all types of contestants.

Any character can take any perk. I called that set of perks "Team" because most of them are team-oriented.

The All Powers Allowed perk will apply to every character in the match, not just your own team.

Avatar image for amethystgravity
#13 Posted by AmethystGravity (2357 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan: Could I have Dark Samus as a high tier? Her Phazon corruption abilities are at the end of the respect thread.

If not, could I have Gorea as a high tier instead? Either way, the perk would be prep negation.

#14 Edited by geekryan (5125 posts) - - Show Bio

@amethystgravity said:

@geekryan: Could I have Dark Samus as a high tier? Her Phazon corruption abilities are at the end of the respect thread.

If not, could I have Gorea as a high tier instead? Either way, the perk would be prep negation.

Sorry, but this is meant to be a tournament for characters who use telepathy as one of their main forms of combat or have it as one of their main powers. Neither of those characters are known to me in the slightest, so I'm already hesitant to allow them, and neither seem to use telepathy as a primary form of combat.

#15 Posted by WollfMyth209 (17121 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by AmethystGravity (2357 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan: Dark Samus's entire conquest in Metroid Prime 3 is her trying to infect the galaxy with her Phazon to mind-control everyone, though I guess if that doesn't count under telepathy/psionics, that's understandable. Similarly, Gorea's story is that it waged single-handed war against a galaxy of psionic beings and began stealing their power, and Gorea almost won until they performed an essence transfer assault as an entire race to seal Gorea's power.

It might seem like neither's primary power is telepathy, but that can largely be attributed to the Metroid series's protagonist, Samus Aran, having a suit, powers, and training all by the powerful psionic beings, the Chozo, and is thus defended against their mental abilities. It's like how Psylocke is just as known for her mountain-level TK and martial arts ability as she is for TP, or how Darth Sidious knows a ridiculous number of dark-side and light-side abilities, yet telepathy was key for his plans. Even then, most of Metroid Prime 3 is Samus fighting the enthralled forces of Dark Samus, and throughout Samus's fight with Gorea, Gorea was draining and using the psionic essence that previously sealed it until Samus finds a way to remove their essence.

That being said, if neither are okay, I could use a different character, like U-Mos, Emperor Ing, or Mother Brain, but if it's just a matter of familiarity, I take it none of those are well-known to you, either...?

#17 Edited by DiarrheaRegatta (6070 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan I've got uni exams on at the moment, so I'll just throw my team up as a reserve

Cassandra Nova (High Tier)

Extra Stuff

Full Knowledge (8)

2 hours of prep (1 hour of prep x 2)

#18 Posted by geekryan (5125 posts) - - Show Bio

@amethystgravity: Yeaa I have zero knowledge about them or anything Metroid tbh.

They also all seem to be robotic (or at least part robotic), which could make things complicated when everyone else in this tournament has an organic brain. Everyone on my list is humanoid too.

#19 Posted by geekryan (5125 posts) - - Show Bio

@wollfmyth209: After discussing Sidious with a few people, I believe he may be too powerful for this tournament. Dude has controlled billions of minds at once, among other things.

Would you want to use him if he is restricted to his Canon feats? No Legends/EU stuff.

#20 Posted by WollfMyth209 (17121 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan: Understandable.

His Canon TP feats are pretty lackluster tho, so I ain't gonna use'em. Just gonna drop out then, lol

#21 Posted by del_torro (3830 posts) - - Show Bio

Ackshually he controlled trillions and possibly quadrillion. If it was just billions it would be fine.

He's like God tier compared to everyone else

#22 Posted by AmethystGravity (2357 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan: Actually, the only one of the five I listed with robotic parts is Mother Brain. That being said, if Sidious is too much for this tourney, Dark Samus and Gorea probably are too, so I think I'll take a pass on this.

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
#23 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (7231 posts) - - Show Bio

What else did he do other than mind control though?

#24 Posted by thebuckaronatr (1925 posts) - - Show Bio

Could they still fight in a physical way with their equalized stats and does not the all powers perk break the concept of the tournament?

#25 Edited by geekryan (5125 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebuckaronatr said:

Could they still fight in a physical way with their equalized stats and does not the all powers perk break the concept of the tournament?

