User Lists: 43

Ting, from Nong Pradu

No Caption Provided

vs.

Ip Man

No Caption Provided

----------------

- No prep

- No gear (they get standard kung fu pants)

- In character

- Ting only gets feats from Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior, none of its prequels

- Ip Man gets feats from Ip Man 1 and 2. No other movies or real life feats

- Win by death or KO

- Fight takes place in THE CAGE (with Nicolas Cage as referee)

----------------

For more of my battles, click here!

Carter_esque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Carter_esque
Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carter_esque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

@carter_esque: We can't do movie battles anymore?

Naw, you gotta include at least one comic character. If you were doing a battle featuring a movie char. who's been adapted from comics (like Man of Steel for instance), then it'd be different.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

Naw, you gotta include at least one comic character. If you were doing a battle featuring a movie char. who's been adapted from comics (like Man of Steel for instance), then it'd be different.

Well, s***.

Thewhiteronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Thewhiteronin

Hm... This is a tough one, but I think a morals off Ip Man would win, but Ip Man with morals on would lose to Ting.

Carter_esque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Carter_esque

@joygirl said:

@carter_esque said:

@joygirl said:

Well, s***.

It's cool. If you don't know then you don't know.

Hegemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Hegemon

Ip man wins.

God_Spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#9 God_Spawn  Moderator

@joygirl said:

@carter_esque said:

@joygirl said:

Well, s***.

It's actually been a rule for awhile.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

I'd say Ip Man eventually wins. Ip Man's durability isn't up to par with Ting's, since Ip Man was dropped by one or two heavy punches from Twister. On the other hand, Ting was relentlessly bashed on by a formidable martial artist jacked up with tons of steroids, and was still going on fine (disregarding when he threw the fight earlier). Durability is a clear edge to Ting. However, speed is where Ting is massively outmatched. I'd say almost all of Ting's attacks can be countered by Ip Man, and the Ong Bak warrior will be feeling dozens of relentless punches right after. If Ting does get a hit though, his striking power is strong enough to potentially knock out Ip Man. Ip Man has good striking power too, but it's only when he's not speed-blitzing someone.

I'll go with Ip Man here but it'll be one close fight.

King Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Ip Man should be able to handle Ting...

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ip Man, he beat 10 dudes without taking a single hit. Plus, Donnie Yen > everyone

Carter_esque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

Ip Man, he beat 10 dudes without taking a single hit. Plus, Donnie Yen > everyone

You type true words, friend.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

Loading Video...

Carter_esque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Carter_esque

@joygirl said:

@rdclip said:

Loading Video...

No Caption Provided

Donnie Yen is amused by this video and counters with this:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ip Man was Bruce Lee Master!!!

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

Ip man.

jeanlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

Thank you.

Carter_esque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Carter_esque
Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Rouflex

Ip

Master of the god master because Chuck Norris is a god get it? Not my problem.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#21 vance_astro  Moderator

@rdclip said:

Plus, Donnie Yen > everyone

Jackie Chan>Donnie Yen.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hegemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree though, Tien is more durable than Ip Man. But meh, to hell with durability when you can hit 5 times a second.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

Plus, Donnie Yen > everyone

Jackie Chan>Donnie Yen.

Noy in Asia, in Asia Donnie Yen wins more money and more people go to see Donnie Yen movies, besides the fact Jackie hasnt done anything amasing in the new millenium, thing that Yen has.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 vance_astro  Moderator

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Noy in Asia, in Asia Donnie Yen wins more money and more people go to see Donnie Yen movies, besides the fact Jackie hasnt done anything amasing in the new millenium, thing that Yen has.

Jackie Chan hasn't done anything amazing this millennium but Jackie films mostly feature real stunts and seeing as how he was damn near 50 at the start of the millennium, I guess you can see why he slowed down, right? Donnie Yen makes good movies but Jackie Chan ACTUALLY does stuff in films that you will never see again, without wires and movie magic. That's why I say Jackie Chan>Donnie Yen. Jackie Chan brings something to the table that Tony Jaa & Jeeja Yanin are trying to do but Jackie was the best and still is.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Carter_esque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Carter_esque

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Jackie Chan hasn't done anything amazing this millennium but Jackie films mostly feature real stunts and seeing as how he was damn near 50 at the start of the millennium, I guess you can see why he slowed down, right? Donnie Yen makes good movies but Jackie Chan ACTUALLY does stuff in films that you will never see again, without wires and movie magic. That's why I say Jackie Chan>Donnie Yen. Jackie Chan brings something to the table that Tony Jaa & Jeeja Yanin are trying to do but Jackie was the best and still is.

