Toph vs Azula

Avatar image for captain_narlowe
#201 Edited by Captain_Narlowe (228 posts) - - Show Bio

Azula each round, she would not hold back, was already able to destroy all kinds of defenses Toph showed us, is much quicker and agile, has better mobility, and is in the last round even very amped.

#202 Posted by juiceboks (25094 posts) - - Show Bio

Azula all rounds. Toph is great at versatility and grand displays of power..but unless she's facing other earthbenders she's not particularly impressive.

#203 Posted by King-Ragnar (4657 posts) - - Show Bio

Imo whoever's anthp says wins wins.

#204 Posted by MainJP (7098 posts) - - Show Bio

Azula every round.

#205 Posted by DJudgment (526 posts) - - Show Bio

Very hard to call this.

You have two prodigies of their selected elements. Both have shown amazing feats.

R1 - 55-50 to Azula tbh.

R2 - I have no idea what Toph would be like with sight so same as R1.

R3 - Azula no question.

#207 Posted by Wrathofthebrad (1244 posts) - - Show Bio

Could a moderator please ban this link-spam bot?

1. Azula wins, too nimble, too skilled, and too effective for Toph.

2. Might help Toph if she gets a bit time to adapt to her new sense, but most of Azula's advantages stay the same. Azula still wins

3. Azula curbstomps, why gets Toph nothing to make up for Azula's drastic amp?

Avatar image for raimundopedrosa
#208 Posted by RaimundoPedrosa (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

Could a moderator please ban this link-spam bot?

1. Azula wins, too nimble, too skilled, and too effective for Toph.

2. Might help Toph if she gets a bit time to adapt to her new sense, but most of Azula's advantages stay the same. Azula still wins

3. Azula curbstomps, why gets Toph nothing to make up for Azula's drastic amp?

Yeah, I think that the second round is a bit more of a wildcard. But as far as Round 1 goes, I just don't see how Toph can win. Her precision in tagging airborne targets has definitely improved, but her style (wait and listen for the opponent to attack) sounds like suicide against Azula...

#209 Posted by RaimundoPedrosa (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that this fight would be much closer if we're using Zuko, and in that case, I've got Toph taking a comfortable (but still worked for) majority, especially if we're using "North and South" Zuko who can now fly. In that case, I'd say that Toph takes a slim majority against Zuko.

But Azula just seems like a nightmare of a matchup for Toph. Bumi would do much better against Azula, and honestly, I've got him winning a slight majority against kemurikage.

Not even saying that Bumi really beats Toph a majority, but he's just way more fit to fight opponents like Azula who are nimble and a pain in the ass to tag.

Who agrees with me that Toph as of current loses to kemurikage Azula, but beats current Zuko?

As for Toph with vision, it's really hard to tell still. No one knows how she would be. Assuming that she could see and use her funcitons in tact, I'd give it to her over Azula for Round 2.

#210 Edited by thebuckaronatr (1986 posts) - - Show Bio

@mialthefencer: Fire Bending is not the weakest element in any way, it has just the biggest physical requirments and would not allow a blind and physically weak little girl to become an impressive fighter. Azula would be a much better Bender than Toph if her element would be really the weakest going by logic, but Toph is at the very least close to her.

#211 Posted by MorbusGrav (1657 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Azula, horror match-up for Toph.
  2. See round 1.
  3. Azula stomps.
#212 Posted by mialthefencer (377 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebuckaronatr:

Firebending has the weakest defense, the least versatility, the smallest scale, and is tied with earthbending for poorest mobility options. Even in terms of direct offense, firebending is no better than the other elements. This is disregarding combustionbending, which is a whole different ballgame.

Perhaps certain firebenders break the above mold - Iroh II showed amazing mobility, and Roku/JJ/Sozin/Wan/Korra all showed scale to rival the other elements, and thus my stereotyping of firebending is unfair, but Azula herself hasn't shown anything remotely approaching Toph's scale, versatility, or precision, hence my comment about Toph's bending being superior. Most or all of that can be chalked up to elemental differences, hence my comment that both Azula and Toph are excellent at their respective elements, but in a direct comparison, Azula's bending falls short. If Azula wins, it will be because of a matchup advantage and Toph's weakness, not because her bending is actually better.

#213 Posted by Masma94 (57 posts) - - Show Bio

Azula wins with her speed, agility, ability to fly for some time and lightning bending and cunning.