It is meant to be more of telepathic fight, but it isn't mandatory. I equalized stats to encourage the telepathic aspect of it so people like Martian Manhunter don't just go for a blitz.

The All Powers Allowed perk costs all your perk points and allows your opponent to also use all their powers, while also not costing them any of their perk points. It's a double-edged sword.

@lordofallhumans said:

What else did he do other than mind control though?

Shielding himself from telepathy, memory erasing, reading minds and communicating telepathically from across the galaxy, illusions, disabling senses, controlling emotions, etc. Based on his RT, he has done these things many times, on planetary levels, and from across the galaxy.

Controlling the minds of trillions of people puts him way above anyone in this tournament.

#26 Edited by LordOfAllHumans (7231 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan: just controlling minds puts him above telepathic combat feats? That's the logic that makes people think Moondragon is above Xaiver.

#27 Posted by geekryan (5125 posts) - - Show Bio

@lordofallhumans: Controlling trillions of minds at once puts him on a higher power level than literally anyone else in this tournament

#28 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (7231 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan: in range and mind control of fodder, yes. So you're suggesting he'll mind control these other telepaths despite their defensive and combat feats? Like I said, it seems like the same logic that makes people think Moondragon is above Xaiver. This guy is a force user right? Don't their powers of mind control diminish down to ineffective if the target has enough will or something about force mind control and weak minds? I ain't buying it if his best feat is mind control. I don't care how many minds it was if his combat and defensive feats aren't up to par.

#29 Posted by geekryan (5125 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekryan: in range and mind control of fodder, yes. So you're suggesting he'll mind control these other telepaths despite their defensive and combat feats? Like I said, it seems like the same logic that makes people think Moondragon is above Xaiver. This guy is a force user right? Don't their powers of mind control diminish down to ineffective if the target has enough will or something about force mind control and weak minds? I ain't buying it if his best feat is mind control. I don't care how many minds it was if his combat and defensive feats aren't up to par.

Sorry dude, but it isn't just the mind control, although that is the biggest part. Read through the telepathy section of his RT. The others I spoke to about this in a PM were all in agreement that he's too powerful for this tournament.

#31 Edited by coraPVP (345 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to give this a try. I will take Xavier with the prep negation perk

#32 Posted by geekryan (5125 posts) - - Show Bio

@corapvp said:

I would like to give this a try. I will take Xavier with the prep negation perk

Alright!

#35 Posted by ElPendejo (1677 posts) - - Show Bio

@greekryan so I guess I’ll use Emma and I’ll have the 1 hour prep and the full knowledge. I think that should add up to 9 perks.

#36 Posted by geekryan (5125 posts) - - Show Bio

@greekryan so I guess I’ll use Emma and I’ll have the 1 hour prep and the full knowledge. I think that should add up to 9 perks.

got it

#38 Posted by PyroFN (6645 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#39 Posted by geekryan (5125 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by geekryan (5125 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by ElPendejo (1677 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (6070 posts) - - Show Bio

I win by default, gg guys

#43 Posted by Koays (11616 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by ElPendejo (1677 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: Please Emma with prep lols tomorrow rachel lol

#45 Posted by coraPVP (345 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Edited by DiarrheaRegatta (6070 posts) - - Show Bio

@corapvp said:
@koays said:

@diarrhearegatta: @elpendejo: fear of Rachel and Koays kept everyone else away.

pretty sure Xavier representative or Jean representative would win

Xavier jobbed to Nova with 10x his TP tho

#47 Edited by coraPVP (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: she caught him by surprise when he was unaware of her presence. They have no actual fight, and his feats are just overall better

#48 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (6070 posts) - - Show Bio

@corapvp: She knocked him back when Jean and him were trying to get into her mind tho

#49 Posted by Koays (11616 posts) - - Show Bio

@corapvp: Theyd have to out argue me to prove it, and I've got more low showings and arguments against them to put them down with the helps of perks.

#50 Posted by coraPVP (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: what perks exactly? You did not declare any with your character choice. And Rachel will lose the low-balling war. A lot of Xavier and Jean low-showings are old while Rachel has a good number of them from more recent years

@diarrhearegatta: unless you have the telekinesis or all-powers feats this doesn't really mean much