• 176 results
#1 Edited by rogueshadow (29360 posts) - - Show Bio

Round 1 - The two face off 30 feet apart on a vast flat earthen surface with stone buildings spread throughout randomly.

Round 2 - Toph miraculously regains her vision and has the same fight on a vast flat earthen surface, with stone buildings spread throughout randomly. They begin 30 feet apart.

Round 3 - Same as Round 2, but Azula is powered by Sozin's comet [without instability].

No Caption Provided

vs

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for imboredletsdebate
#2 Posted by ImBoredLetsDebate (617 posts) - - Show Bio

Toph can't lose.

#3 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (31807 posts) - - Show Bio

Round 1: Azula. She can float around and land a clean hit with lightening.

Round 2: Toph, eventually. Earth is really good defense, azula's slowly going to tire out.

Round 3: Azula. The firebending in comet was far stronger..

#4 Posted by Funsiized (3882 posts) - - Show Bio

Toph probably all rounds

#5 Posted by dondave (41753 posts) - - Show Bio

Toph

#6 Posted by rogueshadow (29360 posts) - - Show Bio

@princearagorn1: I don't think we ever see Azula fly for a prolonged period of time, and when she does, Toph an sense the vibrations to know the precise move she's planning to perform in the air. Also, Katara was able to beat Azula [Kind of] during the Comet, but then Azula was batshit crazy in that scenario.

#7 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (31807 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: Well, azula just needs strong jump in the air and shoot one lightening. Like toph couldn't follow aang, she will get here, too.

The op mentions that she is stable in the comet case, and the comet makes firebenders crazy strong..

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#8 Edited by Petey_is_Spidey (11674 posts) - - Show Bio

Round 1: Azula. She can float around and land a clean hit with lightening.

Round 2: Toph, eventually. Earth is really good defense, azula's slowly going to tire out.

Round 3: Azula. The firebending in comet was far stronger..

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#9 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11674 posts) - - Show Bio

Toph probably all rounds

How. Round 1, Azula could just hover fly above ground, not letting Tophs earthbending senses touch her. Also, Sozin's comet is nothing to play with.

Avatar image for godemperorofmankind
#10 Posted by GodEmperorOfMankind (155 posts) - - Show Bio

Round 1 azula

Rounds 2-3 Azula

No flames will go over toph's defenses

Lighting dance si too long to do, toph would interrupt it.

#11 Posted by Funsiized (3882 posts) - - Show Bio

@funsiized said:

Toph probably all rounds

How. Round 1, Azula could just hover fly above ground, not letting Tophs earthbending senses touch her. Also, Sozin's comet is nothing to play with.

You guys act like Azula is a Airbender, Firebenders rely on there feet for a majority of their power, It's in the martial art its based on, its in the show. Don't act like she can fly, the moment the match starts, Toph knows where she is, The moment she jumps, She can tell the moment she lands, She could probably Trap Azula when the match starts. nothing says she can't, Earth bending takes less movement, and Less energy overall. Its more suited for One on One battles really.

@rogueshadow: Well, azula just needs strong jump in the air and shoot one lightening. Like toph couldn't follow aang, she will get here, too.

The op mentions that she is stable in the comet case, and the comet makes firebenders crazy strong..

Few things wrong with that. Toph basically Sees in slow motion, to a strong jump? Toph would in all likely hood be able to stop that. And then To compare Azula to Aang is wrong on so many levels, Aang used Airbending to soften his landing, Causing less vibrations, also that was a less experienced Toph. The same tactic will most likely not work. She has hit Targets in air. And the arena Gives her the advantage. Plus the "Jump and shoot lightning" Is wrong Azula has only ever show lightning from a Stance, And after a long channel. the only fire bender to not shoot from a Grounded stance was Ozai

I get the comet Makes her strong, but it doesn't Remove Tophs ability to Competently seal Her movements. no movements=No fire bending Save breath of fire. And that's not wining her any fights.

So to Wrap up. Toph wins because She has the area advantage, and Can simply stop Azula from doing anything. As She showed Earth bending by simply twisting her foot/Shaking her head/flicking her hand as opposed to Azulas firebending which took full body movements, and Full punches and kicks.