#214 Posted by RaimundoPedrosa (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Azula, horror match-up for Toph.
  2. See round 1.
  3. Azula stomps.

Maybe Round 2 will go differently because she can see.

@masma94 said:

Azula wins with her speed, agility, ability to fly for some time and lightning bending and cunning.

Agreed. Except Round 2, I think that Azula pretty much wins. But I would say that Toph can take Zuko, agreed?

#215 Posted by Masma94 (57 posts) - - Show Bio
#216 Posted by RaimundoPedrosa (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

@masma94 said:

@raimundopedrosa: I can perfectly see Toph beating Zuko.

Unfortunately, I just can't see Toph beating kemurikage Azula with the instant lightning. For people who say that since Katara has beaten Azula, Toph can too, Toph just doesn't have Katara's agility, intelligence (an area in which Katara can match Azula), and actual eyesight, not to mention insane adaptability as a waterbender, to pull off what she did, agreed?

Like, regardless of where Toph stands compared to Katara, it does not translate to her versus Azula, or Katara versus Azula, agreed?

#217 Posted by Masma94 (57 posts) - - Show Bio

@raimundopedrosa: Why would I think that Toph would be able to beat Azula just because Katara did ?

Toph and Katara are very different in their fighting and bending style and way of thinking.

#218 Posted by RaimundoPedrosa (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

@masma94 said:

@raimundopedrosa: Why would I think that Toph would be able to beat Azula just because Katara did ?

Toph and Katara are very different in their fighting and bending style and way of thinking.

Noooo haha I'm not talking about you. You and I are on the same page. I'm saying that that's an argument that's been thrown around here for those favoring Toph (even going as far as to say that she beats Azula while blind during Sozin's Comet), and that argument is a ridiculous one, agreed?

#219 Posted by Masma94 (57 posts) - - Show Bio

@raimundopedrosa: Unless Azula is very unstable and erratic just as he was during the finale or the environnement really gives a great advantage to Toph I don't see Toph winning against Azula.

#220 Posted by RaimundoPedrosa (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

@masma94 said:

@raimundopedrosa: Unless Azula is very unstable and erratic just as he was during the finale or the environnement really gives a great advantage to Toph I don't see Toph winning against Azula.

Totally agreed. @marishtar's sarcastic comment about Toph suddenly having reality warper powers to pull off her ridiculous ways to beat Azula cracked me up.

Just imagine that Lucifer Morningstar from DC invades the Avatarverse and grants Toph insane reality warping powers 😂😂😂😂

#221 Posted by noobsnowman (3687 posts) - - Show Bio

Azula is not stomping, lmfao.

Rounds 1-2 is close, 2 can go either way. Azula wins round 1 if she makes full use of her speed and agility, and figures out that Toph senses with her feet. It will be close, however, because if Toph catches Azula's hands with her bending and pins her down, Azula will lose.

Azula would win Round 3 convincingly. She is too powerful and versatile for Toph to handle.

#222 Edited by Marveld2 (387 posts) - - Show Bio

Toph all rounds

#223 Posted by Alsimmons77 (1949 posts) - - Show Bio
#224 Posted by Alsimmons77 (1949 posts) - - Show Bio

@marveld2 said:

Toph all rounds

No Caption Provided

It is literally impossible for Toph to win round 3, and still very unlikely that she wins any other round.

#225 Posted by Alsimmons77 (1949 posts) - - Show Bio

Azula is not stomping, lmfao.

Rounds 1-2 is close, 2 can go either way. Azula wins round 1 if she makes full use of her speed and agility, and figures out that Toph senses with her feet. It will be close, however, because if Toph catches Azula's hands with her bending and pins her down, Azula will lose.

Azula would win Round 3 convincingly. She is too powerful and versatile for Toph to handle.

Azula already easily destroyed Toph's cuffs and can anyways attack with her feet, it is very unlikely that Toph wins any round, and round 2 is not a stomp but also not very close.

Avatar image for crimson-feather
#226 Posted by Crimson-Feather (185 posts) - - Show Bio

Azula should win round 1-3, i don't think Toph could actively keep up with her or has any good counters. Azula can destroy the shields of earthbenders in several different ways, dodge and avoid attacks from above and the ground, and take a lot more punishment than Toph. And the last round is just very stupid, Sozin's Comet makes Azula even more powerful by a large margin.

