TheTmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheTmac

Gimli gets his axe,Thorin gets Orcrist.

They start 10 feet apart in a open field both are bloodlusted.

Win by death.

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Alyssabird

Thorin owns, did you see how badass and sexy he was when he stood up to the Pale Orc? I mean he got tossed around after the stare down, but yunno...

Bo88gdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bo88gdan

Gimli

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By The_Thunderer

Thorin, he's far more agile with orcrist and would kill gimli without him even landing a blow

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By tparks

bump

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Maybe Thorin.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Gimli like the mightiest Dwarf ever?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54
deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gimli seemed to handle fodder better than thoring, but we dont get to see him fight anyone noteworthy 1on1 in the movies. I havent read the books so I dunno if theres anything from it. I would say gimli though

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Thorin

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gimli's fodder = Uruk-Hai. Thorin's fodder = regular orcs.

Gimli 8/10.

CMSlager94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's just think about this: Gimli was graced by Gladriel herself AND was licensed to pass into the West. That's kind of a big deal. Not that his reputation would earn him a victory in battle, but it's an important peripheral note.

I think Gimli's warrior-like faction has been demonstrated more than Thorin's ever was. Thorin had a more notable story by slaying Azog, but Gimli bested Legolas—a godamn Elven prince warrior badass—by one in a Uruk-slay count (43 to 42). Uruks are formidably tougher, stronger, and smarter than the goblins that Thorin fought. We should note that Azog may have been over-rated in the theatrical adaption to his character, too.

UFT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

both killed fodders. thorin however has fought and slain an actual notable strong and skilled opponent (azog). as for the uruk argument, its mentioned that the dol guldur orcs were bred for war too.

Avatar image for anonymousgaming
AnonymousGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AnonymousGaming

If it is the movie version, Thorin is very OP and seems to effortlessly kill orcs (mainly down to bad directing) if its the book Gimli fought in way more battles and survived unlike Thorin. So book version Gimli takes it. I think the Uruk-hai are superior to the orcs in the hobbit because they are newer and smarter. Most the orcs in the hobbit are dumb misty mountain orcs, that's why they die so easily I think. Uruk-Hai and mordor orcs are actually a challenge.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, Gimli survived, and kicked a ton of ass through the battle of Helms Deep, the siege of Parimor (if that's spelled right) and plenty of skirmishes. Thorin DID survive Smaug, indirectly, and some decent skirmishes, but died in single combat (true he killed his enemy too)

Given their success record)

Gimli takes this and then goes and gets out drunk by Legolas later.

Avatar image for shepardoakenprime
ShepardOakenPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly they both kick ass but I think Thorin has this. He was able to fight perfectly fine after not sleeping and eating for days during the gold sickness in BOFA.

Plus at 53 he was able to damage Azog and survive which is impressive.

Lucano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lucano

Book versions? Gimli slaughters.

Movie versions? Thorin wins in a good fight.

Nufious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gimli

USSJ3071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thorin. he has the benefit of actually fighting another skilled foe. all gimli has killed is fodder orcs

theCrazyBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Book versions: Gimli pretty much stomps.

Movie versions: Could go either way. Yes, Thorin killed Azog, But he wasn't that impressive, Plus, the Hobbit orcs were stupid and bad trained as hell compared to Uruk-hai. At least Gimli survived his battles :v

I say Gimli 6/10 just because I like him more.

Btw, The Hobbit was a crappy movie.

ODIN619360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Gimli takes the majority. Although Thorin is a skilled warrior, in my opinion Gimli has been in a few more Battles with much higher stakes . And Gimli never seems to show weakness.

Xerolot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Xerolot

Gimli. Aragorn said that Gimli is the best axe user he has ever seen. It means a lot honestly. He has ~80 years of experience and training from the elves.

Thoromdil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie versions- Thorin wins in a hard fight. Gimli was impressive but Thorin? He was dwarf version of Aragorn in that movie. He displayed a lot more acrobatics, skill and strenght in his combat... probably technical issues played a role too - because the actor is much younger, but he still wrecks by feats and logic.

Books versions and composite - Gimli lolstomps. Aragorn confirmed Gimli was the most skilled dwarf warrior he's ever seen, and Aragorn has seen a lot. His battle feats like cutting down dozens of orc heads in every encounter beat anything Thorin has ever done and were impressive to everyone, including treebeard. Not to mention his stamina is legendary, he was able to keep up with elf and numenorian ranger (who basically have near unlimited stamina) in running 3 days non-stop with no rest or sleep, (and with impressive speed, since they covered more distance than horse riders were said to be able to achieve in the same time) and with his shorter legs he had to make twice their effort. Gimli is confirmed the most powerful dwarf warrior in the lore book-wise. Thorin doesn't even come close.

Avatar image for captain_inverse
captain_inverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol the thorin wank is real...

Gimli was portrayed 10× stronger than the dwarfs in the hobbit trilogy; who are pretty much treated like children.

Better gear or not, gimli would knock thorin back easily if their weapons ever clashed

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gimli wins.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Book versions: Gimli stomps Thorin with ease.

Movie versions: This would definitely be a closer fight, Thorin was able to fight off 100 goblin mercenaries with Dwalin but Gimli killed a warg by himself whereas Thorin got his ass kicked by Azog on his warg. Plus Gimli was able to kill numerous Uruk Hai which were better armed and stronger than orcs and goblins. So Gimli should take the edge.

onsipin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gimli seemed more impressive to me

Avatar image for xxbaneofdurinxx
xXBANEOFDURINXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gimli.

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gimli

AzogDurinsBane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, the Lotr meat riders are crazy. Thorin stomps Gimli both in the movie and book versions. Thorin has the blood of a dwarven king, and that means a lot in the Middle Earth universe. In movies, Thorin shows enormously superior combat skills and strength. Oh, and those who came up with Uruk-hai being stronger and smarter than the orcs in the hobbit argument are nothing but pretentious fans. Isengard's uruks are nothing but mindless beasts following Saruman's orders. while Azog was answering to Sauron himself. and the Gundabad clan is shown to be more independent and more of a nemesis race than a tool, unlike the Uruks and orcs in LotR. Thorin is like a legend among dwarves, he has the blood of Durin's house. Saying Gimli won against Thorin is like saying Boromir won against Aragorn.

abloodehnumpty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azogdurinsbane: Your only argument is that people are pretentious about Uruks being stronger and that Thorin has royal blood. Movie Thorin kills Orcs with ease, but so does his best pal Dwalin, who is not Dwarf royalty. To add to that, Thorin did not kill Azog or even Bolg in the book. Azog was killed in the battle outside Moria by Dain, and Bolg/Bolg's bodyguards mortally wounded Thorin in the battle of the five armies. Beorn (skinchanger) was the one who killed Bolg and avenged Thorin. Thorin was most certainly a skilled warrior, but we cannot jump to conclusions that he would stomp Gimli when he literally died to the enemy everyone is banking on being one of his 'feats'.

Uruk's are stronger than the Moria/Gundabad Orcs. It's simply a fact. The Uruk Hai were not new either, Uruk orcs were already a thing in Mordor. The Uruk Hai were an Isengard breed, but Uruk's in general originated in Mordor. Uruks are literally just bigger and badder Orcs who aren't complete savage beasts, I'd wager that Azog is considered an Uruk too. Azog taking orders directly from Sauron doesn't mean anything about the strength of his units, Saruman is a maiar Istari that pledged service to Sauron. The Uruk Hai took orders from Saruman, but they served Sauron's needs through him ultimately. If anything, Saruman is the 'stronger' commander, as he's literally a wizard lol. I'm not even sure what your argument about the Uruk Hai being mindless beasts serving Saruman argument comes from, literally all Orcs are mindless beasts if you focus on the fact that they angrily charged at you ;)

TLDR:

Nobody has mentioned that Dain killed Azog in the books, not Thorin. Nobody has mentioned that Bolg/Bolg bodyguards killed Thorin and it wasn't a draw. Gimli may not have specific enemies he fought but he was one of the Nine Walkers chosen from the best of Middle Earth and should be damn well respected.

PS:

How dare you insult my boy Boromir? He may have died but he died defending his friends against a battalion of Uruk Hai on his own. ;(

Cheth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the books, as the majority of the thread has already said, Gimli easily stomps. Thorin is an alright fighter, but he's not really a warrior, his only feats really being dying to Bolg off-screen with Kili and Fili helping him, and doing decently against the three trolls. Now this is, of course, impressive, but these are not the kind of cave troll we see in lotr; these are three largely minor trolls which saw fit to ambush the dwarf company one by one. Gimli on the other hand is a great dwarf warrior, and one that has seen major roles in a multitude of battles.

In terms of movies, Thorin will hold his own , but Gimli is still on another level. I often hear people mentioning the superhuman feats of Legolas, but I feel like Gimli's abilities are never mentioned? He goes through a multitude of battles, and gets tagged once when he jumped into the breach of Helm's deep to save aragorn. He casually takes down hordes of uruk-hai, saving Aragorn's life in Amon Hen, and in the battle of Helm's Deep Gimli gets more kills than Legolas. The short dwarf who's restricted to melee outperformed the guy who shot arrows far before the melee started and who can casually skate-board down stairs while slaughtering uruk-hai. Meanwhile sure Thorin is good, but he got repeatedly captured by minor orcs and goblins, was oneshotted by Azog in the first movie, and in his final battle he still just stalemated Azog. Or rather; Azog was downed due to enviroment, beat Thorin handily, and then got cheapshotted.