Fixed

Carter_esque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Carter_esque

@rouflex said:

Ip

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Master of the god master because Chuck Norris is a god get it? Not my problem.

No Caption Provided

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I agree though, Tien is more durable than Ip Man. But meh, to hell with durability when you can hit 5 times a second.

Five times a second is not all that much for a normal Wing Chun user, to be honest.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 vance_astro  Moderator
Carter_esque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Carter_esque

@carter_esque said:

Fixed

Nah, Jackie is still the best.

How so?? He hasn't done anything in the last decade that puts him in the same stratosphere as Yen. He's older, slower, n washed up.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 vance_astro  Moderator

@carter_esque said:

How so?? He hasn't done anything in the last decade that puts him in the same stratosphere as Yen. He's older, slower, n washed up.

Donnie Yen is still using wires...that's why.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By OmgOmgWtfWtf

@vance_astro:

Uh, you know that Jack Chan uses wires in some of his movies too right lmao?

Hegemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

@lowlaville said:

Five times a second is not all that much for a normal Wing Chun user, to be honest.

I know it is easy for wing chun users. Jackie Chan is example. Against other styles, its simple overpowering with speed and forceful strikes. Though, Donnie Yen has thus far being the one that I saw showcase the full potential and effectiveness of the particular Martial Arts style. So my vote goes to him.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 vance_astro  Moderator

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

@vance_astro:

I'm not saying that Jackie Chan NEVER used wires. I'm saying it's never been how he was capable of pulling stunts off. Most of his films that feature wires have unrealistic premises (Like the Tuxedo, The Medallion & Forbidden Kingdom). Ip Man is based on true events and still had wires...

Hegemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

@vance_astro:

I'm not saying that Jackie Chan NEVER used wires. I'm saying it's never been how he was capable of pulling stunts off. Most of his films that feature wires have unrealistic premises (Like the Tuxedo, The Medallion & Forbidden Kingdom). Ip Man is based on true events and still had wires...

You know... wires are safety measures. Thats like saying just because someone regards his life more than acting, that guy is weaker than someone that doesn't use them for stunt feats?

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By OmgOmgWtfWtf

@vance_astro:

Honestly, the way you phrased it, you implied that Jackie doesn't use wires, when Donnie does. Also, Jackie Chan currently uses wires for nearly all of his movies. I can guarantee you that much.

If you watch his own reality tv show in China, called the Disciple, you see what his stunts involves, it includes a lot of wires. Actually, Jackie Chan is actually so proficient with wire works, that he is hired by movie companies to teach other people to use wires.

As for Ip Man being based on real events, I don't see what really has to do with anything. I can't think of any movie based off real life events that isn't exaggerated.

If you want to watch a real interpretation of Ip Man's life (as real as it can get, without being boring), then you watch Grandmasters.

Carter_esque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro:

Honestly, the way you phrased it, you implied that Jackie doesn't use wires, when Donnie does. Also, Jackie Chan currently uses wires for nearly all of his movies. I can guarantee you that much.

If you watch his own reality tv show in China, called the Disciple, you see what his stunts involves, it includes a lot of wires. Actually, Jackie Chan is actually so proficient with wire works, that he is hired by movie companies to teach other people to use wires.

As for Ip Man being based on real events, I don't see what really has to do with anything. I can't think of any movie based off real life events that isn't exaggerated.

If you want to watch a real interpretation of Ip Man's life (as real as it can get, without being boring), then you watch Grandmasters.

Was The Grandmaster good? One of my friends told me it wasn't nearly as entertaining as Ip Man.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By OmgOmgWtfWtf

@carter_esque:

The choreography in the movie was a bit boring. It was too realistic to be entertaining. Also, they have three different versions of the movie, which I think is really stupid. They have the Chinese release edition (130 minutes long), the International edition (123 minutes long), and the American version (108 minutes long).

The second half of the movie is also very boring lol. It drags on in some parts and some characters lack any development really, like Ip Man's wife.

I watched the Chinese version, which is the longest, I don't know how good the other two are, but my friends say that they edited the other two a lot and decided to switch some scenes around. Also, you should watch the sub titled one, I heard that the dub is extremely bad for the movie.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

@vance_astro:

And Jackie's body is beat the hell up nowadays because of all the injuries he incurred from doing all those crazy stunts from the late 70's to the 90's. As much as I respect Jackie for the hell he put himself through, I never have watched his movie just to see him hurt himself.

I'd rather minimal use of wires and stuntmen if it means the audience gets a healthy actor who can do more movies now and in the future. Anyway, people put too much stock in stuntwork, the choreography and action direction are more important in Kung Fu movies than crazy falls. That's why Donnie is my favourite active martial arts actor. Dude can put together one hell of a fight as an action director (or working with Sammo Hung as AD)

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forbidden Kingdom was good. Surprised nobody brought that up.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@lowlaville said:

You know... wires are safety measures. Thats like saying just because someone regards his life more than acting, that guy is weaker than someone that doesn't use them for stunt feats?

I'm not talking about safety measures...I'm talking about floating and using wires to do things that aren't actually possible without them....

@omgomgwtfwtf

said:

I don't watch chinese reality shows. I'm American. I have seen a documentary on his stunts though with him doing commentary about how he pulled alot of it off. No wires or safety nets for alot of his movies.

I'm not talking about exaggerating the story, I'm talking exaggerating movement and what the actor is actually capable of.

Hegemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: That satisfies one half of your argument. What about the other half where you said Donnie used wired on real life representation scenes. Want to eleborate on that?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 vance_astro  Moderator

@lowlaville said:

@vance_astro: That satisfies one half of your argument. What about the other half where you said Donnie used wired on real life representation scenes. Want to eleborate on that?

I did....

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

I'm not talking about exaggerating the story, I'm talking exaggerating movement and what the actor is actually capable of.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro:

I don't watch chinese reality shows. I'm American. I have seen a documentary on his stunts though with him doing commentary about how he pulled alot of it off. No wires or safety nets for alot of his movies.

Well, I'm Chinese, so I can say that your view on him is pretty skewed. He does indeed use wires to pull off moves that are not humanly possible, he does that quite a lot actually, as does the majority of others in Chinese martial arts movies.

Jackie Chan does this too, I fail to see where the difference lies?

Your initial point was that Donnie Yen was using wires in Ip Man and that is bad because the movie is based off a real life person and events.

I counter by saying that no movie follows real life events to a T.

Now you are bringing up an entirely new premise to the table.

So I'm going to counter this by saying that the majority of martial arts actors (at least in Chinese films) use wires because their old. Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan, and Chow Yun-Fat are all in their 50s and they can't realistically do anything you see in any of their recent movies. They are way too old for that kind of intense movements.

Just to put it out there, no one knows what the real life Ip Man done during his life before meeting Bruce Lee. Hell, he's only famous because he's Bruce Lee's teacher. We don't know what Ip Man did during the Japanese occupation of China or during his life in Hong Kong. It's urban legend at best.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 vance_astro  Moderator

Well, I'm Chinese, so I can say that your view on him is pretty skewed. He does indeed use wires to pull off moves that are not humanly possible, he does that quite a lot actually, as does the majority of others in Chinese martial arts movies.

Out of the Jackie Chan films i've seen I don't remember alot of "impossible moves" just fight choreo & stunts, unless it was a film with an unrealistic premise like Forbidden Kingdom.

Your initial point was that Donnie Yen was using wires in Ip Man and that is bad because the movie is based off a real life person and events.

I counter by saying that no movie follows real life events to a T.

Now you are bringing up an entirely new premise to the table.