#227 Edited by noobsnowman (3687 posts) - - Show Bio

@alsimmons77: Clearly doubt Toph was really trying because they weren't aware that Azula regained her bending by that time. And even if Azula does attack with her feet, what's stopping Toph from bending her feet down too? When Toph literally bend Azula's entire body, the only reason why she was confident was because of her Dai Li agents, who were earthbending practitioners, there to guard her.

When Azula tried to conceal a knife to trick Sokka to attacking her, Toph already sensed her intentions and attacked her before she could attack. It logically means that Toph would be able to detect Azula's attacking movements and strike before Azula could carry out any form of assault. Even if Azula manages to get some attacks off, Toph can also travel at incredible speeds by manipulating the ground to dodge Azula's attacks, which is shown as she managed to easily catch up to Team Avatar after escaping from being abducted using her bending abilities alone.

If Azula wins any of the rounds against Toph in rounds 1-2. she needs to pull literally every resource she has in her bag, because Toph is not very forgiving in terms of slipups. Especially in Round 2, because even if Azula tries to attack airborne, Toph wouldn't be helpless because this time she would be able to defend against it. The reason why I give Azula the slight majority in R1 is because of her superior tactical abilities and speed, but Toph is demonstrably equally versatile and powerful to make every fight very difficult on Azula's end.

#228 Posted by RaimundoPedrosa (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

@alsimmons77: Clearly doubt Toph was really trying because they weren't aware that Azula regained her bending by that time. And even if Azula does attack with her feet, what's stopping Toph from bending her feet down too? When Toph literally bend Azula's entire body, the only reason why she was confident was because of her Dai Li agents, who were earthbending practitioners, there to guard her.

When Azula tried to conceal a knife to trick Sokka to attacking her, Toph already sensed her intentions and attacked her before she could attack. It logically means that Toph would be able to detect Azula's attacking movements and strike before Azula could carry out any form of assault. Even if Azula manages to get some attacks off, Toph can also travel at incredible speeds by manipulating the ground to dodge Azula's attacks, which is shown as she managed to easily catch up to Team Avatar after escaping from being abducted using her bending abilities alone.

If Azula wins any of the rounds against Toph in rounds 1-2. she needs to pull literally every resource she has in her bag, because Toph is not very forgiving in terms of slipups. Especially in Round 2, because even if Azula tries to attack airborne, Toph wouldn't be helpless because this time she would be able to defend against it. The reason why I give Azula the slight majority in R1 is because of her superior tactical abilities and speed, but Toph is demonstrably equally versatile and powerful to make every fight very difficult on Azula's end.

Wait, but wasn't Azula more focused on Sokka rather than Toph in that fight? Wasn't it three against 1 (depowered, bending-free) Azula?

#229 Edited by BrainDrain (949 posts) - - Show Bio

Toph dominates if metal is involved. Honestly an AoE or something similar that overturns the land would immediately kill Azula if she's caught. Also I hate how everyone just immediately assumes Azula is going to use nothing but lightning the entire fight while staying airborne. Its laughable.

#230 Posted by Alsimmons77 (1949 posts) - - Show Bio

@noobsnowman:

Clearly doubt Toph was really trying because they weren't aware that Azula regained her bending by that time

Trying what, Toph never made any better cuffs, and they knew they had just a few minutes?

And even if Azula does attack with her feet, what's stopping Toph from bending her feet down too?

Azula's blasts who could easily destroy Toph's cuffs would stop her.

When Toph literally bend Azula's entire body, the only reason why she was confident was because of her Dai Li agents, who were earthbending practitioners, there to guard her.

Why should Azula let Toph do that in a fight?

When Azula tried to conceal a knife to trick Sokka to attacking her, Toph already sensed her intentions and attacked her before she could attack. It logically means that Toph would be able to detect Azula's attacking movements and strike before Azula could carry out any form of assault.

Azula was not moving at that point and just waited for Sokka, Toph could not even stop Azula from attacking Iroh as they all surrounded her and were ready to attack, what makes you think she could do it against a better Azula in a 1 on 1 fight?

Even if Azula manages to get some attacks off, Toph can also travel at incredible speeds by manipulating the ground to dodge Azula's attacks, which is shown as she managed to easily catch up to Team Avatar after escaping from being abducted using her bending abilities alone.

Azula can easily travel as fast with her jet propulsion, and Toph never showed that she could even dodge or use that other than in a straight line.

If Azula wins any of the rounds against Toph in rounds 1-2. she needs to pull literally every resource she has in her bag, because Toph is not very forgiving in terms of slipups

Azula if far less forgiving in terms of slipups, and Toph would have far more trouble than Azula to even tag her.