Side note: Why would the OP Give Toph her sight? It has never been a hindrance, and im sure that Randomly having her sight would actually be a detriment to her.

#12 Edited by rogueshadow (29360 posts) - - Show Bio

@princearagorn1: No, because Toph can literally sense the move Azula is going to perform, remember when we first meet her in the blind bandit, she can feel the vibrations in the benders body, so when Azula dived into the air she would just create and earth shield until Azula hit solid land again.

@funsiized: I gave her sight because it evens the odds as Azula can probably fly via Sozin's comet. It would not be a detriment, I kinda know what your thinking but I highly doubt it would be, if she were blind she wouldn't stand a chance against Sozin's comet Azula,she just couldn't handle that.

#13 Edited by Funsiized (3882 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: Sozins comet does enhance the Firebenders power, but doesn't make them able to fly...What? at most they can preform powerful jumps. And Azula has never fought "Flying" again, why do people use Ozais feats for her?

#14 Posted by rogueshadow (29360 posts) - - Show Bio

@funsiized: Azula can probably fly via Sozin's comet I said. Notice the probably. I'm not sure she can, but we have seen her gliding with it before, it is a logical assumption that she can fly during Sozin's comet. But I agree it is still an assumption. Regardless, Azula's Sozin power would still trump blind Toph in my opinion.

#15 Posted by Funsiized (3882 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: She was able to push her self up a wire While supported by the hand cuffs, that hardly constitutes as "Gliding" And you can't say "She probably can" when literally the only firebender shown using it that way is Ozai, and NO ONE is on his level. For all we know its a secret technique that he horded to himself.

Sozins comet makes her more destructive yes, But nothing Toph can't handle. she could encase Herself in rock, Traps Azulas hands, Trip her up, Ground her, Stop her movements. She Blatantly has the advantage, She does not need her sight, Never has, Never will. If you wanted to amp her, give her metal. But giving her sight is not a plus for someone who has no problem seeing.

#16 Edited by rogueshadow (29360 posts) - - Show Bio

@funsiized: Why are you so combative? I said maybe she can't, I agree, that argument is over I was just postulating a likely hypothetical to show how she could win. I still think that Toph would benefit from gaining her eyesight at this point, if she'd had it from birth, different story, she would almost certainl not be as powerful, but to me pitting Sozin empowered Azula against Toph would be unfair in my opinion. Can we just agree to disagree? Also, I disagree about Azula not being on Ozai's level, she isn't quite as good but definitely on top tier. Don't you think Iroh is on Ozai's level?

#17 Posted by Funsiized (3882 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: Look, if i came off as "combative" im sorry, i didn't mean to. i guess it's simply the tone with which i write.

Can we just agree to disagree?

No problem.

Also, I disagree about Azula not being on Ozai's level, she isn't quite as good but definitely on top tier. Don't you think Iroh is on Ozai's level?

Shes top teir yes. But Ozai was explicitly stated as the Best firebender Multiple times, by Zuko, Iroh. etc. Could Iroh Beat him? Arguable. Iroh was undeniably more skilled, But Ozai was younger and closer to his Prime. Iroh was Buffed after his Escape, But Ozai is at that level basically all the time. But tis moot, As Iroh would Beat Azula.

#18 Posted by rogueshadow (29360 posts) - - Show Bio

@funsiized: Oh yeah, Totally agree that Ozai is the most powerful in the world, it literally says in Avatar Extras that Ozai is the most powerful firebender in the world, I just meant Azula's in the same league. And no problem, for us nerds these forum can get pretty heated.

#19 Edited by PrinceAragorn1 (31807 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: In the blind bandit, toph was shown to be sensing the momvements as they hit the ground. For example, when the arena master jumpes, and scratches the earth. She felt it the moment he touched ground. Azula could easily adapt to air, landing in unexpected places etc. She doesn't have to shoot lightening. One strong fire hit should change things. And if azula gets close range using the jump, I don't think toph will be able to handle her.

@petey_is_spidey said:

@funsiized said:

Toph probably all rounds

You guys act like Azula is a Airbender, Firebenders rely on there feet for a majority of their power, It's in the martial art its based on, its in the show. Don't act like she can fly, the moment the match starts, Toph knows where she is, The moment she jumps, She can tell the moment she lands, She could probably Trap Azula when the match starts. nothing says she can't, Earth bending takes less movement, and Less energy overall. Its more suited for One on One battles really.

@princearagorn1 said:

Few things wrong with that. Toph basically Sees in slow motion, to a strong jump? Toph would in all likely hood be able to stop that. And then To compare Azula to Aang is wrong on so many levels, Aang used Airbending to soften his landing, Causing less vibrations, also that was a less experienced Toph. The same tactic will most likely not work. She has hit Targets in air. And the arena Gives her the advantage. Plus the "Jump and shoot lightning" Is wrong Azula has only ever show lightning from a Stance, And after a long channel. the only fire bender to not shoot from a Grounded stance was Ozai

I get the comet Makes her strong, but it doesn't Remove Tophs ability to Competently seal Her movements. no movements=No fire bending Save breath of fire. And that's not wining her any fights.

So to Wrap up. Toph wins because She has the area advantage, and Can simply stop Azula from doing anything. As She showed Earth bending by simply twisting her foot/Shaking her head/flicking her hand as opposed to Azulas firebending which took full body movements, and Full punches and kicks.

Side note: Why would the OP Give Toph her sight? It has never been a hindrance, and im sure that Randomly having her sight would actually be a detriment to her.

Well, no. Toph sees things in slow motion, but when it comes to people as fast as her/aang?

I didn't mean using fire to float/land softly. Going close range, or shooting fire from height.

Toph can seal her movements, yes. But against someone as good a fighter as azula, It's not going to be easy. Considering aang, toph and sokka couldn't catch her without any power (even though it was plot related, impressive nonetheless

#20 Posted by Rijehu (1707 posts) - - Show Bio

Round 1) Azula MIGHT win.

Round 2) Toph stomps

Round 3) Toph stomps a little less

#21 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (12613 posts) - - Show Bio

Good fights. I'm torn on who would win each round.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
#22 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6868 posts) - - Show Bio

Good fights. I'm torn on who would win each round.

#23 Posted by TheMagicStik (2552 posts) - - Show Bio

Round 1: Azule wins this, she just fire bends into the air then kills Toph from the sky while Toph is blind.

Round 2: Azula jumps off the ground again but this time Toph sends an earth pillar into the sky and smashes her back down to the ground and then Toph buries her in the ground.

Round 3: Same shit as Round 2, Azula is hella stronger but Toph is still one of the greatest earth benders ever, she invented metal bending, Azula sends a massive fire storm towards Toph who erects a mountain to defend against it then Round 2 is repeated.

#24 Edited by THUNDERBOLT30 (12613 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for man_of_miracles
#25 Posted by Man_of_Miracles (3551 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually think Toph would lose Round 2

here is why, she won't know what to do with her vision. She doesn't know how to use it in conjunction with her abilities, her sense will be overwhelmed, Azula will take advantage of that to beat her.

#26 Posted by Hyperlight (7671 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for man_of_miracles
#27 Posted by Man_of_Miracles (3551 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Edited by Rijehu (1707 posts) - - Show Bio

@man_of_miracles: Her receiving sight does not in anyway mean she lost her tremor sense. And even if she did, I'm pretty sure she could just close them lol. But that was a very wise observation.

#29 Posted by Rijehu (1707 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey said:

@funsiized said:

Toph probably all rounds

@princearagorn1 said:

^^^^ THIS

#30 Posted by Arcus1 (27804 posts) - - Show Bio

It's worth noting that Azula has wrecked Aang when he tries using earthbending against her. Now obviously Aang isn't Toph, but Azula has always done well against earthbending

#31 Posted by Z___ (1003 posts) - - Show Bio

Toph owns rounds 1 & 2.

3 is a toss-up. If Azula can hover properly to not be detected by Toph and attack, I give it to her. And lightning's going to be hard to charge and execute when it requires movement. Idk yet!

#32 Posted by pooty (16236 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus: I'm not sure that Azula doing we'll against Aang's earthbending is noteworthy for this battle. Not only is she far better earthbender but her style of fighting is different and her ability to read movements make any comparison between Toph and any other earthbender almost null and void.

#33 Posted by Arcus1 (27804 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: considering Toph is the one who trained Aang their styles can't be completely different. Obviously Toph's better, but imo we shouldn't just ignore that Azula has done well against a skilled earthbender while Toph doesn't have any showings (that I know of) against a non-fodder firebender.

#34 Edited by pooty (16236 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus said:

@pooty: considering Toph is the one who trained Aang their styles can't be completely different. Obviously Toph's better, but imo we shouldn't just ignore that Azula has done well against a skilled earthbender while Toph doesn't have any showings (that I know of) against a non-fodder firebender.

I think their styles are different. Toph is more direct. More agressive. Knows your attacks before they reach you. Aang never fought Azula just using earth(correct me if i'm wrong). He may have used earth attacks but i'm pretty sure he didn't survive just using earth.

#35 Edited by Arcus1 (27804 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: he only used earth against her in the crystal catacombs and used mainly earth at the drill

#36 Posted by pooty (16236 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus said:

@pooty: he only used earth against her in the crystal catacombs and used mainly earth at the drill

and Aang did pretty good against Azula, correct? A newbie did well against Azula. Now add years of experience plus learning directly from the badger moles and the ability to sense movements. Toph wins 8/10 IMO

#37 Posted by Arcus1 (27804 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: he kinda got one shotted in the Crystal catacombs and he almost died at the drill

#38 Posted by pooty (16236 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus said:

@pooty: he kinda got one shotted in the Crystal catacombs and he almost died at the drill

that's a very simplistic way of looking at it. Context is needed. Aang didn't get one shot. One-shot means Only one attack and the fight is over. that is not what happened. he battled Zuko for a minute then had a longer fight against Azula. and at the drill he was not only fighting azula but trying to stop the drill. both fights show a newbie earth bender doing well against a fire bending prodigy

#39 Posted by Arcus1 (27804 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: his fight with Azula was shorter than his fight with Zuko in the Crystal Catacombs, she blasted him away with one attack and went on to help finish Katara. Aang didn't do well at all. At the drill Aang wasn't simultaneously working on the drill and fighting when Azula blasted through his defenses.

Aang was hardly a newbie at earthbending, a novice earthbender couldn't have wrecked the Earth King's forces like he did when the Gaang attacked the palace.

#40 Edited by MetalJimmor (6541 posts) - - Show Bio

My memory is failing me. Does anyone have any feats for Toph's barriers that suggest she can block one of Azula's cartwheel fire kicks? Because Azula regularly blows through Aang's earth barriers with that move, and in terms of sheer power Aang isn't far behind Toph in earthbending based on what we saw during Sozin's Comet.

#41 Posted by ComanderMurf (598 posts) - - Show Bio

I completely agree that giving Toph her sight would hurt rather than help her.

Also if Azula even if Azula is hovering she is doing so using Firebending and in the show it always makes a sound unlike Aang airbending. So even if Toph couldn't "see" Azula she should be able to hear where she is. (At least her general direction"

There is also nothing stopping Toph from sinking Azula into the ground up to her neck as soon as the fight starts.

Sozin's comet makes Azulas bending more powerful it doesn't make her an airbender

#42 Posted by vVZxcv (56 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Zuko burned her feet even after she defended herself with earthbend.

So i would say,

Round 1 - Azula

Round 2 - Toph

Round 3 - Azula.

#43 Edited by LokLegends (486 posts) - - Show Bio

Azuka stomps all rounds. She takes flight and then blitzes Toph with lightning

#44 Edited by ComicStooge (22063 posts) - - Show Bio

Toph. Azula is overrated.

#45 Posted by Arcus1 (27804 posts) - - Show Bio

My memory is failing me. Does anyone have any feats for Toph's barriers that suggest she can block one of Azula's cartwheel fire kicks? Because Azula regularly blows through Aang's earth barriers with that move, and in terms of sheer power Aang isn't far behind Toph in earthbending based on what we saw during Sozin's Comet.

She doesn't really have feats against any firebender of note

#46 Posted by MetalJimmor (6541 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus:

Then I don't see why we should assume she can block Azula's strongest fire kicks. Aang's raw power is close to Toph's based on his Ozai fight, and Azula was able to blow through his walls and armors when using her strongest fire attacks.

Though I will point out that we've NEVER seen someone fire lightning mid-flight. Even Ozai under the comet had to land before firing each and every one of his lightning bolts. So it's unlikely Azula can take flight and generate lightning simultaneously.

#47 Posted by Arcus1 (27804 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by Sy8000 (35455 posts) - - Show Bio

Round 1: Toph. She has more raw power and precision than Azula's ever really shown. The battlefield massively benefits Toph and honestly, I don't see Azula getting past her shields or armor without at least some trouble. Azula's faster and more agile but that's really all she has going for her. She can't indefinently avoid Tophs wide or ranged attacks(I don't even know if she can block her projectiles at all). The only thing she could try to do is stay of the ground but Toph can track her if she tries to go on the building and she can't really propel herself in the air indefinently.

Rounds 2 and 3 are too speculative.

Avatar image for raimundopedrosa
#49 Posted by RaimundoPedrosa (796 posts) - - Show Bio

Azula DESTROYS Toph ALL rounds. And the Sozin's Comet round is a HUGE stomp in her favor. That fight's not even close at all. Azula is MUCH faster and more agile and perceptive than Toph by MILES!

As for "The Drill", that wasn't a fair fight, because Azula had THE WHOLE FREAKING DRILL helping her. Not to mention that Aang wasn't even trying to hurt her, HELL, he wasn't even trying to fight her! He was focused on fighting the freaking drill. Still, though, the very fact that he effortlessly threw Azula off the Drill AND stopped the drill simultaneously with Mai, who was on Azula's team, literally blatantly conceding her team's loss against Aang, accounts for a landslide victory in Aang's favor.

Now that the Aang versus Azula fight is cleared up, Toph is NOWHERE NEAR Aang's level. Lmfao Aang knocked her flat on her ass when they fought. It wasn't even a fight, but a one sided curbstomp.

Anyway, Aang used a COMBINATION of airbending, AN ELEMENT THAT HE'D MASTERED AT A MORE PROFICIENT LEVEL THAN TOPH WITH EARTHBENDING OR AZULA WITH FIREBENDING, AND earthbending to deliver the finishing killer move that put Azula, as well as her entire drill, out for the count.

Toph does NOT have airbending on Aang's level, or actually anything like that at all, to accompany her earthbending. Her earthbending is all that she has. Toph has literally NO feats of taking down ANY noteworthy firebenders, unless you count the few fodder soldiers during Sozin's Comet who almost killed her and Sokka.

Azula, on the other hand, has MUCH more experience fighting earthbenders and other benders out of her element than does Toph against notable benders outside hers. All that Toph's really done is beaten earthbenders much weaker than her. It's not even like she beat Bumi.

Azula is much more perceptive AND knows that Toph is blind. Hell, she was able to use this weakness to be advantage WHEN SHE HAD NO BENDING! Toph couldn't even TOUCH AZULA WITHOUT her bending. To suggest that Toph has ANY chance against a sane Azula with her bending is ridiculous.

None of Toph's earth attacks could land a hit on a POWERLESS Azula, who literally kept toying with Toph and making a joke out of her. As soon as Azula got her bending back, Toph's trap was effortlessly broken.

Azula is MORE than agile enough to evade her attacks even WITHOUT her bending. With it, Azula's offenses can easily break through ANYTHING that Toph can use to defend herself. Toph's offenses will never touch Azula and her defenses will be easily penetrated by Azula's attacks.

Azula absolutely one sidedly stomps Toph all rounds.

Take away either Azula's bending or her sanity and then Toph MIGHT stand a chance, but I'm still banking on Azula 6/10.

The only scenario in which Toph can best Azula one sidedly is if Azula is stripped of her bending AND mental composure.

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
#50 Posted by StardustCrusader (3148 posts) - - Show Bio

The phrase "stomped" is used far too often in Avatar threads.