So I'm going to counter this by saying that the majority of martial arts actors (at least in Chinese films) use wires because their old. Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan, and Chow Yun-Fat are all in their 50s and they can't realistically do anything you see in any of their recent movies. They are way too old for that kind of intense movements.

Just to put it out there, no one knows what the real life Ip Man done during his life before meeting Bruce Lee. Hell, he's only famous because he's Bruce Lee's teacher. We don't know what Ip Man did during the Japanese occupation of China or during his life in Hong Kong. It's urban legend at best.

I assumed that when you said that, that you were confusing story with action because that's the only way "no moving following real life events to a T" correlates. The point I was making between Yen & Chan in regards to wires or no wires is i've seen amazing things from Jackie Chan in films that were real, he really did them with alot of risk. Donnie Yen, makes good movies..don't get me wrong but I'm more impressed by Jackie Chan's process.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro:

Out of the Jackie Chan films i've seen I don't remember alot of "impossible moves" just fight choreo & stunts, unless it was a film with an unrealistic premise like Forbidden Kingdom.

Have you seen the movies Jackie Chan has made in like the last five years? They are far from real. If you are talking about his classic 70's and 80's movies, then I would agree with you.

I assumed that when you said that, that you were confusing story with action because that's the only way "no moving following real life events to a T" correlates. The point I was making between Yen & Chan in regards to wires or no wires is i've seen amazing things from Jackie Chan in films that were real, he really did them with alot of risk. Donnie Yen, makes good movies..don't get me wrong but I'm more impressed by Jackie Chan's process.

Donnie Yen didn't use any wires in his 80's movies either, but that has to do more with the change in cinema than personal preferences. Classical martial arts movies (like those with Bruce Lee) died after the 80's. All modern and contemporary movies use wires because A) it allows for better choreography and more sensual action and B) They are obligated by law to do so for safety reasons. If people didn't use wires then they would get into lawsuits left and right, Jackie Chan can do whatever he wants because he owns his own stunt crew, which works on all his films, because no stunt team would work with him, because Jackie Chan can't be get insurance in the US, due to the number of injuries he suffered in his life.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

So do Sammo Hung Jackie Chan Older Brother and the guy that teach all Jackie tricks, Sammo and Donni did SPL where they face each other in the final scenes, many people was amazed of how amazing Sammo and Yen still are.

Some Jackie Chan stunemen had said the whole Jackie Chan does all his stunts was a myth.

Donnie Yen was interviewed and said he didn't understand why people make such a big deal about the use of stuntsmen recently because from day one, in any action movie, a stuntsman is used. "I specialize in kung fu and when the scene is related to my area of expertise, I would not use a stand in. But do I have to prove that I am a super man too? I am not a super man and I can't jump down from three stories high building. If I do, does it prove that I am a good martial artist? For those, I would use stuntsman. For instance if I have been filming for over 10 hours and am dead tired, if the director gives me a break and use a stuntsman hand for a close up, would it not do? Does it have to be my hand?"

I am with Donnie, i pay to see them doing their fight scenes and a fight scenes is always better that any other thing you do in this movie.

Bruce Lee was open about using stuntmen, does that mean Jackie is better that Bruce?

No, all of them changed the game of martial arts movies, but Donnie is still changing it and Jackie dont.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@rdclip said:

And Jackie's body is beat the hell up nowadays because of all the injuries he incurred from doing all those crazy stunts from the late 70's to the 90's. As much as I respect Jackie for the hell he put himself through, I never have watched his movie just to see him hurt himself.

I'd rather minimal use of wires and stuntmen if it means the audience gets a healthy actor who can do more movies now and in the future. Anyway, people put too much stock in stuntwork, the choreography and action direction are more important in Kung Fu movies than crazy falls. That's why Donnie is my favourite active martial arts actor. Dude can put together one hell of a fight as an action director (or working with Sammo Hung as AD)

That's true, but I respect that. He put his body on the line to bring a more realistic quality to his films. Donnie Yen IS also my favorite active martial arts actor currently, but I feel like Jackie brought something unique to action films that many wouldn't even dare try. I don't think i'm putting too much stock in stuntwork, every action film has stunts, Jackie was just one of the best at doing them.