Especially in Round 2, because even if Azula tries to attack airborne, Toph wouldn't be helpless because this time she would be able to defend against it.

Azula don't need to use Toph's weakness to win, she isn't Zaheer.

The reason why I give Azula the slight majority in R1 is because of her superior tactical abilities and speed, but Toph is demonstrably equally versatile and powerful to make every fight very difficult on Azula's end.

How should Toph make up for speed and tactical ability, just by being able to see?

#231 Posted by katrurius17 (1420 posts) - - Show Bio
#232 Posted by RaimundoPedrosa (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

@noobsnowman:

Clearly doubt Toph was really trying because they weren't aware that Azula regained her bending by that time

Trying what, Toph never made any better cuffs, and they knew they had just a few minutes?

And even if Azula does attack with her feet, what's stopping Toph from bending her feet down too?

Azula's blasts who could easily destroy Toph's cuffs would stop her.

When Toph literally bend Azula's entire body, the only reason why she was confident was because of her Dai Li agents, who were earthbending practitioners, there to guard her.

Why should Azula let Toph do that in a fight?

When Azula tried to conceal a knife to trick Sokka to attacking her, Toph already sensed her intentions and attacked her before she could attack. It logically means that Toph would be able to detect Azula's attacking movements and strike before Azula could carry out any form of assault.

Azula was not moving at that point and just waited for Sokka, Toph could not even stop Azula from attacking Iroh as they all surrounded her and were ready to attack, what makes you think she could do it against a better Azula in a 1 on 1 fight?

Even if Azula manages to get some attacks off, Toph can also travel at incredible speeds by manipulating the ground to dodge Azula's attacks, which is shown as she managed to easily catch up to Team Avatar after escaping from being abducted using her bending abilities alone.

Azula can easily travel as fast with her jet propulsion, and Toph never showed that she could even dodge or use that other than in a straight line.

If Azula wins any of the rounds against Toph in rounds 1-2. she needs to pull literally every resource she has in her bag, because Toph is not very forgiving in terms of slipups

Azula if far less forgiving in terms of slipups, and Toph would have far more trouble than Azula to even tag her.

Especially in Round 2, because even if Azula tries to attack airborne, Toph wouldn't be helpless because this time she would be able to defend against it.

Azula don't need to use Toph's weakness to win, she isn't Zaheer.

The reason why I give Azula the slight majority in R1 is because of her superior tactical abilities and speed, but Toph is demonstrably equally versatile and powerful to make every fight very difficult on Azula's end.

How should Toph make up for speed and tactical ability, just by being able to see?

I do think that being able to see will give Toph the edge in Round 2.

However, I cannot see what she could do in Round 1, because honestly, Toph's entire tactic (to wait and listen) is a bad idea against Azula, because if she waits, then she'll get lightning to her head.

Katara did better against Azula due to her own agility, intelligence, and ability to keep track of Azula's location at all times, but Toph will not have that.

During Sozin's Comet, I'm pretty sure that Azula gets unassisted flight, right?

#233 Posted by RaimundoPedrosa (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, since Toph can create huge rockslides while jumping off Appaand detect him in midair from thousands of metersbelow, I've got Toph stalemating kemurikage Azula.

With sight, we have to guarantee that Toph suddenly got 100* better if she is to stalemate kemurikage Azula with Sozin's Comet... otherwise, Azula stomps.

#234 Posted by Wrathofthebrad (1244 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see(subtle pun) Toph taking a majority in any of these rounds, and if anything is Toph just a better bender in terms of doing fancy stuff but Azula a better bender in terms of combat.

Round 3 is nigh spite.

#235 Posted by RaimundoPedrosa (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see(subtle pun) Toph taking a majority in any of these rounds, and if anything is Toph just a better bender in terms of doing fancy stuff but Azula a better bender in terms of combat.

Round 3 is nigh spite.

No Caption Provided

Wait, I think that Azula is omnipresent now. If she's omnipresent, as implied in this scan, then she wins.

#236 Posted by RaimundoPedrosa (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

If current kemurikage Azula is not omnipresent, then it can go either way due to Toph's insane new senses and feats that allow her to create avalanches while in midair and not connected to the ground, but Azula's cunning, agility, and instant lightning.

If Azula is omnipresent, however, then she must win. Even Avatar State Aang can't beat her then.

#237 Posted by RaimundoPedrosa (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump...